Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada rouge, a leisure airline

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 5, 2014, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Arcanum
Flights operated by Air Canada rouge

NOTE: Rouge Wifi information can be found here
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...l#post28448087

Dates in brackets indicate planned start of rouge service (either as a new route or replacing mainline service). ML placed before a date indicates the date that service is reverting to mainline.

All Airbus A319/A321 service is in the new Premium Rouge configuration with 2x2J seats. All other routes are Boeing 767-300ER aircraft in a 24J/258Y layout.

Airport codes in blue indicate that these routes are Boeing 767-300ER aircraft for all services.
Airport codes in red indicate that these routes are split between Boeing 767-300ER and Airbus services.
Airport codes in black indicate that these routes are Airbus aircraft for all services.

Routes are organized based on the established rouge bases of YYZ, YUL, YYC, and YVR

*Seasonal Summer Service

YYZ
Canada
YQT YQY YXX YLW YYG (02MAY-OCT) YDF YQB YQM (01MAY19) YFC (01JUL19)

USA
MCO TPA LAS FLL HNL SRQ RSW SAN PHX MIA PSP (14DEC16)

Mexico
CUN PVR SJD

Caribbean
KIN NAS LIR GND MBJ AZS CCC CUR HUX PUJ POP SKB SJO SXM LRM HOG SNU UVF VRA BGI (07JAN) POS (21DEC16)

Europe
ATH BCN EDI VCE MAN LIS PRG BUD GLA LGW

Central and South America
LIM BOG PTY

YUL
USA
LAS MCO FLL PBI TPA MIA

Mexico
CUN MEX PVR (18NOV16)

Caribbean
ZSA CCC HOG PUJ SNU PLS POP PAP NAS (17JAN) PTP

Europe
FCO ATH BCN NCE VCE

Central and South America
SJO (22DEC16)

Africa
CMN

YYC
Canada
YHZ* YHM (2016)

USA
LAS PHX (winter only - PHX AC Express in summer)

YVR
USA
LAS HNL OGG PHX PSP KOA SAN (02JUN)

Mexico
CUN PVR

Asia
KIX

Europe
DUB LGA KEF

What to Do If Your Flight Has Been Rouged According to the AC Rep "Air Canada Altitude": call AC Reservations, cancel and get a refund.
Print Wikipost

Air Canada rouge, a leisure airline

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2016, 1:47 pm

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
Originally Posted by mapleg
But I did see Toronto-Dublin return in Rouge for under $450..hard to say that is not value.
That is a fantastic value. Really good price.

Caveat emporium though, see Northern Canucks comment about Greyhound seats offering more room and comfort.

But a fantastic value none the less
Old Jul 6, 2016, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Northern Canuck
Montreal is mainline 319 Wed Sat Sun.
Yes it will be interesting.
I just may overnight at YUL to take mainline to BGI next year

Last edited by tcook052; Jul 13, 2016 at 5:42 am Reason: fix quote
Old Jul 6, 2016, 2:03 pm

Programs: AP SPG HH
Originally Posted by acysb87
I just may overnight at YUL to take mainline to BGI next year
And if you fly business or Latitude (I think) AC will pay for the hotel. Actually I flew rouge Premium (767) last year to BGI and it was fine, service was a little "rough around the edges" but at least they were pleasant and trying.

Last edited by tcook052; Jul 13, 2016 at 5:43 am Reason: fix quote
Old Jul 12, 2016, 10:33 pm

Premium Economy on Rouge

What does PremEco on Rouge (DUB-YYZ) look like? In terms of seats, catering etc?
Old Jul 12, 2016, 11:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
Feel free to post underlying support FLL is a high yielding market from YYZ/YUL/Canada

- 2 of the 3 dominant carriers at FLL don't even have a front cabin.
- The poster child for ULCC, no-frills service is the #3 carrier in at FLL
Of the top 6 carriers at FLL, only 2 - Southwest and jetBlue - offer no form of premium seating of any kind. Delta, United, American, and even Spirit, offer a form of premium seat, and combined deliver the majority of seats in the market. Business travelers who work for many of the regions large corporations provide a significant amount of premium fare traffic for the full service carriers like Delta and United and upgrades on these airlines are hard to get due to the volume of paid F seats.

jetBlue's numbers are skewed because they are using FLL as a mini-hub to service the Caribbean and northern South America, drawing a new catchment for Palm Beach and Broward County away from Miami.

I have flown countless trips on Air Canada between FLL and YYZ for years, and have never flown a flight that did not have a significant (they are not hard to spot) contingent of business travelers.

While I think Air Canada's decision is a faulty one on comfort and service alone (the same argument can apply to Rouge as a whole), it does not mean all of these markets are pure leisure and low yield....as with most markets, they have a healthy mix of fares...and didn't Air Canada switch other business markets to Rouge last year, IIRC, wasn't YVR/SFO and YVR/LAX flown as Rouge for awhile? Are those also cheap, low yield tourist markets?
Old Jul 13, 2016, 4:22 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Of the top 6 carriers at FLL, only 2 - Southwest and jetBlue - offer no form of premium seating of any kind. Delta, United, American, and even Spirit, offer a form of premium seat, and combined deliver the majority of seats in the market.
Don't fool yourself into thinking being served by J equipped aircraft means it is not a rock-bottom yielding market. Likely the only reason those carriers offer J to FLL is because they don't have subfleets of all-Y (non RJ) aircraft.

When they did have all-Y aircraft, FLL were among the very first destinations they deployed them.

United - Ted
Delta - Song
Air Canada - Tango

I would bet AC can sustain 1-2 Airbus year round on decent enough traffic... but in cold months when Rouge goes to 3-4 daily B763s YYZFLL, 3-4 daily B763s YULFLL and a handful of Airbus you can rest assured they are being packed to the gills with cheap cruise cattle and others looking for sun.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Northern Canuck
And if you fly business or Latitude (I think) AC will pay for the hotel. Actually I flew rouge Premium (767) last year to BGI and it was fine, service was a little "rough around the edges" but at least they were pleasant and trying.
I recently nixed a trip to BCN on AC as the routing had me on an overnight 763 ACr .
Mrs.acysb87 prefers a non-stop,I wanted a FRA or MUC mainline connection getting there.
No common ground,no BCN :-)

Last edited by tcook052; Jul 13, 2016 at 5:43 am Reason: fix another quote
Old Jul 13, 2016, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by iMedic
And BGI is a leisure route that is most likely filled with ACV pax.
Most definitely BGI has no premium travellers.

Which is why AA just dowgauged the route.

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Ame...s_A321_new.php

----

American Expands A321 Miami International Routes in W16
Posted: 12 Jul 2016 11:00 PM PDT
American Airlines in winter 2016/17 season continues to expand Airbus A321Sharklet (32B) international operations from Miami, as additional routes to be operated by the new aircraft.

Miami – Barbados eff 04NOV16 2 daily, replacing 757/767
Old Jul 13, 2016, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy

----

American Expands A321 Miami International Routes in W16
Posted: 12 Jul 2016 11:00 PM PDT
American Airlines in winter 2016/17 season continues to expand Airbus A321Sharklet (32B) international operations from Miami, as additional routes to be operated by the new aircraft.

Miami – Barbados eff 04NOV16 2 daily, replacing 757/767
10 lie flats,20 business.36 main cabin extra and 36 economy= 102 seats of which 36 seats are economy.

Rouge 763 is 24 premium rouge,35 rouge plus and 221 economy

IOW 37% economy on AA and 79 % economy on ACr
Old Jul 13, 2016, 5:49 pm

Programs: Qantas Silver, MileagePlus Silver
Of the top 6 carriers at FLL, only 2 - Southwest and jetBlue - offer no form of premium seating of any kind.
I believe Jet Blue announced there Mint product will be in the up coming FLL-LAX route.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 6:18 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
10 lie flats,20 business.36 main cabin extra and 36 economy= 102 seats of which 36 seats are economy.

While I agree with your point, the MCE seats are the same width as the regular Y seats, so I don't think I'd say they're not Y.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 7:23 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS

Actually, it would be this config that AA is using: http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Ame...us_A321_V2.php

The one you describe is only used on transcon NYC-LAX/SFO
Old Jul 14, 2016, 9:05 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by mapleg
But I did see Toronto-Dublin return in Rouge for under $450..hard to say that is not value.
That is a low price ... whether it represents value or not depends on who's crammed into the zero-pitch seat for 7+ hours.

Regardless, the fact is fares like that are also somewhat exceptional. Most often, we see rouge flights at the same price which AC charges for mainline service. If rouge were a true LCC, it should sell for a lower retail price than mainline on the exact same routes. Yet that has never happened. Saying rouge exists because pax demand lower fares is complete rubbish. It exists because Calin and his yes-boys all want a bigger bonus, pure and simple.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy

You picked the entirely wrong configuration which, when corrected, contradicts the very theory you’re trying to defend.
Further, What relevance is the gauge and frequency of MIA<>BGI when discussing Canada <> BGI?
Of the top 6 carriers at FLL, only 2 - Southwest and jetBlue - offer no form of premium seating of any kind. Delta, United, American, and even Spirit, offer a form of premium seat,
Wait, Are you including a heavy Spirit Airlines presence to substantiate a high yielding market position?
and combined deliver the majority of seats in the market.
Actually, they don’t deliver a majority. And that’s even allowing the insane premise of including Spirit in the “high yielding, front cabin” theory
Business travelers who work for many of the regions large corporations provide a significant amount of premium fare traffic for the full service carriers like Delta and United and upgrades on these airlines are hard to get due to the volume of paid F seats.
Do you realize how relatively tiny UAL is @ FLL?
What large Corps are heavy users at FLL?
While I think Air Canada's decision is a faulty one on comfort and service alone (the same argument can apply to Rouge as a whole), it does not mean all of these markets are pure leisure and low yield....as with most markets, they have a healthy mix of fares
That healthy mix is the key. Airlines keep premium offerings where healthy appetite for them remains.
Ontario+Quebec>FLL is a gigantic market. Enormous. Obviously, there is some business connection. Overwhelmingly it’s vacation/snowbird traffic. Granted, some of that market is wealthy and ready to purchase front cabin fares. Vast majority just want to make it down safely and as cheap as possible
IIRC, wasn't YVR/SFO and YVR/LAX flown as Rouge for awhile? Are those also cheap, low yield tourist markets?
Ask Alaskan what % of the local Vancouver<>California market is comprised of all this Hollywood elite buying full J that we hear so much about.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 9:54 am

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
Ask Alaskan what % of the local Vancouver<>California market is comprised of all this Hollywood elite buying full J that we hear so much about.
YVR-SFO is a very weird route.

I've been the only one in J.

I've been the only one who "asked" to be in J (i.e. the rest were opups).

I've missed upgrades as SE in M class.

I've been unable to book with a Latitude FP (requires Y space).

I've been unable to do complimentary upgrade with a Latitude FP (requires J space).

One week I'd totally believe "no one pays real money for this route". The next, the entire day is J0Y0, and even if I were willing to spend $2000, I couldn't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.