Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada rouge, a leisure airline

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 5, 2014, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Arcanum
Flights operated by Air Canada rouge

NOTE: Rouge Wifi information can be found here
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...l#post28448087

Dates in brackets indicate planned start of rouge service (either as a new route or replacing mainline service). ML placed before a date indicates the date that service is reverting to mainline.

All Airbus A319/A321 service is in the new Premium Rouge configuration with 2x2J seats. All other routes are Boeing 767-300ER aircraft in a 24J/258Y layout.

Airport codes in blue indicate that these routes are Boeing 767-300ER aircraft for all services.
Airport codes in red indicate that these routes are split between Boeing 767-300ER and Airbus services.
Airport codes in black indicate that these routes are Airbus aircraft for all services.

Routes are organized based on the established rouge bases of YYZ, YUL, YYC, and YVR

*Seasonal Summer Service

YYZ
Canada
YQT YQY YXX YLW YYG (02MAY-OCT) YDF YQB YQM (01MAY19) YFC (01JUL19)

USA
MCO TPA LAS FLL HNL SRQ RSW SAN PHX MIA PSP (14DEC16)

Mexico
CUN PVR SJD

Caribbean
KIN NAS LIR GND MBJ AZS CCC CUR HUX PUJ POP SKB SJO SXM LRM HOG SNU UVF VRA BGI (07JAN) POS (21DEC16)

Europe
ATH BCN EDI VCE MAN LIS PRG BUD GLA LGW

Central and South America
LIM BOG PTY

YUL
USA
LAS MCO FLL PBI TPA MIA

Mexico
CUN MEX PVR (18NOV16)

Caribbean
ZSA CCC HOG PUJ SNU PLS POP PAP NAS (17JAN) PTP

Europe
FCO ATH BCN NCE VCE

Central and South America
SJO (22DEC16)

Africa
CMN

YYC
Canada
YHZ* YHM (2016)

USA
LAS PHX (winter only - PHX AC Express in summer)

YVR
USA
LAS HNL OGG PHX PSP KOA SAN (02JUN)

Mexico
CUN PVR

Asia
KIX

Europe
DUB LGA KEF

What to Do If Your Flight Has Been Rouged According to the AC Rep "Air Canada Altitude": call AC Reservations, cancel and get a refund.
Print Wikipost

Air Canada rouge, a leisure airline

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2016, 12:04 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I've had 3 Rouge crews - they all followed the same general theme - untrained, poor communication, juvenile, lacking service acumen - my last crew was so bad, the FA couldn't properly brief the exit row passengers on how to handle the exit door, or their duties and I received a PM from the AC rep on FT.

If they're better now, I'd hate to know what they were like at launch. Obviously a lower cost airline like Rouge is going to be paying regional airline pay scales to their crews, and not exactly attracting service industry veterans or bucketloads of resumes where they can select the cream of the applicant base.
I had a fantastic Rouge crew BCN-YYZ a couple of years ago. The SD was very energetic and worked nonstop to make the flight experience great.

I haven't had the chance to fly Rouge since.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 4:27 pm

Programs: AC*SE 1MM. a bunch of hotel programs.
Originally Posted by Diabeetus
I had a fantastic Rouge crew BCN-YYZ a couple of years ago. The SD was very energetic and worked nonstop to make the flight experience great.

I haven't had the chance to fly Rouge since.
i have flown Rouge on several US, South America and Europe routes and they have always been great. Enthusiastic, fun and very easy n the eyes
Old Jul 1, 2016, 5:13 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Originally Posted by D582
The iPads are connected to the wifi network for streaming. The rouge provided iPads also have additional content locally but are still on the wifi. They would just need to update the server software to add a map feature.
I'd think the "server" would have to have connectivity to avionics or some sort of position sensor. At present it might just be some raspberry pi with a USB disk and pre-torrented movies acting as a NAS.

Originally Posted by kwflyer
I would like you to say that on a 5+ hour flight in y- on a 319. With poms poms on both hands.
Rouge is awesome. You are wrong. Pompoms might be considered annoying by other pax.

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Nothing wrong with Rouge. Cheap customers deserve what they pay for.

I'll sit in the front, thanks. As far as the bottom feeders go, I vote to reduce seat pitch even further.

My patience with cheap people is at an all time low.
I was still paying AC prices on YVR-SFO when it was Rouge. Not sure if "cheap" is the right word to use, but ok. DL F is cheap on that route.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 5:29 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
The only rouge routes I have flown regularly on are YVR-SFO and YVR-LAX and I can attest to the fact that there has been zero change in fares when going from mainline to rouge and now back again.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 10:16 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by eigenvector
The only rouge routes I have flown regularly on are YVR-SFO and YVR-LAX and I can attest to the fact that there has been zero change in fares when going from mainline to rouge and now back again.
Precisely. This "pax are cheap" argument grows more tiresome everyday as there's mounting evidence that the paying public isn't saving any money.

It's been said a million times: rouge is an LCC to the airline, not to the passengers.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 10:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by ffsim
Precisely. This "pax are cheap" argument grows more tiresome everyday as there's mounting evidence that the paying public isn't saving any money.

It's been said a million times: rouge is an LCC to the airline, not to the passengers.
Your assumption is incorrect based on the # of routes I have setup for monitoring prices that have gone Rouged from ML.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 11:41 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Your assumption is incorrect based on the # of routes I have setup for monitoring prices that have gone Rouged from ML.
My "assumption" is based in the rouge routes I've flown personally. As I generally fly for business, I have detailed receipts of actual purchases which back up my statement. It seems even eigenvector has noticed a similar pattern.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 1:56 pm

It's not cheap customers, it's a cheap airline. In fact, fares YYZ/FLL have INCREASED since the change to Rouge.
Fares increasing yet AA is cutting seats in the market YoY. Strange
FLL is also a very busy business market with YYZ
If you say so.
Not all "business" is created equal.
I need to go to Japan during the year to visit my factory in Sabae - would I take a quick hop from SEA to YVR and "Rouge" to KIX and pocket the savings? Not a chance. I'll take a real airline like NH from SEA or UA via SFO, land in NRT and take the train from there vs spending 11hrs miserable hours in Rouge.
It's simple to compare what AC has to send to a junk yield destination (KIX) to what "real airlines" send to NRT
Rouge might be fine for seasonal vacation/package markets in the Caribbean, Orlando, Mexico and Europe carrying tourists on cheap deals, but exchanging higher yield markets like FLL and MIA for Rouge service is just miserable
....and Osaka?? What cheap vacation deals are to be had in Osaka, clearly a business market.
Osaka and FLL = higher yielding markets.
You have to be kidding
Originally Posted by eigenvector
I can attest AS left the market since Rouge arrived.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 11:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by CloudsBelow

Osaka and FLL = higher yielding markets.
You have to be kidding.
Your completely inaccurate and prejudicial comments on the FLL market has been noted from previous posts. It's flat out incorrect.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 7:09 am

Your completely inaccurate and prejudicial comments on the FLL market has been noted from previous posts. It's flat out incorrect.
Feel free to post underlying support FLL is a high yielding market from YYZ/YUL/Canada

- 2 of the 3 dominant carriers at FLL don't even have a front cabin.
- The poster child for ULCC, no-frills service is the #3 carrier in at FLL
Old Jul 5, 2016, 12:57 pm

I was just looking for a flight from Toronto to Barcelona and saw that Rouge appears to be my only non-stop option. I've seen all the reviews saying avoid Rouge like the plague but my only other option would be to spend $100 more to have a 4 hour layover in Frankfurt. Is Rouge's economy really that much worse than regular economy?
Old Jul 5, 2016, 1:14 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by greg898
I was just looking for a flight from Toronto to Barcelona and saw that Rouge appears to be my only non-stop option. I've seen all the reviews saying avoid Rouge like the plague but my only other option would be to spend $100 more to have a 4 hour layover in Frankfurt. Is Rouge's economy really that much worse than regular economy?
My comparison would be the difference between taking a city bus and a greyhound bus. Both kinda suck (in economy), but the level of discomfort you get from being crowded into a city bus for a long trip vs a greyhound bus for a long trip... actually has more to do with your fellow passengers than the product.

I would personally take the layover for mainline.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 1:18 pm

Programs: AC SE
I would suggest taking the direct flight with Rouge and use the 100$ you save to buy preferred seats in Y, which are quite acceptable when compared to mainline.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 1:22 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
greg898: I'll summarize the hundreds of pages in this thread:

(1) Rouge's short haul economy(Airbus narrowbody) is terrible, the long haul (767) somewhat worse than mainline 777 (which some find intolerable). Some folks will chime in and say that Rouge is great in plus or premium. It comes down to how tall you are and what seat pitch you can handle. Have you ever taken a charter on Sunwing/Transat/etc to Cuba? Rouge economy will be similar, though the flight will be longer. Are you flying alone? An upgrade to Rouge+ might be worthwhile to save the layover and still be comfy.

(2) Some will chime in that they like the younger, friendlier, possibly goofier FA's. Others will say that their training is inadequate and they are unprofessional.

Disclaimer: I haven't flown Rouge myself, but I spend far too much time reading FT, and since you are a new poster I'll save you the trouble of reading 435 pages of this thread.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 1:50 pm

It really depends on how value your time, comfort and of course your money.

I'm going to assume this is a leisure trip and you're going with family (kids?), and if that's the case your best bet would probably be getting preferred seats on the rouge flight, so you don't have to deal with the connection in FRA.

However i will concede i've never flown rouge in the back, only up front and only within north america, so I don't know how bad or good it actually is. My first TATL with rouge won't be till September when my partner and I fly back from DUB. And even then we will be up front. Also if you happen to go back a few dozen pages, I had a post outlining that I was overruled by my partner and her desire for a direct flight. I tried to convince her that connecting through LHR and paying an extra couple hundred for J was our best bet. She obviously didn't agree. But I have a recording of her saying it won't be *that* bad which I will be playing for her when she inevitably complains about her butt hurting somewhere over the atlantic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.