Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The R Games

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2017, 11:00 am

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by Plumber
The chances of R appearing before the day of flight are slim.

But as an SE in N class, I would think the chances are ok. Of course, some will choose the eupgrade bidding option/LMU, so its hard to say what will be left after that.

Biggest thing is to check in as close to T-24 as possible, as check-in time could become a deciding factor.
Also don't forget that anyone flying AC33 YYZ-YVR-SYD will likely have priority over the OP when it comes to gate upgrades.
Plumber, spriteguy and Diabeetus like this.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 7:18 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by lcohen999
The letter R and SYD generally do not go together Especially if J is less than 9. Good luck!
So, to add a sense of irony. I am off to SYD on the 25th, they did clear my upgrade in advance and the flight is currently sitting R1.

So it does happen...
Plumber likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 7:52 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
So, to add a sense of irony. I am off to SYD on the 25th, they did clear my upgrade in advance and the flight is currently sitting R1.

So it does happen...
Maybe the 26/11 flight can be moved a day early Given time zones I'm surprised there is more R space on a flight that likely arrives 10am Monday vs the same time Tuesday...
Old Nov 24, 2017, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by jc94
Maybe the 26/11 flight can be moved a day early Given time zones I'm surprised there is more R space on a flight that likely arrives 10am Monday vs the same time Tuesday...
If you are an SE, in PE and J is more than one or two, you should probably be OK

There isn't anyone really higher on the list other than SEMM or someone who purchased an O class ticket.

Good luck!
Diabeetus and jc94 like this.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 1:20 pm

So it does happen...
I've been watching the last few days for YVR to STD. Mon and Tue there was R space released 48 hours before. Then the one on Sat appeared today. No R space for Friday but it's only J7. I'm watching the upgrade list on the app. The last few days, 2 or 3 people were upgraded to business.

It's odd though as 2-3 hours before the flight the upgrade list becomes unavailable on the app.

Enjoy your flight!

UPDATE: Well, just got word of an upgrade!
lcohen999 likes this.

Last edited by spriteguy; Nov 24, 2017 at 10:58 pm
Old Dec 9, 2017, 2:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I'm extremely FOTSG when it comes to international R space.

I think I've upgraded 2 international flights, and I've booked 3? with IKK.

I'm looking at MUC-YYZ in Jan/Feb, and here is what I've noticed when I searched a period of 5 weeks.

Every Sunday is R0.
There are 4 non-Sundays (in a 5 week period) that are R0 (meaning almost every other day has positive R space).

No idea if that's typical, but they don't seem to open R space on Sundays, even though they do on every other day.
R space opened on my MUC-YYZ on Feb 4, so I grabbed it. I'm glad I had that EF alert set.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by spriteguy
I've been watching the last few days for YVR to STD. Mon and Tue there was R space released 48 hours before. Then the one on Sat appeared today. No R space for Friday but it's only J7. I'm watching the upgrade list on the app. The last few days, 2 or 3 people were upgraded to business.

It's odd though as 2-3 hours before the flight the upgrade list becomes unavailable on the app.

Enjoy your flight!

UPDATE: Well, just got word of an upgrade!
Ha. I actually spent a minute figuring out which airport is "STD" (somewhere in Venezuela) but then realized you meant SYD.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
R space opened on my MUC-YYZ on Feb 4, so I grabbed it. I'm glad I had that EF alert set.
Is this where we give you a golf clap? (not to be confused with the clap - somewhat fitting for the above post)
Old Feb 3, 2018, 7:49 am

I'm the only SE in J on my SFO-YYZ.

There are two SEs in Y. There are empties in J.

I don't know if this is more related to branded fares or eUp rationing, but it was only a few years ago that I couldn't imagine an SE sitting in Y on this route (it was also one of the last holdouts for not selling Tango).

It's a shame I got held up at TSA. I would have tried to upgrade someone. All my other flights this weekend are pretty full in J.
eracerblue likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 9:22 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
I'm the only SE in J on my SFO-YYZ.

There are two SEs in Y. There are empties in J.

I don't know if this is more related to branded fares or eUp rationing, but it was only a few years ago that I couldn't imagine an SE sitting in Y on this route (it was also one of the last holdouts for not selling Tango).......
I don't know if it's because it's a Saturday or it's February and possibly low season (and maybe no trade shows), but since you're a regular on this route, you would know a lot more than me.

When I was flying YYZ-SFO more often, only narrow-bodies were available. The early morning departure from YYZ were so full of SEs and MMs that there was spill-over into Y. I recall many flights where the Preferred seats were full of SEs and MMs as we often ended up in conversation. One MM complained to me about his upgrade not clearing and this was well before published lists. I don't know if he was someone who knew about EF, upgrade priorities and things like fares, but I'll assume yes.

The daytime return flights were the same and the only time I saw an empty in J was on the red-eyes from SFO.

Maybe you're right about eUp rationing and NOGO Tango and branded fares, or maybe fewer people really need to fly that route today.

IMHO
Old Feb 3, 2018, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by 24left
I don't know if it's because it's a Saturday or it's February and possibly low season (and maybe no trade shows), but since you're a regular on this route, you would know a lot more than me.

When I was flying YYZ-SFO more often, only narrow-bodies were available. The early morning departure from YYZ were so full of SEs and MMs that there was spill-over into Y. I recall many flights where the Preferred seats were full of SEs and MMs as we often ended up in conversation. One MM complained to me about his upgrade not clearing and this was well before published lists. I don't know if he was someone who knew about EF, upgrade priorities and things like fares, but I'll assume yes.

The daytime return flights were the same and the only time I saw an empty in J was on the red-eyes from SFO.

Maybe you're right about eUp rationing and NOGO Tango and branded fares, or maybe fewer people really need to fly that route today.

IMHO
The bolded part is my point. A couple years ago, every SE (and probably many lower statuses) would have requested an upgrade on this route. Now they're sitting in Y with plenty of space in J.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 9:34 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
The bolded part is my point. A couple years ago, every SE (and probably many lower statuses) would have requested an upgrade on this route. Now they're sitting in Y with plenty of space in J.
When one is flush with credits, you'd upgrade everything. Fewer credits, more expensive (with cash) upgrades, because of stupid barrel-scraping fares, yeah.

Every upgrade application will be a tradeoff and a choice.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 9:37 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
And as a result, AC is not earning money from those empty seats - either in the form of cash or other currencies.

Originally Posted by RangerNS
....Every upgrade application will be a tradeoff and a choice.
(bolding mine)

Exactly.

Some of us are outliers and fly in Y on all North American routes and of course transcons and it's perfectly fine. Not all of us have flight passes, not all of us are OPM, not everyone has credits, not everyone sees the value in LMU or Bid Upgrades (especially when no AQM is earned).

It's all about value-propositions....and one's available budget.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by 24left
And as a result, AC is not earning money from those empty seats - either in the form of cash or other currencies.

(bolding mine)

Exactly.

Some of us are outliers and fly in Y on all North American routes and of course transcons and it's perfectly fine. Not all of us have flight passes, not all of us are OPM, not everyone has credits, not everyone sees the value in LMU or Bid Upgrades (especially when no AQM is earned).

It's all about value-propositions....and one's available budget.
Well said. I don't upgrade to J anymore within North America. I would much prefer to use them crossing the Pacific. In the 'good ol days' where you received 20 credits each 20k, that was a different story. With that gone, they must be better planned and rationed
Old Mar 2, 2018, 7:21 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium Elite, Accor Platinum, National Executive Elite
Is it basically impossible to eup on FRA-YYZ flights? Does R space ever open up/do loads end up filling up 2 weeks out?
Flying in 18 days and showing J4 C1 the rest at zero on EF, though EF also showing 17 unfilled seats. It's never really an issue to/from MUC. Appreciate any insight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.