Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The R Games

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2019, 6:04 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Star Alliance - Gold, Bonvoy-Titanium, Hilton-Gold, Avis-President's Club
Gotcha! I was gonna ask what if R becomes positive closer to departure from 0 when requesting it originally, but you read my mind and explained it thoroughly.

Can you please explain the term ‘re-apply’ for R? How do we do it? Just simply cancel thorugh eupgrade site and re-request it again? If R>0, by doing that, it will dibs the available R?

Originally Posted by yyznomad
You're asking two different things.

Yes, when R is positive, then whoever has dibs on R gets those dibs on R. If R goes positive (from R0) before date of departure, it does not necessarily mean that those on the waitlist will automatically get that R based on cow's priority - they have to re-apply for that R. So cow's answers are correct based on what you specifically asked.

If it is waitlisted (R=0) then it goes by what @canadiancow thoroughly answered with.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Flyingbunny88

Can you please explain the term ‘re-apply’ for R? How do we do it? Just simply cancel thorugh eupgrade site and re-request it again? If R>0, by doing that, it will dibs the available R?
Yes, pretty much cancel the waitlisted upgrade on the eUpgrade page, and then reapply for it like you did originally. Of course, someone else might snag the newly showing positive R spaces and then you go back on the waitlist, possibly even lower on the list than you were just previously. But this scenario is rare, IMHO.

If you are SE, then sometimes your waitlisted upgrade is processed behind the scenes, but this is not necessarily a "common" occurrence.
pilot007 and canadiancow like this.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 10:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I think I won the R games.

The last time I ended up with an AC flight ticketed in R, it turned out to be a UA mistake fare.

ecc likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 2:26 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
I have an A fare then connecting to a Y/B fare. The latitude fare is already upgraded.

I want to standby/sdc for this tomorrow to catch earlier flights for both.

The second segment I am hoping to catch is J4. Do I get access to that, or would it have to be R>0?
Old Nov 7, 2019, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
I have an A fare then connecting to a Y/B fare. The latitude fare is already upgraded.

I want to standby/sdc for this tomorrow to catch earlier flights for both.

The second segment I am hoping to catch is J4. Do I get access to that, or would it have to be R>0?
For standby, you'll be listed for the cabin you're confirmed in on the confirmed flight, and any cabins you're waitlisted for on a confirmed flight. So a waitlisted or confirmed upgrade request on a later flight will both put you on the list for J on the earlier flight.
WaytoomuchEurope likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
For standby, you'll be listed for the cabin you're confirmed in on the confirmed flight, and any cabins you're waitlisted for on a confirmed flight. So a waitlisted or confirmed upgrade request on a later flight will both put you on the list for J on the earlier flight.
So no need to ask for concierge assistance? Just go early to airport and hope for the best? Note there is no concierge in my departure city for first flight.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
So no need to ask for concierge assistance? Just go early to airport and hope for the best? Note there is no concierge in my departure city for first flight.
I mean you need to be put on the standby list, so I'd advise an email to the concierge right after you check in (as that gives you time to correct any problems). But it will list your for the correct cabins. I've done this many many times.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 9:15 am

Programs: AC SE100k 1MM, HHD
Unable to upgrade latitude with P>0 R=O on International flight

Originally Posted by visitor

just did this recently on two legs of a Europe Latitude Flight Pass. P class was available per Expertflyer but waitlisted on eupgrade site. Called in, took five minutes.
Booked Latitude B YYZ.LHR return in December. Selected flights with P > 0 but with R=O. AC site at time of purchase and e-up site after purchase show I would be/was waitlisted. Called in SE deck. First 2 tries I hung up when the agent did not understand P-space upgrades. Third agent had prior experience, but she could not process my request. Put me on hold and called yield management desk. Was told it was not routine and would require 24-hours and might not happen. 24-hours later, still wait-listed. Curious/worried that P-space no longer applies to latitude fare Int. upgrades. Any other lines of approach at AC to fix this?
Old Nov 15, 2019, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by c3m5frssvt
Booked Latitude B YYZ.LHR return in December. Selected flights with P > 0 but with R=O. AC site at time of purchase and e-up site after purchase show I would be/was waitlisted. Called in SE deck. First 2 tries I hung up when the agent did not understand P-space upgrades. Third agent had prior experience, but she could not process my request. Put me on hold and called yield management desk. Was told it was not routine and would require 24-hours and might not happen. 24-hours later, still wait-listed. Curious/worried that P-space no longer applies to latitude fare Int. upgrades. Any other lines of approach at AC to fix this?
It worked for me just a few weeks ago so I don't think it has changed.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 9:52 am

Need some help from the FT gurus here on changes R space will open up for AC33 YVR - SYD. We were lucky and were able to get Aeroplan tickets in J for Feb 16th, but of course getting a spot on Feb 14th or 15th would be nicer!

For today (Jan 26) on AC 33, it current looks like this: J9 C9 D9 Z9 P5 R0
When I check on the AC App it says 27/40 seats are booked with only 6 people waiting for upgrades.
How come AC doesn't open up more R space?

The reason I ask is similarly (at least right now) for the below dates it looks like this:
Feb 14: J9 C9 D5 Z0 P0 R0
Feb 15: J9 C9 D8 Z3 P1 R0

I've been watching these two flights to see if R space will open up, but nothing at all! Do you think R space will open up so I can book with Aeroplan, or it's really not possible and I should stop wasting my time.

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 26, 2020, 10:30 am

Programs: *$ Green
23.4% chance

The probability of last minute 10K bookings on that flight is probably (see what I did there) around 78.5%
Nitehawk likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 1:58 pm

Programs: AC SE MM; SPG Plat
Okay, odds makers, how likely is it that R space will open up on AC 856 YYZ-LHR for this upcoming Saturday (22nd)? I'm not looking to upgrade but to use points. I already have a business class seat on a flight through Ottawa but would rather go direct, so would cancel the existing booking and re-book if R opens up.

If it doesn't open up and space is available, any chance they would move me when I arrive at the airport? Any other strategies recommended? I've set an alert for R space on EF.

Flight is quite open in J but not so much in PE or Y ... J9 C9 D9 Z9 P5 R0 O1 E0 N0 Y2 B2 M2 U2 H1 Q0 V0 W0 S0 T0 L0 K0
Old Feb 17, 2020, 5:06 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
Aeroplan books into 'I' availability.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 5:10 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by YVRtoYYZ
SE priority bookings go into R.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 5:12 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by YVRtoYYZ
Unless it's SE IKK. But PB53x11 , you also need positive space to be able to do that (assuming that's what you're thinking of). If the flight is oversold, even if R>0, you won't be able to book it. Maybe canadiancow would have access to the true load, but that looks like it might be oversold.
PB53x11 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.