Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The R Games

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2020, 8:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
R is correlated to J IKK, but it's not a guarantee. Keep checking, but if space does not open up, your best option is a $75 SDC.
Adam Smith and PB53x11 like this.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 8:51 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Unless it's SE IKK. But PB53x11 , you also need positive space to be able to do that (assuming that's what you're thinking of). If the flight is oversold, even if R>0, you won't be able to book it. Maybe canadiancow would have access to the true load, but that looks like it might be oversold.
So then I ask this rookie question:

Is IKK essentially available R-space?

If that is the case, it would explain why I can get down to SYD in business (R available on both segments) but coming home I can't get business (no R on A34, but R on AC116)

Old Feb 19, 2020, 8:28 pm

Unless it's SE IKK. But PB53x11 , you also need positive space to be able to do that (assuming that's what you're thinking of). If the flight is oversold, even if R>0, you won't be able to book it. Maybe canadiancow would have access to the true load, but that looks like it might be oversold.
I missed the second half of this. It's J10 but over in Y.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 6:43 am

Programs: AC SE MM; SPG Plat
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I missed the second half of this. It's J10 but over in Y.
Thanks. All four flights on Saturday night look to be oversold. I suspect I'm going through Ottawa! That said, I've been rethinking what flight(s) are most attractive from a maximize sleep perspective, and leaving Ottawa at 8:30 pm seems like a pretty good option anyway.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 7:45 am
RZR

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by TOR27
If you were able to purchase an upgrade after being on the plane, and willing to do so, then shouldn't you just pay at check-in or in advance? I don't understand waiting to see if there is room and then suddenly deciding you are willing to pay for the upgrade. Unless of course you are extremely susceptible to FOMO
Perhsps the people flying have no idea what the aircraft configuration is and what kind of extra space you would actually get. Once on board they might say "wow. only x amount of dollars for that much extra space" , and go for it.
Old May 3, 2020, 6:18 am

Why is it important to learn the R game?

I could be wrong, but as a newly minted P25K, I learned that one needs P (or Z for domestic) space to be able to confirm an upgrade using eUpgrade credits.

Also from what I gather, positive R space leads to eUpgrade requests clearing immediately instead of waitlisting. Does this condition apply only to upgrades from Latitude fares ?

Originally Posted by eracerblue
I’m curious, do people literally HUCA, or do they try to end the call somewhat gracefully?
When I HUCA, I sometimes press the hang-up button in the middle of saying something, to make it seem like the call abruptly dropped

Last edited by hoipolloi; May 3, 2020 at 6:43 am
Old May 3, 2020, 10:15 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by hoipolloi
I could be wrong, but as a newly minted P25K, I learned that one needs P (or Z for domestic) space to be able to confirm an upgrade using eUpgrade credits.

Also from what I gather, positive R space leads to eUpgrade requests clearing immediately instead of waitlisting. Does this condition apply only to upgrades from Latitude fares ?
No, your understanding is incorrect.

All upgradeable fares can upgrade using R space.

Only Latitude and PE Flexible can upgrade using P/Z.

If within the window for your upgrade, R>0 should be sufficient to clear the upgrade, although the system doesn't always work properly. But someone with 25K status can't upgrade a Flex fare 15 days out, no matter how much R space there is, because their window isn't open yet.

Latitude/PE Flexible have no window and can be upgraded any time.

As 25K, don't expect to get many upgrades, especially if flying on cheaper fares.
hoipolloi likes this.
Old May 3, 2020, 1:08 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
As 25K, don't expect to get many upgrades, especially if flying on cheaper fares.
With current loads are eUps pretty likely to go thru even if not until the gate?
Old May 3, 2020, 1:22 pm

Paradoxically, as a P25K, it is less worthwhile for me to fork out extra money for a Comfort or Flex fare versus a Standard fare because I already get most benefits provided by the higher fares - such as checked bags, free advance seat selection and priority at the airport - as part of my status.

So the only stand out benefits to buying a higher fare for someone with status are lower change fees (more flexibility), and better CHANCES for an upgrade.

Do many people buy more expensive fares just to improve their chances for clearing an eUpgrade ? I guess if one is an SE100K they are very likely to get upgraded due to their higher status being a factor in the upgrade algorithm. So the higher one's status, the stronger is the temptation to buy more expensive fares to be able to use the eUpgrades

Last edited by hoipolloi; May 3, 2020 at 1:31 pm
Old May 3, 2020, 1:35 pm

Paradoxically, as a P25K, it is less worthwhile for me to fork out extra money for a Comfort or Flex fare versus a Standard fare because I already get most benefits provided by the higher fares - such as checked bags, free advance seat selection and priority at the airport - as part of my status.

So the only stand out benefits to buying a higher fare for someone with status are lower change fees (more flexibility), and better CHANCES for an upgrade.

Do many people buy more expensive fares just to improve their chances for clearing an eUpgrade ?
Huh? P25K confers no "free advance seat election" on Standard fares, nor does it even give a discount on preferred seats. Only SE offers any seating benefits on Standard fares.

Also, Flex means no-copay on upgrades, which often exceeds the fare difference in the North American market since the introduction of branded fares. Heck, when I booked my HKG trip last year, the fare difference from Basic to PY Lowest was less than the co-pay from Standard.

Also, looking back at 2013 when I was E35K, I missed a YYZ-YUL and YYZ-SFO before I became E50K.

I cleared:
SFO-YVR
YVR-YYZ
YUL-YVR
YVR-SFO
LAX-YVR
YVR-YYZ
YYZ-EWR
LGA-YOW
YOW-YHZ
YHZ-YYT
YYT-YUL
YYZ-YVR
YVR-SFO
SFO-YVR
YVR-YYZ
YYZ-YUL
YUL-YYZ
SFO-YVR
YVR-SFO
SFO-YVR
YVR-YUL
YOW-YYZ
YYZ-SFO

So the idea that low status can't get upgrades is wrong. Some of those were M fares booked within my window, but a bunch were gate upgrades or other tickets booked months out with no real insight into loads.
Nitehawk and Adam Smith like this.
Old May 3, 2020, 1:39 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Or the higher ones status, the less willing they are to subject themselves to the Y cabin. If I can't get confirmed J before the airport, I generally just won't go at all. I usually only use eupgrades when R (or P or Z, depending on the route and the fare I'm purchasing) is available and I can instantly confirm. Higher status helps grab R further in advance. Higher fares help grab confirmed upgrades regardless of status.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old May 3, 2020, 1:39 pm

Do many people buy more expensive fares just to improve their chances for clearing an eUpgrade ? I guess if one is an SE100K they are very likely to get upgraded due to their higher status being a factor in the upgrade algorithm. So the higher one's status, the stronger is the temptation to buy more expensive fares to be able to use the eUpgrades
It is now often possible to upgrade from Standard fares. The copay is often in line with the difference between Standard and Flex. Upgrading from Standard allows you to not pay more for the “chance” of an upgrade, and only pay more if the upgrade clears. Down side is less AQM for Standard.

I typically won’t pay more just for an increased chance at Aerolotto. I may pay more for PE, which will increase my chances, but then worst case I’m in PE.

I typically buy Flex, but for other reasons. Upgrade Chances rarely enter the equation.
hoipolloi likes this.
Old May 3, 2020, 3:03 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
There are so many things that go into a fare purchase/possibility of upgrade decision. I typically by flight passes due to higher booking class for Flex fares and less eupgrade credits needed per trip.

As a SE I only buy Flex for domestic travel since I always get upgraded as SE on domestic flights that I take with Flex fares (pass product) or I am flying on single cabin aircraft where no upgrade can be had. I used to buy Latitude for domestic but I have so many eupgrade credits left over at year end, that there has been no Latitude value proposition as my flights are usually booked within 14 days of flight with guaranteed upgrade and very few changes ever needed so I always got upgraded even on Flex.

I typically buy Latitude (pass product) for transborder sun destinations since the price differential is not consequential and allows me to book short notice (most of my trips) and cancel with no penalty. Eupgrades seem tighter on these routes when flying on cheaper fares.

For intercontinental flights, I always book PE now as it moves me up the upgrade ladder when competing with so many others. No failure there yet either so my approach is working for all flights in recent years. In almost 30 years of flying regularly with AC, I have only ever missed 2 upgrades on intercontinental flights but that was intentional on my part. I could have upgraded if I had waited a day or taken a different (longer) routing but timing was more important than the upgrade.

If I was Prestige, I might think twice about paying higher fares for two reasons--really not flying that much and no prospect for higher status. Use the money saved to buy first class (often not a big increase from econo when booking 30 days out) on transborder flights on other airlines. (which is what I often do for non-sun destinations)

Everyone has there reasons for what they see as a value proposition. The only one that matters is the one that works best for you and the level of comfort you desire.
Old May 3, 2020, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Huh? P25K confers no "free advance seat election" on Standard fares, nor does it even give a discount on preferred seats. Only SE offers any seating benefits on Standard fares.
You're right. I was doing a dummy booking for AC662 YUL-YHZ on June 11th Standard fare and noticed AC is not charging for advance seat selection and thought it was due to my status. After your post, I tried as an anonymous guest and they sill don't charge for advance seat selection, contrary to my expectation and past experiences.
Old May 3, 2020, 6:15 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold

In the pre O cabin days, I would buy a higher flex fare for less eupgrade credits. Not quite the same thing but yes, I would invest the money as needed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.