FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The R Games
Thread: The R Games
View Single Post
Old May 3, 2020, 1:39 pm
YEG USER

Originally Posted by hoipolloi
Paradoxically, as a P25K, it is less worthwhile for me to fork out extra money for a Comfort or Flex fare versus a Standard fare because I already get most benefits provided by the higher fares - such as checked bags, free advance seat selection and priority at the airport - as part of my status.

So the only stand out benefits to buying a higher fare for someone with status are lower change fees (more flexibility), and better CHANCES for an upgrade.

Do many people buy more expensive fares just to improve their chances for clearing an eUpgrade ? I guess if one is an SE100K they are very likely to get upgraded due to their higher status being a factor in the upgrade algorithm. So the higher one's status, the stronger is the temptation to buy more expensive fares to be able to use the eUpgrades
It is now often possible to upgrade from Standard fares. The copay is often in line with the difference between Standard and Flex. Upgrading from Standard allows you to not pay more for the “chance” of an upgrade, and only pay more if the upgrade clears. Down side is less AQM for Standard.

I typically won’t pay more just for an increased chance at Aerolotto. I may pay more for PE, which will increase my chances, but then worst case I’m in PE.

I typically buy Flex, but for other reasons. Upgrade Chances rarely enter the equation.