Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The R Games

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2020, 12:09 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by yyztozag
I sound like a FOTSG, but I've almost never used eUps and have (surprisingly) cleared every single time I've requested an upgrade.
I'll try to help

1. If I book a Latitude fare and request an eUpgrade, and R=0 but, for instance, P=2, would I clear the upgrade anyway?
Depends on where you're flying. Domestic/TB/Sun, you need Z space, which is generally more available than P. Internationally, you need P. Edit: see discussion below.

2. Is R capped at 9 tix per flight; in other words, do the first 9 people to clear get confirmed and everyone else gets put on the standby list?
No. R space is determined by revenue management. A flight may be R0 when it's first loaded and for months afterward. R space may never open. Some routes are generally easier to upgrade, others are harder.

3. Do AC release more R space 1/2/24/48 hours before departure?
See above. It's all dependent on load and what they think they can sell.

They may also clear your waitlisted upgrade without ever releasing R space.

Or it may go down to the gate even if there are a bunch of open seats.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Dec 19, 2020 at 12:20 am Reason: Corrected out of date info
Old Dec 19, 2020, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Depends on where you're flying. Domestic/TB/Sun, you need Z space, which is generally more available than P. Internationally, you need P.
This is definitely how it used to work, but wasn't there discussion recently that AC had changed the system and (potentially greatly) decreased the ability to confirm Lat / PE flex bookings in advance?
Old Dec 19, 2020, 12:19 am

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
This is definitely how it used to work, but wasn't there discussion recently that AC had changed the system and (potentially greatly) decreased the ability to confirm Lat / PE flex bookings in advance?
Your post came just seconds before mine, but after seeing it, I've been digging for information on that. It seems I missed some discussion a couple weeks ago in the thread on the new Aeroplan about that. Starting around here. The revised eUp site is silent all of this; it doesn't even mention R space at all.

That's quite disturbing. I purchased a Sun flight pass shortly before they made these changes, on the understanding that I would be able to eUp in to Z space, as has been the case for ages.
Jasper2009 likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 9:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Timing being based on the DCS switch to Amadeus?
Yes. Before that, you were still eligible for PY, but the order It cleared was less sensible.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 9:14 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by canadiancow
You can only request one cabin.

At the gate, a J upgrade behaves the way you want, but not before then.

One (maybe the only one?) piece of feedback I submitted when they were collecting thoughts about the new program was to do it more UA-style where you can check one or two boxes. If you clear PY instantly, you can still clear J later.

I pay for Y, and I really want J, but I'd rather have PY than Y.
I think I understand (and agree with) your suggestion.

What's not clear, is whether or not AC agreed to add that capability. I understand from your later points that the process for clearing requests at the gate will be changing in the (near) future .... but I think your request implies that if PY is available (say) 3 days before the flight, you should be confirmed into PY then, and still have the option to be cleared into J at the gate (correct?). Do you know if that capability is what's coming in the future? Or did your request fall on deaf ears?
Old Dec 19, 2020, 9:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by canopus27
I think I understand (and agree with) your suggestion.

What's not clear, is whether or not AC agreed to add that capability. I understand from your later points that the process for clearing requests at the gate will be changing in the (near) future .... but I think your request implies that if PY is available (say) 3 days before the flight, you should be confirmed into PY then, and still have the option to be cleared into J at the gate (correct?). Do you know if that capability is what's coming in the future? Or did your request fall on deaf ears?
So to clarify again, at the gate, previously:
1. J requests clear into J
2. PY requests clear into PY (this allowed a 25K who requests PY to beat an SE who requests J, even at the gate)
3. J requests clear into PY

Now, at the gate, your request is a J request and a PY requests, so step 3 doesn't make sense.

My request says that if at T-14 for YVR-YYZ, there's PY upgrade space but not R space, but at T-13 there is R space, I want to clear PY at T-14 and J at T-13. Right now, you can only pick one.

I'm not sure what you think is coming in the future, but I'm not aware of anything.

I just filled out the form on the website for feedback and suggested on the new Aeroplan. I did not hear back, but I did not expect to hear back, so I wouldn't call it "deaf ears". Plenty of real issues to complain about without me imagining another one.
canopus27 and Adam Smith like this.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by canadiancow
So to clarify again, at the gate, previously:
1. J requests clear into J
2. PY requests clear into PY (this allowed a 25K who requests PY to beat an SE who requests J, even at the gate)
3. J requests clear into PY

Now, at the gate, your request is a J request and a PY requests, so step 3 doesn't make sense.

My request says that if at T-14 for YVR-YYZ, there's PY upgrade space but not R space, but at T-13 there is R space, I want to clear PY at T-14 and J at T-13. Right now, you can only pick one.

I'm not sure what you think is coming in the future, but I'm not aware of anything.

I just filled out the form on the website for feedback and suggested on the new Aeroplan. I did not hear back, but I did not expect to hear back, so I wouldn't call it "deaf ears". Plenty of real issues to complain about without me imagining another one.
We need to find a way to hook up cow's brain to the FT Matrix and instead he feeds the Matrix.
Or cow is the Oracle.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 3:08 pm

Programs: AC SE
Your post came just seconds before mine, but after seeing it, I've been digging for information on that. It seems I missed some discussion a couple weeks ago in the thread on the new Aeroplan about that. Starting around here. The revised eUp site is silent all of this; it doesn't even mention R space at all.

That's quite disturbing. I purchased a Sun flight pass shortly before they made these changes, on the understanding that I would be able to eUp in to Z space, as has been the case for ages.
I spoke to customer service about that. As far as I know, what I was told is accurate. At least, no one has yet disproven in (unfortunately). In October a bulletin went out to customer service saying there would be no more upgrades based on P or Z. Only R space matters now.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
I spoke to customer service about that. As far as I know, what I was told is accurate. At least, no one has yet disproven in (unfortunately). In October a bulletin went out to customer service saying there would be no more upgrades based on P or Z. Only R space matters now.
I miss having an AC lurker here. Stuff like this wouldn't be a question or half-mystery anymore. We don't even have an ACPedia reference for this specific "updated" rule to point a cc agent to (not that we'd need it, but in general, having such info was of immense help).
Old Dec 20, 2020, 9:22 pm

I've asked the YYC Concierges (who are quite good, and with whom I have good relationships) to see whether they can get any more specific info on this, including asking what ACPedia says. The initial response was they weren't aware of anything different, but would look in to it.
Plumber and Jasper2009 like this.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've asked the YYC Concierges (who are quite good, and with whom I have good relationships) to see whether they can get any more specific info on this, including asking what ACPedia says. The initial response was they weren't aware of anything different, but would look in to it.
Cool. This is like pulling teeth.
When P and Z finally gets more acceptance and into the brains of cc agents, they allegedly yank it again.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 12:21 am

Programs: CX GO, AC Aeroplan 25K, AMEX PLAT, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Amb
I can confirm that Acpedia does say eupgrades can no longer draw from Z and P availability. The update was posted in November.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 4:27 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by etkuo
I can confirm that Acpedia does say eupgrades can no longer draw from Z and P availability. The update was posted in November.
It certainly makes Latitude fares less valuable.
There was good value in LAT fares, despite the high cost, if one knew what they were doing.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks, and

Originally Posted by Plumber
It certainly makes Latitude fares less valuable.
There was good value in LAT fares, despite the high cost, if one knew what they were doing.
Agreed. It was helpful bone thrown for several years.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 8:07 am

Very disappointed to see this news. That was a huge value-add to Latitude fares, especially FPs, and it was done with zero warning and no explicit public disclosure either.

Do you happen to know which day in November they changed it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.