Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The R Games

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2017, 5:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
So I just went through booking a few NA flights for tomorrow and Saturday, and not only was there tons of IKK (which highly correlates to R space), but there was tons of I space as well.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 12:11 pm

Programs: Air Canada 50K, Marriott Gold,
Question for the vets on here....have a flight coming up on 7/30, AC1114 on an E90.

Plane is pretty full at the moment: J0 C0 D0 Z0 P0 R0 Y2 B2 M1 U0 H0 Q0 V0 W0 G0 S0 T0 L0 A0 K0

The seat map shows 1 seat in J available, not sure if they are holding one back or if the last J passenger simply didn't select their seat yet. However I currently am considering waitlisting for J using eups. The only reason why I might not is if there is a chance that Y is oversold I could possibly get an Op Up and not waste credits. Although, if J is in fact full then it's all a moot point anyways.

Thoughts? Worth waitlisting for J or just roll the dice on a pretty low chance Op Up?
Old Jul 24, 2017, 2:07 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by TOR27
Question for the vets on here....have a flight coming up on 7/30, AC1114 on an E90.

Plane is pretty full at the moment: J0 C0 D0 Z0 P0 R0 Y2 B2 M1 U0 H0 Q0 V0 W0 G0 S0 T0 L0 A0 K0

The seat map shows 1 seat in J available, not sure if they are holding one back or if the last J passenger simply didn't select their seat yet. However I currently am considering waitlisting for J using eups. The only reason why I might not is if there is a chance that Y is oversold I could possibly get an Op Up and not waste credits. Although, if J is in fact full then it's all a moot point anyways.

Thoughts? Worth waitlisting for J or just roll the dice on a pretty low chance Op Up?
Risk it, then see if you get opupped T-45. If no go, go to the counter and ask for eUp.

Watch the waitlist and post all your findings here please.

Good luck.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 2:27 pm

Programs: AC: E75K, Marriott :Titanium, National: EXEC ELITE
Originally Posted by TOR27

I think your chances of an op-up are slim and none, and slim just left town. As a 35K, you're pretty much at the bottom of the ladder, and given there is only 1 seat, I'd say your chances are zero. If the flight was showing J0, and there were 4 or 5 empty seats, then maybe, but in this case, if you want the seat, better waitlist for it.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 11:11 am

Programs: Air Canada 50K, Marriott Gold,
Originally Posted by VoodooYYC
I think your chances of an op-up are slim and none, and slim just left town. As a 35K, you're pretty much at the bottom of the ladder, and given there is only 1 seat, I'd say your chances are zero. If the flight was showing J0, and there were 4 or 5 empty seats, then maybe, but in this case, if you want the seat, better waitlist for it.
Stayed on the waitlist....Flight is now J1 R0 and awaiting to find out how lucky I am playing the R games!
Old Sep 11, 2017, 3:04 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
I just booked a Tango red-eye of 5-ish hour duration.
My thinking was to check 12 days out when my window opens to see the R space and, if looking good, I would up-fare to Flex if the difference to lowest available flex was less than the co-pay. It currently is, but of course low flex may evaporate leaving only M.)
Is that a reasonable R-games strategy? Flex seems like throwing away $200+ at this point.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by flyquiet
I just booked a Tango red-eye of 5-ish hour duration.
My thinking was to check 12 days out when my window opens to see the R space and, if looking good, I would up-fare to Flex if the difference to lowest available flex was less than the co-pay. It currently is, but of course low flex may evaporate leaving only M.)
Is that a reasonable R-games strategy? Flex seems like throwing away $200+ at this point.
How much is the co-pay?
Old Sep 11, 2017, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by canadiancow
How much is the co-pay?
Depending on the tango fare, I thought copay is either one of $300 or $400.
I'm also assuming this is a transcon redeye.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 6:31 pm

Yeah it's $400 copay and the current Tango-Flex difference is <$200. But it's more than 12 days out so a total gamble now.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 7:29 pm

Yeah it's $400 copay and the current Tango-Flex difference is <$200. But it's more than 12 days out so a total gamble now.
Personally, I'd pay for Flex. How have your upgrades been this year? I've been seeing more and more empty seats, crew, etc. Or in other words, hard to miss an upgrade.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 9:30 pm

I've only been doing 2-credit FP e-ups, though I did get both ways TCON recently. Mr FQ had to wait to the gate to get his confirmed as a E35K, though I did get mine on the opening of my window.
I have enough credits to do one way on this but my concern was, a red-eye TCON on a Saturday night might be popular?
Old Sep 11, 2017, 9:59 pm

I've only been doing 2-credit FP e-ups, though I did get both ways TCON recently. Mr FQ had to wait to the gate to get his confirmed as a E35K, though I did get mine on the opening of my window.
I have enough credits to do one way on this but my concern was, a red-eye TCON on a Saturday night might be popular?
I would actually expect a red-eye tcon on a Saturday to be unpopular

This Saturday, 126 is R1, 128 is R2, and 308 is R5 right now.

Flex prices will only go up, which is why I think the <$200 is worth it if you know you want to upgrade.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I would actually expect a red-eye tcon on a Saturday to be unpopular
I agree with this in general based on experience doing these on Friday and Saturday nights.

You'd typically get a packed flight if one of the redeyes that same night goes IROP/cancelled and they don't add a section for the canceled flight.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 7:41 am

Thanks for the voice of experience. That is very useful info!
Update: while I was preparing to communicate with AC to up-fare, received a 15% discount code email from Amex valid for Flex, so I was able to cancel and book new reservation for a net increase of $75. That is worth it, like buying 1000 miles for $75 plus a chance of upgrade for 10 eUps that would otherwise expire.

Last edited by flyquiet; Sep 12, 2017 at 8:38 am Reason: update
Old Sep 12, 2017, 11:57 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Thanks for the voice of experience. That is very useful info!
Update: while I was preparing to communicate with AC to up-fare, received a 15% discount code email from Amex valid for Flex, so I was able to cancel and book new reservation for a net increase of $75. That is worth it, like buying 1000 miles for $75 plus a chance of upgrade for 10 eUps that would otherwise expire.
Nice. Now set that t-12 day reminder in your calendar

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.