Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The R Games

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2012, 8:17 am

Programs: 2MM, Lifetime E75K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ACA321
Oh, and the best part? When getting my new boarding pass at the gate, there was a generous "ML*1" note in the bottom under observations. Can't help but feel that AC holds a grudge against its "valued top tier customers", even if they, like me, paid extra for this upgradeable fare. Big thumbs down to this practice AC. If you no longer wish to provide the benefit of upgrades, just flat out quit doing it. Stop jerking people's chains with these games.
I've said this before and I'll say again, this is totally unacceptable. Just because you've been upgraded at the gate doesn't mean you should be out a meal. Air Canada does indeed know the anticipated amount of meals they need to load - look at the waitlist (T4-T7). All this to save $15-$20 for their most valued customers. Pathetic!!
Old May 14, 2012, 8:18 am

Programs: UA Platinum, DL Platinum, AFKL Gold, Qatar Gold
Originally Posted by Away from YYZ
So in plain text, that means they plan for some Op-Ups?
Well if you heavily oversell the Y cabin, you have to accommodate those lucky Y passengers...
Old May 14, 2012, 11:00 am

Programs: A3*G AC*nobody TK*nobody
Originally Posted by thyeri
Well if you heavily oversell the Y cabin, you have to accommodate those lucky Y passengers...
sigh. I think they oversold my upcoming flight, but I still wouldn't take my chances with my lowly K fare. (only pay C$700 RT a/i CDG-YYZ back then. I am so glad I did that, since then I have not seen fare that low...)

It does cost me $90 change fee for my reward ticket and losing on C from YYZ-YUL. But also saved a bit on hotel bookings to go CDG in Mar instead of Apr.
Old May 14, 2012, 11:55 am

Programs: AC*SE, AC*MM, SPG Gold, FPC Plat, HHonors Diamond, PC Plat Elite, R&C Club 5C, Hyatt GP
Originally Posted by dave0823
Just because you've been upgraded at the gate doesn't mean you should be out a meal.
I agree, but that hasn't been my experience though. I rarely eat on board anyway, but I've always been offered the regular meal choice in that situation, even with ML*1 on the BP.
Old May 14, 2012, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by antirealist
I agree, but that hasn't been my experience though. I rarely eat on board anyway, but I've always been offered the regular meal choice in that situation, even with ML*1 on the BP.
I agree with you that you will most likely receive a regular meal, but I don't agree with how they go about their selection. On my last flight where I was upgraded at the gate, I was the last person to be asked for my meal selection and therefore I did not get my meal choice (actually had no choice - only pasta dish available).

Even though I'm SE and they should take your meal order by status, having ML*1 means you will be the last one asked. Being able to upgrade is a benefit that shouldn't be minimized based upon when your are upgraded - T7/T4 or at the gate.
Old May 14, 2012, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
I agree with you that you will most likely receive a regular meal, but I don't agree with how they go about their selection. On my last flight where I was upgraded at the gate, I was the last person to be asked for my meal selection and therefore I did not get my meal choice (actually had no choice - only pasta dish available).

Even though I'm SE and they should take your meal order by status, having ML*1 means you will be the last one asked. Being able to upgrade is a benefit that shouldn't be minimized based upon when your are upgraded - T7/T4 or at the gate.
+1. Feels very strange as an SE being relegated to the end - unlike most people in J, we tend to know what is going on.
Old May 14, 2012, 3:22 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by The Lev
+1. Feels very strange as an SE being relegated to the end - unlike most people in J, we tend to know what is going on.
I have experienced a full range of meal choice systems lately - being asked first as an SE with or without ML*1, being left to last as an ML*1 and having it done by row only (when I did get my choice but would have asked to talk to the I/C if I did not since it was an FA doing the orders - that seems to be common on TATLs).

Speaking of R games, there is no game for my upcoming TPAC - it's R0, J0 but the game is in full swing for the return - R0, J thru Z 9 - so will I be trumped by LMUs?
Old May 14, 2012, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA MP
I have been through 4 ML*1 this year on TPAC routes and the SDs have always taken meal orders from me first. It's possible that they always fully cater this route.
Old May 14, 2012, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by g46r
I have been through 4 ML*1 this year on TPAC routes and the SDs have always taken meal orders from me first. It's possible that they always fully cater this route.
On this particular flight (FLL-YZZ), I did speak to the SD later regarding this and he stated that this flight was fully catered and was told that all ML*1 designated pax are to be served last and he could get in trouble if he strayed from this policy.

Can anyone confirm this and what exactly is the policy for ML*1 designated pax? Sorry, looks like I got off-topic here.
Old May 14, 2012, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA MP
On this particular flight (FLL-YZZ), I did speak to the SD later regarding this and he stated that this flight was fully catered and was told that all ML*1 designated pax are to be served last and he could get in trouble if he strayed from this policy.

Sounds like an exceedingly stupid policy. When the flight is already fully catered, it serves no useful purpose other than pissing off their SEs!
Old May 14, 2012, 5:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by g46r
Sounds like an exceedingly stupid policy. When the flight is already fully catered, it serves no useful purpose other than pissing off their SEs!
That's about par for the course nowadays. In all the upgrading I've done in years past, which has been solely long-haul international, I've never received ML*1 even when being upgraded at the gate. This seems to be a new practice that makes it all the more obvious to elite passengers that they're thrown crumbs from the table, and worth nothing more.

Maybe the bizarre corporate philosophy is something like "piss them off into paying more". Can't see how that'll work out well in the end....
Old May 15, 2012, 2:55 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold Mariott Gold Aeroplan E25K SAS Gold NEXUS
My YYZ - LHR cleared at the gate Monday night, with ML1 on the boarding pass, but I got the meal I asked for; the SD *seemed* to be taking orders by row number.

Anyway that was all very nice I really appreciated the couple hours sleep I wouldn't have gotten in Y.
Old May 15, 2012, 3:35 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*G), Westjet Gold
Finally won at aerolotto today! YEG-YYZ-YUL, waitlisted for YEG-YYZ, didn't want to go on the YYZ-YUL leg and risk losing 6 credits on the rapidair leg alone....

Waiting at the gate, and my favorite thing happened: the announcement "paging passenger Nave888, please present yourself to the agent at gate 56" was made! So happy! It seems whenever I'm waitlisted, I never end up in J It was nice to finally actually clear at the gate! I do have good success at t-96hours, but rarely does a waitlist ever seem to lead me to J!

I'm a very happy man right now!
Old May 16, 2012, 8:18 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
...but in J you can always order whatever you want from the back, right? Sometimes I prefer the cheese, carrots, celery, and apples to the pancakes/eggs.
Old May 16, 2012, 11:03 pm

Programs: A3*G AC*nobody TK*nobody
less than 48hrs departure, still R0J7, still on WL. Even Y looks oversold.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.