Wiki Posts
Search

Mini RTW Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2013, 9:32 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by sp4294
I think this is the most important question OP needs an answer to. It really is a slim margin on Y if you can find some seat sales and given that you'd earn qualifying miles for an outright purchase, but a redemption may still be reasonable given the number of flights OP wants...
Yup, truly and honestly the principal value becomes the flexibility to visit various places compared to a standard restricted Y fare. I booked my father in Y because he wanted to do this a few times, and when I priced out a similar itinerary (stops in DXB, KIX, DME and a few overnights here and there), it worked out to about $6K - and with $300 of YQ that he paid he was rather happy. So there is a balance to be had in there somewhere.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 6:10 pm

Programs: Altitude E50K, WS Gold (status match)
Mini RTW Questions

Can anyone tell me some of the AE rules surrounding RTW or these "mini" RTW? Are they listed somewhere on this forum?
Old Jan 5, 2013, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by capebretonboy
Can anyone tell me some of the AE rules surrounding RTW or these "mini" RTW? Are they listed somewhere on this forum?
You're allowed two stops and your destination. You can do an open jaw at destination or at origin. You can't backtrack and/or visit the same city in each direction. You can choose more or less any routing you want, but must abide by maximum permitted mileage with some limited exceptions. The full rules are on Aeroplan's site, though. Is there something specific you're looking to find out?
Old Jan 5, 2013, 11:31 pm

Programs: Altitude E50K, WS Gold (status match)
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Is there something specific you're looking to find out?
Thanks for the info! I'm not looking for anything specific right now (in terms of routing), just curious about the rules in general and some of the information you already gave me regarding number of permitted stopovers, etc. Want to be able to maximize points vs. stops.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by capebretonboy
Thanks for the info! I'm not looking for anything specific right now (in terms of routing), just curious about the rules in general and some of the information you already gave me regarding number of permitted stopovers, etc. Want to be able to maximize points vs. stops.
In that case, generally speaking, you should be looking to do a stop in Europe, another one in Asia1 and a destination in Asia1 (or destination in Asia1 and a stop in North America). Or if you're going o Audtralia then you can stop by one I the South Pacific islands. Many an option.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 8:42 pm

Trying to go to SYD in late June from MSY

I'm starting to do my homework on a mini RTW starting in MSY and ending in SYD. Wife's going for work and I think I'll meet her there. Any advice on the following?
  • I'm flexible to take whatever route necessary to get there economically. Do you think trying to find one of these in late June is futile due to air traffic at that time? Or will I be able to find something but that I just need to accept that some of the prime F/J routes will likely be unavailable?
  • I can do my connection stop in HOU, LAX or SFO - any insight as to whether one airport is better to try vs another? I believe my first stop would likely be in SIN and then onto SYD.
  • On the way back, I'd like my second stop to be somewhere warm like French Polynesia or similar. What are the popular places with folks who do these mini RTW?

Thanks for the initial help. I'll put together some potential routings based on your input. Take care!
Old Jan 6, 2013, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by quank
I'm starting to do my homework on a mini RTW starting in MSY and ending in SYD. Wife's going for work and I think I'll meet her there. Any advice on the following?
  • I'm flexible to take whatever route necessary to get there economically. Do you think trying to find one of these in late June is futile due to air traffic at that time? Or will I be able to find something but that I just need to accept that some of the prime F/J routes will likely be unavailable?
  • I can do my connection stop in HOU, LAX or SFO - any insight as to whether one airport is better to try vs another? I believe my first stop would likely be in SIN and then onto SYD.
  • On the way back, I'd like my second stop to be somewhere warm like French Polynesia or similar. What are the popular places with folks who do these mini RTW?

Thanks for the initial help. I'll put together some potential routings based on your input. Take care!
You will find most of your options here.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...ineraries.html

If you want it to be a cheap reward your flying United. Simple as that, mostly anything else will bring the pricing over 1K in fees and charges.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 5:17 pm

I have a ticket booked in may2012. I flew the first segment in may 2012. The rest of the trip is scheduled for feb2013. Due to work reasons I cannot go in feb. Earlier I thought that I need to finish my trip by may 2013, but an air canada agent told me that I could pay the change fee, and maybe change the routing, and my ticket will be valid for 1 year from the date of reissue i.e. If I do the change now it is valid till Jan2014. Is this possible, or was the agent mistaken?
Old Jan 8, 2013, 7:59 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I think this entirely depends on whether the agent checks the original issue date of your ticket.

If I am not mistaken, you are only allowed one year to ticket (from the date you booked) and one year to complete travel (from the date you have flown your first segment).

Of course, you may get away with it. You can always try calling more than once.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 4:32 pm

Can I fly through NRT twice -- STOP and connection

Is my route valid with a connection and stop in NRT

YYZ-ORD-NRT (stop 4 days)

NRT-BKK (stop 4 days)

BKK-PEK (Stop 4 days)

PEK-NRT-YYZ
Old Jan 12, 2013, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by concol

NRT-BKK (stop 4 days)

BKK-PEK (Stop 4 days)

PEK-NRT-YYZ
very legal, but save some money by not doing ORD-NRT on NH, and not doing NRT-YYZ on AC.
The Asian YQs are not too bad - but still probably around $250-$300 extra

If NRT-BKK-PEK are on TG/NH - it will also cost you extra.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 4:34 pm

NRT-BKK (stop 4 days)

BKK-PEK (Stop 4 days)

PEK-NRT-YYZ
Your destination is BKK in this case, so your routing is completely legitimate. But flying PEK-NRT-YYZ will cost you a FORTUNE in YQ.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 3:16 pm

NRT-BKK (stop 4 days)

BKK-PEK (Stop 4 days)

PEK-NRT-YYZ
Originally Posted by rankourabu
very legal, but save some money by not doing ORD-NRT on NH, and not doing NRT-YYZ on AC.
The Asian YQs are not too bad - but still probably around $250-$300 extra

If NRT-BKK-PEK are on TG/NH - it will also cost you extra.
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Your destination is BKK in this case, so your routing is completely legitimate. But flying PEK-NRT-YYZ will cost you a FORTUNE in YQ.
Thanks … Just helped my friend book

YYZ-ORD -- UA-J
ORD-NRT -- NH-J
NRT 4 days
NRT-BBK --TG(A380) –J
BKK – 4 days
BKK-PEK -- TG – J
PEK 4 days
PEK-NRT -- NH-J
NRT-YYZ -- AC-J

Two tickets – 250,000 Points plus approx. $1,545 taxes, fuel and booking fee.

Booked Jan 13 - for travel starting June 30th

Thanks for all the help
Old Jan 13, 2013, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL

Two tickets – 250,000 Points plus approx. $1,545 taxes, fuel and booking fee.
ouch... thats over $650 in scamcharges per ticket... ouch, but with TG, NH and AC you hit the trifecta of being scammed.

If you used CA for BKK-PEK-NRT, you would have saved $100+ and had a better product to boot. If you used UA NRT-XXX-YYZ, you would have saved a further $200.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 3:19 pm

open jaw rule / YYZ-CEB with stop in HKG and SIN

I am a little confused about the open-jaw rule. Is my planned itinerary valid?

YYZ-ICN-CEB (since Asiana (OZ) is the only *A carrier that services CEB I am forced to transit in ICN)

CEB - 12 days – and will travel to HKG on my own

HKG-SIN – 2 days in SIN

SIN-YYZ

I really don't need the open jaw if the itinerary below is valid

Since OZ is the only *A carrier to service CEB is the follow route valid.

YYZ-ICN-CEB 12 days in CEB

CEB-ICN-HKG

3 days in HKG

HKG-SIN

3 days in SIN

SIN-YYZ

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.