Mini RTW Questions

Old Jan 17, 2013, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Come back to report after you get off SYD-SFO in craptastic UA 747 economy minus

What happened to Air NZ - that at least would have been tolerable Y!
Now, now...let the man enjoy his new adventure. Sounds like an awesome trip and certainly some sweet destinations! Let's see if you can still feel your legs after that last TPAC segment
Old Jan 17, 2013, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by Dorian
I'd die.
Oh man...me too. Just the thought of all that long haul Y at my age would make me cringe!
Old Jan 18, 2013, 4:35 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by sp4294
Oh man...me too. Just the thought of all that long haul Y at my age would make me cringe!
Tsk, first world problems
Old Jan 18, 2013, 6:50 am

Programs: AP, AM
Originally Posted by sp4294
Let's see if you can still feel your legs after that last TPAC segment
Heh. I'm really hoping that I can curl up on the floor in the extra space around our 2 seats in the back of the plane while my wife stretches across both seats. It worked quite well for us when we did it in an exit row from YVR-OGG, other than the odd looks. I slept for half the flight.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:32 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Beavertails
For the SIN-SYD flight, we're on the A380-800. I managed to get upper deck seats. Economy, but still on the top floor. The 2-4-2 configuration online looks great for economy. (Row 73 if anyone is interested). Anyone fly SQ up top? How is it in Y?

I flew SQ 380 in Y twice including SIN-SYD but on lower level - the plane was half empty both times so I (and almost everyone else) had an entire row to myself, so in that case better to have 3 seats vs. 2. Huge plane, you can wander both levels for some exercise . For lower level window seats it's difficult to lean against the side-wall unless you have a huge pillow because the wall bulges outward/too far from arm-rest, and also the leg room restricted a little because the wall comes in - I think this is better on top deck. Fabulous experience SQ in general for Y - service, friendliness, magnum bar for dessert , serve-yourself all you want snacks (sandwiches, chocolate bars, fruit, drinks, etc) laid out in the galley, etc... put the usual Y experience to shame.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 1:38 pm

Programs: AP, AM
Originally Posted by KatCanuck
...Fabulous experience SQ in general for Y...
Thanks! I hope the plane is empty too, or oversold just enough that they decide to bump us to First Class over every other passenger on board.

Glad to hear that you had a great experience in Y.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by KatCanuck
I flew SQ 380 in Y twice including SIN-SYD but on lower level - the plane was half empty both times so I (and almost everyone else) had an entire row to myself,
Same thing happened to us flying to Australia on NZ in Y during the SARS outbreak...more than half the plane empty and rows of seats to chose for oneself! Best Y trip ever...
Old Jan 19, 2013, 12:42 pm

Programs: AS 75K, DL Plat, *G, OW G, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat
Mini RTW - flying from hawaii

Hi Guys,

I had a question about doing a mini RTW starting in Hawaii.

I noticed that a J redemption from hawaii to Australia is 90k, vs the 135K from North America. If I flew on a cheap ticket to HNL or something like that would I still be able to have some creative stops, or does that seriously impact the MPM?

I imagine I wouldnt be able to stop in europe, but perhaps a few stops in asia?
Just starting to plan now, but I thought that this could be a potential sweet spot.

Does the 2 stop over rule still apply for ex: hnl-syd or hnl-bkk?

Thanks,

Jason

Last edited by jason53; Jan 19, 2013 at 1:15 pm
Old Jan 19, 2013, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by jason53
Just starting to plan now, but I thought that this could be a potential sweet spot.

Thanks,

Jason
Between Hawaii and SYD you would have 6397 miles to work with (MEL 6972), so I dont imagine you d be able to squeeze in Asia.

Sorry, Aeroplan is very restrictive when it comes to mileage allowed on awards.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 1:17 pm

Programs: AS 75K, DL Plat, *G, OW G, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat
thank you for the MPM on hawaii to australis

hawaii to asia 1 or 2 is also 90K, would I be able to stop in australia on the way back for that?
Old Jan 19, 2013, 1:50 pm

Programs: AC UA TK FI DL
Hello,

Trying to book a trip for my parents:

YYZ-ICN (ICN - stop)
ICN-BKK (BKK - turn)
BKK-HKG (HKG - stop)
HKG-YYZ

I tried putting the segments into United's MP website one segment at a time, but not sure which column I should be looking at.

Looking to book Business or First when available, but United's website has Saver Award vs Standard Award. Some flights are available for Saver, while others are Standard Award only.

Since I am using Aeroplan miles, does it matter whether it is Saver vs Standard? (as long as there are seats displayed, I can call Aeroplan and book them even though they are listed as Standard in United?)

Or is it better to use ANA's search engine or Aeroplans?

Any input is appreciated.
Thanks!
Old Jan 19, 2013, 1:55 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by iamaho
Hello,

Trying to book a trip for my parents:

YYZ-ICN (ICN - stop)
ICN-BKK (BKK - turn)
BKK-HKG (HKG - stop)
HKG-YYZ

I tried putting the segments into United's MP website one segment at a time, but not sure which column I should be looking at.

Looking to book Business or First when available, but United's website has Saver Award vs Standard Award. Some flights are available for Saver, while others are Standard Award only.

Since I am using Aeroplan miles, does it matter whether it is Saver vs Standard? (as long as there are seats displayed, I can call Aeroplan and book them even though they are listed as Standard in United?)

Or is it better to use ANA's search engine or Aeroplans?

Any input is appreciated.
Thanks!

use my site (signature). far better if all you need is availability
Old Jan 19, 2013, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by iamaho

you can only book the blue (saver) awards with Aeroplan miles.

Mileage requirement is for redeeming UA miles - and will be different for Aeroplan
more importantly, the taxes on united.com are for using UA miles - your Aeroplan bill will be always higher - and in some cases, hundreds of dollars higher.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by jason53
thank you for the MPM on hawaii to australis

hawaii to asia 1 or 2 is also 90K, would I be able to stop in australia on the way back for that?
Same problem...
Old Jan 20, 2013, 1:45 am

Programs: AC UA TK FI DL
back again... thanks rankourabu and Pseudo Nim for the tips...

Now I got some dates and flights back from UA and ANA's searches...
I know that the airlines chosen are all subjected to massive scamcharges... I've warned them, but my parents don't seem to mind as much, as long as they get to fly the nicer airlines (they are in their 70s)

Is there any way to improve this?

September 18 (YYZ-ICN):
Option 1: YYZ-ICN, AC61 (777-300ER), J class
Option 2: YYZ-ORD-ICN, UA547 (319), J class / OZ235 (777-300ER), J class

September 24 (ICN-BKK):
Option 1: ICN-BKK, OZ741 (330), J class
Option 2: ICN-HKG-BKK, TG629 (777-200), J class

October 11 (BKK-HKG):
Option 1: BKK-HKG, TG638 (330), J class
Option 2: BKK-HKG, TG606 (747-400), J class

October 24 (HKG-YYZ):
Option 1: HKG-NRT-YYZ, UA78 (737-800), Y class / AC2 (777-300), J class
Option 2: HKG-ICN-YYZ, OZ746 (747-400), J class / AC62 (777-300), J class

The October 24 HKG-YYZ leg is toughest as there doesn't seem to have any availability... Even though OZ has J, the layover is insane. Y from HKG-NRT is the only available option. I even tried looking at HKG-IST-YYZ, but Turkish doesn't seem to have any seats in J.
Suggestions? Improvements? Any help is appreciated!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.