Mini RTW Questions

Old Dec 28, 2012, 8:04 am

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Gold, HH D
Looking for some MPM help on a mini-RTW

I'm trying to book a trip for two to Europe, and running into some MPM problems. All flights are available and have two seats in J, but it won't go through because i'm over the max MPM. The woman on the phone said I was at "15 MPM" but couldn't explain exactly what that meant.

My current itinerary is:

YYZ-MUC
Openjaw
BUD-FRA-HEL
HEL-CPH
CPH-YYZ

On Expert Flyer, this clocks in at 10433 miles, but I'm not sure I'm doing this correctly.

I checked the MPM tool, and got this:

YTO AC MUC AC BUD AC HEL AC CPG AC YTO /24JUL13

CTY GI TPM CUM MPM EMS DED LAST NEXT 25M

YTO 1
1. MUC 2 AT 4136 4136 4963 0M 0 0 827 6203
2. BUD 2 AT 351 4487 5348 0M 0 0 861 6685
3. HEL 2 AT 919 5406 5247 5M 0 159 103 6558
4. CPG 1 - 4365 9771 ****
5. YTO 1 - 5701 15472 ****

Any advice on how I can rectify this situation? Unfortunately the woman on the phone was less familiar with it all than I was!

Edit: I think going through WAW from BUD->HEL on LOT will get me there, instead of flying back through FRA. Thoughts?

Solved! Changed my routing to go YYZ->MUC->BUD->WAW->HEL->CPG->YYZ, eliminating some stopovers and a backtrack through FRA. Taxes and surcharges were obscene though.

Last edited by phedre; Dec 28, 2012 at 9:02 am
Old Dec 31, 2012, 5:16 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Cancel vs Make a Change to Award?

I should already know this, but wanted to double check with the experts!

Have a mini-rtw award booked for travel for 2 of us -- It was ticketed in August 2012 for travel in May 2013. Due to some health issues, there is no way we can make the trip.

As I understand it I have 2 choices:

1. Cancel the award at least 22 days before first flight and get all miles back with a $90.00 per person cancel fee.

2. Instead of cancel, change the trip-the intent is to make a similar trip in Oct/Nov 2013--but I think since the ticket was issued Aug 2012 I could only use it if I commence the 2nd trip within 1 year of issue date?

Seems to me cancelling is best option for us--either 1 or 2 cost the same, except if I cancel and rebook for some unknown future date I would have to pay another ~$30 booking fee per person.

Am I missing anything in my analysis?
Old Jan 1, 2013, 1:52 pm

Routing Rules

Hi all,

I was trying to book a trip to Australia for June. I found space on the following routing:

YYZ - SEA - NRT - AKL (stop) - MEL (dest) - BKK - NRT (stop) - ORD - YYZ

Calling in, I was told transiting NRT is not permitted on Australia awards. I asked about MPM and was told that wasn't relevant.

If one can't transit NRT, which hubs are permitted for CAN/USA to Australia?

Thanks guys.
PS -- Pseudo Nim, NRT is your domain. Would love to hear your input

Edit2: Called back and got this ticketed (with a 25 hour stop in NRT on the way to AKL that I missed but they didn't catch). Tried to book the NRT - ORD for myself using US miles but apparently US is blocking NH J now

Last edited by mabramovich; Jan 1, 2013 at 4:35 pm Reason: Missed the NRT connection
Old Jan 1, 2013, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by phedre
I'm trying to book a trip for two to Europe, and running into some MPM problems. All flights are available and have two seats in J, but it won't go through because i'm over the max MPM. The woman on the phone said I was at "15 MPM" but couldn't explain exactly what that meant.

My current itinerary is:

YYZ-MUC
Openjaw
BUD-FRA-HEL
HEL-CPH
CPH-YYZ

On Expert Flyer, this clocks in at 10433 miles, but I'm not sure I'm doing this correctly.

I checked the MPM tool, and got this:

YTO AC MUC AC BUD AC HEL AC CPG AC YTO /24JUL13

CTY GI TPM CUM MPM EMS DED LAST NEXT 25M

YTO 1
1. MUC 2 AT 4136 4136 4963 0M 0 0 827 6203
2. BUD 2 AT 351 4487 5348 0M 0 0 861 6685
3. HEL 2 AT 919 5406 5247 5M 0 159 103 6558
4. CPG 1 - 4365 9771 ****
5. YTO 1 - 5701 15472 ****

Any advice on how I can rectify this situation? Unfortunately the woman on the phone was less familiar with it all than I was!

Edit: I think going through WAW from BUD->HEL on LOT will get me there, instead of flying back through FRA. Thoughts?

Solved! Changed my routing to go YYZ->MUC->BUD->WAW->HEL->CPG->YYZ, eliminating some stopovers and a backtrack through FRA. Taxes and surcharges were obscene though.
It all depends on what they take as your POT (in this case WAW). You are allowed MPM + 5% on AE. The return (because of the OJ) with deviation to HEL through FRA on your original itin did not work.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by mabramovich
Hi all,

I was trying to book a trip to Australia for June. I found space on the following routing:

YYZ - SEA - AKL (stop) - MEL (dest) - BKK - NRT - (stop) ORD - YYZ

Calling in, I was told transiting NRT is not permitted on Australia awards. I asked about MPM and was told that wasn't relevant.

Thanks guys.
SEA - AKL? Via what city? You need to go via YVR or LAX/SFO.
BKK is probably your problem on return if you want to go via NRT. Can you go direct MEL- NRT? or route via ICN? via ORD?
SQ has a published routing LAX-NRT-SYD (via SIN) I think. You won't get SQ J though.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by mapleg
I should already know this, but wanted to double check with the experts!

Have a mini-rtw award booked for travel for 2 of us -- It was ticketed in August 2012 for travel in May 2013. Due to some health issues, there is no way we can make the trip.

As I understand it I have 2 choices:

1. Cancel the award at least 22 days before first flight and get all miles back with a $90.00 per person cancel fee.

2. Instead of cancel, change the trip-the intent is to make a similar trip in Oct/Nov 2013--but I think since the ticket was issued Aug 2012 I could only use it if I commence the 2nd trip within 1 year of issue date?

Seems to me cancelling is best option for us--either 1 or 2 cost the same, except if I cancel and rebook for some unknown future date I would have to pay another ~$30 booking fee per person.

Am I missing anything in my analysis?
Just my opinion, but I'd canel and get my health sorted out before making any commitments. Unless of course you can push the flights back to before Aug 2013 if you are confident of health before then. Good luck. Hope its nothing too serious.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by sp4294
SEA - AKL? Via what city? You need to go via YVR or LAX/SFO.
BKK is probably your problem on return if you want to go via NRT. Can you go direct MEL- NRT? or route via ICN? via ORD?
SQ has a published routing LAX-NRT-SYD (via SIN) I think. You won't get SQ J though.
SEA - NRT - AKL, my bad. I corrected it.

Nope, there was no MEL - NRT.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 8:53 am

Hi everyone, I am new to FT and I have been reading as much as possible on this forum about the mini RTW trips. I have learned so much on this site and I am grateful for any help, but I haven't found the answers to what I am trying to plan. It is very similar to mabramovich post.

I am trying to plan a trip on economy for 2, I was thinking this routing would work for April travel, but from what I am reading it isn't possible.

YYZ-LAX-MEL (destination) (UA and NZ)
MEL-AKL (Stop) (NZ)
AKL-NRT (Stop) (NZ) or via PVG (Air China)
NRT-LAX-YYZ (home)

The reason I am thinking of this is because AKL has flights to NRT, I didn't find any flights for MEL to NRT.

After seeing mabramovich plan, I was thinking of doing something very similar as my MEL and AKL stops can be switched, but he said that it wasn't possible to transit through NRT with MEL and AKL stops. Any advice would be great on this plan.

thank you for your help in advance.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 3:26 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by mabramovich
Hi all,

YYZ - SEA - NRT - AKL (stop) - MEL (dest) - BKK - NRT (stop) - ORD - YYZ

Thanks guys.

Edit2: Called back and got this ticketed (with a 25 hour stop in NRT on the way to AKL that I missed but they didn't catch). Tried to book the NRT - ORD for myself using US miles but apparently US is blocking NH J now
Oops, sorry - saw this a bit too late - but I was going to reply you can't do it because of BKK. I'm really impressed they let you! So MEL-BKK-NRT-ORD-YYZ is a legitimate routing??? On which airline, I wonder? Can you post your full itin? (carriers etc)
Old Jan 2, 2013, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by coconutjay
Hi everyone, I am new to FT and I have been reading as much as possible on this forum about the mini RTW trips. I have learned so much on this site and I am grateful for any help, but I haven't found the answers to what I am trying to plan. It is very similar to mabramovich post.

I am trying to plan a trip on economy for 2, I was thinking this routing would work for April travel, but from what I am reading it isn't possible.

YYZ-LAX-MEL (destination) (UA and NZ)
MEL-AKL (Stop) (NZ)
AKL-NRT (Stop) (NZ) or via PVG (Air China)
NRT-LAX-YYZ (home)

The reason I am thinking of this is because AKL has flights to NRT, I didn't find any flights for MEL to NRT.

After seeing mabramovich plan, I was thinking of doing something very similar as my MEL and AKL stops can be switched, but he said that it wasn't possible to transit through NRT with MEL and AKL stops. Any advice would be great on this plan.

thank you for your help in advance.
I would try to route through ICN or HKG instead on the way back, but I think you might still be over MPM ... the MEL - AKL portion may be your problem. (some one else chime in?) Perhaps consider going via SEA or ORD on UA or OZ or NH? Or try NRT or HKG - YYZ on AC direct or via SEA on UA/AC?
Old Jan 2, 2013, 9:45 pm

I would try to route through ICN or HKG instead on the way back, but I think you might still be over MPM ... the MEL - AKL portion may be your problem. (some one else chime in?) Perhaps consider going via ORD on OZ or NH? Or try NRT or HKG - YYZ on AC?
Routing via NRT is allowed because it's a published routing (and to hell with MPM, basically). I'm not sure whether there is one through PVG/ICN, though.

Do NOT fly NRT-YYZ on AC. This will cost like $350 in scamcharges.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Routing via NRT is allowed because it's a published routing (and to hell with MPM, basically). I'm not sure whether there is one through PVG/ICN, though.

Do NOT fly NRT-YYZ on AC. This will cost like $350 in scamcharges.
Yes, of course, UA would be best, but he is already going to get hit with some on NZ.
NRT - SEA - YYZ might be good if he can get UA all the way? How about via PEK with CA?
Old Jan 2, 2013, 9:59 pm

Yes, of course, UA would be best, but he is already going to get hit with some on NZ.
NRT - SEA - YYZ might be good if he can get UA all the way? How about via PEK with CA?
Yep that would work.

Doesn't NRT-SEA feature the 787? That's a worthwhile investment of a scamcharge
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Oops, sorry - saw this a bit too late - but I was going to reply you can't do it because of BKK. I'm really impressed they let you! So MEL-BKK-NRT-ORD-YYZ is a legitimate routing??? On which airline, I wonder? Can you post your full itin? (carriers etc)
Well who knows if it's valid or if my second agent didn't know the rules.

Itinerary is:

YYZ - SEA (AC Y)
SEA - NRT (NH J 788)
NRT - AKL (NZ J and stop) -- on the 777-200, which looks like it still has the 'old' BusinessPremier, but I hope it should be fine. I misread my little table that I had made and gave the date wrong so the stop in NRT is 26 hours, and the NRT - AKL flight has a 90 min ground stop in Osaka. We actually prefer having an overnight on the ground instead of a 2 hour connection for other 10 hour flight, so in the end I am pleased with this!
AKL - MEL (NZ J and stop)
MEL - BKK (TG J) -- 777 which I think has old seats?
BKK - NRT (TG J 388 and stop)
NRT - ORD (NH J)
ORD - YYZ (AC Y)

$1322 all-in charges

I tried to book the same thing on US/UA miles, with the NRT - AKL - MEL - BKK - NRT on UA and the YYZ - NRT on US, but US could not see NRT - ORD on NH, so I grabbed NRT - YYC - YYZ for myself on AC. There's a 5.5 hour connection in YYC, but I'm hoping I can same-day standby since it's a J ticket or same-day change in YYC for $75. I actually don't mind flying AC J -- never done it longhaul and usually expensive to do on Aeroplan miles.

We actually wanted to OJ and fly CHC - MEL but the first agent said it's only 1 OJ or 2 stopovers, so we changed to AKL - MEL. I didn't ask the second agent about the OJ and just gave her the AKL - MEL.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:09 pm

Wait, I hope that $1,322 is not per person, right?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.