Mini RTW Questions

Old Dec 9, 2012, 1:38 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by d00little
Hi, I'm starting to think about booking my first ever mini-RTW in Business class for next October. Unlike many members on the board, I'm unfamiliar with the availability of J on various flights.

Could someone tell how easy (or difficult) it would likely be getting J seats on these flights:

YUL-ZRH on LX
SFO-HKG on SQ
ICN-SFO on SQ
NRT-SFO on UA

I'm trying to decide how I want to cross the oceans for my mini-RTW.
Already posted but with LX you have a chance (esp. if you only need 1 seat), and if your dates are flexible. SQ zero possiblity. UA almost guaranteed, one way or another.

Originally Posted by hearna
Unless something has changed in the last month; the first (YUL-ZRH) only being released <2weeks prior is incorrect; I was able to book 2 on the flight about 6 weeks ago for a trip in May 2012.

Granted it was not easy finding availability...
Actually yeah - LX is quite unpredictable, but NOTHING like SQ. First off, within the 2 week window, stuff opens up sometimes. But more so yet, sometimes, they just randomly release seats in the future.

Data point: I booked a trip for ourselves and for my mom for next year. Her YUL-ZRH was available in 2J right away, but ZRH-YUL was not. I had to route YUL-MUC-etc because I need 3J and couldn't find anything.

About a month ago, I got an email from my watchlist telling me ZRH-YUL opened on her dates, and what's crazier, YUL-ZRH opened 3J on MY date! I haven't a clue whether LX's reservation system barfed, but I have never seen 3J open up in one shot, so obviously I grabbed it (curiously, after the change fees, I came up as almost a wash with LH YUL-MUC, but since I am not guaranteed new F on the LH 333, I decided it was worth it).

Morale: 1) plan well ahead, 2) be flexible, and 3) use my site (and send me beer money )
Old Dec 18, 2012, 3:52 pm

Mini-RTW Trip help (airlines to choose)

Hi Everyone,

I had posted previously and got some excellent advice in terms of booking business over economy and how this mini-RTW works. I am pretty close to figuring out my trip but would love to get some help in deciding which routes to take based on airline and whether I would get a old or new airplane configuration. I have tried to do research but can't seem to understand how to know, so appreciate any insights:

Stopover 1:
YYZ - MUC (AC846: Airbus A330-300)
MUC - FCO (short flight)

Destination:
FCO - BKK (TG945: 747)

Stopover 2:
BKK - PEK (CA980: 777-200)
PEK - NRT (NH906: 737)

Return Flight:
NRT - ORD (NH12: 777-300) - I can't find business here, what are the chances of getting it on standby?
ORD - YYZ (short flight)

Thanks in andvance for your assistance, it is very appreciated!
Old Dec 18, 2012, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by farooqm
NRT - ORD (NH12: 777-300) - I can't find business here, what are the chances of getting it on standby?!
Your route is fine.

Chances of standby are zero. The only way you will get in business if it opens up before the flight, and you proactively call Aeroplan to change the ticket (free).

Your route is likely to attract about $800+ in scamcharges for the AC, TG and NH segments.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 4:39 pm

Thanks rankourabu. I looked at the links in your signature, very cool. Good to know on the standby. I will have to watch this like a hawk, or potentially shift dates to ensure business. The scamcharges are unfortunate, there were some UA flights earlier but they are mostly gone now as I had to get confirmation on vacation schedules.

Questions:
1. There are potential AC flights available in econ, would it be the same situation for standby on AC? (obviously the scamcharges would be higher)
2. I know that there are a lot of threads around the reconfig on the UA 777's, for some of these segments would it be new or old planes and would it be worth it to pay the extra money for the other carriers to avoid the older UA planes?

Last edited by farooqm; Dec 18, 2012 at 4:44 pm
Old Dec 18, 2012, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Questions:
1. There are potential AC flights available in econ, would it be the same situation for standby on AC? (obviously the scamcharges would be higher)
2. I know that there are a lot of threads around the reconfig on the UA 777's, for some of these segments would it be new or old planes and would it be worth it to pay the extra money for the other carriers to avoid the older UA planes?
I dont know if scamcharges would be higher on AC vs NH - my bet is it would be very close. There are no more old 777s flying TPAC with UA except for NRT-SEA occasionally.

With AC metal, in theory there is standby - but you are at the bottom of the list - so very unlikely.

You can set up free alerts to see if inventory opens up at wandr.me
Old Dec 18, 2012, 6:02 pm

I will definitely set those alerts. Thanks!

What about connection times, there was a potential option I was looking at but there was 48 mins between two connections. If I were to miss a flight I assume I would be put on the next one, but would I be guaranteed business?
Old Dec 18, 2012, 8:19 pm

Programs: AC E; Marriott Platinum
Hi Everyone,

Stopover 1:
YYZ - MUC (AC846: Airbus A330-300)
MUC - FCO (short flight)

Destination:
FCO - BKK (TG945: 747)

Stopover 2:
BKK - PEK (CA980: 777-200)
PEK - NRT (NH906: 737)

Return Flight:
NRT - ORD (NH12: 777-300) - I can't find business here, what are the chances of getting it on standby?
ORD - YYZ (short flight)

Thanks in andvance for your assistance, it is very appreciated!
Stopover 1: Ouch, $300+ scamcharges. Is there no way you can route through UA or TK (NA destinations include ORD, IAD, JFK)?

Destination: I don't know if they changed it, but last I heard the TG747 that flies to FCO is a 20 year old bird with crappy J seats. FCO also has a pretty crappy lounge, so not much to look forward to there.

Stopover 2: See if you can get the direct TG flight. Much better and worth the scamcharge.

Return home: See if you can route through Europe on a non-scamcharge carrier. If you consolidate all of your changes to one change fee, it will be worth it to get the better routing.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 1:03 pm

Programs: AC, BA, Marriott, SPG
I have a question regarding the stopover rules and a booking I have made. The trip is:

LHR-NRT (open jaw)
KIX-BKK
BKK-USM (stop)
USM-BKK
BKK-LHR

The agent on the phone said that I am not allowed to go through BKK twice but the issue is there is no way to get to USM but through BKK. Was she correct or should I have been able to book the trip?
Old Dec 19, 2012, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seegs
I have a question regarding the stopover rules and a booking I have made. The trip is:

LHR-NRT (open jaw)
KIX-BKK
BKK-USM (stop)
USM-BKK
BKK-LHR

The agent on the phone said that I am not allowed to go through BKK twice but the issue is there is no way to get to USM but through BKK. Was she correct or should I have been able to book the trip?
The agent is right, the only way to solve that is to also fly NRT-KIX, and then USM becomes a destination.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
The agent is right, the only way to solve that is to also fly NRT-KIX, and then USM becomes a destination.
so it would be:

LHR-NRT (stop)
NRT-KIX (stop)
KIX-BKK
BKK-USM (stop)
USM-BKK
BKK-LHR
Old Dec 19, 2012, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

so it would be:
if thats within MPM, then yes. you can use HND/ITM as well.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 1:47 pm

Programs: Hilton Hhonours Gold,
so it would be:

LHR-NRT (stop)
NRT-KIX (stop)
KIX-BKK
BKK-USM (stop)
USM-BKK
BKK-LHR
I don't think it will work either, you can't go through BKK twice, regardless if USM is your destination or not. You probably has to buy the BKK-USM itinerary on your own. If I am not mistaken.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skylighter7867
I don't think it will work either, you can't go through BKK twice, regardless if USM is your destination or not. You probably has to buy the BKK-USM itinerary on your own. If I am not mistaken.
sure you can, its just like buying YVR-YYZ-YUL(dest)-YYZ-YVR

how else would one get to/from USM?
Old Dec 19, 2012, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
sure you can, its just like buying YVR-YYZ-YUL(dest)-YYZ-YVR

how else would one get to/from USM?
Thanks for your quick responses! I booked it anyway and I am debating the 30k points for J BKK-USM-BKK separately or paying 350 CAD cash for the return flight.

I may also wait until March 1st when I have one free change and change the routing for NRT/HND-KIX/ITN. I needed to book this as the TK flights only had 2 J class tickets left and I couldn't stand the thought of having to pay YQ.

Separate question, if I route to NRT through IST, can I come back from BKK via IST as well?
Old Dec 19, 2012, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Separate question, if I route to NRT through IST, can I come back from BKK via IST as well?
yes you can.

30k would be a waste on Thai domestic J - just fly Bangkok Air.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.