Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mini RTW Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2013, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by sp4294
I would try to route through ICN or HKG instead on the way back, but I think you might still be over MPM ... the MEL - AKL portion may be your problem. (some one else chime in?) Perhaps consider going via SEA or ORD on UA or OZ or NH? Or try NRT or HKG - YYZ on AC direct or via SEA on UA/AC?
Would changing the routing to

YYZ-LAX-AKL (stop) (UA8385 and NZ) *because the UA flight is operated by AC do I get hit with surcharges with this one?)
AKL-MEL (Destination) (NZ)
Return portion
MEL-SIN-NRT (stop) (SQ) or
MEL-SIN-HKG-NRT (Stop) (SQ, NH) I read that if the connecting flight SQ doesn't have surcharges, NH portion will not as well, is this true) or
MEL-BKK-NRT (Stop)-TG (save on surcharges and maximize the day as this is a night flight)

NRT-ORD-YYZ (UA)-been on this one several times and it is an old plane without personal tvs

I was under the impression that stop overs needed to be on route to your destination, is this not the case ? Adding the NRT stop while heading back to YYZ seems off route.

Also does it help to use published routes and will this help to bypass the MPM rules?
Old Jan 3, 2013, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by mabramovich
Well who knows if it's valid or if my second agent didn't know the rules.

Itinerary is:

YYZ - SEA (AC Y)
SEA - NRT (NH J 788)
NRT - AKL (NZ J and stop) -- on the 777-200, which looks like it still has the 'old' BusinessPremier, but I hope it should be fine. I misread my little table that I had made and gave the date wrong so the stop in NRT is 26 hours, and the NRT - AKL flight has a 90 min ground stop in Osaka. We actually prefer having an overnight on the ground instead of a 2 hour connection for other 10 hour flight, so in the end I am pleased with this!
AKL - MEL (NZ J and stop)
MEL - BKK (TG J) -- 777 which I think has old seats?
BKK - NRT (TG J 388 and stop)
NRT - ORD (NH J)
ORD - YYZ (AC Y)

$1322 all-in charges

I tried to book the same thing on US/UA miles, with the NRT - AKL - MEL - BKK - NRT on UA and the YYZ - NRT on US, but US could not see NRT - ORD on NH, so I grabbed NRT - YYC - YYZ for myself on AC. There's a 5.5 hour connection in YYC, but I'm hoping I can same-day standby since it's a J ticket or same-day change in YYC for $75. I actually don't mind flying AC J -- never done it longhaul and usually expensive to do on Aeroplan miles.

We actually wanted to OJ and fly CHC - MEL but the first agent said it's only 1 OJ or 2 stopovers, so we changed to AKL - MEL. I didn't ask the second agent about the OJ and just gave her the AKL - MEL.

As I am thinking of doing the same routing as you, can you tell me which flights were the costly ones? Also, was there a reason you choose to go YYZ-SEA-NRT-AKL for the start? Seems like you are changing planes often and incurring more surcharges, was YYZ-LAX-AKL an option?
Was there a reason you didn't go on UA for your return from NRT via ORD to YYZ?
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:07 am

huh? where did u find UA8385?

Originally Posted by coconutjay

YYZ-LAX-AKL (stop) (UA8385 and NZ) *because the UA flight is operated by AC do I get hit with surcharges with this one?)
Return portion
MEL-SIN-HKG-NRT (Stop) (SQ, NH) I read that if the connecting flight SQ doesn't have surcharges, NH portion will not as well, is this true) or
MEL-BKK-NRT (Stop)-TG (save on surcharges and maximize the day as this is a night flight)

NRT-ORD-YYZ (UA)-been on this one several times and it is an old plane without personal tvs

I was under the impression that stop overs needed to be on route to your destination, is this not the case ? Adding the NRT stop while heading back to YYZ seems off route.

Also does it help to use published routes and will this help to bypass the MPM rules?
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
huh? where did u find UA8385?
My apologies, that was YYZ-LAX-MEL and not YYZ-LAX-AKL. I have to look at finding a combination to reduce the surcharges from AC to get to AKL, maybe go YYZ-ORD-LAX-AKL. Any suggestions?
Old Jan 3, 2013, 11:04 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
As I am thinking of doing the same routing as you, can you tell me which flights were the costly ones? Also, was there a reason you choose to go YYZ-SEA-NRT-AKL for the start? Seems like you are changing planes often and incurring more surcharges, was YYZ-LAX-AKL an option?
Easy - any flight over water costs YQ, and worse so from certain locations, ie Japan (where the YQ is something like $350 vs HKG which is $250 - go explain that one as anything other an gouging).

Also, you can search these segments on ITA and it'll give you the YQ. Or wait a week or two till I add that feature to my site.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 12:17 pm

My apologies, that was YYZ-LAX-MEL and not YYZ-LAX-AKL. I have to look at finding a combination to reduce the surcharges from AC to get to AKL, maybe go YYZ-ORD-LAX-AKL. Any suggestions?
UA8385 is a codeshared flight and i understand star alliance rewards do not offer other members' codeshare flights for booking (UA/AC).

airline partners may offer codeshared flights for redemption (AC/BR in the past, UA/EK etc).

Then again I may be wrong.......
Old Jan 3, 2013, 5:18 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K; Marriott Titanium; NEXUS
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Anyone an EF expert here? How would I look up these routings on there? Simply looking up fares on MEL-YTO doesn't even show SQ/OZ as published carriers.
mel-ord shows up
Old Jan 3, 2013, 9:06 pm

As Psuedo Nim said, anything Aeroplan charges YQ on is "costly." Each NH segment was $300 or so in YQ, as we the NZ segment NRT - AKL. YYZ - SEA one-way has $112 in taxes.

The only TPAC space I found 2 seats in J on was on NH, and I thought the 787 out of SEA would be great. I don't think NZ releases much LAX - AKL award space -- I couldn't find any for my dates, in any case.

As for the return, my friend would rather pay the YQ and have a really nice NH flight on the new interiors than just take a "boring" UA business. Neither he nor I have flown long-haul business before (although I did my first long-haul first last year!)
Old Jan 3, 2013, 9:57 pm

No, not really (how is it different than HKG?)

Yes An SQ published flight through SIN needs to have the flights to/from SIN on SQ. The rest don't matter. SQ J not so easy to get except intra-Asia.

Last edited by sp4294; Jan 3, 2013 at 10:08 pm
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:00 pm

Return portion

Stopovers can be anywhere. You can do two stopovers, then destination, or destination first, then two stopovers, or one stopover on each side of the destination.

Using MPM absolutely does help, but the problem is availability on MPM routes, as they are often more restrictive (i.e. you MUST fly SYD-SIN on SQ as sp4294 wrote - which may only be available in cattle, or not at all).
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:04 pm

Bottom line: If you fly UA or CA = minimal YQ. The others you mention ie: NH, AC, NZ, SQ, TG will all hit you with more. So then the tradeoff is what are you getting for it? ie: B788 SEA-NRT or NH new J NRT - ORD/LAX/SFO etc. for example or SQ J - well, good luck on that one! Also, LAX - AKL direct is not easy at all if you want J. So you go via Asia instead. Remember the furthest location to them is your turn around point usually and will determine if MPM kicks in.

Last edited by sp4294; Jan 3, 2013 at 10:10 pm
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:33 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50K, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum, Accor Diamond
I had originally booked this itinerary in November for next July:
YYZ-ORD - AC J - E75 - (overnight <24hrs)
ORD-NRT - NH F - 777-300ER - (overnight <24hrs)
NRT-HKG - NH J - 763 - stop
HKG-BKK - TG F - A380 - (overnight <24hrs)
BKK-MUC - TG F - 747-400 - (overnight <24hrs)
MUC-VIE - LH J - Fokker 100 - stop
VIE-FRA - LH J - A319 (overnight <24hrs)
FRA-ORD - UA F - 777-200
ORD-YYZ - UA J - CR7

However, now OZ F ORD-ICN is showing available again as there were previously some systems issues so I'm debating the merits of changing from NH F to OZ F as I am indifferent as to whether I spend a night in ICN or NRT. Does anyone know which has higher YQ? Both of their F products are pretty high quality so the actual flight experience would be a bit of a toss up.

As well, does anyone know if I could do a connection in BKK > 24hrs as I'm pretty sure that is considered the 'turn' on this itinerary as I only have 2 other stops?

If I am able to switch both, then I could definitely justify the $90 change fee.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by habshabs444
FRA-ORD - UA F - 777-200
ORD-YYZ - UA J - CR7

However, now OZ F ORD-ICN is showing available again as there were previously some systems issues so I'm debating the merits of changing from NH F to OZ F as I am indifferent as to whether I spend a night in ICN or NRT. Does anyone know which has higher YQ? Both of their F products are pretty high quality so the actual flight experience would be a bit of a toss up.

As well, does anyone know if I could do a connection in BKK > 24hrs as I'm pretty sure that is considered the 'turn' on this itinerary as I only have 2 other stops?

If I am able to switch both, then I could definitely justify the $90 change fee.
Unless NH is flying the Inspiration of Japan layout to ORD, you might have better luck with OZ's new F product (if they're consistently flying it to ORD, which is a bit of a "if" at this point). But if they are, then you would be better off with OZ. I also think their YQ is very slightly lower (but negligibly so).

On the other hand, NRT is a much nicer place to spend the night than ICN.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:47 pm

The way I see it is that you go to MEL (dest) via LAX-SYD on the outbound on UA to save YQ, and return via AKL-NRT-LAX-YYZ, (NZ,SQ,UA/AC) but you pay more YQ on the rt. Or UA all the way to Australia and back, and tag on a paid (or separate reward) rt. to AKL?
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by habshabs444
FRA-ORD - UA F - 777-200
ORD-YYZ - UA J - CR7

Yes, you should be able to make BKK your POT (another stop). That is a nice trip!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.