Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mini RTW Questions

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:25 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Ok, so here is a crazy one. I am still building the RTW for my dad, and he now wants to visit the Canary Islands.

Looks like there are connections from GVA/ZRH/VIE to TFS/LPA. I wonder if I can route something like this?

YUL-IST-PEK, PEK-ZRH-TFS, TFS-VIE-IST-YYZ-YUL or something like that. Basically, can I route into, and out of, Canary Islands, on a mini-RTW? I think that's a bit of a rare one.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Ok, so here is a crazy one. I am still building the RTW for my dad, and he now wants to visit the Canary Islands.

Looks like there are connections from GVA/ZRH/VIE to TFS/LPA. I wonder if I can route something like this?

YUL-IST-PEK, PEK-ZRH-TFS, TFS-VIE-IST-YYZ-YUL or something like that. Basically, can I route into, and out of, Canary Islands, on a mini-RTW? I think that's a bit of a rare one.
I am no expert, but since you are routing over the pacific twice, would TFS not become your turn point, and you would need to find some valid routing TFS-YUL via the pacific?
Old Nov 23, 2012, 2:35 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50K, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum, Accor Diamond
After an hour on the phone with Aeroplan and more than a few possible routings they have approved the following routing: YYC-LAX-ICN-HKG-BKK-MUC-VIE-FRA-ORD-YYC so I thought I was in the clear as I had mapped out an itinerary with assistance from the united flight awards tool.

Unforunately, aeroplan is now showing any OZ flights that are showing on united. The problematic one that I can't find a replacement for is LAX-ICN in F. United is also showing ORD-ICN in OZ F with the new first class suites, but they aren't showing that as available either as I thought my other option would be to start and end in ORD and fly on my own dime back and forth from YYC. Does anyone have any experience with this happening before? Should I wait a bit to see if they show up or give up on OZ completely and go with something else. Unfortunately for the dates that I decided upon for the trip (which could be changed if need be), my only options are UA in J.

The good news is that she is saving this approved routing in my profile so I don't have to go through the song and dance again of having supervisor approval.

As well, would UA F be preferable to NH J?

Last edited by habshabs444; Nov 23, 2012 at 2:49 pm
Old Nov 23, 2012, 3:14 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
>> would UA F be preferable to NH J?

UA F: nice real estate in the air compared to NH J, no YQ, cafeteria food, convenience store grade sake, frail and chatty(only to their passenger colleagues) FA's

NH J: Nice FAs in may ways, nice food and beverages

I would opt for UA F.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by hearna
I am no expert, but since you are routing over the pacific twice, would TFS not become your turn point, and you would need to find some valid routing TFS-YUL via the pacific?
Mmm... I don't think so, as the routing doesn't matter - the "furthest away" point matters, which in this case *should* be PEK (or whatever Asian city I choose). So the logic goes, anyway

Originally Posted by habshabs444

As well, would UA F be preferable to NH J?
Originally Posted by beep88
>> would UA F be preferable to NH J?

UA F: nice real estate in the air compared to NH J, no YQ, cafeteria food, convenience store grade sake, frail and chatty(only to their passenger colleagues) FA's

NH J: Nice FAs in may ways, nice food and beverages

I would opt for UA F.
Decide what you want first: do you want space, or do you want good service and food and "experience"? If you're flying NH, especially on the new "Inspiration of Japan" layout (check www.ana.co.jp for the routes that are served by it) then you will be getting an excellent hard and soft product. With UA, you will get lots of real estate, and horrible soft product, as beep88 says. So it depends on what you value. To be fair, I think a lie-flat bed on NH will be perfectly sufficient to sleep in, and the service will be worlds beyond UA (and better looking, too :P ). As far as my personal preference goes, I would always take an Asian airline's J over North American F - but others will argue different.

Also, it really depends on whether it's the new config 77W or not - if it's the old, non lie-flat J, I wouldn't bother.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 8:24 pm

What is the furthest point when one is going all the way east (or west)?
Old Nov 24, 2012, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by LearningToFly
What is the furthest point when one is going all the way east (or west)?
Do you mean what is the furthest airport one can find on the map that would allow for the longest MPM? If so then BKK (or HKT) or SIN.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 8:43 pm

Do you mean what is the furthest airport one can find on the map that would allow for the longest MPM? If so then BKK (or HKT) or SIN.
Yes, that's my question. Are you saying that going East from YUL all the way, the furthest point (or POT) would be BKK, or that it would be SIN?
Old Nov 24, 2012, 8:52 pm

Yes, that's my question. Are you saying that going East from YUL all the way, the furthest point (or POT) would be BKK, or that it would be SIN?
SIN is furthest. In fact, MPM+5 is:

- SIN: 13,054
- HKT: 12,628
- BKK: 12,124
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:07 am

Programs: dDiamond, A50K*G, AA Gold, Fairmont Plat, AMEX Plat, SPG Gold, Avis First
I've spent a long time looking through the various routings/itineraries and would like some help/suggestions. I am planning a mini-RTW with the wife in J leaving from YYZ and must visit CDG and NRT on the way. I have a few questions that hopefully someone can help with:

1) Is it possible to combine CDG, NRT and RAR? In either direction?
2) If not, anyone have another suggestion of an interesting/exotic beach destination to tack on as a 3rd stop (not in SE Asia)
3) Best way to go from YYZ to CDG (or vice versa) without YQ
4) Suggestions on best J product for these various legs - would like to sample various airlines, prefer lie-flat, and would love a 380 and 787 leg
5) Alternatively, is it possible to combine stops in CDG, NRT, AKL?

Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by Rosens222

1) Is it possible to combine CDG, NRT and RAR? In either direction?
2) If not, anyone have another suggestion of an interesting/exotic beach destination to tack on as a 3rd stop (not in SE Asia)
3) Best way to go from YYZ to CDG (or vice versa) without YQ
4) Suggestions on best J product for these various legs - would like to sample various airlines, prefer lie-flat, and would love a 380 and 787 leg
5) Alternatively, is it possible to combine stops in CDG, NRT, AKL?

Thanks in advance!
1) Very unlikely - if not impossible on an AE award
2) You can probably squeeze in a European destination like LCA for example
3) YYZ-IAD/EWR/ORD/PHL-CDG on UA/US
4) UA/US has flat beds to CDG. LO has flat beds YYZ-WAW 787, There are A380s on TG fron BKK to NRT, but subject to scamcharges.
5) Probably not - its over MPM - however there have been reports of AKL via SIN allowed.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:45 pm

In fact, #1 *is* possible, but you would have to leave out another stop. The following is legitimate:

YUL-LAX-RAR(stop)-AKL(POT)-NRT-ZRH-YUL. You would stop in ZRH and take a local flight to CDG.

Alternatively, if you drop RAR then it becomes a legitimate routing with a stop in AKL, NRT, ZRH.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 5:42 pm

Programs: TK Elite, AC SE
Strategy Questions for mini-RTW

I am planning on booking a mini-RTW for three passengers and am looking for some advice regarding strategies. I appreciate that it is going to be a challenge to get all of the flights, class of service and dates to work out for me.

I have two questions:

1. What are the chances of getting 3 J seats together on a combination of airlines (possibly UA/TG/TK/AC), and how does one best go about maximizing the likelihood of getting all 3 seats? Is it best to book a combination of J and Y seats and watch for J availability to come up, and then try to upgrade?

2. How does one time the booking? If seats are available for booking at 330 days out, can one book the first flight at that time and then book the remaining flights over the next few days/weeks, as the T-330 comes up for each individual flight? Waiting until T-330 for the final flight could leave a lot of time for the other flights to get booked. How have others managed to do this?
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:53 am
bhp

In fact, #1 *is* possible, but you would have to leave out another stop. The following is legitimate:

YUL-LAX-RAR(stop)-AKL(POT)-NRT-ZRH-YUL. You would stop in ZRH and take a local flight to CDG.

Alternatively, if you drop RAR then it becomes a legitimate routing with a stop in AKL, NRT, ZRH.
Your suggestion from YUL to South Pacific to Europe, would this work from YVR?

Basically, looking to book YVR - AKL or SYD - CDG or LHR - YVR. If this exceeds MPM, I can do an open jaw ending at JFK and use my BA Avios to fly direct from JFK-YVR on the way back home. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated!!
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:28 pm

SIN is furthest. In fact, MPM+5 is:

- SIN: 13,054
- HKT: 12,628
- BKK: 12,124
Wouldn't it be Perth?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.