Mini RTW Questions

Old Nov 21, 2012, 6:34 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Its because of Canadian passport.

Because AC cronies lobbied the feds to block EK effectively subsidizing AC, the govt of the UAE instituted a visa fee as a response.

You pay much less if you fly in on EK/EY, but any other airline, you gotta pony up.

I suggest MCT as a great alternative for a stopover
Aye, that's what I thought. Yeah - I'm still unhappy with what happened with that whole EL fiasco... oh well. I have a backup passport I can use... But MCT suggestion noted, thanks! Need to book onwards travel to TRV so a bit limited in airline choices (and GOD it's a nightmare booking reward travel with KU.... Should never have flown them, probably going to throw away the points out of frustration).
Old Nov 21, 2012, 9:10 am
formerly mattking2000

Programs: BA|AC|AZ|SPG|H|FPC
Hello! I've been following flyertalk for almost half a year (ironically, days after the SQ Suites closed), and I've finally decided to join. I'm also quite thrilled to be in the company of people who won't think I'm certifiably insane for wanting to consider this kind of flying!

I am trying to plan out a rtw trip (not exactly rtw, since I do not plan on crossing the pacific), and based on a lot of reading in this forum (and some conflicting info), I've come up with a pseudo-itinerary. Can someone help confirm/deny the issues with it? If anyone is wondering about the choice of cities, it's because I have friends in all of them and it's quite expensive to visit them all individually.

yyz-iad
iad-fra
fra-prg (stopover)
prg-muc
muc-nrt
nrt-pek
pek-hkg
hkg-sin (destination)
sin-bkk
bkk-lhr (stopover)
lhr-zrh
zrh-yul
yul-yyz

I've checked and the total miles is 26208 according to great circle mapper, and the MPM for YYZ-SIN I have been told is 12786, so 12786 x 2 x 1,05 = 26850, so I should be OK on that front.

Issues/questions:
1. Is prg-muc-nrt considered backtracking? I see this as a routing on the star alliance website, does this mean it is a valid routing?
2. Is nrt-pek-hkg-sin considered backtracking, since I am still technically traveling east to Singapore? I have checked the MUC-HKG does show NRT as a possible routing, and NRT-HKG shows PEK as a routing, but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to search it like that.
3. There are 10 layovers here and 3 stops -- I have read that only 10 total stops (including layovers) are allowed, and also 10 + 3, and also 16 total. Can this be cleared up?
4. Is lhr-zrh-yul considered backtracking? I was looking for a way to try longhaul LX J on zrh-yul.
5. If I'm rejected by one aeroplan agent, is this one of those cases where I should keep calling back until I get someone who will get this booked for me, or is there something that's quite clearly against the rules?
6. Are there other issues I haven't considered/am not aware of?

Many thanks! =)

Last edited by BA Humbug; Nov 21, 2012 at 9:18 am
Old Nov 21, 2012, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by mattking2000
Hello! I've been following flyertalk for almost half a year (ironically, days after the SQ Suites closed), and I've finally decided to join. I'm also quite thrilled to be in the company of people who won't think I'm certifiably insane for wanting to consider this kind of flying!

I am trying to plan out a rtw trip (not exactly rtw, since I do not plan on crossing the pacific), and based on a lot of reading in this forum (and some conflicting info), I've come up with a pseudo-itinerary. Can someone help confirm/deny the issues with it? If anyone is wondering about the choice of cities, it's because I have friends in all of them and it's quite expensive to visit them all individually.

yyz-iad
iad-fra
fra-prg (stopover)
prg-muc
muc-nrt
nrt-pek
pek-hkg
hkg-sin (destination)
sin-bkk
bkk-lhr (stopover)
lhr-zrh
zrh-yul
yul-yyz

I've checked and the total miles is 26208 according to great circle mapper, and the MPM for YYZ-SIN I have been told is 12786, so 12786 x 2 x 1,05 = 26850, so I should be OK on that front.

Issues/questions:
1. Is prg-muc-nrt considered backtracking? I see this as a routing on the star alliance website, does this mean it is a valid routing?
2. Is nrt-pek-hkg-sin considered backtracking, since I am still technically traveling east to Singapore? I have checked the MUC-HKG does show NRT as a possible routing, and NRT-HKG shows PEK as a routing, but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to search it like that.
3. There are 10 layovers here and 3 stops -- I have read that only 10 total stops (including layovers) are allowed, and also 10 + 3, and also 16 total. Can this be cleared up?
4. Is lhr-zrh-yul considered backtracking? I was looking for a way to try longhaul LX J on zrh-yul.
5. If I'm rejected by one aeroplan agent, is this one of those cases where I should keep calling back until I get someone who will get this booked for me, or is there something that's quite clearly against the rules?

Many thanks! =)
To many connections/stops.
I guess that clears the rest of the questions.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 9:47 am

Programs: Altitude 25k

yyz-iad
iad-fra
fra-prg (stopover)
prg-muc
muc-nrt
nrt-pek
pek-hkg
hkg-sin (destination)
sin-bkk
bkk-lhr (stopover)
lhr-zrh
zrh-yul
yul-yyz

Issues/questions:

Many thanks! =)
Like he mentioned. too many connections. you are only allowed to have 10 connections max. (including your stopovers/destination)
Old Nov 21, 2012, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Aye, that's what I thought. Yeah - I'm still unhappy with what happened with that whole EL fiasco... oh well. I have a backup passport I can use... But MCT suggestion noted, thanks! Need to book onwards travel to TRV so a bit limited in airline choices (and GOD it's a nightmare booking reward travel with KU.... Should never have flown them, probably going to throw away the points out of frustration).
Did you check Air Arabia or Oman Air? I guess TRV is not exactly a Star Alliance mini-rtw hub
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:39 am

yyz-iad
iad-fra
fra-prg (stopover)
prg-muc
muc-nrt
nrt-pek
pek-hkg
hkg-sin (destination)
sin-bkk
bkk-lhr (stopover)
lhr-zrh
zrh-yul
yul-yyz

Issues/questions:

Many thanks! =)
Welcome to FT. Contrary to some of the posts above, I do not think the max limit is 10 - someone posted earlier that the limit has been raised slightly. I am not saying it based on the fact that I just booked an 11- or a 12-segment itinerary for someone - I'm just ... sayin'. You might still have too many segments - but you may not need to cut it by as many as is being suggested. You may need to do something like SIN-ZRH and then take a local flight to LHR (suggestion: FlyBaboo, the Swiss LCC is cheap and feeds you well). I know you'd be skipping BKK, but unless you are stopping there AND flying F, it probably isn't worth transiting through there. Also, this would bring your segments down to a controllable level. If you DO decide to stop in LHR, your stop there will cost you APD, as it will be calculated on the distance between LHR-YOW. Just a FYI.

Your MPM may be more of an issue. First of all, MPM is calculated PER DIRECTION. So it is not correct to do 26K miles divided by two. Make sure that EACH direction falls under MPM5 - you cannot carry over miles from one to the other.

Finally, I think PRG should be allowed. Just basing this on what I did: YUL-ZRH-BLQ, stop, BLQ-IST-NRT etc.

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Did you check Air Arabia or Oman Air? I guess TRV is not exactly a Star Alliance mini-rtw hub
Nope, I checked some of the cheapie Indian airlines, but I'll check those too. Using my site to figure out which airlines fly into TRV and checking fares one by one, hehe.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:11 pm
formerly mattking2000

Programs: BA|AC|AZ|SPG|H|FPC
Originally Posted by getaround
To many connections/stops.
I guess that clears the rest of the questions.
Originally Posted by yuubah
Like he mentioned. too many connections. you are only allowed to have 10 connections max. (including your stopovers/destination)
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Welcome to FT. Contrary to some of the posts above, I do not think the max limit is 10 - someone posted earlier that the limit has been raised slightly. I am not saying it based on the fact that I just booked an 11- or a 12-segment itinerary for someone - I'm just ... sayin'. You might still have too many segments - but you may not need to cut it by as many as is being suggested. You may need to do something like SIN-ZRH and then take a local flight to LHR (suggestion: FlyBaboo, the Swiss LCC is cheap and feeds you well). I know you'd be skipping BKK, but unless you are stopping there AND flying F, it probably isn't worth transiting through there. Also, this would bring your segments down to a controllable level. If you DO decide to stop in LHR, your stop there will cost you APD, as it will be calculated on the distance between LHR-YOW. Just a FYI.

Your MPM may be more of an issue. First of all, MPM is calculated PER DIRECTION. So it is not correct to do 26K miles divided by two. Make sure that EACH direction falls under MPM5 - you cannot carry over miles from one to the other.

Finally, I think PRG should be allowed. Just basing this on what I did: YUL-ZRH-BLQ, stop, BLQ-IST-NRT etc.

Nope, I checked some of the cheapie Indian airlines, but I'll check those too. Using my site to figure out which airlines fly into TRV and checking fares one by one, hehe.
Thanks for all your replies! I'll take a look at my itinerary again and see where I can cut out some of the frien...fat, and hopefully find flights to fit my itinerary!
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:16 pm

Thanks for all your replies! I'll take a look at my itinerary again and see where I can cut out some of the frien...fat, and hopefully find flights to fit my itinerary!
Best advice is to stop in a location that has easy low-cost-carrier (LCC) availability and do local travel using them. Intra-Europe tends to work VERY well for that.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 8:40 pm

Programs: Aadvantage ExPlt, SPG Platinum 100, Alaska 75K
Is this possible?

Before I call and book, I thought I would see if you guys thought this was a possible itinerary:

SFO to CAI
CAI to CAN
CSX to PEK (I would take the train from CAN to CSX)
PEK to KIX
KIX to SFO

If I am at too many stops, I would fly from PEK to SFO and forget about the stopover in KIX

Thanks for all of your help
Old Nov 21, 2012, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by lovenola
Before I call and book, I thought I would see if you guys thought this was a possible itinerary:

SFO to CAI
CAI to CAN
CSX to PEK (I would take the train from CAN to CSX)
PEK to KIX
KIX to SFO

If I am at too many stops, I would fly from PEK to SFO and forget about the stopover in KIX

Thanks for all of your help
This depends on what your destination is. If it's CAN then your open jaw should be allowed. But if it's PEK, then you can't have an OJ along the way. But I think you don't care as none of these routings would push the MPM so you should be reasonably fine.

But now that I think about it, not sure whether SFO-CAI-PEK is allowed as a TATL routing. Worth checking the MPM on that.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 9:12 pm

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what is TATL? MPM is maximum permitted mileage, right? How would I go about determining the mileage, would I look up the air miles of each flight and then add them up? What would be the best way to do this?
Old Nov 21, 2012, 9:31 pm

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what is TATL? MPM is maximum permitted mileage, right? How would I go about determining the mileage, would I look up the air miles of each flight and then add them up? What would be the best way to do this?
Sorry hehe. I've been working all day and only half a brain is on.

TATL = Trans-Atlantic [routing] - some routes may not allow for certain routes once it gets a little bit ridiculous as far as length. I *think* SFO-PEK should be allowed over the Atlantic, but someone may post otherwise.

MPM can only be determined by asking nicely in the thread, checking KVS or ExpertFlyer - OR searching the Web for "mpm sfo-pek" or something, as sometimes people have asked already and it's somewhere out there. Sadly, MPM isn't something you can calculate yourself as it's a little bit arbitrary.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 9:56 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. When I use the AP website, It does allow a multi city itn of SFO - CAI (via Europe), CAI - PEK, PEK- SFO (via kix), but when I try to change it to SFO-CAI, CAI - CAN, PEK - SFO, it says it's an invalid itn. I do have KVS, I'll have to learn how to use it better. Would it be easiest just to call AP and give them my original itn, and if they can't do it, then just book the easier one online and save the fees (and forget about the extra stopover)?
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:12 pm

yyz-iad
iad-fra
fra-prg (stopover)
prg-muc
muc-nrt
nrt-pek
pek-hkg
hkg-sin (destination)
sin-bkk
bkk-lhr (stopover)
lhr-zrh
zrh-yul
yul-yyz

Issues/questions:

Many thanks! =)
I think you need to check MPM to/from SIN. I'd get rid of PEK or BKK to make it easier. You can also stop in MUC instead and catch a cheap flight to/from PRG if they won't allow it, but it seems ok. Same goes for LHR - try to catch a cheap flight from elsewhere ie: ZRH or CDG or AMS to avoid APD. A nice itinerary. Please keep us informed if you are able to book it etc.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:16 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. When I use the AP website, It does allow a multi city itn of SFO - CAI (via Europe), CAI - PEK, PEK- SFO (via kix), but when I try to change it to SFO-CAI, CAI - CAN, PEK - SFO, it says it's an invalid itn. I do have KVS, I'll have to learn how to use it better. Would it be easiest just to call AP and give them my original itn, and if they can't do it, then just book the easier one online and save the fees (and forget about the extra stopover)?
AC IT is stupid and cannot deal with an OJ. Call a human if you want to do that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.