Mini RTW Questions

Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Wait, I hope that $1,322 is not per person, right?
It was just 1 Aeroplan ticket for my friend, so yes, per person. I manually added up taxes and got more than $1322, so the total seems fine. Each NH segment has about $300 YQ, as does the NRT - AKL segment. Then the AC YQs and so on.

My ticket on US/UA miles was just about $250 total, with the NRT - YYC - YYZ segments instead of the NRT - ORD - YYZ coming home (still bitter they could not see it though! You suck, US!)
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:17 pm

Yep that would work.

Doesn't NRT-SEA feature the 787? That's a worthwhile investment of a scamcharge
On NH yes! That WOULD be worth it for me for sure (but then I'm a plane geek!) UA out of NRT can be some of few unconverted remaining old 772s but would be cheap. CA to YVR is A332/A333.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:18 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by mabramovich
It was just 1 Aeroplan ticket for my friend, so yes, per person. I manually added up taxes and got more than $1322, so the total seems fine. Each NH segment has about $300 YQ, as does the NRT - AKL segment. Then the AC YQs and so on.

My ticket on US/UA miles was just about $250 total, with the NRT - YYC - YYZ segments instead of the NRT - ORD - YYZ coming home (still bitter they could not see it though! You suck, US!)
Jesus omg that's absolutely obnoxious, abhorrent and reprehensible.

In light of that, your comment re: US sucking seems oddly inappropriate
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by sp4294
On NH yes! That WOULD be worth it for me for sure (but then I'm a plane geek!) UA out of NRT can be some of few unconverted remaining old 772s but would be cheap. CA to YVR is A332/A333.
Despite what I just posted in reply to mabramovich, YQ isn't necessarily ALL bad (it's just bad when it's revoltingly huge as in his case) - if you're paying $300 to be on a 787, that might just be worthwhile.

UA's unconverted 777s are awful. I would almost take a boat. Definitely take the 787 if possible. I haven't flown CA, but I understand it's a bit of a crapshoot, so not sure whether that's worth the free flight either.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:21 pm

Jesus omg that's absolutely obnoxious, abhorrent and reprehensible.

In light of that, your comment re: US sucking seems oddly inappropriate
I don't know, most of those miles are funded off of Amex Golds and SPGs. My friend only paid $120 for the Aerogold, so it's like a $1500 ticket in J to three destinations, when a straight-up YYZ - SYD is like $2000 in Y. Yes, it's still money, but it's hard to be that upset about the YQ.

In your experience, do you think that routing should have been legal (ignoring the illegal stop in NRT)?
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:24 pm

Well who knows if it's valid or if my second agent didn't know the rules.

Itinerary is:

YYZ - SEA (AC Y)
SEA - NRT (NH J 788)
NRT - AKL (NZ J and stop) -- on the 777-200, which looks like it still has the 'old' BusinessPremier, but I hope it should be fine. I misread my little table that I had made and gave the date wrong so the stop in NRT is 26 hours, and the NRT - AKL flight has a 90 min ground stop in Osaka. We actually prefer having an overnight on the ground instead of a 2 hour connection for other 10 hour flight, so in the end I am pleased with this!
AKL - MEL (NZ J and stop)
MEL - BKK (TG J) -- 777 which I think has old seats?
BKK - NRT (TG J 388 and stop)
NRT - ORD (NH J)
ORD - YYZ (AC Y)

$1322 all-in charges

I tried to book the same thing on US/UA miles, with the NRT - AKL - MEL - BKK - NRT on UA and the YYZ - NRT on US, but US could not see NRT - ORD on NH, so I grabbed NRT - YYC - YYZ for myself on AC. There's a 5.5 hour connection in YYC, but I'm hoping I can same-day standby since it's a J ticket or same-day change in YYC for $75. I actually don't mind flying AC J -- never done it longhaul and usually expensive to do on Aeroplan miles.

We actually wanted to OJ and fly CHC - MEL but the first agent said it's only 1 OJ or 2 stopovers, so we changed to AKL - MEL. I didn't ask the second agent about the OJ and just gave her the AKL - MEL.

I know this may be heretical to some here, but I think you did very well. Even though the NZ J and TG J are old, NH J to ORD and the TG J on the new A388 and the NH J on B788 would be the deciding factor here. Absolutely, worth it to me for that kind of money.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:27 pm

I know this may be heretical to some here, but I think you did very well. Even though the NZ J and TG J are old, NH J to ORD and the TG J on the new A388 and the NH J on B788 would be the deciding factor here. Absolutely, worth it to me for that kind of money.
The NZ website is not completely clear, but it still looks like lie-flats in the old NZ J, which, to my understanding, are like AC J pods. It should be fine.

And thanks! I was happy with it, and my friend thought it would be more than $1300, so everybody wins. Now I only hope our schedules align as we expect they should so we can actually go!
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:27 pm

Despite what I just posted in reply to mabramovich, YQ isn't necessarily ALL bad (it's just bad when it's revoltingly huge as in his case) - if you're paying $300 to be on a 787, that might just be worthwhile.

UA's unconverted 777s are awful. I would almost take a boat. Definitely take the 787 if possible. I haven't flown CA, but I understand it's a bit of a crapshoot, so not sure whether that's worth the free flight either.
I agree. We need to realize that it is more of discounted J these days. Sometimes it is worth it for me to pay more, especially for a new experience or to keep my SO happy with bubbly

CA to PEK - YVR is old J. To LAX is with the new B773 with new F, which is supposed to be right up there now.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:30 pm

The NZ website is not completely clear, but it still looks like lie-flats in the old NZ J, which, to my understanding, are like AC J pods. It should be fine.

And thanks! I was happy with it, and my friend thought it would be more than $1300, so everybody wins. Now I only hope our schedules align as we expect they should so we can actually go!
Hope it works out. Enjoy! I'm very envious!(I think sometimes we forget how many flights in J we're getting for those prices!)

Last edited by sp4294; Jan 2, 2013 at 10:36 pm
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:38 pm

I don't know, most of those miles are funded off of Amex Golds and SPGs. My friend only paid $120 for the Aerogold, so it's like a $1500 ticket in J to three destinations, when a straight-up YYZ - SYD is like $2000 in Y. Yes, it's still money, but it's hard to be that upset about the YQ.

In your experience, do you think that routing should have been legal (ignoring the illegal stop in NRT)?
I'm trying to find the published routings, but I am not seeing anything with BKK in them. For NRT, only SQ has a published routing - but not the way you are flying (it's MEL-SIN-NRT-LAX-YYZ). The MPM+5 is around 12,500 (I forget the exact number) and you are far, far, far, far over that. So I am really confused how you were allowed this! Be careful if ever requesting changes - if they determine the routing is illegal, they will likely deny you changes (i.e. fly as is, or change and fix).

I do agree. It's a ton of cash compared to "how it used to be", but it's a great trip regardless, so hardly any room to complain
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:44 pm

Just watch out, Air NZ has been changing their equipment frequently in Asia..... between 763 and 777s...... Their 763s feature old regional J seats.

Didnt know AKL-NRT-North America is allowed as published routing.... ANA doesnt offer published routing between North America to Australia/New Zealand; while NZ only offers routes via mid pacific (Haiwaii, Pacific Islands or direct to North America)..... I thought people that got it was lucked out.

I understand, ICN (OZ) and SIN (SQ) are the only published routing intermediate points to Australia and New Zealand.
MEL-SIN-NRT-LAX-YYZ should be fine, because its considered MEL-SIN followed by SIN-NRT-LAX (SQ11/12) and then AC to Toronto. This routing is no different than YYZ-JFK-FRA-SIN-MEL

Well who knows if it's valid or if my second agent didn't know the rules.

Itinerary is:

YYZ - SEA (AC Y)
SEA - NRT (NH J 788)
NRT - AKL (NZ J and stop) -- on the 777-200, which looks like it still has the 'old' BusinessPremier, but I hope it should be fine. I misread my little table that I had made and gave the date wrong so the stop in NRT is 26 hours, and the NRT - AKL flight has a 90 min ground stop in Osaka. We actually prefer having an overnight on the ground instead of a 2 hour connection for other 10 hour flight, so in the end I am pleased with this!
AKL - MEL (NZ J and stop)
MEL - BKK (TG J) -- 777 which I think has old seats?
BKK - NRT (TG J 388 and stop)
NRT - ORD (NH J)
ORD - YYZ (AC Y)

$1322 all-in charges

I tried to book the same thing on US/UA miles, with the NRT - AKL - MEL - BKK - NRT on UA and the YYZ - NRT on US, but US could not see NRT - ORD on NH, so I grabbed NRT - YYC - YYZ for myself on AC. There's a 5.5 hour connection in YYC, but I'm hoping I can same-day standby since it's a J ticket or same-day change in YYC for $75. I actually don't mind flying AC J -- never done it longhaul and usually expensive to do on Aeroplan miles.

We actually wanted to OJ and fly CHC - MEL but the first agent said it's only 1 OJ or 2 stopovers, so we changed to AKL - MEL. I didn't ask the second agent about the OJ and just gave her the AKL - MEL.

Last edited by global happy traveller; Jan 2, 2013 at 10:53 pm
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
Just watch out, Air NZ has been changing their equiptment frequently in Asia..... between 763 and 777s...... Their 763s feature old regional J seats.

Didnt know AKL-NRT-North America is allowed as published routing....I thought it was only people lucked out.

I understand, ICN (OZ) and SIN (SQ) are the only published routing intermediate points to Australia and New Zealand.
MEL-SIN-NRT-LAX-YYZ should be fine, because its considered MEL-SIN followed by SIN-NRT-LAX (SQ11/12) and then AC to Toronto
Anyone an EF expert here? How would I look up these routings on there? Simply looking up fares on MEL-YTO doesn't even show SQ/OZ as published carriers.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:54 pm

Anyone an EF expert here? How would I look up these routings on there? Simply looking up fares on MEL-YTO doesn't even show SQ/OZ as published carriers.
ranko? MG?
Old Jan 2, 2013, 11:33 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I'm trying to find the published routings, but I am not seeing anything with BKK in them. For NRT, only SQ has a published routing - but not the way you are flying (it's MEL-SIN-NRT-LAX-YYZ). The MPM+5 is around 12,500 (I forget the exact number) and you are far, far, far, far over that. So I am really confused how you were allowed this! Be careful if ever requesting changes - if they determine the routing is illegal, they will likely deny you changes (i.e. fly as is, or change and fix).
It's interesting that there is supposed to be no transit for NRT.

In the One World Reward area (and I know that is the opposing program) they frequently show Cathay Reward availability YVR-HKG-MEL. It's a bit shocking that only ICN and SIN are supposedly the only two available.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 4:05 am

Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
It's interesting that there is supposed to be no transit for NRT.

In the One World Reward area (and I know that is the opposing program) they frequently show Cathay Reward availability YVR-HKG-MEL. It's a bit shocking that only ICN and SIN are supposedly the only two available.
Nothing shocking about it. These airlines are hungry for business and are willing to publish routings beyond mpm via their hub with hopes to divert some traffic.

I believe Qatar n emirates have similar strategies too.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.