Mini RTW Questions

Old Jan 3, 2013, 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Unless NH is flying the Inspiration of Japan layout to ORD, you might have better luck with OZ's new F product (if they're consistently flying it to ORD, which is a bit of a "if" at this point). But if they are, then you would be better off with OZ. I also think their YQ is very slightly lower (but negligibly so).

On the other hand, NRT is a much nicer place to spend the night than ICN.
Yes, NH is flying Inspiration of Japan on ORD-NRT and is also adding a second flight.

http://www.ana.co.jp/wws/us/e/local/...e/chicago.html
Old Jan 3, 2013, 11:10 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Nice! Then I'd stay on NH.

Touch-screens for ordering drinks are awesome. Don't even need to talk to humans!
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:47 am

Nice! Then I'd stay on NH.

Touch-screens for ordering drinks are awesome. Don't even need to talk to humans!
But, but...they have very NICE humans...
Old Jan 4, 2013, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by sp4294
oxymoron!!! it's true though, it being an Asian airline.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 8:51 am

The way I see it is that you go to MEL (dest) via LAX-SYD on the outbound on UA to save YQ, and return via AKL-NRT-LAX-YYZ, (NZ,SQ,UA/AC) but you pay more YQ on the rt. Or UA all the way to Australia and back, and tag on a paid (or separate reward) rt. to AKL?
Thank you all for your advice, will the savings on YQ from going there on UA be more or less then the YQ to take get the return on NZ,SQ, UA/AC via AKL-NRT (STOP)-LAX-YYZ?

If I did UA all the way to Australia and back, how would I get the stop in NRT and return to YYZ without getting hit on YQ? Would this be basically
YYZ-LAX-SYD-MEL (Destination)
buy a ticket to AKL (return)
MEL-SIN or BKK- NRT-YYZ (i don't see any UA flights, only TG or SQ)

Any idea of what to expect with the YQ for MEL- YYZ via SIN or BKK, Stop in NRT to ORD to YYZ?

Do you think on the return, I could go MEL-PVG (CA) (perhaps a less then 24 hr stop here?- PVG- NRT (Stop) (CA)- will this be valid as it looks like I am passing NRT and coming back for the stop? If this is valid, I am a bit surprised as this routing would be way off returning to YYZ, does that matter? or can I set up any route by breaking the flights into pieces and then hoepfully it doesn't break any of the rules ?
Old Jan 4, 2013, 8:55 am

mabramovich had a very good point earlier. Assuming you're flying a premium cabin (J/F), don't build your itinerary EXCLUSIVELY based on avoiding YQ - do consider the in-flight experience. For instance, flying a 388 on TG is well worth the YQ over a flight on UA.

If I were you, I'd try to maximise the number of "good" airlines you fly (i.e. NH, NZ on the 77W if you can find space, etc) just to compare different products and check out different cities. Unless you take these trips every month or two, whether you pay $400 of YQ or $1,000 is pretty immaterial, I'd say (although it certainly makes for good conversations in this thread ).
Old Jan 4, 2013, 2:34 pm

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
mabramovich had a very good point earlier. Assuming you're flying a premium cabin (J/F), don't build your itinerary EXCLUSIVELY based on avoiding YQ - do consider the in-flight experience. For instance, flying a 388 on TG is well worth the YQ over a flight on UA.

If I were you, I'd try to maximise the number of "good" airlines you fly (i.e. NH, NZ on the 77W if you can find space, etc) just to compare different products and check out different cities. Unless you take these trips every month or two, whether you pay $400 of YQ or $1,000 is pretty immaterial, I'd say (although it certainly makes for good conversations in this thread ).
Excellent point. Saving a few hundred dollars to avoid fuel surcharge and flying on crappier airlines may make the whole experience less enjoyable. sort of like traveling in first class and then staying at a roadside motel.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 3:47 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K; Marriott Titanium; NEXUS
And nice Krug if memory serves...
Old Jan 4, 2013, 9:16 pm

All good points, but OP is looking for Y seats.

[quote] "... I am trying to plan a trip on economy for 2, I was thinking this routing would work for April travel, but from what I am reading it isn't possible.... "[quote]
Old Jan 4, 2013, 9:18 pm

Whoops.

Yeah if it's in Y then it makes little difference from one airline to another... then YQ becomes a real issue as if you get slapped with $1,400 of YQ, you're almost better off just outright buying the ticket, otherwise your 75,000 - 80,000 points have very little actual dollar value
Old Jan 4, 2013, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by coconutjay
Thank you all for your advice, will the savings on YQ from going there on UA be more or less then the YQ to take get the return on NZ,SQ, UA/AC via AKL-NRT (STOP)-LAX-YYZ?

If I did UA all the way to Australia and back, how would I get the stop in NRT and return to YYZ without getting hit on YQ? Would this be basically
YYZ-LAX-SYD-MEL (Destination)
buy a ticket to AKL (return)
MEL-SIN or BKK- NRT-YYZ (i don't see any UA flights, only TG or SQ)

Any idea of what to expect with the YQ for MEL- YYZ via SIN or BKK, Stop in NRT to ORD to YYZ?

Do you think on the return, I could go MEL-PVG (CA) (perhaps a less then 24 hr stop here?- PVG- NRT (Stop) (CA)- will this be valid as it looks like I am passing NRT and coming back for the stop? If this is valid, I am a bit surprised as this routing would be way off returning to YYZ, does that matter? or can I set up any route by breaking the flights into pieces and then hoepfully it doesn't break any of the rules ?
Time to call AE and find out! It depends on who you fly with. TG YQ would be less I think. CA even better. NH, OZ more, AC most. We need rankourabu to chime in...
Old Jan 4, 2013, 9:25 pm

Time to call AE and find out! depends on who you fly with. TG YQ would be less I think. CA even better. NH, OZ more, AC most. We need rankourabu to chime in...
Do not guess.

Go to ITA Matrix, search for the exact segment you're looking for, click Fare Details and you will have the exact YQ.

Alternatively, you can search it on Aeroplan, but that's MUCH slower.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 9:28 pm

Whoops.

Yeah if it's in Y then it makes little difference from one airline to another... then YQ becomes a real issue as if you get slapped with $1,400 of YQ, you're almost better off just outright buying the ticket, otherwise your 75,000 - 80,000 points have very little actual dollar value
I think this is the most important question OP needs an answer to. It really is a slim margin on Y if you can find some seat sales and given that you'd earn qualifying miles for an outright purchase, but a redemption may still be reasonable given the number of flights OP wants...
Old Jan 4, 2013, 9:30 pm

I think this is the most important question OP needs an answer to. It really is a slim margin on Y if you can find some seat sales and given that you'd earn qualifying miles for an outright purchase, but a redemption may still be reasonable given the number of flights OP wants...
i think Air NZ u can get seats for $1300 ish?!
Old Jan 4, 2013, 9:31 pm

Go to ITA Matrix, search for the exact segment you're looking for, click Fare Details and you will have the exact YQ.
Best idea yet!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.