Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2014, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Update: As of 22 Dec 2014, Trial Preferred is no longer accepting new enrollments. If you're currently enrolled in Trial Preferred, you'll continue to receive Preferred benefits and accrue toward status through the remainder of your Trial period. Your 2015 Preferred status earned through Trial will transfer to AAdvantage once we combine the programs in the second quarter of 2015.

========================================
Try Preferred status on for size <Link>

Are you new to Dividend Miles? Enjoy the benefits of Preferred status now through the Trial Preferred program. Get priority check-in and boarding, unlimited upgrades to First Class and more during your 90-day trial period.

Here's how to get Preferred status

Choose and purchase your level of Preferred status, then fly with US. It's that easy to get all the benefits of Preferred status.

Learn more about Preferred

Upgrade to Preferred

Preferred status / cost Silver – $200 Gold – $400 Platinum – $600

Then, over the next 90 days, fly a minimum number of miles on flights operated by US Airways or American Airlines to keep your Preferred status through February 29, 2016. If your trial began on or before June 30, 2014, you'll maintain your Preferred status through February 28, 2015.

• Silver: Fly 7,500 miles or 10 segments
  • Gold: Fly 15,000 miles or 20 segments
  • Platinum: Fly 22,500 miles or 30 segments
  • Chairman's: Fly 30,000 miles or 40 segments

The Trial Preferred program is the quickest way to get to Preferred status. Just enroll online to try Preferred on for size today.

Enroll in Tral Preferred

Terms & Conditions

This program is available only to non-Preferred members. Dividend Miles members must fly a minimum number of miles or segments to keep Preferred status for the remainder of the program year. Bonus miles earned based on class of service do not count toward Preferred status. Members may enroll in the Trial Preferred program only once in any consecutive 12-month period. Members who did not requalify for Preferred status for the current year are not eligible to participate in the Trial Preferred program. Only elite-qualifying miles earned on flights operated by US Airways, US Airways Express, American Airlines and American Eagle can be applied toward the Trial Preferred program. The program participation fee is non-refundable. Federal excise tax of 7.5% will be added to the purchase price. Only bookings made after the member's status has been upgraded reflect his or her new status. Preferred status earned through the Trial Preferred program is only valid in the Dividend Miles program through February 29, 2016 for members who purchased Trial Preferred after June 30, 2014. Members who purchased Trial Preferred on or before June 30, 2014 will retain their earned Preferred status through February 28, 2015. Associated First Class upgrade benefits are based on availability and only available on US Airways and US Airways Express-operated flights.

Wiki updated 7 Dec 2014
Print Wikipost

Trial Preferred Status (merged) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2011, 8:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by Iam Jetlagged
Hi, Newbie here. Good link - this is new to me, thanks.

Question 1: Does United offer something similar? I am 1K 2011 but only at @ 40,000 for next year ... goal = achieve 1K for 2012 and those 6 system wide upgrades! (or do those now come at 125K?

Question 2: Is there a link or a specific forum for maximizing miles using multi-city tickets? I do a lot of Germany (@ FRA/MUC) to DEN.

Thanks in advance!
UA does not. If you wish to retain 1K, fly more or buy miles with Continental's Elite Maximizer (currently at 7.5 cents per EQM, but I hear it rises substantially near the end of the year)
Old Aug 25, 2011, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
If you are already 1K with United why would UA want to give you a challenge to gain 1K again? Now if u are looking for *G status then do the US program. But UA wont give you 1K challange.

IF you read the UA forum as well as Mile Run Discussion all of your questions will be answered.

Originally Posted by Iam Jetlagged
Hi, Newbie here. Good link - this is new to me, thanks.

Question 1: Does United offer something similar? I am 1K 2011 but only at @ 40,000 for next year ... goal = achieve 1K for 2012 and those 6 system wide upgrades! (or do those now come at 125K?

Question 2: Is there a link or a specific forum for maximizing miles using multi-city tickets? I do a lot of Germany (@ FRA/MUC) to DEN.

Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 1, 2011, 7:24 am

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
Newbie Questions about US and Trial Preferred

I'm a Delta Plat but am considering switching over to US for a couple reasons. First, I like some of the Star Alliance partners for award redemption. And second, I like the possibility that you can upgrade flights to Europe as Chairmans.

So, I have a couple questions about those two things and a couple additional questions:

(1) Is booking award trips on Star Alliance partners (in particular, first/business on Singapore and Lufthansa) difficult? With Delta, booking a business class award can be near impossible. Is this also the case using US Dividend Miles to book first/business on Singapore or Lufthansa?

(2) Can you, in fact, get complimentary upgrades to Europe from any fare class as a Chairmans? Is this easy, or are there so many restrictions that the perk doesn't really make sense?

(3) How are domestic upgrades on US? As a platinum Delta, I would estimate my upgrade percentage domestically at around 90% or higher when flying DL from even the lowest fare class. How does this compare with Platinum at US or Chairmans at US?

(4) Finally, two questions about US Trial Preferred.

FIRST, if I sign up for the most basic Silver trial, but complete 30,000 miles in the 90 days... does that then qualify me as Chairmans? Or do I need to sign up for the Platinum trial and then complete the 30,000 miles?

And SECOND, if I sign up for a trial and successfully complete it so that I achieve Platinum (by flying 22,500 miles)... do I then only need 25,000 miles over the remainder of the year to reach Chairmans? Or am I just a Platinum with 22,500 miles (and 77,500 miles to go before Chairmans)?

Thanks for all your help.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 8:38 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat+++
Here is the master thread for trial preferred:

(4) part 1: Yes, you will get Chairmans.

(4) part 2: You are just a Platinum with 22,500 miles (and 77,500 miles to go before Chairmans) ?

1,2,3 someone else can chime in who is actually Chairmans...

Last edited by aztimm; Sep 1, 2011 at 12:10 pm Reason: merged thread cleanup
Old Sep 1, 2011, 8:51 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
2 - regarding upgrades to Europe, it often comes down to the wire, but I have never been unsuccessful in getting the upgrade. I think you can get this from any fare class. Note that you only get one RT (actually two one-way) upgrades for you and a companion. You can do an open jaw. But you cannot use two for yourself (as opposed to having a companion). In other words, if you fly alone, you lose the companion certificate. BTW, my wife and I are both CP which gives us 2 RTs to Europe for both of us.

3 - I am 90%-95% on upgrades. The tough ones are cross-country and LAS - at least for me.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 10:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
1) in general, you can get what you want but it has to be done by phone and may require some flexibility and persistence. F on LH and particularly SQ can be hard if not impossible because those just never release much inventory to begin with, and it is in demand. There's a whole massive thread on here on booking Star awards that you should take a gander at. While it requires work, for the most part people are ultimately successful, including myself. I've traveled extensively to Asia on Star business class awards, and to Europe on both Star and US business ("Envoy Class") awards. I doubt I'd do better in another alliance.

3) As a chairman's I am 100% on upgrades this calendar year. Usually when I don't get them, first is already sold out (which it generally isnt when I book most travel, 4-8 days out) or it's due to a rebooking from irregular ops in which case my status may be the only reason I have any seat. As noted above, transcons on routes like PHL/CLT-PHX LAS LAX SFO can be harder during peak times as there is more paid F on them but I've been doing well of late, and I've been going into LAX a lot recently.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 11:14 am

1) Haven't tried it. One thing I have done is flown other *A airlines with paid coach tickets. No benefits at all except early boarding and the miles go to US and get doubled (I think).

2) I booked round-trip PHL->CDG on US Airways using the cheapest online fares I could find. We didn't get an upgrade on the way out, but we both got an upgrade on the way back (using up 1/2 of my upgrades for the year). It was one of the newer "pod style" first class and it was very nice.

3) Upgrades for me (and my travel companion if applicable) have been 100% for me as Chairman. Nicest on flights over 3 hours where I get meals.

4) I signed up for Silver Trial Preferred ($200) on around Dec 20, 2010. I flew 40 segments in the next 90 days and as I hit each milestone I automatically attained the next higher status. Once I hit the 40 segments I had Chairman until Feb 2012. Best money I ever spent in my life. I do not know what happens if you sign up now (will it just expire Feb 2012?): if you can't find out for sure, I recommend delaying your signup to make sure your status will last through all of 2012.

I have a question for you: I'm doing the other way around. I'm moving to Atlanta so I received a Platinum status match on Delta. I flew with me and my wife on the same ticket and they upgraded me but not my wife. They seemed to indicate that companions are never upgraded, but the website seemed different.

One nice thing about Delta is that on the longer first-class flights you get movies, power, and WiFi. Some US Air flights you get WiFi but not many, and never have I had a TV or power on domestic.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 11:44 am

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by kirkbauer
1)
I have a question for you: I'm doing the other way around. I'm moving to Atlanta so I received a Platinum status match on Delta. I flew with me and my wife on the same ticket and they upgraded me but not my wife. They seemed to indicate that companions are never upgraded, but the website seemed different.
I'm not exactly sure what the question is... but it sounds like you're asking about companion upgrades on Delta. It's a lot more complicated on Delta than it is on US from what I can tell. With US, it seems like your non-status companion will upgrade at the same window as you do... so 100 hours out or whatever as a Chairman. With Delta, if you're a Platinum, you will typically get upgraded 5-6 days in advance of the flight. BUT... if you're flying with a non-status companion, both of your upgrades will be processed at the same time, around 24-48 hours out, after all others have cleared (meaning, a silver flying solo will upgrade before a platinum + non-status companion). If you don't both get the upgrade, your itinerary will be automatically split and added to the upgrade list at the gate. There, as a platinum, you'll be high on the list while your non-status companion will be low. So, I'm guessing you got your upgrade at the gate but your companion missed out?

My advice is to call in and have your itinerary split (but keep the companion upgrade request in place). That way, as a platinum, you'll still get your upgrade processed 5-6 days out. Your companion will get their upgrade processed after everyone else, around 24-48 hours out (or be put on the list at the gate) just like if you kept things together, except now you only need 1 seat to free up and you're both in, rather than hoping for 2 seats.

Another note... your companion MUST be a SkyMiles member. So also be sure your companion is at least enrolled in SkyMiles.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 9:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
A couple Trial Preferred questions. I just discovered this option in the Grand Slam rules, but beyond just getting a hit it seems like it might be a good option for me.

I have a planned U.S.-to-Spain trip scheduled for December. It will entail about 10,000 BIS miles, give or take. Ordinarily I would book this on United metal to get Economy Plus access. I can choose any airline or routing within reason and I have not yet booked the ticket.

My UA 2P expires in January 2012. I was able to do a status-match after July 1st on CO, thinking that in the dying days of CO that might be enough to tease my *A Silver status all the way to Jan 2013, but I don't think it's going to work: it appears that it also expires in Jan 2012 (e.g., the merger rules make it appear that I'll be MileagePlus general member in Feb '12).

So in addition to the GS hit, I'm still looking for basic access to Star Alliance next year. (A minimum of a low-tier status.)

My questions are this:
(1) If I sign up for the Silver Trial in November, fly my Spain trip in December and then don't fly US again, will I be Silver through Feb 29, 2012 or 2013?
(2) If I buy the GOLD trial but only fly 7,500+ miles, is that considered an outright failed challenge? Part of me wants to pay the $400...figure the extra $200 will result in an extra few thousand miles, lounge access, increased chance at upgrades on two domestic legs, better irrops protection, etc.
(3) A follow-on to both of the first two questions: if I buy the GOLD trial, fly to/from Europe on US, and then go fly 5,000 or so more BIS miles in January 2012, will I have Star Gold status through Feb 2013?
(4) Are there any seats on a US-operated TATL flight that are roughly equivalent to United Economy Plus? I assume elites can select desirable coach seats. I can plumb Seatguru looking for exit rows and such...but is there a general take on the level of awfulness of US coach vs. other airlines' coach experiences.

The "operated by US" line in the T's & C's seems to eliminate the idea of a UA codeshare across the Atlantic...if one exists. I assume that if I participate in the trial, I will have to actually fly on US Airways. If there's any way around this, I'd love to know about it!!
Old Sep 8, 2011, 10:24 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by pinniped

My questions are this:
(1) If I sign up for the Silver Trial in November, fly my Spain trip in December and then don't fly US again, will I be Silver through Feb 29, 2012 or 2013?
(2) If I buy the GOLD trial but only fly 7,500+ miles, is that considered an outright failed challenge? Part of me wants to pay the $400...figure the extra $200 will result in an extra few thousand miles, lounge access, increased chance at upgrades on two domestic legs, better irrops protection, etc.
(3) A follow-on to both of the first two questions: if I buy the GOLD trial, fly to/from Europe on US, and then go fly 5,000 or so more BIS miles in January 2012, will I have Star Gold status through Feb 2013?
(4) Are there any seats on a US-operated TATL flight that are roughly equivalent to United Economy Plus? I assume elites can select desirable coach seats. I can plumb Seatguru looking for exit rows and such...but is there a general take on the level of awfulness of US coach vs. other airlines' coach experiences.

The "operated by US" line in the T's & C's seems to eliminate the idea of a UA codeshare across the Atlantic...if one exists. I assume that if I participate in the trial, I will have to actually fly on US Airways. If there's any way around this, I'd love to know about it!!
1. I believe that after 7/1, any trial status goes to the next year, so should be 2/28/2013
2. For *Gold, you'd get access to the PHL Envoy lounge before you depart, as well as access to lounges in Spain (I've been to the JK lounges @ MAD/BCN, neither is much to write home about), as well as the PHL B-C lounge on your return. When I first did the challenge some 5-6 years ago, I just did one big run to get gold, but there was no fee.
3. As far as I know, regardless your status would go to 2/28/2013
4. If there are any good coach seats on US TA in a widebody, I haven't found them. Some will argue about bulkhead seats opening up 24 hours before the flight. I'd counter that chances are extremely high you'll get stuck next to or near a baby. Happened to me on PHL-MUC, and it was a horrible flight with a screaming baby being passed between mother and father every 10 min (plus they had another lap child). I guess the 757s have typical exit rows, but I've never been on one TA. After that PHL-MUC experience, I usually try to get near the front of the back section; if the flight isn't full that area seems like it will be less full than the front and chances of an open seat near you are greater.

Any challenge flights have to be on US metal, with the exception of express partners flying under the US logo. We regularly see posts of people who claim they didn't know, try to get credit, etc. I've never seen it happen.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Thanks for the response...that's helpful. I may call US Airways before I buy this because their website still shows that successful challenges only give status until Feb '12, and it's a long way past July 1st. (Maybe US Airways shares IT support with Southwest? )

You aren't kidding about US coach seats: Seatguru has little positive to say about any of the widebodies. I'd be doing PHL-MAD on what appears to be a 332, meaning Row 23 is about the only thing semi-desirable.

Does anyone know if I can sign up for a Gold Trial and then receive Silver through 2013 if I fly only 7,500 miles? (e.g., does the trial purchased have to align with the total miles flown in the 90 days, as is true for an AA challenge?)

Last question: does US Airways do soft landings? If I finish a Gold challenge and then fly no EQM in 2013, am I then Silver through Feb 2014? (I can see a lot of mileage-redeeming in '12 but not so much mileage-earning on US.)
Old Sep 8, 2011, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold
US does not have a published benefit of doing soft landings (like I've heard mostly AA doing it though not sure if it's published). Don't count on it, but it is widely discussed that sometimes people will receive their status extended.. no one knows the criterium though.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 4:03 pm

Programs: US Gold, Marriott Plat
Thanks for the response...that's helpful. I may call US Airways before I buy this because their website still shows that successful challenges only give status until Feb '12, and it's a long way past July 1st. (Maybe US Airways shares IT support with Southwest? )
I signed up for the trial about three weeks ago, and before I did, I called them to ask about this exact thing. They checked the policy and even read it back to me before I signed up, I can confirm that it is good through 2013.

The hardest part about the preferred trial is actually getting someone on the phone that knows what you are talking about. It took me like three calls to get someone that could help me. Its all ran through a call center and no one seems to know what it is, they will transfer you to other places, give you numbers to call back, etc., and you end up back in the same spot. So be patient. Once you find someone that knows what they are doing it's worth it though, the status kicks in almost immediately (within a few hours it was showing on the web site for me), and even as a Silver I've gone 3/3 for upgrades so far -- YMMV, depends on the routes you're on I guess.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
One thing AZTIMM didn't say was, if you did the Silver Challange and you fly more then mim for gold, you will get Gold Status on US, which in turn gets you *G, which really opens up IFL for you. I did the Silver Challage last year, no cost, and made it to PLT. I'll be 1P on UA next year but will retain my PLT with US. I doubt I'll make 2P for 2012 on UA but will continue keep my *G on US.

A couple Trial Preferred questions. I just discovered this option in the Grand Slam rules, but beyond just getting a hit it seems like it might be a good option for me.

I have a planned U.S.-to-Spain trip scheduled for December. It will entail about 10,000 BIS miles, give or take. Ordinarily I would book this on United metal to get Economy Plus access. I can choose any airline or routing within reason and I have not yet booked the ticket.

My UA 2P expires in January 2012. I was able to do a status-match after July 1st on CO, thinking that in the dying days of CO that might be enough to tease my *A Silver status all the way to Jan 2013, but I don't think it's going to work: it appears that it also expires in Jan 2012 (e.g., the merger rules make it appear that I'll be MileagePlus general member in Feb '12).

So in addition to the GS hit, I'm still looking for basic access to Star Alliance next year. (A minimum of a low-tier status.)

My questions are this:

Old Sep 9, 2011, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
One thing AZTIMM didn't say was, if you did the Silver Challange and you fly more then mim for gold, you will get Gold Status on US, which in turn gets you *G, which really opens up IFL for you. I did the Silver Challage last year, no cost, and made it to PLT. I'll be 1P on UA next year but will retain my PLT with US. I doubt I'll make 2P for 2012 on UA but will continue keep my *G on US.
Last question and then I'll leave everyone alone : what about the reverse? I sign up for the Gold Trial for $400, but then only fly 9,400 total BIS miles.

When the 90 days is done and I'm no longer Gold, does that still result in Silver status through Feb 2013?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.