Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2014, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Update: As of 22 Dec 2014, Trial Preferred is no longer accepting new enrollments. If you're currently enrolled in Trial Preferred, you'll continue to receive Preferred benefits and accrue toward status through the remainder of your Trial period. Your 2015 Preferred status earned through Trial will transfer to AAdvantage once we combine the programs in the second quarter of 2015.

========================================
Try Preferred status on for size <Link>

Are you new to Dividend Miles? Enjoy the benefits of Preferred status now through the Trial Preferred program. Get priority check-in and boarding, unlimited upgrades to First Class and more during your 90-day trial period.

Here's how to get Preferred status

Choose and purchase your level of Preferred status, then fly with US. It's that easy to get all the benefits of Preferred status.

Learn more about Preferred

Upgrade to Preferred

Preferred status / cost Silver – $200 Gold – $400 Platinum – $600

Then, over the next 90 days, fly a minimum number of miles on flights operated by US Airways or American Airlines to keep your Preferred status through February 29, 2016. If your trial began on or before June 30, 2014, you'll maintain your Preferred status through February 28, 2015.

• Silver: Fly 7,500 miles or 10 segments
  • Gold: Fly 15,000 miles or 20 segments
  • Platinum: Fly 22,500 miles or 30 segments
  • Chairman's: Fly 30,000 miles or 40 segments

The Trial Preferred program is the quickest way to get to Preferred status. Just enroll online to try Preferred on for size today.

Enroll in Tral Preferred

Terms & Conditions

This program is available only to non-Preferred members. Dividend Miles members must fly a minimum number of miles or segments to keep Preferred status for the remainder of the program year. Bonus miles earned based on class of service do not count toward Preferred status. Members may enroll in the Trial Preferred program only once in any consecutive 12-month period. Members who did not requalify for Preferred status for the current year are not eligible to participate in the Trial Preferred program. Only elite-qualifying miles earned on flights operated by US Airways, US Airways Express, American Airlines and American Eagle can be applied toward the Trial Preferred program. The program participation fee is non-refundable. Federal excise tax of 7.5% will be added to the purchase price. Only bookings made after the member's status has been upgraded reflect his or her new status. Preferred status earned through the Trial Preferred program is only valid in the Dividend Miles program through February 29, 2016 for members who purchased Trial Preferred after June 30, 2014. Members who purchased Trial Preferred on or before June 30, 2014 will retain their earned Preferred status through February 28, 2015. Associated First Class upgrade benefits are based on availability and only available on US Airways and US Airways Express-operated flights.

Wiki updated 7 Dec 2014
Print Wikipost

Trial Preferred Status (merged) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2011, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
It makes since since you would be *G and will have access to *G lounges... then it would be worth buyng gold over silver.

Originally Posted by pinniped
I assume Silvers follow them in Zone 2 (or whatever it's called), right?

I don't think any of my US Airways travels will entail a lot of carry-on luggage. The international trip is 1 week long and will have business attire, so it'll be a checked bag plus my smaller bag (laptop) with me. As long as Silvers aren't at risk to board last, specific hair-splitting within the elite levels is fine with me...

I know this isn't rational, but part of me wants to buy Gold just to have Gold for one nice long 7-segment international trip. I know that's not entirely rational when Silver is almost as good, assuming I can find a way to entertain myself for 2 hours in the Madrid airport without access to a lounge.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA GLD (1MM), DL GLD, Marriott Plat, RCL D+, X Elite
One question for those more experienced with the new US. If I have an existing reservation with my United # in the PNR, and change that to my US Silver #, is that all I have to do to ensure I go into the upgrade queue? Or do I need to call? I'll endeavor to keep my other neophyte curiosities about the program to myself and use the search function.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 4:08 pm

Programs: WN A-List/CP, HHonors Diamond, CX J with AA miles, US Gold/*G
I assume Silvers follow them in Zone 2 (or whatever it's called), right?
Yes.

I know this isn't rational, but part of me wants to buy Gold just to have Gold for one nice long 7-segment international trip....
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
It makes since since you would be *G and will have access to *G lounges... then it would be worth buyng gold over silver.
Totally agree....get Gold.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

DO u have reservation on US or UA?

If you have it on US, you will be placed in the Queue automatically. and at T-48 hours if there is a seat open, you will get it.

Originally Posted by flyastrojets
One question for those more experienced with the new US. If I have an existing reservation with my United # in the PNR, and change that to my US Silver #, is that all I have to do to ensure I go into the upgrade queue? Or do I need to call? I'll endeavor to keep my other neophyte curiosities about the program to myself and use the search function.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 8:18 pm

Programs: AA GLD (1MM), DL GLD, Marriott Plat, RCL D+, X Elite
The res is on US. Previously I had my UA MP # in the res to credit to them, but now I've switched it to my US #. Thanks for the info!
Old Sep 16, 2011, 1:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jrpaguia
Totally agree....get Gold.
Just booked my itin today: turns out its actually six segments on US metal, four mainline domestic and two long-hauls. So yeah, I'm getting Gold.

Random thought: does the system (for the trials) distinguish between actual BIS miles and Preferred Qualifying miles? I'll probably wind up with 5k EQM from the Grand Slam.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 2:15 pm

Programs: US CP, DL GM, HH Dia, MR G
Random thought: does the system (for the trials) distinguish between actual BIS miles and Preferred Qualifying miles? I'll probably wind up with 5k EQM from the Grand Slam.
For the trial only the BIS miles count - the GS11 miles will not.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 5:17 pm

On the US web-site I'm not seeing the buy up for status, is this something that you have to call for? Thx
Old Sep 16, 2011, 5:46 pm

Programs: WN A-List/CP, HHonors Diamond, CX J with AA miles, US Gold/*G
Originally Posted by harpodamann
On the US web-site I'm not seeing the buy up for status, is this something that you have to call for? Thx
Here:

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/divid...preferred.html
Old Sep 16, 2011, 5:54 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Just booked my itin today: turns out its actually six segments on US metal, four mainline domestic and two long-hauls. So yeah, I'm getting Gold.
But you're traveling to Europe, aren't you? The auto-upgrade program doesn't include those flights.

And even as a gold, you'd be behind CP, Plats, and any Golds with more YTD miles than you. I just flew PHL-PHX on Tues, as a CP I was in my coach exit row seat.

Just don't have high expectations that you'll get upgraded if you pay the extra money for Gold. Even Silvers can reserve exit rows and get zone 2 boarding.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 6:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by aztimm
But you're traveling to Europe, aren't you? The auto-upgrade program doesn't include those flights.

And even as a gold, you'd be behind CP, Plats, and any Golds with more YTD miles than you. I just flew PHL-PHX on Tues, as a CP I was in my coach exit row seat.

Just don't have high expectations that you'll get upgraded if you pay the extra money for Gold. Even Silvers can reserve exit rows and get zone 2 boarding.
Oh, I know it doesn't include Europe. I'm not aware of any airline that auto-upgrades Europe. Even when I was flying to Europe every 4 weeks for business on UA with 1K status, I did a ton of segments in coach as C was always full and the list of would-be mileage and SWU upgraders was usually 20 or 30 deep for ORD-LHR. (Sort of depressing to see 20-30 people waitlisted and "Available Seats: 0")

Anyway, 4 of my six segments are domestic and on Saturdays. Yeah, I know it's not a sure thing but figure to/from MCI I have at least a decent shot.

Worst case, I overspent a tad bit for some lounges, some extra miles, and a little extra peace of mind that someone might attempt to help me if a flight gets delayed or canceled. (OK, maybe that last part is wishful thinking... )
Old Sep 16, 2011, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by jrpaguia
THX ^
Old Sep 18, 2011, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

This is why I think paying for Silver is the best deal, that is unless you are going to travel international then gold is the way to go, to get access to *A lounges.

Originally Posted by aztimm

Old Sep 18, 2011, 5:12 am

Programs: AA exp(6mm), United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Experience buying up to silver

I just spent some painful time with us airways buying up to trial silver. Every time I asked the agent a question she put me on hold for 5-10 minutes. I was well into an hour for what should of been a very simple transaction. I now show as silver and was able to move my seats to exit rows. Yeah!!! But the agent insisted I couldn't be given the silver number until the end of the 90 day trial period. She exhausted me and I couldn't wait for another interminable hold while I discussed it with the supervisor. Can someone pm me the correct phone number for silver?
Thanks
Old Sep 18, 2011, 5:41 pm

Sorry to repeat a question others have asked...but I have a boatload of flights to book this week, but won't begin traveling for another 10 days...

Can i book all flights now, and then sign up for Trial preferred the day before my first flight?

That extra 10 days could certainly come in handy, as it'll allow me to add in a flight home to XMas at the end of the 90 day period.

I've heard conflicting reports on this, just hoping to officially set the record straight.

Thanks all!

-Steve

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.