Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2014, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Update: As of 22 Dec 2014, Trial Preferred is no longer accepting new enrollments. If you're currently enrolled in Trial Preferred, you'll continue to receive Preferred benefits and accrue toward status through the remainder of your Trial period. Your 2015 Preferred status earned through Trial will transfer to AAdvantage once we combine the programs in the second quarter of 2015.

========================================
Try Preferred status on for size <Link>

Are you new to Dividend Miles? Enjoy the benefits of Preferred status now through the Trial Preferred program. Get priority check-in and boarding, unlimited upgrades to First Class and more during your 90-day trial period.

Here's how to get Preferred status

Choose and purchase your level of Preferred status, then fly with US. It's that easy to get all the benefits of Preferred status.

Learn more about Preferred

Upgrade to Preferred

Preferred status / cost Silver – $200 Gold – $400 Platinum – $600

Then, over the next 90 days, fly a minimum number of miles on flights operated by US Airways or American Airlines to keep your Preferred status through February 29, 2016. If your trial began on or before June 30, 2014, you'll maintain your Preferred status through February 28, 2015.

• Silver: Fly 7,500 miles or 10 segments
  • Gold: Fly 15,000 miles or 20 segments
  • Platinum: Fly 22,500 miles or 30 segments
  • Chairman's: Fly 30,000 miles or 40 segments

The Trial Preferred program is the quickest way to get to Preferred status. Just enroll online to try Preferred on for size today.

Enroll in Tral Preferred

Terms & Conditions

This program is available only to non-Preferred members. Dividend Miles members must fly a minimum number of miles or segments to keep Preferred status for the remainder of the program year. Bonus miles earned based on class of service do not count toward Preferred status. Members may enroll in the Trial Preferred program only once in any consecutive 12-month period. Members who did not requalify for Preferred status for the current year are not eligible to participate in the Trial Preferred program. Only elite-qualifying miles earned on flights operated by US Airways, US Airways Express, American Airlines and American Eagle can be applied toward the Trial Preferred program. The program participation fee is non-refundable. Federal excise tax of 7.5% will be added to the purchase price. Only bookings made after the member's status has been upgraded reflect his or her new status. Preferred status earned through the Trial Preferred program is only valid in the Dividend Miles program through February 29, 2016 for members who purchased Trial Preferred after June 30, 2014. Members who purchased Trial Preferred on or before June 30, 2014 will retain their earned Preferred status through February 28, 2015. Associated First Class upgrade benefits are based on availability and only available on US Airways and US Airways Express-operated flights.

Wiki updated 7 Dec 2014
Print Wikipost

Trial Preferred Status (merged) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2011, 11:20 am

flight nurse,
thanks for the response and yes I know they have been answered it just seemed like the answers were different at times. Although you seem to be the most informed of anyone on this thread and seem to answer everyones questions with reasonable clarity. Thanks again, I appreciate your help.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 9:51 am

Preferred Trial

So, I have read through this thread and have two questions:
(1) Is there still a preferred trial for current elites? I.e., I am gold and want to do a challenge to reach platinum or charimans. The T&C seems to indicate that the challenge is only good for those w/o status. The USAIR DM rep I spoke with was confused and did not know because her system was saying I could and T&C was saying it is only for non preferred.
(2) I am a DM Gold with just under 50k miles. Instead of trying to reach plat this year with 25k miles, why wouldnt I just open a new DM account and take the silver challenge and fly enough (30k) to qualify for chairmans? And, since I am gold, I can nominate my new account for silver for free.

thoughts?
Old Oct 20, 2011, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by billysobrien
So, I have read through this thread and have two questions:
(1) Is there still a preferred trial for current elites? I.e., I am gold and want to do a challenge to reach platinum or charimans. The T&C seems to indicate that the challenge is only good for those w/o status. The USAIR DM rep I spoke with was confused and did not know because her system was saying I could and T&C was saying it is only for non preferred.
US never had a prefered trial for current elite, just the Silver Trial. If you want to move up either travel more or do MR's.

Originally Posted by billysobrien
(2) I am a DM Gold with just under 50k miles. Instead of trying to reach plat this year with 25k miles, why wouldnt I just open a new DM account and take the silver challenge and fly enough (30k) to qualify for chairmans? And, since I am gold, I can nominate my new account for silver for free.

thoughts?
Why ? If you have just under 50K and will travel 30K that will get you PLT...
Old Oct 20, 2011, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by goheelswks
For buying up, any strategy on timing? (i.e., when will the program year expiration shift from Feb '13 to Feb '14?)
The cutover is typically around Oct. 1, so you never get more than a year and a half (less, actually) out of a trial + meeting the challenge.

And no, I have no idea what happens if you straddle by signing up before Oct. 1 & then meeting the challenge after Oct. 1 ....
Old Oct 25, 2011, 5:58 pm

PHX-SFO Silver/Gold Upgrade Chances?

Hello, first post!

I just accepted a job which will require travel between PHX and SFO weekly for 3 months and then once a month or so afterwards. Most likely departing Sunday PM and returning Friday PM weekly. I got the US Air Premier MC, made my purchase, and have the miles posted to my account – Zone 2 boarding.

I want to shoot for the FC upgrades. Anyone with Silver/Gold status travel between PHX-SFO? Any idea what my upgrade chances are as Silver/Gold during my travel times?

I figure I will make Gold even if I buy the Silver trial, but if my upgrade % is much higher as a Gold I will spend the extra money on the Gold trial upfront. If Silver’s have a high upgrade % then maybe I take my chances and save $200 or so and buy Silver. If Silver/Gold FC upgrades chances are low then I might not bother with the trial since I get Zone 2 boarding.

My main goal for buying the trial would be FC upgrades right away for the weekly travel for the next 3 months. Thanks in advance for guidance!
Old Oct 25, 2011, 8:52 pm

Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SmartUserName
Hello, first post!

I just accepted a job which will require travel between PHX and SFO weekly for 3 months and then once a month or so afterwards. Most likely departing Sunday PM and returning Friday PM weekly. I got the US Air Premier MC, made my purchase, and have the miles posted to my account – Zone 2 boarding.

I want to shoot for the FC upgrades. Anyone with Silver/Gold status travel between PHX-SFO? Any idea what my upgrade chances are as Silver/Gold during my travel times?

I figure I will make Gold even if I buy the Silver trial, but if my upgrade % is much higher as a Gold I will spend the extra money on the Gold trial upfront. If Silver’s have a high upgrade % then maybe I take my chances and save $200 or so and buy Silver. If Silver/Gold FC upgrades chances are low then I might not bother with the trial since I get Zone 2 boarding.

My main goal for buying the trial would be FC upgrades right away for the weekly travel for the next 3 months. Thanks in advance for guidance!
Welcome to FlyerTalk, SmartUserName! I can't speak to specific upgrade frequencies as a silver/gold on that route, but I am curious based on your planned flying if you feel this is an investment that will be valuable to you?

PHX-SFO is 651 miles and about 1.5 hours flying time. If you do this weekly for three months, you'll amass approximately 15,624 miles. Another few months of monthly flights will net you say 11,718 miles, for a total of 27,342 in a year. You would just make silver status.

The flight will have beverages only - no food (I don't even think the snack basket is offered) in first class.

If you are able to hit 15k miles in 90 days from the start of the trial, you'd get gold status for the program year - otherwise you'd have silver status. Additionally, if you do the trial and earn any status, you'll be unable to complete it again for 1-2 years (say to challenge for a higher status).

Is it worth the $200?

If you think so, you should be aware that Sunday/Friday are peak travel days (as I understand it) and unless you take inconveniently-timed flights, you might have trouble getting the upgrade.

I don't want to rain on your parade - I just want to make sure you understand what "upgrades" entail and how this trial program works. Whatever you decide, good luck and congratulations on the new job!
Old Oct 26, 2011, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
having flown on this route Sunday isn't hard to upgrade as Silver and or Gold going to SFO, however coming home on friday its a crap shoot, I would assume early morning flights or late flghts would be a possible. Flying out of US hub can be tough for Silver and Golds even PLTS can have a hard time. There are other advantages other then upgrades that are nice, Emergency Exit seating, priority boarding, extra luggage and elite line through security.

Originally Posted by SmartUserName
Hello, first post!

Old Oct 26, 2011, 11:41 am

Thanks for the input vysean and FlightNurse!

I am pretty tall and was thinking FC would be worth it to me if I could 75% or so upgrades just for the comfort factor.

FlightNurse had a great point I didn't even think about and that is the exit rows. At this point I am leaning towards Silver realizing it is somewhat of a gamble....I still have a week and half before my first flight so I'll continue to mull it over if its worth it to me.

Thanks again!
Old Nov 3, 2011, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Does trial status "wrap" around the new year?

Hey all,

I'm looking at switching over to US. I have a trip confirmed in Feb. However, also may have a business trip in Feb too.

If I were to buy a trial silver membership in December, would I still have till Feb to get the 7500 miles to keep it? Or do I have to start it all at the beginning of the year?

Thanks!

Super
Old Nov 3, 2011, 12:03 pm

There's no doubt a thread on here that will answer all of your questions, but you have 90 days from the date you purchase the trial elite status - irrespective of it crossing "elite" years or calendar years.

But there's no point in paying for it now if your first flight isn't until February - I'd wait until about a week out (maybe just 3 days) from your first flight to purchase the trial.

And it would be significantly to your benefit to try to cram in as much flying in those 90 days as is humanly possible. You'll enjoy the results much more. @:-)
Old Nov 3, 2011, 12:29 pm

Programs: US Silver, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by vysean
There's no doubt a thread on here that will answer all of your questions, but you have 90 days from the date you purchase the trial elite status - irrespective of it crossing "elite" years or calendar years.

But there's no point in paying for it now if your first flight isn't until February - I'd wait until about a week out (maybe just 3 days) from your first flight to purchase the trial.

And it would be significantly to your benefit to try to cram in as much flying in those 90 days as is humanly possible. You'll enjoy the results much more. @:-)
Unless you're using it as a hit in the Grand Slam. It would have to be an early February flight to squeeze in the 90-day windows from the end of the GS.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by kendenton
Unless you're using it as a hit in the Grand Slam. It would have to be an early February flight to squeeze in the 90-day windows from the end of the GS.
True, but there are plenty of other cheaper hits than this - it would be a shame to sacrifice 66% of the 90 days for a hit for the GS promo.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The reason I ask about the wrap is I may have a business trip in December. It hasn't been confirmed that I would be going on it yet, so I wasn't going to buy anything. I'd wait until I'd actually travel before buying it. I don't need a GS hit that badly.

The main thing I didn't want to run into is buying it before the trip and then have December's travel not count.

Ideally, I would want to fly a lot more than those 2 trips. It'll depend on what work has in store for me.

Now another question ... if I do the December trip, it'll likely be a Y or B ticket. If I buy the ticket, then buy the trial status, would I be able to call in and ask for the Y/B immediate upgrade, or would I have to have the status first before I book it.

Ideally I'd rather buy a flexible F ticket as I've seen some of those are cheaper than the flexible Y tickets, but I'm dealing with corporate idiocy for Y domestically.

I take it US doesn't give a 50% PQM bonus like UA does on Y/B fares, right?
Old Nov 3, 2011, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by Superguy
Now another question ... if I do the December trip, it'll likely be a Y or B ticket. If I buy the ticket, then buy the trial status, would I be able to call in and ask for the Y/B immediate upgrade, or would I have to have the status first before I book it.

Ideally I'd rather buy a flexible F ticket as I've seen some of those are cheaper than the flexible Y tickets, but I'm dealing with corporate idiocy for Y domestically.

I take it US doesn't give a 50% PQM bonus like UA does on Y/B fares, right?
You could call in after booked once you have the status.

I've never seen flex F cheaper than flex Y, but I almost always see restricted F cheaper (or the same price) as flex Y.

No, sadly US does not offer a bonus on Y/B fares like UA (or like US used to).
Old Nov 3, 2011, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vysean
You could call in after booked once you have the status.

I've never seen flex F cheaper than flex Y, but I almost always see restricted F cheaper (or the same price) as flex Y.

No, sadly US does not offer a bonus on Y/B fares like UA (or like US used to).
I've actually seen it a lot looking at some trips ... BWI-CLT-DEN and back. Flex F has been cheaper than flex Y. Don't know if it's some sort of sale.

Really wish they did for Y/B. That's the only thing I could really see keeping me on UA. 50% PQM bonus really adds up on transcons and to/from Europe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.