Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2014, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Update: As of 22 Dec 2014, Trial Preferred is no longer accepting new enrollments. If you're currently enrolled in Trial Preferred, you'll continue to receive Preferred benefits and accrue toward status through the remainder of your Trial period. Your 2015 Preferred status earned through Trial will transfer to AAdvantage once we combine the programs in the second quarter of 2015.

========================================
Try Preferred status on for size <Link>

Are you new to Dividend Miles? Enjoy the benefits of Preferred status now through the Trial Preferred program. Get priority check-in and boarding, unlimited upgrades to First Class and more during your 90-day trial period.

Here's how to get Preferred status

Choose and purchase your level of Preferred status, then fly with US. It's that easy to get all the benefits of Preferred status.

Learn more about Preferred

Upgrade to Preferred

Preferred status / cost Silver – $200 Gold – $400 Platinum – $600

Then, over the next 90 days, fly a minimum number of miles on flights operated by US Airways or American Airlines to keep your Preferred status through February 29, 2016. If your trial began on or before June 30, 2014, you'll maintain your Preferred status through February 28, 2015.

• Silver: Fly 7,500 miles or 10 segments
  • Gold: Fly 15,000 miles or 20 segments
  • Platinum: Fly 22,500 miles or 30 segments
  • Chairman's: Fly 30,000 miles or 40 segments

The Trial Preferred program is the quickest way to get to Preferred status. Just enroll online to try Preferred on for size today.

Enroll in Tral Preferred

Terms & Conditions

This program is available only to non-Preferred members. Dividend Miles members must fly a minimum number of miles or segments to keep Preferred status for the remainder of the program year. Bonus miles earned based on class of service do not count toward Preferred status. Members may enroll in the Trial Preferred program only once in any consecutive 12-month period. Members who did not requalify for Preferred status for the current year are not eligible to participate in the Trial Preferred program. Only elite-qualifying miles earned on flights operated by US Airways, US Airways Express, American Airlines and American Eagle can be applied toward the Trial Preferred program. The program participation fee is non-refundable. Federal excise tax of 7.5% will be added to the purchase price. Only bookings made after the member's status has been upgraded reflect his or her new status. Preferred status earned through the Trial Preferred program is only valid in the Dividend Miles program through February 29, 2016 for members who purchased Trial Preferred after June 30, 2014. Members who purchased Trial Preferred on or before June 30, 2014 will retain their earned Preferred status through February 28, 2015. Associated First Class upgrade benefits are based on availability and only available on US Airways and US Airways Express-operated flights.

Wiki updated 7 Dec 2014
Print Wikipost

Trial Preferred Status (merged) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2011, 10:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
Weird. Would that this sort of unpredictability weren't so... predictable. But I suppose that is the benefit of hanging around the FT board. Those not in the know just imagine that the system works as stated... Anyhow, hang in there!
Crossing my fingers....my seat assignments are still intact now, six days later... I wonder if it's because I initially switched all of my seats immediately after my phone call with the agent to buy the trial. e.g., The status needed a day or two to really update throughout all systems.

Anyway, I'll be watching it daily now and probably calling later this week if I don't get any automatic upgrade notifications.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 12:12 pm

Programs: US Chairman, OW Emerald
Originally Posted by cdepks
I have been SP for many years, but fell quite short (10K) this year. I was going to do a mileage run or "buy-up", but then looked closer at the "try preferred" offer. As I read it (and want FT input to confirm please!) is that I can let my status expire 2-29-12, then spend $200 and just fly 7,500 in 90 days and I am SP again until 2-28-13? Seems to good to be true, as I have about 15K miles planned for March and April....thanks for any clarification
I do not think that will be allowed. In the terms and conditions:-
Members who did not re-qualify for Preferred status for the current year are not eligible to participate in the Trial Preferred program.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 3:26 pm

Ugh, I wish I had known about Trial Preferred two months ago. With my new job and my four SFO-PHL roundtrips in the months of Oct, Nov, and Dec, I would have had 20k miles flown on US within 90 days. I probably would have even bought up to PP. I'll likely have 12-15 SFO-PHL trips in 2012, and my best shot at elite status is now the lowest tier (Premier) on UA.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 3:55 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 49er
Ugh, I wish I had known about Trial Preferred two months ago. With my new job and my four SFO-PHL roundtrips in the months of Oct, Nov, and Dec, I would have had 20k miles flown on US within 90 days. I probably would have even bought up to PP. I'll likely have 12-15 SFO-PHL trips in 2012, and my best shot at elite status is now the lowest tier (Premier) on UA.
Seems like you could still hit a Gold trial, even if your 12 trips are roughly evenly spaced. If you have a spurt of 4 or 5 in a 90 day period, you could shoot higher.

UA 2P is going to be a weak status in 2012. I'm abandoning mine and will probably try to use US metal, maybe some former CO metal that hasn't been retrofitted with E+, and AA.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
Seems like you could still hit a Gold trial, even if your 12 trips are roughly evenly spaced. If you have a spurt of 4 or 5 in a 90 day period, you could shoot higher.

UA 2P is going to be a weak status in 2012. I'm abandoning mine and will probably try to use US metal, maybe some former CO metal that hasn't been retrofitted with E+, and AA.
If I paid the $400 for the Gold trial in early 2012 and flew 15k miles in 90 days, would I keep Gold status for the remainder of 2012?
Old Nov 28, 2011, 5:00 pm

Programs: US Silver, Club Carlson Gold
If I paid the $400 for the Gold trial in early 2012 and flew 15k miles in 90 days, would I keep Gold status for the remainder of 2012?
Yes, you would keep it until 2/2013. Better yet, pay for Silver trial and you'd still get Gold if you flew 15k. You would only have Silver until that point if that matters though.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by kendenton
Yes, you would keep it until 2/2013. Better yet, pay for Silver trial and you'd still get Gold if you flew 15k. You would only have Silver until that point if that matters though.
Oh, ok. I thought that the maximum level attainable post-trial was the level I paid to try. I might as well pay for the cheapest trial level (which is still better than having no status at all) and see how many miles I can rack up. I'll find the right time in 2012 to do this.

In the meantime, I have one more SFO-PHL trip in 2011. I plan to fly on US but accrue miles on UA so that I clear the hurdle for lowest level Premier (25k miles) on UA. Let me know if that doesn't make sense.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
yes until Feb 2013

Old Nov 29, 2011, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

All depends on what you do with your flights, 2P on UA gets you nothing really

Now the trial, you can buy Silver level and Make PLT like did, its the best way to make elite...

Oh, ok. I thought that the maximum level attainable post-trial was the level I paid to try. I might as well pay for the cheapest trial level (which is still better than having no status at all) and see how many miles I can rack up. I'll find the right time in 2012 to do this.

In the meantime, I have one more SFO-PHL trip in 2011. I plan to fly on US but accrue miles on UA so that I clear the hurdle for lowest level Premier (25k miles) on UA. Let me know if that doesn't make sense.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 1:09 pm

The "What trial should I buy?" question is unrelated to the "What level will I qualify for at the end of the 90 days?"

The primary arguments for buying Gold instead of Silver are some international travel in the 90 days or travel on a lot of domestic segments where Golds would seem to have a high upgrade rate. The extra miles you earn as a Gold isn't huge - not enough to warrant an extra $215.

SFO-PHL smells like a PP/CP-heavy route to me. Maybe see if some of the SFO-based fliers in this forum have real experience with the route. If you're flying a lot off-peak, and Gold scores you one or two upgrades in the 90 days, then maybe it's worth it after all. The challenge is that for the upgrades alone it's a bit of a gamble...

The consensus here is that Silvers don't get a ton of upgrades. That's consistent with my experience on other airlines with an auto-upgrade scheme. Even my mid-tier hit rate on United was only about 50% last year. As a 2P this year, I think I'm about 1 for 8.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

At times people ask one of those questions but really mean the other, I always tell people if you know you are going to make PP, go for Silver since its most cost effective way.

The "What trial should I buy?" question is unrelated to the "What level will I qualify for at the end of the 90 days?"

The primary arguments for buying Gold instead of Silver are some international travel in the 90 days or travel on a lot of domestic segments where Golds would seem to have a high upgrade rate. The extra miles you earn as a Gold isn't huge - not enough to warrant an extra $215.

SFO-PHL smells like a PP/CP-heavy route to me. Maybe see if some of the SFO-based fliers in this forum have real experience with the route. If you're flying a lot off-peak, and Gold scores you one or two upgrades in the 90 days, then maybe it's worth it after all. The challenge is that for the upgrades alone it's a bit of a gamble...

The consensus here is that Silvers don't get a ton of upgrades. That's consistent with my experience on other airlines with an auto-upgrade scheme. Even my mid-tier hit rate on United was only about 50% last year. As a 2P this year, I think I'm about 1 for 8.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 11:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
SFO-PHL smells like a PP/CP-heavy route to me. Maybe see if some of the SFO-based fliers in this forum have real experience with the route. If you're flying a lot off-peak, and Gold scores you one or two upgrades in the 90 days, then maybe it's worth it after all.
I'd argue that the hardest domestic elite upgrades out of PHL are PHX, SFO and LAX, where some of these will sell out paid first even before the Chairman's upgrade window, especially PHX. I usually get them as a Chairman's, but my wife, a Gold, doesn't except at off peak times (say, midday Tuesday). She's about 40% this year on PHL-CLT as there's more frequency. Florida (except PBI) is one of the easiest upgrades out of PHL even for lower tiers. She's 100% to MCO, TPA and FLL this year and 2/3 on MIA.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 7:47 am

UPDATE: I ended up having to call for my Gold upgrade yesterday. The sweeps did not work for me - I waited through at least 2, maybe 3 sweeps. Called late last night for a Saturday upgrade, which the agent immediately granted. Empty F cabin...plenty of O availability...the automatic upgrade should have worked but didn't.

One of my two segments didn't have upgrade availability yesterday, but still had several F seats for sale. Anyone know of a good (free) way to look at O availability? I'll probably peek once or twice a day to see if it opens up, knowing that I'll then have to call...

A bit frustrating that the system appears to be broken as it relates to the trials. On a positive note, I was impressed with the US phone support. I was calling the regular (non-elite) line from my primary mobile phone. Since that's the phone number I've given US, I was connected straight to a Gold agent after answering about 2 questions - no need to enter FF# or read off a six-character PNR. ^
Old Dec 1, 2011, 8:17 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
...Anyone know of a good (free) way to look at O availability? ...
None, unfortunately. US now masks O availability, and only obtainable by calling (they showed O availability years ago, but had to discontinue it due to abuse).

Sorry to hear of the sweeps glitches - hope they clear up after the trial period!
Old Dec 1, 2011, 11:53 am

Programs: United 1K; AA Platinum
UPDATE: I ended up having to call for my Gold upgrade yesterday. The sweeps did not work for me - I waited through at least 2, maybe 3 sweeps. Called late last night for a Saturday upgrade, which the agent immediately granted. Empty F cabin...plenty of O availability...the automatic upgrade should have worked but didn't.

One of my two segments didn't have upgrade availability yesterday, but still had several F seats for sale. Anyone know of a good (free) way to look at O availability? I'll probably peek once or twice a day to see if it opens up, knowing that I'll then have to call...

A bit frustrating that the system appears to be broken as it relates to the trials. On a positive note, I was impressed with the US phone support. I was calling the regular (non-elite) line from my primary mobile phone. Since that's the phone number I've given US, I was connected straight to a Gold agent after answering about 2 questions - no need to enter FF# or read off a six-character PNR. ^
The sweep finally worked for me on my most recent flight after conscientiously working with the DMSC to figure out what was going on with my pre-status reservations. Apparently the person who signed me up for Trial Preferred Status had to enter a special code to these reservations for me to get automatic upgrade benefits. As far as actual upgrades, I'm still agnostic between F on an A321 versus the "front porch" of space one has on those A321 exit rows in coach.

Anyway, now I just hope I get e-mails saying I've met my challenge. I met the Silver challenge last week but didn't get any e-mail to that effect. I'll find out next month if it kicks me up to Gold once I do 15,000 miles. If not, more DMSC calls in my future!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.