Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2014, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Update: As of 22 Dec 2014, Trial Preferred is no longer accepting new enrollments. If you're currently enrolled in Trial Preferred, you'll continue to receive Preferred benefits and accrue toward status through the remainder of your Trial period. Your 2015 Preferred status earned through Trial will transfer to AAdvantage once we combine the programs in the second quarter of 2015.

========================================
Try Preferred status on for size <Link>

Are you new to Dividend Miles? Enjoy the benefits of Preferred status now through the Trial Preferred program. Get priority check-in and boarding, unlimited upgrades to First Class and more during your 90-day trial period.

Here's how to get Preferred status

Choose and purchase your level of Preferred status, then fly with US. It's that easy to get all the benefits of Preferred status.

Learn more about Preferred

Upgrade to Preferred

Preferred status / cost Silver $200 Gold $400 Platinum $600

Then, over the next 90 days, fly a minimum number of miles on flights operated by US Airways or American Airlines to keep your Preferred status through February 29, 2016. If your trial began on or before June 30, 2014, you'll maintain your Preferred status through February 28, 2015.

• Silver: Fly 7,500 miles or 10 segments
  • Gold: Fly 15,000 miles or 20 segments
  • Platinum: Fly 22,500 miles or 30 segments
  • Chairman's: Fly 30,000 miles or 40 segments

The Trial Preferred program is the quickest way to get to Preferred status. Just enroll online to try Preferred on for size today.

Enroll in Tral Preferred

Terms & Conditions

This program is available only to non-Preferred members. Dividend Miles members must fly a minimum number of miles or segments to keep Preferred status for the remainder of the program year. Bonus miles earned based on class of service do not count toward Preferred status. Members may enroll in the Trial Preferred program only once in any consecutive 12-month period. Members who did not requalify for Preferred status for the current year are not eligible to participate in the Trial Preferred program. Only elite-qualifying miles earned on flights operated by US Airways, US Airways Express, American Airlines and American Eagle can be applied toward the Trial Preferred program. The program participation fee is non-refundable. Federal excise tax of 7.5% will be added to the purchase price. Only bookings made after the member's status has been upgraded reflect his or her new status. Preferred status earned through the Trial Preferred program is only valid in the Dividend Miles program through February 29, 2016 for members who purchased Trial Preferred after June 30, 2014. Members who purchased Trial Preferred on or before June 30, 2014 will retain their earned Preferred status through February 28, 2015. Associated First Class upgrade benefits are based on availability and only available on US Airways and US Airways Express-operated flights.

Wiki updated 7 Dec 2014
Print Wikipost

Trial Preferred Status (merged) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2012, 5:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by weave
I'm a casual flyer only, so getting status is tough. I signed up for trial late last May because I knew I'd be taking two transcons that Summer and wanted at least exit row seats. Paid off well for me even though it ends this month.
  • PHL-PHX (June) upgraded at checkin
  • PHX-PHL (June) upgraded at checkin
  • PHL-LAS (July) No upgrade, but exit row
  • LAS-PHL (July) upgraded at check-in
  • DEN-PHL (Oct) no upgrade but exit row
  • PHL-CUN (last week) upgraded @ 48 hours
  • CUN-PHL upgraded @ 48 hours
  • PHL-MCO and back in two weeks (I'm 5 for 7 so far, will it mess up my record so far?!)

I qualified after the trial to keep silver but I'm still 9,000 miles short to qualify this year (I also got some miles for a trip to Turkey on TK) and not sure I want to spend $600 to re-up because right now I don't know what I'll be flying next year, but going back to dirt status is going to be tough.

The trick to get upgraded at check-in seems to be to check in as close to the 24 hour mark as possible. In fact, my successful ones were done right on the 24 hour mark before the flight, so they must hold back a seat or two during the sweeps and release them at check-in time.
That's a great upgrade rate on some routes that I'd think would be elite-heavy. I just started a silver trial and am 3/3.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 9:00 pm

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
Originally Posted by JohnDCA
That's a great upgrade rate on some routes that I'd think would be elite-heavy. I just started a silver trial and am 3/3.
My understanding even CP's miss upgrades PHL-PHX... Nice going!
Old Feb 6, 2012, 7:07 pm

Should I buy up status?

I'm a new USAir flyer member as well as a USairways CC holder. I'm wondering if it makes sense for me to buy up and if so, which to shoot for.

Here is the scenario:

I have several upcoming flights. Within 90 days from now I will have flown from PHL to Buffalo, Charleston, San Fran (x2) and Costa Rica. Ideally I would to be upgraded for these flights to reap the most benefit and it seems like buying status would make the most sense.

My questions are:

1. If I were to buy up to say, Gold today, I would reap the benefits of a gold membership for the next 90 days regardless of whether or not I got to 22k miles? Then, after the 90 days I would retain the Gold status if I had gotten to 22k?

2. Will I earn miles to contribute to permanent status during the trial period for flights that have already been purchased? Or must the flight be booked after I start the trial membership?

3. This may be a very basic question but, will I earn mileage by paying for other passengers' tickets? Furthermore, if I use my USAir CC to pay for tickets I will earn double miles. Will I also earn double miles toward retaining a permanent status upgrade or will the CC mileage bonus not apply?

4. Any idea what the likelihood is of being bumped up in class on a flight to Costa Rica? I've never flown there before and haven't the slightest idea how crowded it will be.

Thank you anyone that can give some friendly advice.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 7:13 pm

Sorry...I meant to say 15,000 miles for gold.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 7:26 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Are you starting from zero miles or did you earn/fly some trips last year on USAirways? The buy up from zero to gold would be rather steep. Probably not worth it.

1.) Buying up to status today retains it until 2/28/13.
2.) It doesn't matter when you booked the flights if you're in a trial period. All that matters is you fly them during the trial period
3.) You do not earn status (known as preferred qualifying miles - PQMs) buying tickets for other people. You earn PQMs by flying on US Airways, or a Star Alliance partner like CO, UA, LH, etc. regardless who pays for the ticket. Double miles, unless explicitly advertised/promoted as PQM earning, do not count towards elite status.
4.) Being bumped up to First on a Costa Rica flight is unlikely unless there is an oversell situation, but on a flight like this I would think it's pretty rare. As an elite, however, you may get the free upgrade if the 12 seats up front don't all sell. You don't have to do anything to be in line for the free upgrade other than making sure your US DM number is in your reservation.

The only trip worth a good upgrade in your list is the Costa Rica flight because it's flown (via CLT) on the 757-200 with International Envoy seats. The Saturday only flight from PHL is operated on an A320 with basic domestic seating. The PHL-SFO flights on the A321 are nice, too, but the domestic F seating still isn't all that great and rather cramped in terms of seat pitch (i.e. spacing between rows).

Last edited by PHL; Feb 6, 2012 at 7:32 pm
Old Feb 6, 2012, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by PHL
Are you starting from zero miles or did you earn/fly some trips last year on USAirways? The buy up from zero to gold would be rather steep. Probably not worth it.

The only trip worth a good upgrade is the Costa Rica flight because it's flown (via CLT) on the 757-200 with International Envoy seats. The Saturday only flight from PHL is operated on an A320 with basic domestic seating.
I'm starting from 0.

Also, not sure I'm totally clear on what you mean regarding the "saturday only flight".

Thanks
Old Feb 6, 2012, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by VLtone
1. If I were to buy up to say, Gold today, I would reap the benefits of a gold membership for the next 90 days regardless of whether or not I got to 22k miles? Then, after the 90 days I would retain the Gold status if I had gotten to 22k?
You would, unless you earned a higher status. If you're close to 22k, then I'd push for 22.5k to be sure to get platinum.

2. Will I earn miles to contribute to permanent status during the trial period for flights that have already been purchased? Or must the flight be booked after I start the trial membership?
It can be booked before, but tickets flown before the status won't count to the challenge but will count toward your overall PQMs for the year.

3. This may be a very basic question but, will I earn mileage by paying for other passengers' tickets? Furthermore, if I use my USAir CC to pay for tickets I will earn double miles. Will I also earn double miles toward retaining a permanent status upgrade or will the CC mileage bonus not apply?
You will only earn redeemable miles for tickets in your name that you fly. However, if you pay for the tickets on usairways.com with your US CC, you will earn double miles for the total purchase. So if you pay for everyone's tickets, you get double the dollars in miles for what you spent.

CC purchases are only for redeemable miles, not PQMs. However, if you spend 25k in a year, 10k miles will convert to PQMs.

4. Any idea what the likelihood is of being bumped up in class on a flight to Costa Rica? I've never flown there before and haven't the slightest idea how crowded it will be.
Can't help there.

Thank you anyone that can give some friendly advice.[/QUOTE]
Old Feb 6, 2012, 8:05 pm

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
You can never know for sure, it all depends on whether there are any Revenue First passengers (paid F always has priority), how many preferreds are flying and what level, first class capacity on that particular aircraft, whether there were irropps recently, etc... but general consensus on FT is that upgrades tend to be harder to come by on:
  • Hub to Hub flights (e.g. PHL-CLT)
  • Business/ Elite Heavy routes (e.g. BOS-PHL)
  • Anything to Las Vegas
  • Transcons (e.g. SFO/LAX/PHX-PHL) - even Chairmans miss these

You have much better odds on leisure routes (Florida or the Caribbean), other hub to spoke flights and US Airways Express 2-class service, which I imagine Costa Rica would be one of them. You really never know till your window comes, even then some silvers report getting upgraded at check-in or the gate.

Last edited by thomwithanh; Feb 7, 2012 at 9:34 pm
Old Feb 6, 2012, 8:27 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
I'm starting from 0.

Also, not sure I'm totally clear on what you mean regarding the "saturday only flight".

Thanks
http://www.usairways.com/en-US/divid...preferred.html

So, from 0 points, to get to Silver(25,000) you would have to pay $1499 and Gold(50,000) would cost $2499. If you wait until you take your first flight, those prices will go down to $999 and $1499 (see above link)

Not sure if that's worth it. You could take your flights and, when available, buy upgrades at the gate on day of departure if they didn't sell. They sell for around $200 each way for the longer trips.

Costa Rica nonstop flights operate from PHL on Satrudays only. They operate from Charlotte every day, so if you don't fly out of PHL on Saturday, you'll be connecting in CLT. That's what I meant.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by PHL
Are you starting from zero miles or did you earn/fly some trips last year on USAirways? The buy up from zero to gold would be rather steep. Probably not worth it..............

The only trip worth a good upgrade in your list is the Costa Rica flight because it's flown (via CLT) on the 757-200 with International Envoy seats. The Saturday only flight from PHL is operated on an A320 with basic domestic seating.
The CLT-SJO 752 flight ends on March 24, 2012 and is replaced with a 320.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 11:32 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Why not do a challenge?
Old Feb 7, 2012, 1:38 am

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
I suspect OP means "trial" since 90 days is mentioned.

I definitely recommend doing the trial to silver (cheapest option) rather than to gold. You'll get exit row access and slim chance of an upgrade. Fly 7500 miles and you retain silver. As soon as you've flown 15,000 miles within the 90 days - which you will once you've flown most of your trips you've mentioned - you'll be bumped to gold anyway. Keep flying within 90 days and you'll possibly make platinum or chairman's.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy
I suspect OP means "trial" since 90 days is mentioned.

I definitely recommend doing the trial to silver (cheapest option) rather than to gold. You'll get exit row access and slim chance of an upgrade. Fly 7500 miles and you retain silver. As soon as you've flown 15,000 miles within the 90 days - which you will once you've flown most of your trips you've mentioned - you'll be bumped to gold anyway. Keep flying within 90 days and you'll possibly make platinum or chairman's.
Sorry I probably should have clarified. Yes I'm talking about the trial.

So just to clarify, you are saying that once you hit the trial number to obtain gold (15k), you immediately are awarded gold status? Or that status kicks in only after the 90 days? The reason I ask is because my trip to Costa Rica will still be within that 90 day period and if I have a better chance to get bumped up then it is of value to me.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 8:16 am

Programs: US dirt (former CP), Marriott Gold, UA Prem Exec, Hyatt Plat
Sorry I probably should have clarified. Yes I'm talking about the trial.

So just to clarify, you are saying that once you hit the trial number to obtain gold (15k), you immediately are awarded gold status? Or that status kicks in only after the 90 days? The reason I ask is because my trip to Costa Rica will still be within that 90 day period and if I have a better chance to get bumped up then it is of value to me.
"Immediately" is a sticky term, but, yes, once you hit the required miles, you'll be up-tiered within a few days (in my experience, you do NOT have to wait for the 90-day trial to expire). Said another way, assuming you do a trial Silver, you'll be upgraded to Silver once you pay the fee; then, if you hit 15k miles with a flight flown on day 50 (for example), you should be up-tiered to Gold by day 55.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
THere are many routes in which being CP doesn't get you an UG, Most if not all of the transcon flights to PHL,CLT. PHX-SAN is a tough one Sunday through Friday..

Originally Posted by thomwithanh
My understanding even CP's miss upgrades PHL-PHX... Nice going!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.