FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Trial Preferred Status (merged) [Master Thread]
Old Feb 4, 2012, 5:27 pm
JohnDCA

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by weave
I'm a casual flyer only, so getting status is tough. I signed up for trial late last May because I knew I'd be taking two transcons that Summer and wanted at least exit row seats. Paid off well for me even though it ends this month.
  • PHL-PHX (June) upgraded at checkin
  • PHX-PHL (June) upgraded at checkin
  • PHL-LAS (July) No upgrade, but exit row
  • LAS-PHL (July) upgraded at check-in
  • DEN-PHL (Oct) no upgrade but exit row
  • PHL-CUN (last week) upgraded @ 48 hours
  • CUN-PHL upgraded @ 48 hours
  • PHL-MCO and back in two weeks (I'm 5 for 7 so far, will it mess up my record so far?!)

I qualified after the trial to keep silver but I'm still 9,000 miles short to qualify this year (I also got some miles for a trip to Turkey on TK) and not sure I want to spend $600 to re-up because right now I don't know what I'll be flying next year, but going back to dirt status is going to be tough.

The trick to get upgraded at check-in seems to be to check in as close to the 24 hour mark as possible. In fact, my successful ones were done right on the 24 hour mark before the flight, so they must hold back a seat or two during the sweeps and release them at check-in time.
That's a great upgrade rate on some routes that I'd think would be elite-heavy. I just started a silver trial and am 3/3.