Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2014, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Update: As of 22 Dec 2014, Trial Preferred is no longer accepting new enrollments. If you're currently enrolled in Trial Preferred, you'll continue to receive Preferred benefits and accrue toward status through the remainder of your Trial period. Your 2015 Preferred status earned through Trial will transfer to AAdvantage once we combine the programs in the second quarter of 2015.

========================================
Try Preferred status on for size <Link>

Are you new to Dividend Miles? Enjoy the benefits of Preferred status now through the Trial Preferred program. Get priority check-in and boarding, unlimited upgrades to First Class and more during your 90-day trial period.

Here's how to get Preferred status

Choose and purchase your level of Preferred status, then fly with US. It's that easy to get all the benefits of Preferred status.

Learn more about Preferred

Upgrade to Preferred

Preferred status / cost Silver $200 Gold $400 Platinum $600

Then, over the next 90 days, fly a minimum number of miles on flights operated by US Airways or American Airlines to keep your Preferred status through February 29, 2016. If your trial began on or before June 30, 2014, you'll maintain your Preferred status through February 28, 2015.

• Silver: Fly 7,500 miles or 10 segments
  • Gold: Fly 15,000 miles or 20 segments
  • Platinum: Fly 22,500 miles or 30 segments
  • Chairman's: Fly 30,000 miles or 40 segments

The Trial Preferred program is the quickest way to get to Preferred status. Just enroll online to try Preferred on for size today.

Enroll in Tral Preferred

Terms & Conditions

This program is available only to non-Preferred members. Dividend Miles members must fly a minimum number of miles or segments to keep Preferred status for the remainder of the program year. Bonus miles earned based on class of service do not count toward Preferred status. Members may enroll in the Trial Preferred program only once in any consecutive 12-month period. Members who did not requalify for Preferred status for the current year are not eligible to participate in the Trial Preferred program. Only elite-qualifying miles earned on flights operated by US Airways, US Airways Express, American Airlines and American Eagle can be applied toward the Trial Preferred program. The program participation fee is non-refundable. Federal excise tax of 7.5% will be added to the purchase price. Only bookings made after the member's status has been upgraded reflect his or her new status. Preferred status earned through the Trial Preferred program is only valid in the Dividend Miles program through February 29, 2016 for members who purchased Trial Preferred after June 30, 2014. Members who purchased Trial Preferred on or before June 30, 2014 will retain their earned Preferred status through February 28, 2015. Associated First Class upgrade benefits are based on availability and only available on US Airways and US Airways Express-operated flights.

Wiki updated 7 Dec 2014
Print Wikipost

Trial Preferred Status (merged) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2012, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by pinniped
The way a US agent explained it to me is that they run a batch process to handle elite upgrades. She seemed to think it was run four times a day. The reason I found this out is because the first time I called her she asked me to wait a few hours and call back. If I still hadn't received an email, then she'd know that at least one batch had run and I wasn't on the list.

I later found out that they'll actually include Golds in a batch that runs greater than 72 hours before the flight. Example...I had a flight departing at 1PM and had my upgrade confirmation by 9AM three days prior.

Others here may have more details. But if you get to the evening two days prior to your flight (well inside your upgrade window) and don't have an email with your upgrade status, you should probably call them.
Makes sense. I called the night before my flight was supposed to process and they manually processed it on the spot. F was wide open after a good sweep so that might be why. But yes, I see how it could be possible to get it a little early that way.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 5:10 pm

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
Originally Posted by pinniped
Oh, with the Trial, your first reservation will likely be screwed up. They had to manually upgrade me. This appears to be rather common. The 2nd and all subsequent reservations processed fine, sometimes with me getting upgrade confirmation emails as much as 76 hours (as a Gold) in advance of the flight departure.
My question is will the first reservation credit properly towards meeting the mileage target (well in my case segments, I fly mostly short haul. Will I receive some sort of status update during my trial period (e-mail or otherwise)?
Old Jan 31, 2012, 6:27 pm

Programs: US Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by thomwithanh
My question is will the first reservation credit properly towards meeting the mileage target (well in my case segments, I fly mostly short haul. Will I receive some sort of status update during my trial period (e-mail or otherwise)?
Yes, you should. I received a progress report on day 30 reporting the miles that were counted so far in the trial. I had only flown one round trip at that point, and the mileage was reporting correctly.

BTW, I also had the same status recognition issue with my first flight as a trial SP. I didn't receive any notification about upgrades leading up to my flight, and even though the DM reps on the phone told me my new status had been added to my reservation, the ticket agent at the airport said my record was showing general member. They got it straightened out, and since I ended up flying standby on a different flight (my choice), the fact that I wasn't on the upgrade list for my reserved flight didn't end up mattering. All flights after the ticket counter "fix" have gone off like clockwork.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 11:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Were these upgrade issues with tickets booked prior to purchasing the trial preferred? I'm currently in the midst of a trial, but purchased my flights at least a week after it was applied to my account.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by JohnDCA
Were these upgrade issues with tickets booked prior to purchasing the trial preferred? I'm currently in the midst of a trial, but purchased my flights at least a week after it was applied to my account.
I bought 2 RT tickets (BWI-PHX-SLC and BWI-CLT-DEN) before I started the trial. I already flew BWI-PHX-SLC and had the problems. I fly the other one next weekend. I can't say I'm not concerned.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 7:48 am

Finally got my official "Welcome to Trial Silver" e-mail this morning. Also noticed on ExpertFlyer that after the Platinum upgrade sweep that elusive Seat 10F (exit row seat with no seat in front of it on the A319) opened up, and finally the seat map cooperates with me and lets me select and save it. Hoping my reservation is finally squared away, let's wait and see if I get an upgrade status e-mail on Friday, and if the kiosk tries to charge me for bag check on Sunday....
Old Feb 1, 2012, 7:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by thomwithanh
Like Ay Caramba, my 30-day email also showed the correct mileage.

Originally Posted by JohnDCA
My ticket was purchased before the trial with the DM number applied after the trial was purchased.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 8:12 am

So I am going to start the trial tomorrow so first if anyone would like to save me the money and gift me a nomination I would appreciate it. Just kidding. My real question is should I change my frequent flyer number on my upcoming reservations to my mileage plus number and then change it back to my DM number after activating the trial or should I leave it with my DM number and have the agent re-enter it with me on the phone. Have people had better success with one or the other in terms of not having issues with their first flight? I have a week before my first flight to work out the kinks but was hoping to get some opinions on the best route to have success and the least amount of wasted time. Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 8:47 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime PLT
Just to further confirm what we have already pretty much confirmed, you definitely can qualify for higher tiers then the trial you signed up.

I signed up for the Silver trial and my 30 day progress report just came and mentioned qualifying for gold:

Congratulations! Youve reached Silver status in the Dividend Miles program, youll keep this status through February 28, 2013.

Dont stop now youre on your way to Gold status. You only need to earn XXX additional miles or XXX additional segments by April 1, 2012 to reach that goal.*
Old Feb 1, 2012, 10:22 am

Programs: United 1K; AA Platinum
Originally Posted by doctor15
Just to further confirm what we have already pretty much confirmed, you definitely can qualify for higher tiers then the trial you signed up.

I signed up for the Silver trial and my 30 day progress report just came and mentioned qualifying for gold:

Does anyone have experience getting new cards/phone numbers as you work up the tiers? I got a card showing US Preferred Silver/Star Alliance Silver about a month after achieving Silver (showing the designated phone number for Silver on the back, etc.), but after you achieve Gold, Platinum, or CP, do they send you additional cards reflecting the new status? I made Gold 1 1/2 months ago and Platinum two weeks ago and haven't been contacted regarding the designated Gold/Platinum phone number or a card showing that I'm Star Alliance Gold now. Maybe this card is sent after the trial period is over?
Old Feb 1, 2012, 10:41 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by blueheronNC
Does anyone have experience getting new cards/phone numbers as you work up the tiers? I got a card showing US Preferred Silver/Star Alliance Silver about a month after achieving Silver (showing the designated phone number for Silver on the back, etc.), but after you achieve Gold, Platinum, or CP, do they send you additional cards reflecting the new status? I made Gold 1 1/2 months ago and Platinum two weeks ago and haven't been contacted regarding the designated Gold/Platinum phone number or a card showing that I'm Star Alliance Gold now. Maybe this card is sent after the trial period is over?
In general -- that is for the "normal" ebb and flow of status enhancements (and drops) and replacement of deteriorated stock -- cards show up with a frequency and dependability of ... well, of the card-making-up-and-sending-out division of USAirways. Assuming you signed on for Silver but have been making your way up the ranks during the same trial period, I am not surprised that they are not sending out a post-Silver card (Gold or Platinum) until your trial period is over. Then, if you have not gotten it within, say, 30 days, you might call and ask.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
In general -- that is for the "normal" ebb and flow of status enhancements (and drops) and replacement of deteriorated stock -- cards show up with a frequency and dependability of ... well, of the card-making-up-and-sending-out division of USAirways. Assuming you signed on for Silver but have been making your way up the ranks during the same trial period, I am not surprised that they are not sending out a post-Silver card (Gold or Platinum) until your trial period is over. Then, if you have not gotten it within, say, 30 days, you might call and ask.
I've also heard of people getting "welcome to Gold" and "welcome to Platinum" packs during their trial before eventually ending up with Chairmans.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
You are a one of the few who got a Silver card while doing the trail, I did not recieve any cards until the 90 days was up, however I could print off a new card (paper) and it showed my progression from Silver to Gold to PP. I took about 45 days after the 90's to be before I got my welcome package to PP..

Originally Posted by blueheronNC
Old Feb 3, 2012, 5:15 pm

1 for 1... upgrade for Sunday cleared!
Old Feb 4, 2012, 4:30 am

Programs: HH Diamond
I'm a casual flyer only, so getting status is tough. I signed up for trial late last May because I knew I'd be taking two transcons that Summer and wanted at least exit row seats. Paid off well for me even though it ends this month.
  • PHL-PHX (June) upgraded at checkin
  • PHX-PHL (June) upgraded at checkin
  • PHL-LAS (July) No upgrade, but exit row
  • LAS-PHL (July) upgraded at check-in
  • DEN-PHL (Oct) no upgrade but exit row
  • PHL-CUN (last week) upgraded @ 48 hours
  • CUN-PHL upgraded @ 48 hours
  • PHL-MCO and back in two weeks (I'm 5 for 7 so far, will it mess up my record so far?!)

I qualified after the trial to keep silver but I'm still 9,000 miles short to qualify this year (I also got some miles for a trip to Turkey on TK) and not sure I want to spend $600 to re-up because right now I don't know what I'll be flying next year, but going back to dirt status is going to be tough.

The trick to get upgraded at check-in seems to be to check in as close to the 24 hour mark as possible. In fact, my successful ones were done right on the 24 hour mark before the flight, so they must hold back a seat or two during the sweeps and release them at check-in time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.