Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2014, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Update: As of 22 Dec 2014, Trial Preferred is no longer accepting new enrollments. If you're currently enrolled in Trial Preferred, you'll continue to receive Preferred benefits and accrue toward status through the remainder of your Trial period. Your 2015 Preferred status earned through Trial will transfer to AAdvantage once we combine the programs in the second quarter of 2015.

========================================
Try Preferred status on for size <Link>

Are you new to Dividend Miles? Enjoy the benefits of Preferred status now through the Trial Preferred program. Get priority check-in and boarding, unlimited upgrades to First Class and more during your 90-day trial period.

Here's how to get Preferred status

Choose and purchase your level of Preferred status, then fly with US. It's that easy to get all the benefits of Preferred status.

Learn more about Preferred

Upgrade to Preferred

Preferred status / cost Silver $200 Gold $400 Platinum $600

Then, over the next 90 days, fly a minimum number of miles on flights operated by US Airways or American Airlines to keep your Preferred status through February 29, 2016. If your trial began on or before June 30, 2014, you'll maintain your Preferred status through February 28, 2015.

• Silver: Fly 7,500 miles or 10 segments
  • Gold: Fly 15,000 miles or 20 segments
  • Platinum: Fly 22,500 miles or 30 segments
  • Chairman's: Fly 30,000 miles or 40 segments

The Trial Preferred program is the quickest way to get to Preferred status. Just enroll online to try Preferred on for size today.

Enroll in Tral Preferred

Terms & Conditions

This program is available only to non-Preferred members. Dividend Miles members must fly a minimum number of miles or segments to keep Preferred status for the remainder of the program year. Bonus miles earned based on class of service do not count toward Preferred status. Members may enroll in the Trial Preferred program only once in any consecutive 12-month period. Members who did not requalify for Preferred status for the current year are not eligible to participate in the Trial Preferred program. Only elite-qualifying miles earned on flights operated by US Airways, US Airways Express, American Airlines and American Eagle can be applied toward the Trial Preferred program. The program participation fee is non-refundable. Federal excise tax of 7.5% will be added to the purchase price. Only bookings made after the member's status has been upgraded reflect his or her new status. Preferred status earned through the Trial Preferred program is only valid in the Dividend Miles program through February 29, 2016 for members who purchased Trial Preferred after June 30, 2014. Members who purchased Trial Preferred on or before June 30, 2014 will retain their earned Preferred status through February 28, 2015. Associated First Class upgrade benefits are based on availability and only available on US Airways and US Airways Express-operated flights.

Wiki updated 7 Dec 2014
Print Wikipost

Trial Preferred Status (merged) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2012, 12:35 pm

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
Originally Posted by Iam Jetlagged
Hi, Newbie here. Good link - this is new to me, thanks.

Question 1: Does United offer something similar? I am 1K 2011 but only at @ 40,000 for next year ... goal = achieve 1K for 2012 and those 6 system wide upgrades! (or do those now come at 125K?

Question 2: Is there a link or a specific forum for maximizing miles using multi-city tickets? I do a lot of Germany (@ FRA/MUC) to DEN.

Thanks in advance!
They do... but with a few caveats:
*You have to already hold Elite status on another airline. It need not be a US carrier, but it cannot be Star Alliance (no dice if you're coming from Dividend Miles, KrisFlyer, Miles&More, etc...). I may be mistaken, but I'm also under the impression that discount carriers are excluded, so Aer Lingus and Frontier cannot be used even though they have elite tiers to their FF programs - as are programs with no elite tiers... sorry JetBlue and Southwest.
*You can only challenge for the equivalent level or lower - for example, an MVP Gold on Alaska could challenge for Premier Gold or Silver but not Platinum, a BA Executive Club Bronze can challenge for Premier Silver (which is the equivalent) but not Gold or Platinum.
*United will not match 1K status - Diamond Medallions coming from Delta are out of luck unless they're okay with a downgrade to Platinum.
*Lastly, the thresholds to keep the status beyond 90 days are somewhat higher than US airways 10/17.5/25 K for Silver/ Gold/ Platinum respectively.

Last edited by thomwithanh; Jan 23, 2012 at 12:45 pm Reason: whoops
Old Jan 23, 2012, 1:59 pm

Delta also has almost an identical program, although the status they will let you challenge to is at their discretion - United and American can challenge their equivilent status up to Medallion Platinum, US Airways and Alaska (according to the forums) one level lower. Additionally, they will consider Frontier and Southwest fliers with a large number of earned points to Silver.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 6:39 am

So I finally signed up for my trial, it's showing on my USAir profile, and the very helpful agent I spoke to on the phone went in and re-entered my DM number so it would be reflected on my current reservation.

Now I can see emergency row and preferred seats, the seatmap even lets me select them, but when I try to save it doesn't actually save the seats and bumps me back to the seats I had before. Does it take a few hours for the seatmap software to fix itself or is this another case of USAir's IT acting funky?

Figure if I can't switch to the exit row in a day or two I'll call the Silver Line.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by thomwithanh
So I finally signed up for my trial, it's showing on my USAir profile, and the very helpful agent I spoke to on the phone went in and re-entered my DM number so it would be reflected on my current reservation.

Now I can see emergency row and preferred seats, the seatmap even lets me select them, but when I try to save it doesn't actually save the seats and bumps me back to the seats I had before. Does it take a few hours for the seatmap software to fix itself or is this another case of USAir's IT acting funky?

Figure if I can't switch to the exit row in a day or two I'll call the Silver Line.
It takes a day or two to fully sync. I ran into that when I started my trial a little over a week ago.

And given my experience this weekend on a reservation booked prior to the trial, I'd call the silver line and have them fix the reservation.

I started my trial on the 20th, with my first flight on the 27th. Did BWI-PHX-SLC. Upgrades didn't process. I called in and they manually confirmed me for PHX-SLC, but it wasn't available for BWI-PHX. At check in, it wouldn't let me add myself to the upgrade list. The GA at BWI confirmed I WASN'T on the list and added me to it, but said I wouldn't get one as F was full with CP and PP on the list.

Upgrades didn't process for Sunday's return trip. Wasn't on the list when I got to the airport as once again, it didn't give an option at check-in to add myself. In both cases, it just said no upgrades were available. I was manually added. Also, at SLC, the system tried to charge me $25 for my first bag check (didn't on the outbound). TA printed out my boarding pass and it showed Silver on it. TA fixed that tool

I didn't have the silver number, but I sat next to the same guy on Sunday as I did on Friday. We talked and he gave me the silver number. I have another flight coming up next week so I'm calling in and having them fix it. So I highly recommend calling the silver number else you'll for sure be riding in the back.

BTW - I did replace my DM number with my UA number and swapped it back at some point. I'm not entirely sure that it helped or hindered anything.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Delta also has almost an identical program, although the status they will let you challenge to is at their discretion - United and American can challenge their equivilent status up to Medallion Platinum, US Airways and Alaska (according to the forums) one level lower. Additionally, they will consider Frontier and Southwest fliers with a large number of earned points to Silver.
UA is all or nothing though. If you challenge for Gold and fly more, you're still a gold. If you challenge for gold and don't make it, you get nothing ... not even silver.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 8:00 am

And given my experience this weekend on a reservation booked prior to the trial, I'd call the silver line and have them fix the reservation.
I booked a different trip for March and had no issue selecting the exit row. When it still wouldn't let me switch my seats for my trip this weekend, I gave the silver line a call. Very friendly agent said she was very befuddled as to why the computer was giving her such a hard time, but everything did get squared away. She re-entered my DM number again, and told me to call if I don't get an upgrade e-mail on Friday, said they'll manually do it if necessary....
Old Jan 31, 2012, 8:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I still believe the US trial is different from all of the others for a couple key reasons:

- It's published on the US website. Anybody can purchase it anytime - with the only exception (I believe) being a current US Airways elite. You don't need to prove status with anyone else or prove any intent to actually achieve your trial goal. There is no mystery or secret approval required.

- You get the status the instant you pay the fee. (Well, it takes the computers a day or two to catch up.) Therefore, the Silver or Gold trial can be valuable even for someone taking 1 flight with no intention of reaching the goal. (Could be a family of 4 flying a transcon buying Silver, or a couple flying a complicated international Star Alliance itinerary buying Gold.)

With UA and DL they aren't always published. We get standard forms for both of those through our corporate travel agent but I don't believe it's something I can look up on United.com.

AA is more regimented/published (at least I've seen an extensive Wiki about it), but unless they've changed it I don't think you get the status until you achieve the goal.

I'm surprised US doesn't market this program more aggressively. Seems like a solid moneymaker for them...
Old Jan 31, 2012, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I booked a different trip for March and had no issue selecting the exit row. When it still wouldn't let me switch my seats for my trip this weekend, I gave the silver line a call. Very friendly agent said she was very befuddled as to why the computer was giving her such a hard time, but everything did get squared away. She re-entered my DM number again, and told me to call if I don't get an upgrade e-mail on Friday, said they'll manually do it if necessary....
Yeah, they manually processed one of my upgrades.

I knew my BWI-PHX wasn't going to get upgraded, but for the return, there were 2 seats going into the silver window. Since apparently I wasn't on the list, it didn't process and the seats were gone. Now I may or may not have gotten the seats. I can accept that I didn't if I were at least on the list. However, losing out because their system didn't put me on the list despite they're telling me I was gave me no chance at all.

Could be a glitch at times. When I originally called in about the seats, I couldn't get either of the 2 reservations I had booked at the time. She could see the silver but the system seemed to be ignoring the status for preferred and exit row seating. It took about 48 hours from the time the trial started for it to kick in.

Silver line swears up and down next week's trip to DEN will process correctly, but I'm skeptical.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 8:40 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Oh, with the Trial, your first reservation will likely be screwed up. They had to manually upgrade me. This appears to be rather common. The 2nd and all subsequent reservations processed fine, sometimes with me getting upgrade confirmation emails as much as 76 hours (as a Gold) in advance of the flight departure.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
One thing people need to understand just because there are seats at any upgrade window doesn't mean that the airline has released those seats to be used for upgrades.

I find it interesting that people are having problems with thier new Silver Status. I did this trail 2 years ago and at that time it was free. I never had a problem with me choosing exit row or placing myself on the upgrade list. Today US is charging for this and the system is screwed up... Iknew people who signed up for the silver trail when I did, 2 hours before thier flight and in 20 minutes were able to get a exit row.

Also when it comes to upgrades, silvers get them but it all depends on the route really, transcons VERY rarely, now my route I was flying during my trial was PHX-STL-PHX and all of my upgrades cleared at the silver window.

Originally Posted by Superguy
Yeah, they manually processed one of my upgrades.

I knew my BWI-PHX wasn't going to get upgraded, but for the return, there were 2 seats going into the silver window. Since apparently I wasn't on the list, it didn't process and the seats were gone. Now I may or may not have gotten the seats. I can accept that I didn't if I were at least on the list. However, losing out because their system didn't put me on the list despite they're telling me I was gave me no chance at all.

Could be a glitch at times. When I originally called in about the seats, I couldn't get either of the 2 reservations I had booked at the time. She could see the silver but the system seemed to be ignoring the status for preferred and exit row seating. It took about 48 hours from the time the trial started for it to kick in.

Silver line swears up and down next week's trip to DEN will process correctly, but I'm skeptical.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
This is weird, when I did the silver trail 2 years ago, it was free and no issues at all with reservation being screwed up.. SO today, yuo pay for it and having problems... Sounds like US need to fix the problem, or are they more worried about how they going to swallow AA these days?

Originally Posted by pinniped
Oh, with the Trial, your first reservation will likely be screwed up. They had to manually upgrade me. This appears to be rather common. The 2nd and all subsequent reservations processed fine, sometimes with me getting upgrade confirmation emails as much as 76 hours (as a Gold) in advance of the flight departure.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
One thing people need to understand just because there are seats at any upgrade window doesn't mean that the airline has released those seats to be used for upgrades.

I find it interesting that people are having problems with thier new Silver Status. I did this trail 2 years ago and at that time it was free. I never had a problem with me choosing exit row or placing myself on the upgrade list. Today US is charging for this and the system is screwed up... Iknew people who signed up for the silver trail when I did, 2 hours before thier flight and in 20 minutes were able to get a exit row.

Also when it comes to upgrades, silvers get them but it all depends on the route really, transcons VERY rarely, now my route I was flying during my trial was PHX-STL-PHX and all of my upgrades cleared at the silver window.
I'm not griping about not getting the upgrades. I don't expect a high percentage as a silver (I will when I hit CP in April though ). I was upset that I wasn't on the automatic list properly (ok, I wasn't at all either way) and had problems with getting on the standby list. On both outbound and return, I couldn't do it at check-in ... wasn't even an option. Had to be added manually at the airport. If I was on the list and I didn't get the upgrade ... no big deal. Someone with a higher status or fare basis got it and good for them.

However, not being on the list meant I had no chance when the list finally processed. I got one (PHX-SLC) because it was manually processed since there was availability - I wasn't on the list prior to that. I possibly could have gotten one on the return, but got passed over because I wasn't on the list. That's what I'm griping about.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Very true - but the signal people have gotten here, and the one that I got as well, is that you don't even get an email at the 72 or 48 hour mark stating that the upgrade can't be confirmed.

That was my trigger to call US and get an agent confirming to me that yes, I should be upgraded.

My first flight was a lightly-loaded Saturday morning midcon that still had standard F award availability and an empty seatmap. I was pretty sure I'd get the upgrade if I paid attention. Fortunately I had already read this thread about the problems with the first itin in a trial and was aware that I'd need to call.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pinniped
Very true - but the signal people have gotten here, and the one that I got as well, is that you don't even get an email at the 72 or 48 hour mark stating that the upgrade can't be confirmed.

That was my trigger to call US and get an agent confirming to me that yes, I should be upgraded.

My first flight was a lightly-loaded Saturday morning midcon that still had standard F award availability and an empty seatmap. I was pretty sure I'd get the upgrade if I paid attention. Fortunately I had already read this thread about the problems with the first itin in a trial and was aware that I'd need to call.
I missed that, but figured it out pretty quickly.

So when it says 2 days is the window, it's actually 48 hours from the time of your flight and not 2 calendar days, correct?

I wonder if this is just a trial related bug. My girlfriend was nominated to full silver and didn't have any of these problems with her first flight.

The bag fee charge in SLC was particularly annoying too. Gotta love US IT!
Old Jan 31, 2012, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by Superguy
So when it says 2 days is the window, it's actually 48 hours from the time of your flight and not 2 calendar days, correct?
The way a US agent explained it to me is that they run a batch process to handle elite upgrades. She seemed to think it was run four times a day. The reason I found this out is because the first time I called her she asked me to wait a few hours and call back. If I still hadn't received an email, then she'd know that at least one batch had run and I wasn't on the list.

I later found out that they'll actually include Golds in a batch that runs greater than 72 hours before the flight. Example...I had a flight departing at 1PM and had my upgrade confirmation by 9AM three days prior.

Others here may have more details. But if you get to the evening two days prior to your flight (well inside your upgrade window) and don't have an email with your upgrade status, you should probably call them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.