FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Trial Preferred Status (merged) [Master Thread]
Old Feb 6, 2012, 7:42 pm
Superguy
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by VLtone
1. If I were to buy up to say, Gold today, I would reap the benefits of a gold membership for the next 90 days regardless of whether or not I got to 22k miles? Then, after the 90 days I would retain the Gold status if I had gotten to 22k?
You would, unless you earned a higher status. If you're close to 22k, then I'd push for 22.5k to be sure to get platinum.

2. Will I earn miles to contribute to permanent status during the trial period for flights that have already been purchased? Or must the flight be booked after I start the trial membership?
It can be booked before, but tickets flown before the status won't count to the challenge but will count toward your overall PQMs for the year.

3. This may be a very basic question but, will I earn mileage by paying for other passengers' tickets? Furthermore, if I use my USAir CC to pay for tickets I will earn double miles. Will I also earn double miles toward retaining a permanent status upgrade or will the CC mileage bonus not apply?
You will only earn redeemable miles for tickets in your name that you fly. However, if you pay for the tickets on usairways.com with your US CC, you will earn double miles for the total purchase. So if you pay for everyone's tickets, you get double the dollars in miles for what you spent.

CC purchases are only for redeemable miles, not PQMs. However, if you spend 25k in a year, 10k miles will convert to PQMs.

4. Any idea what the likelihood is of being bumped up in class on a flight to Costa Rica? I've never flown there before and haven't the slightest idea how crowded it will be.
Can't help there.

Thank you anyone that can give some friendly advice.[/QUOTE]