Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2014, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Update: As of 22 Dec 2014, Trial Preferred is no longer accepting new enrollments. If you're currently enrolled in Trial Preferred, you'll continue to receive Preferred benefits and accrue toward status through the remainder of your Trial period. Your 2015 Preferred status earned through Trial will transfer to AAdvantage once we combine the programs in the second quarter of 2015.

========================================
Try Preferred status on for size <Link>

Are you new to Dividend Miles? Enjoy the benefits of Preferred status now through the Trial Preferred program. Get priority check-in and boarding, unlimited upgrades to First Class and more during your 90-day trial period.

Here's how to get Preferred status

Choose and purchase your level of Preferred status, then fly with US. It's that easy to get all the benefits of Preferred status.

Learn more about Preferred

Upgrade to Preferred

Preferred status / cost Silver – $200 Gold – $400 Platinum – $600

Then, over the next 90 days, fly a minimum number of miles on flights operated by US Airways or American Airlines to keep your Preferred status through February 29, 2016. If your trial began on or before June 30, 2014, you'll maintain your Preferred status through February 28, 2015.

• Silver: Fly 7,500 miles or 10 segments
  • Gold: Fly 15,000 miles or 20 segments
  • Platinum: Fly 22,500 miles or 30 segments
  • Chairman's: Fly 30,000 miles or 40 segments

The Trial Preferred program is the quickest way to get to Preferred status. Just enroll online to try Preferred on for size today.

Enroll in Tral Preferred

Terms & Conditions

This program is available only to non-Preferred members. Dividend Miles members must fly a minimum number of miles or segments to keep Preferred status for the remainder of the program year. Bonus miles earned based on class of service do not count toward Preferred status. Members may enroll in the Trial Preferred program only once in any consecutive 12-month period. Members who did not requalify for Preferred status for the current year are not eligible to participate in the Trial Preferred program. Only elite-qualifying miles earned on flights operated by US Airways, US Airways Express, American Airlines and American Eagle can be applied toward the Trial Preferred program. The program participation fee is non-refundable. Federal excise tax of 7.5% will be added to the purchase price. Only bookings made after the member's status has been upgraded reflect his or her new status. Preferred status earned through the Trial Preferred program is only valid in the Dividend Miles program through February 29, 2016 for members who purchased Trial Preferred after June 30, 2014. Members who purchased Trial Preferred on or before June 30, 2014 will retain their earned Preferred status through February 28, 2015. Associated First Class upgrade benefits are based on availability and only available on US Airways and US Airways Express-operated flights.

Wiki updated 7 Dec 2014
Print Wikipost

Trial Preferred Status (merged) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2011, 6:55 pm

I'm new here, but have a question. I've booked 26 segments in the last 5 months, but didn't know about the Preferred trial unfortunately. I'm flying another 2 segments next week and then it will probably be a month or so before I fly again. I know I can buy up to preferred for almost $400. My question is, if I do the $200 preferred trial, will my next 4 segments still count toward my base 30 segments to achieve silver the traditional way? Just wondering if I can spend half the money and still get silver status.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by stetford1
I'm new here, but have a question. I've booked 26 segments in the last 5 months, but didn't know about the Preferred trial unfortunately. I'm flying another 2 segments next week and then it will probably be a month or so before I fly again. I know I can buy up to preferred for almost $400. My question is, if I do the $200 preferred trial, will my next 4 segments still count toward my base 30 segments to achieve silver the traditional way? Just wondering if I can spend half the money and still get silver status.
Yes, but I think you'd be nuts to pay anything at all, either for Trial Preferred or a straight buy-up. You're on the verge of making elite the hard way; all you'd get for your $200 (for a trial) would be elite treatment for your next 4 segments. Is it worth that?

In any event, welcome to FT!
Old Oct 13, 2011, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
IF you bought Silver perfered and traveled 30 segments by the end of your 90 days, you will get Pltanium on US. This is what I did last year, and will JUST make PLT this year on US.

Originally Posted by johnduaneyoung
Hi, i just started a new job and am now traveling almost every week. No Elite status - starting ground up. Found USAIR's trial program - $200.00 silver, fly XX miles or 10 segments by end of year, and get Silver next year. I did that - already. about to get 18th segment tomorrow, and 4 more next week for 22 and probably another 8 more by end of year. 30 seg's. So they had an option for $400.00 Gold Preferred - I did not have the extra $200.00 so I did not try it - do you think I can get the $200.00 diff and qualify gold? Any other tips? I will hit the gold threshold for certain (in the trial anyway).

Anyways - looking for feedback on this program if any of you guys have used it and other tips for gaining elite status.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by beltway
Yes, but I think you'd be nuts to pay anything at all, either for Trial Preferred or a straight buy-up. You're on the verge of making elite the hard way; all you'd get for your $200 (for a trial) would be elite treatment for your next 4 segments. Is it worth that?

In any event, welcome to FT!
Well here's my thoughts.....I'm going to a wedding next week so I'll have checked baggage, so those would be free under preferred, right? Well 2 of them anyway. If I get upgraded to first class on any of the segments, it'd pretty much pay itself in my book.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 10:11 pm

Q: Reading the Trial Preferred page, it seems that BIS miles have to be on US metal. Is there any way to get credit for SQ metal? Flying TPAC on US Codeshare in a few months (company policy), and trying to see if there's any way I can avoid Y without wrangling with my travel desk.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Just to give you a simple answer.... NO Either US or US express flights count, but after you make your elite level then ANY *A flight will count towards BIS

Originally Posted by warthog1984
Q: Reading the Trial Preferred page, it seems that BIS miles have to be on US metal. Is there any way to get credit for SQ metal? Flying TPAC on US Codeshare in a few months (company policy), and trying to see if there's any way I can avoid Y without wrangling with my travel desk.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 9:04 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime PLT
Originally Posted by warthog1984
...trying to see if there's any way I can avoid Y without wrangling with my travel desk.
In addition to what FlightNurse said, even as a Chairman you would not be upgraded on an SQ operated international flight.

Last edited by doctor15; Oct 19, 2011 at 8:38 am
Old Oct 19, 2011, 8:06 am

Programs: *A Gold, HH dia,Hyatt plat,Sixt PLAT,QF , EY Gold
My questIon is I'm flying with TG LH NZ AC I have no status nothing. I'm booked in J most of the way but if F is available would it be given to me as a upgrade if I brought the trail preferred status or is this for only US airways not *A partners?

I was thinking about purchasing gold for $400 for my award flight coming up even if I get upgraded only half the time it still would be worth it.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 8:41 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime PLT
Originally Posted by Shanye2233
My questIon is I'm flying with TG LH NZ AC I have no status nothing. I'm booked in J most of the way but if F is available would it be given to me as a upgrade if I brought the trail preferred status or is this for only US airways not *A partners?
No, you will not be upgraded on partner flights or even US operated international flights. It could happen for operational reasons (ie J is full and they need to bump people up) but that is not something you can count on.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 8:42 am

Will I get SP benefits or not?

First time poster so please bear with me. I have read this entire forum and am just looking for a reply from someone who has done the trial preferred and can either confirm or deny my assumptions. Here is my situation, I have 10 segments already booked on USAirways and USAirways express flights between Feb. 11th, 2012 and April 29th, 2012. So I was thinking of calling to activate the trail period and pay the $200 for silver on Feb. 6th, 2012, which would push the 90 days to May 5th, 2012 by my calculation. My questions are:

1. Will I receive Silver benefits as of Feb. 6th for my flights I have booked already? I know the last sentence of the T&C has been interpreted many ways. I want to know if I will receive baggage allowance and accessablility to preferred seating at that point for already booked flights? Most of my segments are commuter jets so the upgrade potential is reasonably irrelevant but I would like to get access to better seating in the coach cabin. Again, if someone who has done this can let me know I would appreciate it.

2. Will the 10 segments count towards getting SP for next year because they would have been booked prior to the start of the trial period? Hence giving me SP for the next year.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 8:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond

Very doubtful.

As a US Gold (Star Gold), you are unlikely to be moved from J to F based on that status alone. Those seats would likely go to the flying carrier's elites before they'd go to you. And even then, it would likely only happen if they were in an oversold situation (rare in J).
Old Oct 19, 2011, 9:12 am

For buying up, any strategy on timing? (i.e., when will the program year expiration shift from Feb '13 to Feb '14?) I'm plat now and will requal by EOY at that level for next year (through Feb '13) but didn't want to buy up to Chairman's (trying to get the Envoy upgrade certs, worth the price of the buy up) at a "non-strategic" time

Wondering if I bought now, if I'd get the Envoy certs both this year and next year?
Old Oct 19, 2011, 9:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by goheelswks
Wondering if I bought now, if I'd get the Envoy certs both this year and next year?
Yes. And your CP status would be good through Feb of 2013.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

And the answer is NO. It would be best if you went to the Star Alliance web page and read it. Being *G gives you lounge access (which you wll have being in J) elite boarding and priority bag tag, also you will get bouns miles for booking in J class. But a VERY and I mean VERY slight chance of being upgraded, since the airlines own FF elite gets first shot at those seats.

Originally Posted by Shanye2233

I was thinking about purchasing gold for $400 for my award flight coming up even if I get upgraded only half the time it still would be worth it.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Basically once you pay the fee, you will get what ever level you buy (say Silver) then you are entitled to all the services of that level. I don't think Silver gets the baggage allowence any more (not too sure) all you have to do is go to US web site and see what benefits Silver gets. Now this promotion has been running all year, and no one (outside of US) knows for sure if this promotion will be around in Feb 2012.

Your elite status will be good until Feb 2013.

BTW, all of you questions have been asnwered in this forum or the answers are on the US website.

Originally Posted by mrandrews1
First time poster so please bear with me. I have read this entire forum and am just looking for a reply from someone who has done the trial preferred and can either confirm or deny my assumptions. Here is my situation, I have 10 segments already booked on USAirways and USAirways express flights between Feb. 11th, 2012 and April 29th, 2012. So I was thinking of calling to activate the trail period and pay the $200 for silver on Feb. 6th, 2012, which would push the 90 days to May 5th, 2012 by my calculation. My questions are:

1. Will I receive Silver benefits as of Feb. 6th for my flights I have booked already? I know the last sentence of the T&C has been interpreted many ways. I want to know if I will receive baggage allowance and accessablility to preferred seating at that point for already booked flights? Most of my segments are commuter jets so the upgrade potential is reasonably irrelevant but I would like to get access to better seating in the coach cabin. Again, if someone who has done this can let me know I would appreciate it.

2. Will the 10 segments count towards getting SP for next year because they would have been booked prior to the start of the trial period? Hence giving me SP for the next year.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.