Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2014, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Update: As of 22 Dec 2014, Trial Preferred is no longer accepting new enrollments. If you're currently enrolled in Trial Preferred, you'll continue to receive Preferred benefits and accrue toward status through the remainder of your Trial period. Your 2015 Preferred status earned through Trial will transfer to AAdvantage once we combine the programs in the second quarter of 2015.

========================================
Try Preferred status on for size <Link>

Are you new to Dividend Miles? Enjoy the benefits of Preferred status now through the Trial Preferred program. Get priority check-in and boarding, unlimited upgrades to First Class and more during your 90-day trial period.

Here's how to get Preferred status

Choose and purchase your level of Preferred status, then fly with US. It's that easy to get all the benefits of Preferred status.

Learn more about Preferred

Upgrade to Preferred

Preferred status / cost Silver – $200 Gold – $400 Platinum – $600

Then, over the next 90 days, fly a minimum number of miles on flights operated by US Airways or American Airlines to keep your Preferred status through February 29, 2016. If your trial began on or before June 30, 2014, you'll maintain your Preferred status through February 28, 2015.

• Silver: Fly 7,500 miles or 10 segments
  • Gold: Fly 15,000 miles or 20 segments
  • Platinum: Fly 22,500 miles or 30 segments
  • Chairman's: Fly 30,000 miles or 40 segments

The Trial Preferred program is the quickest way to get to Preferred status. Just enroll online to try Preferred on for size today.

Enroll in Tral Preferred

Terms & Conditions

This program is available only to non-Preferred members. Dividend Miles members must fly a minimum number of miles or segments to keep Preferred status for the remainder of the program year. Bonus miles earned based on class of service do not count toward Preferred status. Members may enroll in the Trial Preferred program only once in any consecutive 12-month period. Members who did not requalify for Preferred status for the current year are not eligible to participate in the Trial Preferred program. Only elite-qualifying miles earned on flights operated by US Airways, US Airways Express, American Airlines and American Eagle can be applied toward the Trial Preferred program. The program participation fee is non-refundable. Federal excise tax of 7.5% will be added to the purchase price. Only bookings made after the member's status has been upgraded reflect his or her new status. Preferred status earned through the Trial Preferred program is only valid in the Dividend Miles program through February 29, 2016 for members who purchased Trial Preferred after June 30, 2014. Members who purchased Trial Preferred on or before June 30, 2014 will retain their earned Preferred status through February 28, 2015. Associated First Class upgrade benefits are based on availability and only available on US Airways and US Airways Express-operated flights.

Wiki updated 7 Dec 2014
Print Wikipost

Trial Preferred Status (merged) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2011, 7:28 am

Programs: US CP, DL GM, HH Dia, MR G
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
3,500 Preferred-qualifying miles with club membership*
What an easy way for someone to get Silver if they aren't too sure if they are going to fly 7500 miles or a easy way to get Gold... I signed up my partner for the try perfered status Gold, and got him this offer. With his flights back to DTW he will make GOLD with no problem.
Careful - When I went through the trial way back when only BIS miles counted. Regular status - the miles counted. Trial status - non-BIS miles did not count. They were PQM's but did not count toward trial status.

Maybe something has changed since then but I would doubt it.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: US CP
Originally Posted by airgator
Careful - When I went through the trial way back when only BIS miles counted. Regular status - the miles counted. Trial status - non-BIS miles did not count. They were PQM's but did not count toward trial status.

Maybe something has changed since then but I would doubt it.
Yes, that's how I understand it also, so when they were having the double PQM promo, those extra miles would not count, only actual BIS for the trial.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 6:48 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Before doing this you may want to wait to see if they are going to start the Grandslam in August.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 9:55 pm

Programs: US Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Question from the new guy.....

First of all you guys are great for all the info you offer on this site. I just found this site tonight and can't believe I haven't found it earlier. You all answered more questions in an hour of reading than I've been able to get for weeks now. So thanks for that and I hope I can contribute in the future.

I called us air about trial prefered and the manager said that the trial upgrade is good through 2013. After the call I had stumbled upon this thread and saw the post about earning 3500 pqm's with club purchase. The 3500 miles would earn me chairman status during the trial putting me over 30k. Does anyone know if I were to purchase the club pass durring my trial if those miles would go towards my 90 day earning period?
Old Jul 25, 2011, 11:22 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Originally Posted by Kjamaral
First of all you guys are great for all the info you offer on this site. I just found this site tonight and can't believe I haven't found it earlier. You all answered more questions in an hour of reading than I've been able to get for weeks now. So thanks for that and I hope I can contribute in the future.

I called us air about trial prefered and the manager said that the trial upgrade is good through 2013. After the call I had stumbled upon this thread and saw the post about earning 3500 pqm's with club purchase. The 3500 miles would earn me chairman status during the trial putting me over 30k. Does anyone know if I were to purchase the club pass durring my trial if those miles would go towards my 90 day earning period?
Nope. See posts above yours. During the trial, only miles from flying US Airways / US Airways Express count. All other forms of status-qualifying miles do count towards the standard method of obtaining status - i.e. those 3500 miles would count towards the 100K required for Chairman's.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 9:20 am

Thanks AZ guy.

I saw an older post on the previous page stating that only trips booked within the 90 day trial would qualify to earn miles towards trial status as it states on the website . Is this true? Because then someone actually went on to say that any miles flown whether it was booked before or after trial purchase would go towards preferred status as long as it's flown with in the 90 days. Can anyone confirm if that's true or not?
Old Jul 26, 2011, 9:40 am

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Originally Posted by Kjamaral
Thanks AZ guy.

I saw an older post on the previous page stating that only trips booked within the 90 day trial would qualify to earn miles towards trial status as it states on the website . Is this true? Because then someone actually went on to say that any miles flown whether it was booked before or after trial purchase would go towards preferred status as long as it's flown with in the 90 days. Can anyone confirm if that's true or not?
It's supposed to be any US flights booked and flown during those 90 days.

But in practice, I believe it's still any US flights flown during the 90 day trial even if the flights were ticketed before the 90 days. This is how it worked for me in my trial in 2009, I can't offer any more recent experience.

Some have said in the past (on any airline) when your status changes you should call and have them re-add your flier number so your new status is reflected on the ticket. Whether you should do that and what impact it may have on the trial I can't say.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 11:24 am

Programs: HH Diamond
My trial preferred experience

I purchased trial preferred in mid-June knowing I would be doing two transcon roundtrips this Summer. I've done two so far (PHL-PHX and PHL-LAS) and was upgraded to first on 3 out of the 4 and the 4th I had 10C on an A321 (loads of leg room).

(I was shocked I got an upgrade from LAS-PHL on a Friday, but am not complaining!)

Very happy. I qualified until Feb 2012 and will be returning to PHX sometime in October so that will be useful. I doubt I'll be able to keep it but I'll bunch my future trips up and buy it again next time I can.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Where these RT's you took? Yes, being upgraded as Silver on the PHL-PHX is a shocker.... Congrats

Originally Posted by weave
I purchased trial preferred in mid-June knowing I would be doing two transcon roundtrips this Summer. I've done two so far (PHL-PHX and PHL-LAS) and was upgraded to first on 3 out of the 4 and the 4th I had 10C on an A321 (loads of leg room).

(I was shocked I got an upgrade from LAS-PHL on a Friday, but am not complaining!)

Very happy. I qualified until Feb 2012 and will be returning to PHX sometime in October so that will be useful. I doubt I'll be able to keep it but I'll bunch my future trips up and buy it again next time I can.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 5:03 pm

During trial prefered, has anyone booked a trip through expedia or any online travel sight and still earn preferred miles?
Old Jul 27, 2011, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Where you book will have no bearing in accruing benefits while preferred. So long as it's a miles-accruing fare class (e.g., not a miles award ticket or possibly something bought through a consolidator) you'll get the miles. If you have status, you'll get the benefits of such so long as your Dividend Miles number is on the reservation. And even if it is an award ticket, you'll still get higher zone boarding.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 1:45 pm

Programs: US Gold, Marriott Plat
Preferred Trial Sign Up

Has anyone else tried to sign up for the Preferred Trial program lately? Whenever I call the number shown on the web page (800-428-1775) and then navigate through the prompts to tell it I am calling about preferred status and want to talk to an agent, I get thrown on hold for like 15 minutes and when someone finally does answer, they are clueless about the preferred program and tell me I have to call somewhere else. The number they give me just sends me back to the same place I called before. Not really a good first impression for someone thinking of switching over to US from another carrier.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 2:01 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Kyle2123
Has anyone else tried to sign up for the Preferred Trial program lately? Whenever I call the number shown on the web page (800-428-1775) and then navigate through the prompts to tell it I am calling about preferred status and want to talk to an agent, I get thrown on hold for like 15 minutes and when someone finally does answer, they are clueless about the preferred program and tell me I have to call somewhere else. The number they give me just sends me back to the same place I called before. Not really a good first impression for someone thinking of switching over to US from another carrier.
I had the same problem a few weeks ago when I called to sign up. I got some surly woman who had never heard of the program who wasn't too interested in looking into it. Eventually I got transferred to the "technical support" team who were able to answer my questions and sign me up. It made no sense to me, but apparently that's the group that does that.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 2:13 pm

Programs: US Gold, Marriott Plat
When you signed up, did they tell you status would run through Feb 2013? That's the other thing I wanted to confirm with them. Qualifying for this would be easy but I couldn't hit the full year #s between now and December so I need to confirm that the Feb 2012 is a typo before I pay the $200..
Old Aug 15, 2011, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Kyle2123
When you signed up, did they tell you status would run through Feb 2013? That's the other thing I wanted to confirm with them. Qualifying for this would be easy but I couldn't hit the full year #s between now and December so I need to confirm that the Feb 2012 is a typo before I pay the $200..
Yes, they told me it would be good through Feb 2013 if I hit the needed threshold in the first 90 days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.