Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2014, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Update: As of 22 Dec 2014, Trial Preferred is no longer accepting new enrollments. If you're currently enrolled in Trial Preferred, you'll continue to receive Preferred benefits and accrue toward status through the remainder of your Trial period. Your 2015 Preferred status earned through Trial will transfer to AAdvantage once we combine the programs in the second quarter of 2015.

========================================
Try Preferred status on for size <Link>

Are you new to Dividend Miles? Enjoy the benefits of Preferred status now through the Trial Preferred program. Get priority check-in and boarding, unlimited upgrades to First Class and more during your 90-day trial period.

Here's how to get Preferred status

Choose and purchase your level of Preferred status, then fly with US. It's that easy to get all the benefits of Preferred status.

Learn more about Preferred

Upgrade to Preferred

Preferred status / cost Silver – $200 Gold – $400 Platinum – $600

Then, over the next 90 days, fly a minimum number of miles on flights operated by US Airways or American Airlines to keep your Preferred status through February 29, 2016. If your trial began on or before June 30, 2014, you'll maintain your Preferred status through February 28, 2015.

• Silver: Fly 7,500 miles or 10 segments
  • Gold: Fly 15,000 miles or 20 segments
  • Platinum: Fly 22,500 miles or 30 segments
  • Chairman's: Fly 30,000 miles or 40 segments

The Trial Preferred program is the quickest way to get to Preferred status. Just enroll online to try Preferred on for size today.

Enroll in Tral Preferred

Terms & Conditions

This program is available only to non-Preferred members. Dividend Miles members must fly a minimum number of miles or segments to keep Preferred status for the remainder of the program year. Bonus miles earned based on class of service do not count toward Preferred status. Members may enroll in the Trial Preferred program only once in any consecutive 12-month period. Members who did not requalify for Preferred status for the current year are not eligible to participate in the Trial Preferred program. Only elite-qualifying miles earned on flights operated by US Airways, US Airways Express, American Airlines and American Eagle can be applied toward the Trial Preferred program. The program participation fee is non-refundable. Federal excise tax of 7.5% will be added to the purchase price. Only bookings made after the member's status has been upgraded reflect his or her new status. Preferred status earned through the Trial Preferred program is only valid in the Dividend Miles program through February 29, 2016 for members who purchased Trial Preferred after June 30, 2014. Members who purchased Trial Preferred on or before June 30, 2014 will retain their earned Preferred status through February 28, 2015. Associated First Class upgrade benefits are based on availability and only available on US Airways and US Airways Express-operated flights.

Wiki updated 7 Dec 2014
Print Wikipost

Trial Preferred Status (merged) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2011, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by usAir
Just make sure to buy it a day before your first flight (PHL-BOS). You want to make sure to start the 90 day period late enough that you'll be able to complete all 20 segments within the 90 days.
Oh! Very good tip! Thanks!
Old May 17, 2011, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US CP
Originally Posted by mubai
Oh! Very good tip! Thanks!
Yes, when I did the trial, I read this line "Only bookings made after member's status has been upgraded reflect member's new status." of the T&C to mean that I would need to start the trial before making my first booking.

So I did that and took the actual flight about a week later. I later read that any flight taken after starting the trial will count, regardless of when it was booked. In the end, it didn't matter, but it is good info to know.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 5:14 pm
gmn

Silver Status Trial

Does anyone think US Airways is going to do another Silver Status trial like last summer?
Old Jun 21, 2011, 2:40 am

Question about trial preferred

I'm thinking about buying trial preferred because I will be doing enough travel on US Airways in August to reach the 7,500 mile threshhold within the 90 days.

However, recently I've been thinking about buying the trial gold, but was wondering if the benefits of gold during the trial period extend to other airlines or just US Airways? Specifically, I'm working in Europe during the summer and will be flying home to the US on United and would like the Star Alliance gold benefit of an extra bag. Would I be eligible for that benefit with a US Airways trial preferred gold?

Appreciate your help. . .
Old Jun 21, 2011, 1:33 pm

I just did trial preferred

I paid $200 for Silver, then did 40 segments in 90 days and now I'm Chairman. I get first class on virtually every flight and I just used two of my international upgrade certificates, so it seems fully legit to me.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 6:01 am

Programs: Delta PM (1 MM), United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium (Ambassador 2020-24), National Executive
Trial Preferred Extension to 2013?

I'm thinking of enrolling in the 90-day trial, however I've noticed that the US website still says, "fly a minimum amount of miles on flights operated by US Airways to keep your Preferred status through February 29, 2012."

The 2012 date has been listed for quite some time. Does anyone have any indication when (or if) an exention to February 28, 2013 will be offered?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 22, 2011, 6:32 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
didn't the free trial thing start on the 23rd or 27th or something of last year? i'd hold off a week or so if u can
Old Jun 22, 2011, 6:59 am

Programs: Delta PM (1 MM), United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium (Ambassador 2020-24), National Executive
Originally Posted by mrredskin
didn't the free trial thing start on the 23rd or 27th or something of last year? i'd hold off a week or so if u can
So you think sometime this month? I've been watching it since March, and there's been no change.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 4:06 pm

Programs: nowadays: dl pm, formerly: hp plat/us cp/aa exp, nw plat
For some reason, I was under the impression that around 7/1, there would be an extension of the "permanent" Status earned after the 90 day "trial" period to February of 2013. Unfortunately, the website still says February of 2012 and I called and the agent confirmed the same thing.

Does anyone know if there's just a delay in updating the site or getting a memo to the folks that process sign-ups?

I have a flight in two days and I'd love to start the trial now but after 90 days, it will already be Fall and then my status will only be good for a few months (until 2/2012). I am sure I can hit Chairman's by the end of the 90 day trial but I don't think, in that amount of time left this year, I could possibly re-qual for 2013 status.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 10:55 am

Programs: Sky Miles Gold Medallion, American Airlines Platnium, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by nethak
For some reason, I was under the impression that around 7/1, there would be an extension of the "permanent" Status earned after the 90 day "trial" period to February of 2013. Unfortunately, the website still says February of 2012 and I called and the agent confirmed the same thing.

Does anyone know if there's just a delay in updating the site or getting a memo to the folks that process sign-ups?

I have a flight in two days and I'd love to start the trial now but after 90 days, it will already be Fall and then my status will only be good for a few months (until 2/2012). I am sure I can hit Chairman's by the end of the 90 day trial but I don't think, in that amount of time left this year, I could possibly re-qual for 2013 status.
Any recent experience, I am thinking of signing up but want to be sure the status will last through 2013 as I don't have enough time left in the year to qualify for gold without the program. Has anyone recently achieved the goal and is your status goog through Feb 2012 or 2013?
Old Jul 19, 2011, 4:01 pm
V21

Programs: free agent
I just called the # listed on the trial preferred webpage, to ask for clarification about when challenge-achieved status expires, i.e. whether it's 2012 or 2013 at this point. I told her what was on the website and said that it seemed a bit short to have the new status expire after February 2012. After looking up some internal T&C, she said that starting July, the expiration date of challenge-achieved status goes forward a year. In other words, the website is now out of date and should say 2/28/2013 now. She said she would contact the web desk to let them know to update the website.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 5:14 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
That's the way the trial has worked in every previous year. July 1st gives you the complete following year. Decent way to bump up (and ideally retain) status for 20 months if you start that date.

Would be interested to know if buy up rules work similarly - that's never been made clear. Though I know enough to always wait until at least end of December in case I have any unexpected flights in the next six months.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 5:48 pm

Programs: USAirways CP
Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy
That's the way the trial has worked in every previous year. July 1st gives you the complete following year. Decent way to bump up (and ideally retain) status for 20 months if you start that date.

Would be interested to know if buy up rules work similarly - that's never been made clear. Though I know enough to always wait until at least end of December in case I have any unexpected flights in the next six months.
Does the "buyup" to CP include getting the upgrade certs for TA flights?
Old Jul 19, 2011, 8:40 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Originally Posted by richinaz
Does the "buyup" to CP include getting the upgrade certs for TA flights?
Yes.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
3,500 Preferred-qualifying miles with club membership

3,500 Preferred-qualifying miles with club membership*
If you become a new US Airways Club member, or if you're a current member who's eligible for renewal, you can earn 3,500 Preferred-qualifying miles. Just enroll or renew your annual club membership by August 31, 2011. Enroll online, call 800-828-8522 or stop by any US Airways Club and be sure to provide your Dividend Miles number and promo code CLB35.

What an easy way for someone to get Silver if they aren't too sure if they are going to fly 7500 miles or a easy way to get Gold... I signed up my partner for the try perfered status Gold, and got him this offer. With his flights back to DTW he will make GOLD with no problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.