Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2014, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Update: As of 22 Dec 2014, Trial Preferred is no longer accepting new enrollments. If you're currently enrolled in Trial Preferred, you'll continue to receive Preferred benefits and accrue toward status through the remainder of your Trial period. Your 2015 Preferred status earned through Trial will transfer to AAdvantage once we combine the programs in the second quarter of 2015.

========================================
Try Preferred status on for size <Link>

Are you new to Dividend Miles? Enjoy the benefits of Preferred status now through the Trial Preferred program. Get priority check-in and boarding, unlimited upgrades to First Class and more during your 90-day trial period.

Here's how to get Preferred status

Choose and purchase your level of Preferred status, then fly with US. It's that easy to get all the benefits of Preferred status.

Learn more about Preferred

Upgrade to Preferred

Preferred status / cost Silver – $200 Gold – $400 Platinum – $600

Then, over the next 90 days, fly a minimum number of miles on flights operated by US Airways or American Airlines to keep your Preferred status through February 29, 2016. If your trial began on or before June 30, 2014, you'll maintain your Preferred status through February 28, 2015.

• Silver: Fly 7,500 miles or 10 segments
  • Gold: Fly 15,000 miles or 20 segments
  • Platinum: Fly 22,500 miles or 30 segments
  • Chairman's: Fly 30,000 miles or 40 segments

The Trial Preferred program is the quickest way to get to Preferred status. Just enroll online to try Preferred on for size today.

Enroll in Tral Preferred

Terms & Conditions

This program is available only to non-Preferred members. Dividend Miles members must fly a minimum number of miles or segments to keep Preferred status for the remainder of the program year. Bonus miles earned based on class of service do not count toward Preferred status. Members may enroll in the Trial Preferred program only once in any consecutive 12-month period. Members who did not requalify for Preferred status for the current year are not eligible to participate in the Trial Preferred program. Only elite-qualifying miles earned on flights operated by US Airways, US Airways Express, American Airlines and American Eagle can be applied toward the Trial Preferred program. The program participation fee is non-refundable. Federal excise tax of 7.5% will be added to the purchase price. Only bookings made after the member's status has been upgraded reflect his or her new status. Preferred status earned through the Trial Preferred program is only valid in the Dividend Miles program through February 29, 2016 for members who purchased Trial Preferred after June 30, 2014. Members who purchased Trial Preferred on or before June 30, 2014 will retain their earned Preferred status through February 28, 2015. Associated First Class upgrade benefits are based on availability and only available on US Airways and US Airways Express-operated flights.

Wiki updated 7 Dec 2014
Print Wikipost

Trial Preferred Status (merged) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2011, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
I would have to assume you would lose your Gold Status, but you might be able to get US to still give you GOLD. That is why buying Silver and working yourself up to GOLD is the best way to go.

Originally Posted by pinniped
Last question and then I'll leave everyone alone : what about the reverse? I sign up for the Gold Trial for $400, but then only fly 9,400 total BIS miles.

When the 90 days is done and I'm no longer Gold, does that still result in Silver status through Feb 2013?
Old Sep 10, 2011, 11:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, TG Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt GP Platinum, Priority Club Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Last question and then I'll leave everyone alone : what about the reverse? I sign up for the Gold Trial for $400, but then only fly 9,400 total BIS miles.

When the 90 days is done and I'm no longer Gold, does that still result in Silver status through Feb 2013?
Yes you'll be silver thru Feb 2013
Old Sep 12, 2011, 10:18 am
V21

Programs: free agent
I'm about 1 month into my Trial period and have a few observations not previously mentioned.

First -- when I signed up for Trial, the agent complimented me for timing my call 24 hours before my first flight of about a dozen already-booked reservations -- no mention of the time of booking being relevant to whether or not flights qualify under Trial.

Second -- the website showed my new status minutes after the call was finished, which was reassuring. However, travelling the next day, my boarding passes did not print out with "Silver" which is how gate/club agents know what your status is. As a result, I was unable to standby for free for an earlier flight. A Club agent thought this was odd and speculated that there might be a 24-48 hour propagation time somewhere in the system.

Third -- my DM status page does not show any indication that I'm in my Trial period (no mention of Trial, no Trial end date, etc.) The only real indication that I was under Trial "promotion" rules, was when my status auto-updated to Gold after 15k BIS miles. Since all of these 15k miles were actually booked prior to my Trial signup, this shows that the time of booking is, in practice, not being considered for purposes of Trial.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Your DM account should show as Silver with in a couple of hours. You wont see "trial" anywhere on your webpage, since you are treated like any other silver elite.

When I signed up for this trial last year, it took about 24 hr before the silver showed up on my boarding pass, also you can print an extra paper DM card that will show you are silver Elite. I have mention this a couple of times to people on this forum if they plan on flying right away after signing up.

Hope this answers your questions.

Originally Posted by V21
I'm about 1 month into my Trial period and have a few observations not previously mentioned.

First -- when I signed up for Trial, the agent complimented me for timing my call 24 hours before my first flight of about a dozen already-booked reservations -- no mention of the time of booking being relevant to whether or not flights qualify under Trial.

Second -- the website showed my new status minutes after the call was finished, which was reassuring. However, travelling the next day, my boarding passes did not print out with "Silver" which is how gate/club agents know what your status is. As a result, I was unable to standby for free for an earlier flight. A Club agent thought this was odd and speculated that there might be a 24-48 hour propagation time somewhere in the system.

Third -- my DM status page does not show any indication that I'm in my Trial period (no mention of Trial, no Trial end date, etc.) The only real indication that I was under Trial "promotion" rules, was when my status auto-updated to Gold after 15k BIS miles. Since all of these 15k miles were actually booked prior to my Trial signup, this shows that the time of booking is, in practice, not being considered for purposes of Trial.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 6:40 am

Programs: AA GLD (1MM), DL GLD, Marriott Plat, RCL D+, X Elite
OK, I signed up yesterday for the Silver trial. Have a handful of flights coming up that should make it easy to meet my 10 segments/7500 miles. I almost went for Gold, but decided against it....as I just don't feel like doing a mileage run right now, and I'd probably have to do 1 or 2 to assure I make the cut. If I change my mind, it sounds like I'll get Gold anyway if I fly the minimum for that challenge in 90 days?

It's not quite been 24 hours, and I can see preferred and exit seats on the seat map, but the website still won't let me keep them after I save the seats. Called 800 number, and they were able to get exit row for me. Maybe that will clear up by the end of the day.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 11:16 am

Programs: WN A-List/CP, HHonors Diamond, CX J with AA miles, US Gold/*G
Originally Posted by flyastrojets
If I change my mind, it sounds like I'll get Gold anyway if I fly the minimum for that challenge in 90 days?
Yes. ^
Old Sep 15, 2011, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

The best value really is to do the Silver Challange. It is worth to go for gold and make *G, that is where the real benefits really kick in.

Originally Posted by flyastrojets
OK, I signed up yesterday for the Silver trial. Have a handful of flights coming up that should make it easy to meet my 10 segments/7500 miles. I almost went for Gold, but decided against it....as I just don't feel like doing a mileage run right now, and I'd probably have to do 1 or 2 to assure I make the cut. If I change my mind, it sounds like I'll get Gold anyway if I fly the minimum for that challenge in 90 days?

It's not quite been 24 hours, and I can see preferred and exit seats on the seat map, but the website still won't let me keep them after I save the seats. Called 800 number, and they were able to get exit row for me. Maybe that will clear up by the end of the day.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 12:30 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP
When to buy trial preffered?

I was thinking of buying trial Gold since I just got a job that will have me travelling a lot from here on out.

However, I just noticed that Preffered seems to reset every February.

What happens to my status if I am preffered when it ends- is there some way to continue Preffered all year round?
Old Sep 15, 2011, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

The answer to your question has been asnwered in this thread....

But here is the answer, as of June 2011, if you do the trail after that date and make the your level, then you will be good until Feb 2013.

Originally Posted by inthemix
I was thinking of buying trial Gold since I just got a job that will have me travelling a lot from here on out.

However, I just noticed that Preffered seems to reset every February.

What happens to my status if I am preffered when it ends- is there some way to continue Preffered all year round?
Old Sep 15, 2011, 1:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
The best value really is to do the Silver Challange.
I'm mulling it over...Gold vs. Silver. I had previously thought that Gold earned a 100% RDM bonus...just noticed it's only 50%...so that nudges me back towards Silver.

Basically, for the extra $200 I'd get:
- An extra 2,500 or so RDM's, assuming I fly about 10,000 BIS miles in the 90-day period.
- Access to lounges three times for about 2 hours per visit, once in PHL and twice in MAD.
- Greater odds of an upgrade on 3 domestic flights - each flight about 2.5 hours on mainline US metal.
- Presumably better priority service during irrops, although in my experience low-tier elite status is sometimes "good enough" to separate you from the masses, with the jump to truly fantastic irrops service coming when you hit top tier.

So...say I value each lounge at $20 and I value the miles at $35. I'd basically by paying an extra hundred bucks partly as a wager on an F cabin that fills with Golds getting upgraded (but *not* Silvers) and partly as insurance against irrops.

Worth it? Hmmmm. Could go either way...
Old Sep 15, 2011, 2:21 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP
I am considering buying up to Silver and then ending up at either Silver or Gold after the trial depending on how much I travel.

I just got back from CMH-PHL-CMH. Any chance they will award that flight to my trial, even thought it is in the past?

Most likely a stupid question, but worth asking given my situation.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 2:47 pm

Programs: WN A-List/CP, HHonors Diamond, CX J with AA miles, US Gold/*G

Don't forget...Golds board in Zone 1. Not sure if you want to assign a $10 "EBCI" value to that*.

*because Zone 1 boarding means you didn't get upgraded.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 2:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I assume Silvers follow them in Zone 2 (or whatever it's called), right?

I don't think any of my US Airways travels will entail a lot of carry-on luggage. The international trip is 1 week long and will have business attire, so it'll be a checked bag plus my smaller bag (laptop) with me. As long as Silvers aren't at risk to board last, specific hair-splitting within the elite levels is fine with me...

I know this isn't rational, but part of me wants to buy Gold just to have Gold for one nice long 7-segment international trip. I know that's not entirely rational when Silver is almost as good, assuming I can find a way to entertain myself for 2 hours in the Madrid airport without access to a lounge.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

My comment regarding the better value is if you know you will fly more then 10K miles in the 90 days would be to buy silver and then make Gold. BUT if you having flghts planned that will get you into *G IFL then do it. But for most people the Silver is the best value and work your way up, this is what I did last year.

I'm mulling it over...Gold vs. Silver. I had previously thought that Gold earned a 100% RDM bonus...just noticed it's only 50%...so that nudges me back towards Silver.

Basically, for the extra $200 I'd get:
- An extra 2,500 or so RDM's, assuming I fly about 10,000 BIS miles in the 90-day period.
- Access to lounges three times for about 2 hours per visit, once in PHL and twice in MAD.
- Greater odds of an upgrade on 3 domestic flights - each flight about 2.5 hours on mainline US metal.
- Presumably better priority service during irrops, although in my experience low-tier elite status is sometimes "good enough" to separate you from the masses, with the jump to truly fantastic irrops service coming when you hit top tier.

So...say I value each lounge at $20 and I value the miles at $35. I'd basically by paying an extra hundred bucks partly as a wager on an F cabin that fills with Golds getting upgraded (but *not* Silvers) and partly as insurance against irrops.

Old Sep 15, 2011, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Nope...

Originally Posted by inthemix
I am considering buying up to Silver and then ending up at either Silver or Gold after the trial depending on how much I travel.

I just got back from CMH-PHL-CMH. Any chance they will award that flight to my trial, even thought it is in the past?

Most likely a stupid question, but worth asking given my situation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.