Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2014, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Update: As of 22 Dec 2014, Trial Preferred is no longer accepting new enrollments. If you're currently enrolled in Trial Preferred, you'll continue to receive Preferred benefits and accrue toward status through the remainder of your Trial period. Your 2015 Preferred status earned through Trial will transfer to AAdvantage once we combine the programs in the second quarter of 2015.

========================================
Try Preferred status on for size <Link>

Are you new to Dividend Miles? Enjoy the benefits of Preferred status now through the Trial Preferred program. Get priority check-in and boarding, unlimited upgrades to First Class and more during your 90-day trial period.

Here's how to get Preferred status

Choose and purchase your level of Preferred status, then fly with US. It's that easy to get all the benefits of Preferred status.

Learn more about Preferred

Upgrade to Preferred

Preferred status / cost Silver – $200 Gold – $400 Platinum – $600

Then, over the next 90 days, fly a minimum number of miles on flights operated by US Airways or American Airlines to keep your Preferred status through February 29, 2016. If your trial began on or before June 30, 2014, you'll maintain your Preferred status through February 28, 2015.

• Silver: Fly 7,500 miles or 10 segments
  • Gold: Fly 15,000 miles or 20 segments
  • Platinum: Fly 22,500 miles or 30 segments
  • Chairman's: Fly 30,000 miles or 40 segments

The Trial Preferred program is the quickest way to get to Preferred status. Just enroll online to try Preferred on for size today.

Enroll in Tral Preferred

Terms & Conditions

This program is available only to non-Preferred members. Dividend Miles members must fly a minimum number of miles or segments to keep Preferred status for the remainder of the program year. Bonus miles earned based on class of service do not count toward Preferred status. Members may enroll in the Trial Preferred program only once in any consecutive 12-month period. Members who did not requalify for Preferred status for the current year are not eligible to participate in the Trial Preferred program. Only elite-qualifying miles earned on flights operated by US Airways, US Airways Express, American Airlines and American Eagle can be applied toward the Trial Preferred program. The program participation fee is non-refundable. Federal excise tax of 7.5% will be added to the purchase price. Only bookings made after the member's status has been upgraded reflect his or her new status. Preferred status earned through the Trial Preferred program is only valid in the Dividend Miles program through February 29, 2016 for members who purchased Trial Preferred after June 30, 2014. Members who purchased Trial Preferred on or before June 30, 2014 will retain their earned Preferred status through February 28, 2015. Associated First Class upgrade benefits are based on availability and only available on US Airways and US Airways Express-operated flights.

Wiki updated 7 Dec 2014
Print Wikipost

Trial Preferred Status (merged) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2011, 7:52 am

Programs: US CP, DL GM, HH Dia, MR G
Originally Posted by no0neelse
Unfortunately you cannot. You need to have your US DM number on the reservation for it to count toward the preferred trial. You will not get credit toward the trial if you use your CO number instead.
To further clarify, when I went through the trial I was told by DMCS that only US metal counted in the trial. Codeshare partner's miles would not count. I did not test this so I don't know for sure but that is what I was told. If true, then even your USDM# on CO would not help - again - in the trial.

Others who may have tested this will chime in with their experience.

Last edited by airgator; Feb 7, 2011 at 7:53 am Reason: typo
Old Feb 7, 2011, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA-1MM
Originally Posted by airgator
To further clarify, when I went through the trial I was told by DMCS that only US metal counted in the trial. Codeshare partner's miles would not count. I did not test this so I don't know for sure but that is what I was told. If true, then even your USDM# on CO would not help - again - in the trial.

Others who may have tested this will chime in with their experience.
I would like to know about other experiences as well. I may have an upcoming trip AKL-SIN-LHR-DUB-LHR-SIN-AKL on SQ and BD that would see me back to *G if non-US metal counts and would really like to know for sure.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 4:10 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
For the elite trials, the travel must be on US metal only: mainline, Express or Shuttle. No partner metal for the trials.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 6:38 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
@ dcpatti

What about the issuance of the ticket:

Will a UA Codeshare on US Metall also count as a US flight towards the trial tier?

Accoding the Rules on US, it should work:
Only elite qualifying flights earned on flights operated by US Airways and US Airways Express can be applied toward the Trial Preferred program.
Anybody flew on a UA marketed flight on US metal and got it credited towards the trial tier?
Old Feb 7, 2011, 7:01 pm

Another unsanswered question:

Does the +50% First-class ticket bonus also count towards the trial tier?

Regarding segments, does any US flight qualify as one segment, or like at CO, where a F-cl booking counts as 1.5 flight segment?

Thanks for your answers!

Last edited by Air Rarotonga; Feb 8, 2011 at 3:54 am
Old Feb 7, 2011, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by AKLDUBFlyer
....... to *G if non-US metal counts and would really like to know for sure.
non-US metal will not count in the trial. Even if US issues a UA codeshare it will not count. US and USX only. Period.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
Another unsanswered question:

Does the +50% First-class ticket bonus also count towards the trial tier?

Regarding segments, does any US flight qualify as one segment, or like at CO, where a F-cl booking counts as 1.5 flight segment?

Thanks for your answers from a non-elite member that trys to get a *A Gold Card
Class of service also doesn't count for trials. You get the 500-mile minimum per segment during the trial and the rest is purely BIS miles.

I do believe a UA- purchased ticket on US metal will count though. Not 100% sure but if an Expedia ticket works, I'd guess a codeshare with US operating will too.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 6:02 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
non-US metal will not count in the trial. Even if US issues a UA codeshare it will not count. US and USX only. Period.
That is correct. Do not think otherwise. I was slightly surprised about that when I did it. Count only BIS miles+500 mile minimun, no bonuses, no flights on non-US/USX metal.

There is contrary information around, even from some US staff. Ignore it.

Despite that this is a really good way to gain the benefits of status before you've earned it, and you've 90 days to prove your intentions are good. It is fairly hard to beat this offer, IME.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 6:05 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
Originally Posted by jbcarioca
That is correct. Do not think otherwise. I was slightly surprised about that when I did it. Count only BIS miles+500 mile minimun, no bonuses, no flights on non-US/USX metal.

There is contrary information around, even from some US staff. Ignore it.

Despite that this is a really good way to gain the benefits of status before you've earned it, and you've 90 days to prove your intentions are good. It is fairly hard to beat this offer, IME.
especially when they do the trial for free
Old Feb 8, 2011, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by dcpatti
Class of service also doesn't count for trials. You get the 500-mile minimum per segment during the trial and the rest is purely BIS miles.
Does that also count for the "regular" status achiefment of Preferred Status every year? Will paid F-cl not be honoured with the EQM class of service bonus at US?
Old Feb 8, 2011, 8:02 pm

Does that also count for the "regular" status achiefment of Preferred Status every year? Will paid F-cl not be honoured with the EQM class of service bonus at US?
Paid F class-of-service bonus does count for "regular" status, though not in the trial.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 8:27 pm

Paid F class-of-service bonus does count for "regular" status, though not in the trial.
Exactly, each flight counts in two different categories. Say you buy a paid F ticket that flies 1000 miles. It will count as 1000 miles towards your Trial and at the same time it will count as 1500 miles towards the annual status goals. So if you end your trial with 8000 miles you've made your trial Silver, but for the annual tallies you've only got 8k miles, or in other words, 42k in the calendar year that still need earning if you want to make gold. If one of those flights was in paid F then the class of service bonus pays against only your annual mileage; you'd make your Silver on the 8k BIS miles and you'd have only 41.5k miles to go for gold, assuming the F flight was for 1000 miles in distance.

The rules of the trial are not that complex: fly on US metal including US Express and US Shuttle, no partners for earning OR for crediting, no bonuses of any kind, yes 500-mile segment minimums, as much as you can in 90 days.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 4:34 pm

Thank you dcpatti!
Everything clear now, no more questions
Old Feb 9, 2011, 5:39 pm

Programs: AA-1MM
Thanks, dcpatti......need to credit the trip to A3 or BD.....
Old Mar 19, 2011, 3:21 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by mrredskin
especially when they do the trial for free
Just confirming (reviewed FT and US website)...as of today, there are no free trials/promotions for status - only the Trial Preferred campaign for $$$ based upon Silver/Gold/Plat?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.