Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2012, 7:22 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by rayoflight
* Is there a 4 segment maximum of for both the outbound and the return or is it 8 segments overall?
* Would routing through SIN on the way back to HKG indeed cause this to price at 120k miles instead of 90k miles? Not quite sure how to interpret the quoted statement in this context: "Mileage is charged based on the most "expensive" transited region". Realize i may be pushing my luck a bit with this routing...

Thanks for your advice :-)
I just called in to book a 9 segment US-Eur-N Asia award, and was told that I could have only 8 segments maximum. The agent seemed quite firm and knowledgeable about US Airways policy on this matter. Has anyone else recently booked a 9 or 10 segment itinerary?

Absent evidence to the contrary, it seems that my and rayoflight's experience suggest that there has been a policy change to only 8 segments allowed on an award ticket.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 8:21 pm

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Originally Posted by andrewwm
Absent evidence to the contrary, it seems that my and rayoflight's experience suggest that there has been a policy change to only 8 segments allowed on an award ticket.
8 segments max as a rule (and 4 in each direction) has been around for a long time now...but sometimes the agent or ticketing desk will let through exceptions.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 2:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by wheresmybagba
8 segments max as a rule (and 4 in each direction) has been around for a long time now...but sometimes the agent or ticketing desk will let through exceptions.
exceptions particularly if you CAN'T reach your destination in 4 segments (maybe due to domestic connections in USA for example). I know Tommyleo has also had success with more segments, but he does have status on US.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 7:46 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
Just booked:
BRU-ZRH-PVG-AKL (LX C/LX C on A340/NZ C on 777) stopover
AKL-SYD (NZ C on 777) destination
SYD-BKK (TG C on 747-400) one night in Bangkok (<24 hour)
BKK-HKG-FRA-BRU (TG C on A330/LH C on 747-400/LH C)

120K miles and 200 EUR in taxes.

Not the most direct routing, but this was not an issue.
6 hour layover in PVG & HKG

Not sure about the quality of the seats on the TG C and LH C long distance flights. LX C and NZ C should be pretty ok..

I didn't try to go over the 8 segment limit..

Last edited by fets_be; Aug 2, 2012 at 8:35 am Reason: (8 segment limit comment added)
Old Aug 2, 2012, 12:48 pm

have 4 legs for my parents on swiss in F (booked while still available)....just noticed that on their feeder flight a C class opened up (AC lga-yul, currently booked on AC ewr-yul in Y) ....

i know that this is a very open ended questions...but what is a likely hood that a reservations agent will screw up a reservation and drop the LX F segments..have a feeling that the seats will be impossible to get once that happens...i have read some horrible stories on here...the trip is in few days

any tips on how to avoid that? use of correct vocabulary when instructing agents?..
Old Aug 2, 2012, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by divjan
have 4 legs for my parents on swiss in F (booked while still available)....just noticed that on their feeder flight a C class opened up (AC lga-yul, currently booked on AC ewr-yul in Y) ....

i know that this is a very open ended questions...but what is a likely hood that a reservations agent will screw up a reservation and drop the LX F segments..have a feeling that the seats will be impossible to get once that happens...i have read some horrible stories on here...the trip is in few days

any tips on how to avoid that? use of correct vocabulary when instructing agents?..
I would steer clear of a change - just in case it gets mucked up.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 3:56 pm

Programs: LH FTL,Hyatt Platinum,BMI Silver
Well, what do you think, is it still worth it to buy Dividend Miles? It used to be much more attractive in the past..We have already reached a level of 1750,-bucks by using one of the hundered percent bonus promotions to buy 100k miles. It used to be cheaper in the past. And they used to have more available connections in C- and F-class as well. Nowadays you must be satisfied when you get one available connection in premium cabin and you often cannot be that exigent or demanding anymore. In the meantime it has become very difficult to get seats in premium cabin for LH and LX. I was told that a filter software apparently has been introduced by US. I am interested in your opinon. Concerning SQ- bookings it is currently not forseeable, if SQ will ever reopen their award inventory and offer some award seats in the future (apart from some regional flights and services in A-333 or B-772 eqipment).

I was told that this wont happen in the next 12 month or so... And my other question is, as far as I have read and understood the T+C, for a journey from the US to Asia, I still have the choice, weather to fly eastbound or westbound, right? That means that one stopover in Europe can still be made at anytime with no additional costs or any trouble. And does it still depend on the agent, how strict they are , concerning the rule of the selection of the "most direct route" ? I mean for me US DM remains one option for travel among many others....
Old Aug 2, 2012, 4:05 pm

I think Russia now belongs entirely to Europe in the US-DM award chart?
Old Aug 2, 2012, 4:13 pm

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by kaninchen
I think Russia now belongs entirely to Europe in the US-DM award chart?
Is that a statement or a question?
Old Aug 2, 2012, 4:27 pm

Well, it is a question as I couldn´t find it listed in the award chart. However, my feeling says that it belongs to Europe and the good old days are definitely over...
Old Aug 2, 2012, 4:34 pm

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Russia was moved from North Asia to Europe, yes.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 7:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite for Life, AA Platinum, United Gold
I just booked US with Star*. I was on the phone for maybe 20 minutes and the agent basically asked me where I wanted to go. So I took IAD-BRU-Tel Aviv. I am taking a 9 day stop over in BRU where I will spend 2 nights. Head over to London for a few days and maybe Malta. I then fly to Israel on SN and home on SN/UA. SN is sort of sucky for business class, but for 120k each for myself and my daughter plus $300 in taxes and fees is a pretty good deal. I was short 32k miles so I used the new US promotion and topped up my miles for $600. Business on UA will be very nice - I just flew a UA 777 from BRU-IAD on a business trip and sat facing the rear. It was a pretty nice.

Since I am also Marriott Platinum. I used the Marriott travel package and get one free week of hotel. I am using that in Tel Aviv where the rates are about $315 US per night. Overall I think I got a pretty sweet deal. I did a quick price check on UA and it looks like the seats would have cost me 4k each. I get to visit my fave city in Europe (BRU) and eat the five main food groups; chocolate, beer, frites, waffles and mussels! I can't wait!
Old Aug 3, 2012, 10:28 am

Programs: US Chairman, Marriott Platinum, PCR Platinum, and SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mgold9
I just booked US with Star*. I was on the phone for maybe 20 minutes and the agent basically asked me where I wanted to go. So I took IAD-BRU-Tel Aviv. I am taking a 9 day stop over in BRU where I will spend 2 nights. Head over to London for a few days and maybe Malta. I then fly to Israel on SN and home on SN/UA. SN is sort of sucky for business class, but for 120k each for myself and my daughter plus $300 in taxes and fees is a pretty good deal. I was short 32k miles so I used the new US promotion and topped up my miles for $600. Business on UA will be very nice - I just flew a UA 777 from BRU-IAD on a business trip and sat facing the rear. It was a pretty nice.

Since I am also Marriott Platinum. I used the Marriott travel package and get one free week of hotel. I am using that in Tel Aviv where the rates are about $315 US per night. Overall I think I got a pretty sweet deal. I did a quick price check on UA and it looks like the seats would have cost me 4k each. I get to visit my fave city in Europe (BRU) and eat the five main food groups; chocolate, beer, frites, waffles and mussels! I can't wait!
Nice. IAD-BRU seems to have good award availability.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 11:24 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, IC Ambassador, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum
I am looking for some nice flights for early next year from Europe to Japan.

Can somebody please let me know if the following routing is possible and how many miles it would cost in F?

NUE-FRA-BKK-KIX - all on TG except NUE-FRA is on LH - no stopover
NRT-BKK-CDG-FRA-NUE - all on TG except CDG-FRA-NUE on LH - no stopover

Thanks!
Old Aug 3, 2012, 11:50 am

Programs: US Silver, UA Plat, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by divjan

I have 3 LX F legs on an upcoming reservation that has 8 total legs. I switched 2 of the non LX flights to SQ on the recent bonanza. I called the preferred desk and was *VERY* clear that I only wanted to change 2 of the flights and identified the exact flights I wanted to switch on at least three different occasions, once at the beginning of the call, again once my reservation was pulled, and again prior to the agent making any changes. Worked out fine. I knew it was a bit of a risk, but figured it was worth it for getting SQ F for two legs. I probably would not do it in your case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.