Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2012, 12:08 pm

Programs: US Silver, UA Plat, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by spacefugitive
Thank you for your response. Unfortunately the ANA tool now shows no biz availability on the SFO-NRT route the day I wanted to travel.
Try SEA-NRT, ORD-NRT, SEA-ICN, etc. There's always a way...
Old Jul 26, 2012, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by jmk2135
Try SEA-NRT, ORD-NRT, SEA-ICN, etc. There's always a way...
I already looked at SEA and ORD. DFW to SEA or ORD have no award opening that get there in time for the next flight. I will try SEA-ICN.

BTW, I have got 2 difference responses as to what is the minimum transit time. One agent said it was 60 mins, the other said it was 55 mins. Which one is correct?
Old Jul 26, 2012, 1:33 pm

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
Originally Posted by mrredskin
is anyone having any luck finding UA F (or anything else) to Europe for next May or June? I've found maybe two or three dates to one or two cities across each month. Or has it all simply not been loaded, yet?
anyone?

edit: I've checked again, and there are a few more populating, but practically everything, if available is only on a Wednesday. Nothing on a Sunday or Monday in June

Last edited by mrredskin; Jul 26, 2012 at 1:54 pm
Old Jul 26, 2012, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by spacefugitive
I already looked at SEA and ORD. DFW to SEA or ORD have no award opening that get there in time for the next flight. I will try SEA-ICN.
Try LAX-PEK (CA), SFO-KIX/PVG (UA)...
Old Jul 27, 2012, 7:33 am

Programs: Aeroplan
I'm planning our first redemption ever with US. The routing will be something like YVR-CDG (stop)-SGN (dest)-YVR. Do you think this routing can be approved ?

We have things to do in CDG and SGN. Since we'd like to minimize flight time, being able to go to SGN via Europe and back to YVR via North Asia would be perfect but I'm not sure if this kind of routing has been accepted before. I can imagine a route from YYZ or YUL is perfectly fine but here we're located in YVR.
Thanks.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by choupeo
I'm planning our first redemption ever with US. The routing will be something like YVR-CDG (stop)-SGN (dest)-YVR. Do you think this routing can be approved ?

We have things to do in CDG and SGN. Since we'd like to minimize flight time, being able to go to SGN via Europe and back to YVR via North Asia would be perfect but I'm not sure if this kind of routing has been accepted before. I can imagine a route from YYZ or YUL is perfectly fine but here we're located in YVR.
Thanks.
I've booked two SEA-HKG awards that routed through FRA.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 8:57 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Titanium
Awards to Lima, Peru

Searched this thread but did not find much discussion on awards to SA; looking into flying from NYC to Lima in particular, in November. US appears to have no award seats on this route, *A partner only. *A awards are priced at 60k to SA. That's 20k more than what it costs to redeem through United. I don't like the idea of throwing away 20k miles and am contemplating getting a Sapphire Preferred card for the 40k UR points that I could transfer to United, unless I'm missing something here?
Old Jul 27, 2012, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AirD0c
Searched this thread but did not find much discussion on awards to SA; looking into flying from NYC to Lima in particular, in November. US appears to have no award seats on this route, *A partner only. *A awards are priced at 60k to SA. That's 20k more than what it costs to redeem through United. I don't like the idea of throwing away 20k miles and am contemplating getting a Sapphire Preferred card for the 40k UR points that I could transfer to United, unless I'm missing something here?
You're not missing anything. Different mileage plans price the same awards differently. As you've found out, *A North America->South America in coach isn't one of the US redemptions that has a ton of value compared to other programs. There are other awards that are better on US than UA.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 9:10 am

Programs: US Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by AirD0c
Sometimes UA's chart is better, somethime the US chart is better. I would agree that for this route, UA miles would be better to use.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 12:29 pm

I have a reservation that includes LX53 BOS-ZRH in C. They just canceled that flight on 12/24. Of course US hasn't contacted me about this, but that's besides the point. The only LX flight into ZRH with open seats is from MIA. However nothing from PHL-MIA is open. I would like to take LX15 from JFK-ZRH instead. Has anybody had any luck getting US to either open up space on their own flights (here PHL-MIA) or contacting LX to open up space(JFK-ZRH)?

When I tried calling last night, I was told they would not call LX to try to get inventory opened up. She just wanted to route me on PHL-MUC-ZRH, with the first leg on US. As I have a separate paid reservation on KL from ZRH-AMS, I really don't want to connect in Europe to ZRH, for fear of my KL ticket getting canceled.

I could take AC from YYZ-ZRH or LX from JFK-GVA-ZRH, but I don't like those options. Any chance I get them to change my stopover from ZRH to AMS? Thoughts?
Old Jul 28, 2012, 1:01 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by gwar69
I have a reservation that includes LX53 BOS-ZRH in C. They just canceled that flight on 12/24. Of course US hasn't contacted me about this, but that's besides the point. The only LX flight into ZRH with open seats is from MIA. However nothing from PHL-MIA is open. I would like to take LX15 from JFK-ZRH instead. Has anybody had any luck getting US to either open up space on their own flights (here PHL-MIA) or contacting LX to open up space(JFK-ZRH)?
I have had luck getting US to open space on its own domestic flight to connect to an international flight on a *A carrier. They put me on hold, called the revenue desk, and then booked me into Y (despite I was redeeming for a C reward.) So this is possible although you may not get the class of service you prefer.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 1:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Has anybody had any luck getting US to either open up space on their own flights (here PHL-MIA) or contacting LX to open up space(JFK-ZRH)??
You are far likelier to have US open up a seat on their own metal vs. calling another airline.

Also, what is the correlation between having your KL reservation cancelled and connecting Europe or not???
Old Jul 28, 2012, 2:59 pm

Programs: US Chairman, Marriott Platinum, PCR Platinum, and SPG Gold
Originally Posted by geo1005
You are far likelier to have US open up a seat on their own metal vs. calling another airline.

Also, what is the correlation between having your KL reservation cancelled and connecting Europe or not???
I thought this was the case but UA recently cancelled a flight on my US award reservation. US told me that there was no award inventory on the flights I wanted to reschedule on.

I called UA 3 times and finally got someone who took the ticket over from US to UA and then opened up revenue seats for me.

I would call Swiss agents at different hours of the day until you get one that will help you.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 3:00 pm

Programs: US Chairman, Marriott Platinum, PCR Platinum, and SPG Gold

When I tried calling last night, I was told they would not call LX to try to get inventory opened up. She just wanted to route me on PHL-MUC-ZRH, with the first leg on US. As I have a separate paid reservation on KL from ZRH-AMS, I really don't want to connect in Europe to ZRH, for fear of my KL ticket getting canceled.

I could take AC from YYZ-ZRH or LX from JFK-GVA-ZRH, but I don't like those options. Any chance I get them to change my stopover from ZRH to AMS? Thoughts?
It's worth calling LX. I'd try several agents until you get the result you want or get exhausted.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by geo1005
My thoughts are most TATL eastbound flights land betwen 8-11 AM. If I land in ZRH then, great. If I land in MUC or GVA then, there is additional time for the connection and I will arrive in ZRH later. My KL flight isn't until 2:00 PM, so I guess there is some wiggle room. That's why I bought KL vs LX, since the LX flight is at 12:30.

Also something I didn't mention is my brother had a Y ticket via UA miles on the canceled flight too. If I can get us onto the same TATL into ZRH, then we each only have 1 connection to AMS, as his ticket is just PDX-AMS-PDX so his ZRH-AMS flight is included, as opposed to mine which is PHL-ZRH-SIN-PHL. We don't really need to be on the same flight, but I thought it could be cool and I could guest him into the lounge in JFK/BOS/MIA/wherever.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.