Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2012, 10:23 am

Programs: Former Dividend Miles Chairman's, Marriott Rewards
Interesting DM Comment on Making LH Award Rez

I found the appropriate, available flights in LH Business on ANA and called the DM center for the redemption. I gave her the flight nos. and she said to hold on a moment so she could log on to Air Canada and check the inventory.

She then confirmed availability and booked.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 11:05 am

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Plat; no plans for chasing any more airline status.
Originally Posted by TPA us ff
I found the appropriate, available flights in LH Business on ANA and called the DM center for the redemption. I gave her the flight nos. and she said to hold on a moment so she could log on to Air Canada and check the inventory.

She then confirmed availability and booked.
Whooooa!! What would have happened if it was LH F? Hahaha
Old Aug 9, 2012, 11:12 am

Programs: Former Dividend Miles Chairman's, Marriott Rewards
One agent told me that a memo went out some months ago directing that LH F was never to be booked with DM. The agent said she could get fired for attempting a manual sell, which says to me that it is still possible but no one is willing to do it.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
upset LH executives who didn't like how easy it is to get 6 or 7 digit mileage balances on US (for relatively piddling amounts of cash) that sucked up all the LH F *A inventory. Thus LH changed their availability and leaned on their alliance partner hard about this (public statements on not liking US selling miles made at *A MegaDos, for instance).
I wonder, though, if anyone has any real insight on this... one assumes US must somehow pay their *A partners for the F seats sucked up with their miles. If, say, Airline X could somehow devaluate the "real" price of their miles it would seem that the other *A members would have foreseen such a possibility and priced a seat in terms of $$ rather than miles.

Just seems more likely that US wasn't happy about reimbursing LX for pricey F seats and decided to stop offering them to their FF's.

But again, does anyone have any info as to how *A members work all this out?
Old Aug 10, 2012, 3:28 am

Programs: FB Gold
Just booked a very straightforward itinerary:
ZRH-FRA-BKK-MNL destination
MNL-BKK-FRA-ZRH
in TG First (hopefully on the A380!).
Very smooth booking process, I just gave segment by segment to the agent and got confirmed and ticketed within 30 minutes.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 3:54 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
One agent told me that a memo went out some months ago directing that LH F was never to be booked with DM. The agent said she could get fired for attempting a manual sell, which says to me that it is still possible but no one is willing to do it.
That is quite a statement
Old Aug 12, 2012, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Delta Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Tried to make a booking from MNL to ROR, available on United (operated by United for Air Micronesia, which was a subsidiary of Continental), agent could not see any availability, even when asking for random future flights.

It's able on United and on Ana for award redemption.

Any advice on how to book this ticket? The agent said they only have access to some of the inventory, and that's it.

Thank you.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 12:32 pm

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
That is quite a statement
But one that we have heard before. See post #11903:

Originally Posted by cactus_flyer
They said there was a written directive from Headquarters in Phoenix that no more long sells. I asked when this changed and the manager thinks it was sometimes in the second half last year. It's no long sells under any circumstance or it's a reason to get fired. They can only go through the interface.

After talking some time with the manager about maybe a technical glitch, she admitted that there are commercial reasons. The got "fined" too many times for doing a long sell. Don't know how LH could differentiate where it comes from - how about they had to pay out too much to LH for all those F tickets and they diced that's it, we'll block it.

Also talked to the technical support line and a supervisor there confirmed that everything works as it should and there is no technical glitch.

So clearly a StarNet blocking issue and no technical glitch.
(emphasis mine)
Old Aug 12, 2012, 3:16 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by lifeisart
Tried to make a booking from MNL to ROR, available on United (operated by United for Air Micronesia, which was a subsidiary of Continental), agent could not see any availability, even when asking for random future flights.

It's able on United and on Ana for award redemption.

Any advice on how to book this ticket?
Those flights are definitely eligible for *A redemption purposes.

For tips on dealing with Agents, who may claim otherwise, please see http://Help.KVSTool.com/#AgentSaysNo

[KVS Availability Tool 7.0.3/Diamond - SNT: Awards/StarAlliance/JP-ANA-SP1]
Code:
MNL  Manila Ninoy Aquino Intl PH [RPLL]
ROR  Babeldaob/Babelthuap/Koror/Airai Roman Tmetuchl Intl PW [PTRO]
TUE  18 Sep 2012 | 1 Seat

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  -------------
UA         192     MNL   21:45     ROR   01:30 +1  738  0   FS/  CS-  YS+
[KVS Availability Tool 7.0.3/Diamond - ITA: Awards/AC-StarAlliance/CA]
Code:

---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  ------------
UA/UA      192     MNL   21:45     ROR   01:30 +1  738  0   YS+
Old Aug 12, 2012, 3:24 pm

Thank you so much. I know they are available, but US Airways can't see them. I called 3 times using segment by segment. I didn't refer to "long sell" by name, but the last agent seemed adamant they can't do that.... I guess I should try again except the flight departs in 3 hours and I have another reservation currently booked (wanted to rebook into a different class, of course I should have tried to rebook earlier but the availability was so spotty and the ticket was booked so last minute that I didn't want to change the ticket until I was sure) so I guess it is not worth messing around with.

Good to know for the future, as this particular leg seems to not be available for any of the future dates I inquired about. I wonder if United Air Micronesia flights are just all blocked from US Airways Dividend miles?

Originally Posted by KVS
Those flights are definitely eligible for *A redemption purposes.

For tips on dealing with Agents, who may claim otherwise, please see http://Help.KVSTool.com/#AgentSaysNo

[KVS Availability Tool 7.0.3/Diamond - SNT: Awards/StarAlliance/JP-ANA-SP1]
Code:

---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  -------------
UA         192     MNL   21:45     ROR   01:30 +1  738  0   FS/  CS-  YS+
[KVS Availability Tool 7.0.3/Diamond - ITA: Awards/AC-StarAlliance/CA]
Code:

---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  ------------
UA/UA      192     MNL   21:45     ROR   01:30 +1  738  0   YS+
Old Aug 12, 2012, 5:46 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by lifeisart
Thank you so much. I know they are available, but US Airways can't see them. I called 3 times using segment by segment. I didn't refer to "long sell" by name, but the last agent seemed adamant they can't do that.... I guess I should try again except the flight departs in 3 hours and I have another reservation currently booked (wanted to rebook into a different class, of course I should have tried to rebook earlier but the availability was so spotty and the ticket was booked so last minute that I didn't want to change the ticket until I was sure) so I guess it is not worth messing around with.

Good to know for the future, as this particular leg seems to not be available for any of the future dates I inquired about. I wonder if United Air Micronesia flights are just all blocked from US Airways Dividend miles?

I've made previous award bookings on United flights to Guam that would have been Continental Micronesia, pre-merger. I have also put a itinerary on hold, which included ROR-GUM, fully Air Mike IIRC.

Maybe you were just unlucky with your agent(s)?
Old Aug 12, 2012, 6:26 pm

Programs: US Chairman, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5S, Starwood Gold
Booked the following open jaw today for a trip next summer:

Outbound: CLT-ORD-PEK (Destination)
Inbound: HKG-ICN-JFK-CLT

Outbound is on US then UA in GlobalFirst
Return is OZ C, OZ F then US again

I'm pretty new to this and didn't have the stomach for trying for some of complex routings or specific suite offerings I see described on this thread, but I'm still pretty happy with it. I do have a few questions, if anybody can help.

1. Anybody know much about this thing they are calling GlobalFirst from ORD to PEK? I'm conditioned to not expect much from UA, but if the pictures I see for this online are accurate, it looks like it could be OK. Thoughts?

2. I have Chairman's status on US. If I do more research on here and find something I think is better (carrier, equipment, etc) do I even have the option of making changes or is that a non-starter.

3. Does anybody know much about the F offering on OZ between ICN and JFK? I did some simple research and saw details about a really nice F product they offer, but addtional reading after booking the tickets leads me to believe the ICN-JFK may be an older F product. Just curious if we should look to change that for something else. (Assuming changes are even a viable option.)
Old Aug 12, 2012, 9:31 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by LoLJammer
Booked the following open jaw today for a trip next summer:

Outbound: CLT-ORD-PEK (Destination)
Inbound: HKG-ICN-JFK-CLT

Outbound is on US then UA in GlobalFirst
Return is OZ C, OZ F then US again

I'm pretty new to this and didn't have the stomach for trying for some of complex routings or specific suite offerings I see described on this thread, but I'm still pretty happy with it. I do have a few questions, if anybody can help.

1. Anybody know much about this thing they are calling GlobalFirst from ORD to PEK? I'm conditioned to not expect much from UA, but if the pictures I see for this online are accurate, it looks like it could be OK. Thoughts?

2. I have Chairman's status on US. If I do more research on here and find something I think is better (carrier, equipment, etc) do I even have the option of making changes or is that a non-starter.

3. Does anybody know much about the F offering on OZ between ICN and JFK? I did some simple research and saw details about a really nice F product they offer, but addtional reading after booking the tickets leads me to believe the ICN-JFK may be an older F product. Just curious if we should look to change that for something else. (Assuming changes are even a viable option.)
GlobalFirst is the OLD UA first (4-5 yr old product AFAIK)
I flew to SYD on that first and since then several times from FRA to IAD
4 across - Single seats in the sides, 2 in the center with some isolation
Cathay same space - you get 3 across!
On Biz Cathay you get 4 across. while on UA you get 6 across!
Oh to think I had all these AA miles and used UA as it was a bit cheaper in miles.

BusinessFirst is their old CO product on Intl aircraf -lie flat
Business is their J on UA 3 cabin
First is just that at best domestically

You can change all you want at the same level, without redeposit
e.g., I booked a LH F award 2 yrs ago; 1 segment was in Y
Called and changed when space opened up - no problems -
just pay diff in fees.
ONCE travel begins as ou well know as a CP, NO changes at all.
(although once my brother arrived at LH EWR less than 1 hr before boarding and just missed the cutoff and they put him on a day later on a US award - but I think that was LH generosity than US)

Anything on OZ even an older bed IME is better than UA. Don't worry about it.

OZ, NH, CX, SQ - Man, I have wasted most of my miles on UA/US and LH (except LH F and FCT/FCL - that is no waste)

Last edited by ffI; Aug 12, 2012 at 9:43 pm
Old Aug 12, 2012, 9:41 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
HELP wanted US award to North Asia

I had read all of Lucky's blogs about the best premium cabin values and decided to burn my miles on a US 90k C North Asia award
IAD-ORD-PEK
PEK-FRA-DUB
DUB-FRA-IAD
Basically a North Asia award with a stopover in EU on the way back.
AFAIK from reading FT, this was a 90k award
I bought it (free cancels as CP) but I think I got overcharged at 100k
as I was stopping over in EU rather than 90k.

Any experts on US redemptions on this? I am no beginner, but I am not sure.
Please post and PM me to alert me.
I love US rules usually except for the no changes after travel begins.
I can get to DEL from WAS via PEK and BKK for 120k but this feels not correct.

I can go IAD-ICN-PEK AND PEK-BKK-FRA-IAD no stopovers for 90k
but not stop in EU without a 10k penalty?

While on this, I just flew IAD-DOH-MAA for 60k UA and PEK-BKK-FRA-IAD on UA for 70k, so I guess 100k US is OK, but still....
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:16 pm

Thank you so much for this data point.

I called 3 agents (I believe they were all different) and none could see the space. I'm not quite sure what the explanation is but glad to hear is not necessarily because it is on UA Micronesia. I do hope this is a small "glitch" as I do want to book this particular route next year.

Originally Posted by nicksname
I've made previous award bookings on United flights to Guam that would have been Continental Micronesia, pre-merger. I have also put a itinerary on hold, which included ROR-GUM, fully Air Mike IIRC.

Maybe you were just unlucky with your agent(s)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.