Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2012, 7:59 am

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by flyGreg
MEL-SIN-FRA(stopover)-JFK ... JFK-LAX-SYD-MEL

or if I go via Europe both ways :

MEL-SIN-FRA(stopover)-LAX (surface) ORD-FRA-SIN-MEL

thx !!
Australia - US East Cost will probably work both ways via Europe.
But Australia - US West Cost won't work both ways via Europe, als mileage exceeded (nearly double the miles than on the direct flight).

As already told, only one stopover or a open-jaw allowed per award!
Old Aug 16, 2012, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by goliath
And did she actually book LH F for you or did she just seem to be willing to do it? Big difference, methinks.
No, and you're right. There is a huge difference. I was just adding to the conversation.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by goliath

You can only see the bonus if your account has been targeted. Just click on "Buy Miles", then you get the 100% bonus - if you have been targeted.
Interesting. There is an 11 day 'wait' period I think before membership activiates, so wonder if all new members are offered it as a matter of course?
Old Aug 17, 2012, 1:50 am

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Originally Posted by ozstamps
Interesting. There is an 11 day 'wait' period I think before membership activiates, so wonder if all new members are offered it as a matter of course?
There's nothing to suggest new members would be targeted...the opposite is true in fact. The targeting specifically appears to relate to previous account activity (redeeming miles).
Old Aug 17, 2012, 4:22 am

Originally Posted by wheresmybagba
There's nothing to suggest new members would be targeted...the opposite is true in fact. The targeting specifically appears to relate to previous account activity (redeeming miles).
Not quite true.. my gf did get the offer as well - and she just started with GS last year, no redemption yet.

Last edited by ProfNapalm; Aug 17, 2012 at 4:24 am Reason: typo
Old Aug 17, 2012, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
the requirement is actually something like 'accounts less than 12 days old' can't buy miles (etc). This can translate to having to wait the full 12 days and being able to buy on day 13. Not much of an issue but some people have been caught when leaving joining until the last possible minute before a promo ends.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just a data point, only signed up a couple days ago as my old US Air card is lost in the mists of time.

A day later, out of interest went to BUY MILES and asked to buy 50,000 and had I added my card after first 4 or so steps, it appeared all ready to take my dough.

No 100% bonus of course, but it tested fine.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just a data point, only signed up a couple days ago as my old US Air card is lost in the mists of time.

A day later, out of interest went to BUY MILES and asked to buy 50,000 and had I added my card after first 4 or so steps, it appeared all ready to take my dough.

No 100% bonus of course, but it tested fine.
accounts less than 12 days old can still 'purchase' the miles... your CC will be debited with an authorisation for the full amount, but you'll never get the miles and even if you call US Air or points.com, they'll just advise you to wait until 12 days and buy again. The authorisation will drop off your CC as per your bank's policy (so 10 days or whatever).
Old Aug 17, 2012, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Gotcha. They work in mysterious ways it seems.

This is all about raising quick fast cash so at full price especially, odd they would care whether, 1, 5 or 10 or 20 days!
Old Aug 17, 2012, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Gotcha. They work in mysterious ways it seems.

This is all about raising quick fast cash so at full price especially, odd they would care whether, 1, 5 or 10 or 20 days!
agree - but they are against potential fraud - so disincentive for a dodgy travel agent to open an account for a client, buy an award ticket and charge full fare.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, I guess there is that side to it. An T.agent doing that would be in serious doo doo though if clients phoned US with any innocent query.

US would cancel the miles AND the tickets! Huge risk.

And flyer sues agent as a bonus.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, I guess there is that side to it. An T.agent doing that would be in serious doo doo though if clients phoned US with any innocent query.

US would cancel the miles AND the tickets! Huge risk.

And flyer sues agent as a bonus.
yes - but assuming they are a 'dodgy' agent - might be a bit hard to sue depending on which country they are located... and whether they are still there by the time you discover the mistake!

US is known for suspending accounts while they audit them if they see pax flying with names not the same as the account holder. Several reports of that here. And trying to contact US while the account is in audit is near impossible (they won't put you through to the audit team - so you're basically left high and dry till they get around to completing their investigation)
Old Aug 17, 2012, 1:13 pm

how much would it cost in us miles to go from lax to sgn or dad roundtrip?
Old Aug 17, 2012, 1:18 pm

Programs: US Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by webazoid
how much would it cost in us miles to go from lax to sgn or dad roundtrip?
Chart

Did you read post 1?
Old Aug 17, 2012, 2:44 pm

Programs: US Silver, UA Plat, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
LH F

Looks like Lucky was able to book LH F within t-2 weeks by playing agent roulette (see comment nos. 3-4)

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/onemil...-introduction/

Last edited by jmk2135; Aug 17, 2012 at 2:50 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.