Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2012, 12:43 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold, IC Ambassador, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by goliath
If US won't do anything, just leave it as it is. One misspelled character won't be a problem when travelling.
Are you sure this won't be a problem?
Do not want to be told at check in that I can't fly because my name differs from the one on the ticket...
Old Aug 6, 2012, 1:13 pm

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Mr. LAU
Are you sure this won't be a problem?
Do not want to be told at check in that I can't fly because my name differs from the one on the ticket...
If I remember correctly, IATA rules allow two (or even three?) incorrect letters in your naem*. Maybe someone with access to the IATA rules can quote the part in full.

* misspelling intended ;-)
Old Aug 6, 2012, 2:24 pm

Programs: US Silver, UA Plat, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by goliath
If US won't do anything, just leave it as it is. One misspelled character won't be a problem when travelling.
A few months ago, I booked a ticket for a family member and they omitted a letter from his last name. I caught it while still on the phone and the agent that made the mistake told me that she couldn't do anything about it without cancelling and reissuing the ticket (assuming award space still existed). The ticket crossed PVG and other airports where things could be awkward so I called back a day later. The second agent fixed the name without reissuing the ticket and was able to do so in about 2 minutes.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by ArizonaKudos
So I could in theory do the following:

HKG-HND

Destination

NRT-ICN-HKG

The wrinkle to this is that i would have to stay in ICN as I have an SQ award flight from ICN-SFO. I feel as though this would technically be a hidden city which I normally never do, but I don't know if US really cares since it is on an award ticket? Or if somehow the computer would see that I am on 2 flights at the same time going to different cities? I did originally try to get it all on one ticket, but it couldn't be done, and I don't really want anyone to touch that reservation and risk losing the SQ flight (which is in F). Any final help would be appreciated!
theoretically yes this would be possible, but you'd need to short check your bags and head through immigration in ICN to claim your bags and recheck. They won't interline in your case to the SFO flight.

I had significant problems with this a few years ago, arriving on a CX flight and then leaving ICN three hours later (again on CX - it was an immediate turn-around on back-to-back tickets, so transit was not an option as I had checked bags).

Immigration was fine... but the customs (border security) questioned me for about 20 minutes and did a full bag search, suspicious as to why I wanted to enter the country for such a short period. (I had all the supporting documentation but they didn't like it!)

It was nothing major... just had to let them do what they wanted to do...

Not saying this will happen to everyone, just it might happen.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 3:46 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by jmk2135
The second agent fixed the name without reissuing the ticket and was able to do so in about 2 minutes.
Yes, to change one or two single letters in the name should be possible with every booking system (without cancelling the itinerary). Of course, the ticket then needs to be reissued, but that should not be your problem as US misspelled your name... Call back and ask for supervisor!
Old Aug 6, 2012, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by ArizonaKudos
I'm trying to book the following

HKG-HND

Destination

NRT-ICN

I have made quite a few of these award booking and in my mind I saw this as an open jaw. However, the phone agent said this was considered one way and couldn't be booked. I don't see how this could be a one way given the stop in Tokyo, but even if it was I thought one way bookings were allowed? Any insight in to this would be appreciated.
Why not book:
HKG-HND
NRT-ICN-HKG and just throw the last leg away?
Old Aug 6, 2012, 6:43 pm

Programs: US Airways: CP Hilton HHonors: Diamond
Originally Posted by keirnna
Why not book:
HKG-HND
NRT-ICN-HKG and just throw the last leg away?
That's what I am most likely going to do but i'm trying to gauge if US will A) care that I have a hidden city and B) notice that I'm booked on two flights at the same time. One from ICN-HKG and my SQ award flight that I'm on to SFO.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 7:33 pm

Programs: HHonors, Starwood, Marriott, ANA, Thai, United, American, Delta
Starnet blocking or ????

Trying to book an award ticket flying

IAD -> NRT -> HKG (stopover) -> BKK (destination) -> NRT -> IAD

First call the agent found the flights which were a combo of UA, TG and NH. Had to put ticket on hold to try to find same flights for spouse w UA program. Ended up changing the dates (same route and airlines) and 2 US agents in a row cannot see the NH flights at all. We are flying in J which I thought was not being blocked like F.

Any ideas how to get this booked? They told us they won't long sell and the only flights that work for us include using NH for at least one leg and ANA is showing availability in J for our dates.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 7:37 pm

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Originally Posted by rosepoint

First call the agent found the flights which were a combo of UA, TG and NH. Had to put ticket on hold to try to find same flights for spouse w UA program. Ended up changing the dates (same route and airlines) and 2 US agents in a row cannot see the NH flights at all. We are flying in J which I thought was not being blocked like F.

Any ideas how to get this booked? They told us they won't long sell and the only flights that work for us include using NH for at least one leg and ANA is showing availability in J for our dates.
Do the NH flights show on UA.com...ANA might not be the best place to check Starnet availability for their own airline?

Also which NH sectors is it they can't see?
Old Aug 6, 2012, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite

US has had problems seeing NQ (Air Japan, NH subsidiary who flies NRT-HKG and BKK-NRT) segments.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 8:12 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium

Is your NH flight NRT-HKG? As eponymous_coward said, it is operated by Air Japan and US agent can't see it.

Alternatives:
- Fly NRT-HKG on UA
- Fly NRT-ICN-HKG on Asiana or Asiana/Thai
- Fly NRT-PEK-HKG on Air China or Air China/NH

I so wish US fixes the problem. It would have made my life so much easier.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)

this is not unusual. I have seen NH availability and US can't... last year I booked two tickets on the one call, same itinerary, one month apart. Identical availability showing on all the usual tools (ANA and UA and AC). US could see and book the first itinerary, but couldn't see the second.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 3:33 am

Programs: HHonors, Starwood, Marriott, ANA, Thai, United, American, Delta
The NH leg is NRT -> IAD.

Will try looking again in the UA tool but haven't found the best reliability there (they seem to show their own metal available then a call a minute later and they are saying the flights aren't really there).
Old Aug 7, 2012, 8:49 pm

Programs: SPG, HH, AA, UA, BD, Hyatt, TYP
Can anybody provide any recent updates regarding use of US for LH F? I am looking to fly out in a couple of days and there is plenty of LH F open to FRA. I haven't used any US miles in quite a while and am not up-to-date on the shenanigans at US.

Thanks!
Old Aug 7, 2012, 9:23 pm

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Originally Posted by halothane
Can anybody provide any recent updates regarding use of US for LH F? I am looking to fly out in a couple of days and there is plenty of LH F open to FRA. I haven't used any US miles in quite a while and am not up-to-date on the shenanigans at US.

Thanks!
There still haven't been any reports here of successful bookings at T-14 days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.