Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2012, 10:58 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by awaflyboy
Stay away from the UK, they have some of the highest departure taxes.
Only if departing from the UK after having been there for over 24 hours. For simple connections, you don't pay APD. Thus IAD-UA-LHR-TG-BKK wouldn't be bad in terms of UK taxes.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 11:08 am

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by kaipoman
JFK -> VIE OS88
VIE -> BCN OS391
BCN -> JFK via GVA LX1941, LX22

Assuming award space available (shows on United and Aeroplan as of today) any reason this routing wouldnt get approved?
No, you should be ok.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by goliath
No, you should be ok.
Super, thanks!
Old Aug 5, 2012, 2:03 pm

Seems like Asiana is also completely gone in F FRA-ICN. Plenty availability before, but now nothing.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 3:22 pm

Programs: US Chairman, Marriott Platinum, PCR Platinum, and SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Slipless
I have an award ticket with US and LH. Due to limited availability I have a return flight with quite a few connections BCN-FRA-BOS-PHL-SEA. However, looking at flight availability, it seems that LH releases additional award seats approx a week before the flights.

It is conceivable that FRA-PHL or even FRA-SEA flights becomes available on a short notice, but at that point I will already start my trip. How firm is US on the rule that "no changes once the trip starts"? Was anyone successful in changing the ticket under similar circumstances?
Firm. Only in extenuating circumstances will you be able to change once you're in the itinerary. Even then it is highly unlikely that you'll be successful.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 12:37 am

Programs: US Airways: CP Hilton HHonors: Diamond
I'm trying to book the following

HKG-HND

Destination

NRT-ICN

I have made quite a few of these award booking and in my mind I saw this as an open jaw. However, the phone agent said this was considered one way and couldn't be booked. I don't see how this could be a one way given the stop in Tokyo, but even if it was I thought one way bookings were allowed? Any insight in to this would be appreciated.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 12:42 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QR G, A3 G, EK G, IHG Amb, GHA Black, WOH LT something
Originally Posted by ArizonaKudos
I'm trying to book the following

HKG-HND

Destination

NRT-ICN

I have made quite a few of these award booking and in my mind I saw this as an open jaw. However, the phone agent said this was considered one way and couldn't be booked. I don't see how this could be a one way given the stop in Tokyo, but even if it was I thought one way bookings were allowed? Any insight in to this would be appreciated.
As long as for US airways HND and NRT are considered co terminals it should work. (i am not sure of that since CDG and ORY are not) But you shoudl call back and try again!
Old Aug 6, 2012, 1:02 am

Originally Posted by synd
As long as for US airways HND and NRT are considered co terminals it should work. (i am not sure of that since CDG and ORY are not) But you shoudl call back and try again!
I called back and was told that it wasn't valid because the mileage from ICN-HKG was more than NRT-ICN. Anybody have any other ideas? My only one is to book NRT-ICN-HKG but i'm not sure if that would be allowed since it is not the most direct routing, and there is a direct flight available (though I have done some wacky routings in the past).

Also HND and NRT are co-terminals if anyone is wondering.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 4:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
I called back and was told that it wasn't valid because the mileage from ICN-HKG was more than NRT-ICN. Anybody have any other ideas? My only one is to book NRT-ICN-HKG but i'm not sure if that would be allowed since it is not the most direct routing, and there is a direct flight available (though I have done some wacky routings in the past).

An open jaw is only allowed if the unflown leg is shorter than the shortest flown leg (if that makes sense)

So in your case the routing would not be allowed.

NRT-ICN-HKG is essentially a one way award, which is fine (same price a return though). However, stopovers are not permitted when travel is wholly within one award region. So it will be a case of YMMV.... try a couple agents to see if they let it slip through.

As for HND and NRT being co-terminals - yes they are... but I've had a couple of agents who swore they weren't! (and 40 minute phone calls to get it sorted out )
Old Aug 6, 2012, 5:07 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, IC Ambassador, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
number of miles: Airline partners award travel chart
NRT-BKK-CDG-FRA-NUE > Backtracking CDG-NUE... not sure if it will be approved...
No problems booking the flights concerning backtracking from CDG to NUE.
Tickets were issued without any problems - 100k miles in First (although I thought it might be 110k because of the routing through BKK)
Old Aug 6, 2012, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Mr. LAU
No problems booking the flights concerning backtracking from CDG to NUE.
Tickets were issued without any problems - 100k miles in First (although I thought it might be 110k because of the routing through BKK)

isn't life so much easier when you get a good agent
Old Aug 6, 2012, 9:29 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, IC Ambassador, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF

isn't life so much easier when you get a good agent
That's what I thought too - then, about two hours ago, I saw that they misspelled my name by one character.

Called the service center and they said they could not change the existing booking. All they could do is cancel and rebook - unfortunately two of the segments are not available in First now anymore and they could not guarantee that they will be available again after cancelling the old booking...

Any thoughts / ideas about what to do now???
Old Aug 6, 2012, 9:34 am

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Mr. LAU
That's what I thought too - then, about two hours ago, I saw that they misspelled my name by one character.
[...]
Any thoughts / ideas about what to do now???
If US won't do anything, just leave it as it is. One misspelled character won't be a problem when travelling.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 10:34 am

Programs: AS AA

ANA's NRT-HKG flights are operated by Air Japan, which US Airways can't see anyway. You should be fine booking NRT-ICN-HKG. Just make sure your baggage be checked to ICN if you do have one.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
An open jaw is only allowed if the unflown leg is shorter than the shortest flown leg (if that makes sense)

So in your case the routing would not be allowed.

NRT-ICN-HKG is essentially a one way award, which is fine (same price a return though). However, stopovers are not permitted when travel is wholly within one award region. So it will be a case of YMMV.... try a couple agents to see if they let it slip through.

As for HND and NRT being co-terminals - yes they are... but I've had a couple of agents who swore they weren't! (and 40 minute phone calls to get it sorted out )
So I could in theory do the following:

HKG-HND

Destination

NRT-ICN-HKG

The wrinkle to this is that i would have to stay in ICN as I have an SQ award flight from ICN-SFO. I feel as though this would technically be a hidden city which I normally never do, but I don't know if US really cares since it is on an award ticket? Or if somehow the computer would see that I am on 2 flights at the same time going to different cities? I did originally try to get it all on one ticket, but it couldn't be done, and I don't really want anyone to touch that reservation and risk losing the SQ flight (which is in F). Any final help would be appreciated!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.