Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2012, 12:35 am

ANA shows 4 seats available but US CSR can't see anything?

I'm trying to redeem an award where the first leg is HGH-TPE on 10/6. ANA shows 4 seats available on CA but when I call US, multiple agents tell me that they cannot see it in their system. Anyone know what's going on here? What can I do to get on this flight?
Old Aug 8, 2012, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by halothane
Can anybody provide any recent updates regarding use of US for LH F? I am looking to fly out in a couple of days and there is plenty of LH F open to FRA. I haven't used any US miles in quite a while and am not up-to-date on the shenanigans at US.

Thanks!
Originally Posted by wheresmybagba
There still haven't been any reports here of successful bookings at T-14 days.
as stated - but it can't hurt to call and ask - might just be your lucky day
Old Aug 8, 2012, 5:11 am

US can't see SQ domestic C flights?

Has anybody experienced something similar?
I tried to book an award on SQ in C on the route SIN-CAI or also JED-SIN / SIN-JED.

Different agents say...they can't see the flight at all. So they can't even say something about the availablility...because they say the think doesn't exist.

SIN-CAI (via DXB) and SIN-JED is operated with an A330. So there shouldn't be a problem with StarNet blocking.

Anybody has an idea how to get these flights on an US award?
Old Aug 8, 2012, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by CleverK1
Has anybody experienced something similar?
I tried to book an award on SQ in C on the route SIN-CAI or also JED-SIN / SIN-JED.

Different agents say...they can't see the flight at all. So they can't even say something about the availablility...because they say the think doesn't exist.

SIN-CAI (via DXB) and SIN-JED is operated with an A330. So there shouldn't be a problem with StarNet blocking.

Anybody has an idea how to get these flights on an US award?
How about SIN-BKK-CAI on Egypt Air?
Old Aug 8, 2012, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by flashware
How about SIN-BKK-CAI on Egypt Air?
You rly want to offer an Egypt Air flight to sbdy wanting to find seats on Singapore? No way ?
Old Aug 8, 2012, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ProfNapalm
You rly want to offer an Egypt Air flight to sbdy wanting to find seats on Singapore? No way ?
sure why not?? business class on egyptair is probably better in a some respects. you'd get full flat beds, PJs and catering from the same biz class kitchen as Thai in Bangkok. plus a nice amenity kits and the IFE's supposedly not too bad. with sq you get and angled seat and good service, but no amenity kit, no PJs etc.

why not fly ms?
Old Aug 8, 2012, 7:37 am

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by halothane
Can anybody provide any recent updates regarding use of US for LH F? I am looking to fly out in a couple of days and there is plenty of LH F open to FRA. I haven't used any US miles in quite a while and am not up-to-date on the shenanigans at US.

Thanks!
If you would just had read the last 10 pages then you would have got your question answered!

Is it really necessary, that the same question shows up here every few days?
Old Aug 8, 2012, 7:44 am

While I wouldn't mind flying MS, I can't take SIN-BKK-CAI because my itinery would run out of the 8 segments max idea. Open jaw from KUL isn't an option either, as I have a stopover in my itinery as well.
But thanks for your idea.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CleverK1
While I wouldn't mind flying MS, I can't take SIN-BKK-CAI because my itinery would run out of the 8 segments max idea. Open jaw from KUL isn't an option either, as I have a stopover in my itinery as well.
But thanks for your idea.
you can always try for 5 segments. they might just allow it on MS given the wide open availability.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by jlin17
I'm trying to redeem an award where the first leg is HGH-TPE on 10/6. ANA shows 4 seats available on CA but when I call US, multiple agents tell me that they cannot see it in their system. Anyone know what's going on here? What can I do to get on this flight?
OK, so I called CA and spoke with one of their CSR who confirmed that they were seats available to *A. He even advised me to tell the US CSR to book it as manually book as X-class and CA will confirm. However, again multiple US CSR say the flight doesn't exist in their system, and they repeatedly say that nothing can be done if they can't see it even if they can see that the flight exists on www.staralliance.com. Is this an example of Starnet blocking? Is this a lost cause? Should I just give up on booking this segment and buy the ticket?
Old Aug 8, 2012, 11:37 am

Programs: HHonors, Starwood, Marriott, ANA, Thai, United, American, Delta
Same issue with ANA flights

OK, so I called CA and spoke with one of their CSR who confirmed that they were seats available to *A. He even advised me to tell the US CSR to book it as manually book as X-class and CA will confirm. However, again multiple US CSR say the flight doesn't exist in their system, and they repeatedly say that nothing can be done if they can't see it even if they can see that the flight exists on www.staralliance.com. Is this an example of Starnet blocking? Is this a lost cause? Should I just give up on booking this segment and buy the ticket?

Let us know if you manage to book these seats. I'm trying to get an ANA flight between IAD and NRT. Shows available award seats on ANA and UA sites but US can't see the flight at all. Trying to decide if we move points from AmEx to ANA to get the flight or just fly different dates on UA metal and meet up somewhere. We are trying to use our US points and save AmEx for a rainy day.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by ejh25
I was actually able to get BA and US to get the tickets back in order but I am curious about the EU comp given where the origin and destinations are on my itinerary.

On another US mileage award, UA just canceled my IAD-DME flight on 8/30. I kicked and screamed to get re-accommodated on another UA flight two weeks prior. Unfortunately our Russian visas have to be reissued at a nice $170 a pop. Should I file a complaint with UA? Anyone else?
I have a similar situation on a biz award booking with BMI which has caught a snag with US as well. What did you have to do to get US and BA to get the tickets resolved?

US has told me that I can't fly the BD segment (now BA segment) as BA is not part of star alliance. They say that BA reissued the ticket as a paid ticket not an award ticket and now US would be on the hook for the cost of a full coach fare. I explained that this sounds like an issue which US and BA need to resolve amongst themselves as I am holding a confirmed ticket, but the agent refused to listen. They want to rebook elsewhere on star but there is no biz availability.

I politely excused myself and hung up so could review alternate options if needed. Needless to say biz availability is scarce.

What are my options in forcing US to accept the BD/BA booking. These were booked and confirmed long before the merger and my BD PNR is still showing everything is fine, no changes. Unable to login and see my US PNR.

Award is a flight from Middle East-LHR on BD(BA) connecting to a UA flight to the states.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 12:25 pm

Programs: AS AA
Someone already posted that US could not see CA's HGH-TPE and CTU-TPE for award travel. However, PVG-TPE was available last time I checked. You may try other one-stop routing such as HGH-(ICN, NRT)-TPE, or fly PVG-TPE.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I doubt it's Starnet blocking per se; it's not like there's a horde of FTers trying to book CA flights in coach in China the same way FTers were booking LH F- something that costs US a lot of cash, and upset LH executives who didn't like how easy it is to get 6 or 7 digit mileage balances on US (for relatively piddling amounts of cash) that sucked up all the LH F *A inventory. Thus LH changed their availability and leaned on their alliance partner hard about this (public statements on not liking US selling miles made at *A MegaDos, for instance).

I suspect (but can't prove, this is just based on chatter here from informed sources, plus some of my own experiences) that it's more like US, like UA post 3/3, is using a SHARES system for ticketing that's the airline equivalent of stone knives and bearskins, where things don't always work right, and the dictate from On High that seems to be the agreement between LH and US is Thou Shalt Not Perform The Manual Sell when "computer says no" (basically, if what the computer thinks as far as available award inventory is out of sync with reality, you're not allowed to fix it). I can tell you from personal experience that long before LH/LX F was effectively blocked from redemption I had problems getting LH regional flight award inventory in Y "seen" on US, on the same itinerary I had LX F flights (so it's not like US was really saving a lot of money by "Starnet blocking" something from me).

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Aug 8, 2012 at 12:52 pm
Old Aug 8, 2012, 8:20 pm

Programs: US Chairman, Marriott Platinum, PCR Platinum, and SPG Gold
Originally Posted by FLLDL
I have a similar situation on a biz award booking with BMI which has caught a snag with US as well. What did you have to do to get US and BA to get the tickets resolved?

US has told me that I can't fly the BD segment (now BA segment) as BA is not part of star alliance. They say that BA reissued the ticket as a paid ticket not an award ticket and now US would be on the hook for the cost of a full coach fare. I explained that this sounds like an issue which US and BA need to resolve amongst themselves as I am holding a confirmed ticket, but the agent refused to listen. They want to rebook elsewhere on star but there is no biz availability.

I politely excused myself and hung up so could review alternate options if needed. Needless to say biz availability is scarce.

What are my options in forcing US to accept the BD/BA booking. These were booked and confirmed long before the merger and my BD PNR is still showing everything is fine, no changes. Unable to login and see my US PNR.

Award is a flight from Middle East-LHR on BD(BA) connecting to a UA flight to the states.
I feel your pain. Glad you hung up. What they told you is completely bogus!

Does your BD/BA PNR still show biz class? Make sure of this. Mine was downgraded. I would keep calling US air back until you get the right agent. Direct the US Air Agent to BMI's webpage regarding Star Alliance award tickets.

Tell them that BMI has agreed to honor all tickets booked and ticketed prior to 5/31/2012. If the agent does not reissue...hang up and call again. You'll eventually find an agent who understands the situation. I find that calling morning EST gets you the more experienced agents (could just be my experience).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.