Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2012, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by slowly
A while ago I booked YYZ-PHL-CDG return for the next winter, operated by Air Wisconsin/US, at Off-peak saver rates. Now the schedules have changed slightly and "I don't accept these changes / Accept changes" button shows on the reservation.

What are my chances of calling and getting direct YYZ-CDG AC operated flights instead (award availability permitting) without repricing?
If it's only a 5-10 minute schedule change, then unlikely. How much has the schedule changed?
Old Jul 30, 2012, 2:15 pm

Programs: MR Ag, LH FTL
20 min. Would it be possible if the changes was more significant or going from US off-peak to StarAlliance always requires repricing?
Old Jul 30, 2012, 4:36 pm

Programs: US Chairman, Marriott Platinum, PCR Platinum, and SPG Gold
20 min. Would it be possible if the changes was more significant or going from US off-peak to StarAlliance always requires repricing?
Call and ask but for a 20 min time change, it's hard to make your case. Even if they re-price it might be worth it. Depending how long your trip is, the connections can eat into your vacation time and exhaust u.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I would think they will reprice it, as US has to cut a check to AC for any award booking using AC flights, but they don't have to cut a check to themselves for their own flights- which is why the US offpeak awards are cheaper than *A awards...
Old Jul 31, 2012, 7:22 am

Programs: US Dividend Miles
A while ago I booked YYZ-PHL-CDG return for the next winter, operated by Air Wisconsin/US, at Off-peak saver rates. Now the schedules have changed slightly and "I don't accept these changes / Accept changes" button shows on the reservation.

What are my chances of calling and getting direct YYZ-CDG AC operated flights instead (award availability permitting) without repricing?
Off-peak saver meaning 35k Y / 60k C? Believe that's on US metal only, if I'm not mistaken. But if that's not the case, please correct me - would love to go overseas on LH for 60k in C!
Old Jul 31, 2012, 7:38 am

Programs: US Chairman, Marriott Platinum, PCR Platinum, and SPG Gold
Originally Posted by shaggy_mutt
Off-peak saver meaning 35k Y / 60k C? Believe that's on US metal only, if I'm not mistaken. But if that's not the case, please correct me - would love to go overseas on LH for 60k in C!
It's US metal only.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 8:15 am

Programs: UA 1K, NW PE, Marriott GE
Originally Posted by vysean
All You Need to Know About Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Miles

[*]An award booking can contain a maximum of ten segments.*[*]Mileage is charged based on the most "expensive" transited region.*
After reading the first and last 10 pages of this thread, I am still somewhat confused on the routing rules for award ticket... Your feedback would be welcome :-)

I am trying to get from HKG to the US via Europe. I am actually SIN based, however I only have enough for a 90k mile J ticket out of North Asia and not for the 120k out of SIN.

Having done my homework, I spoke with a very nice agent at US, who confirmed availability on all the following segments: HKG-SIN-IST (12 hour mini-sightseeing stop)-ATH (stopover)-PHL-SFO (destination) -PEK-SIN-HKG.

Then, when she tried to "price" this, she came back after a long hold; She was trying her best but said this could not get the system to accept this because the routing exceeded the "maximum of 4 segments on the outbound". So asked her to change it to HKG-IST-... instead of HKG-SIN-IST... and that worked. She put the reservation was on hold (I could see it online), however she said this would be 120k miles because i pass through SIN on the way back to HKG. After changing ...-SFO-PEK-SIN-HKG to ...-SFO-YVR-HKG, it priced out at 90k.

While i am already quite happy with the routing, i would prefer to go through SIN. Hence my questions before I get this issued:
* Is there a 4 segment maximum of for both the outbound and the return or is it 8 segments overall?
* Would routing through SIN on the way back to HKG indeed cause this to price at 120k miles instead of 90k miles? Not quite sure how to interpret the quoted statement in this context: "Mileage is charged based on the most "expensive" transited region". Realize i may be pushing my luck a bit with this routing...

Thanks for your advice :-)
Old Jul 31, 2012, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by rayoflight
I am actually SIN based
While i am already quite happy with the routing, i would prefer to get off the plane in SIN and leave the last award segment unflown on a hidden city routing.
FYP. We're not rookies here.

My guess is that SFO-PEK-SIN-HKG isn't anything remotely close to a *A published routing for SFO-HKG- you could probably get away with SFO-PEK/ICN/TYO/KIX-HKG no problem, but going PEK, then SIN, then HKG adds over 3,000 miles to the nonstop.

You can use the *A routing tool on the *A website, plug in two cities, and it will show you routings. This will give you a good idea of routings that US won't consider very outlandish- for instance, Europe-BKK-HKG will show as a listed routing, so there's usually not a problem routing a North Asia award to HKG through BKK. I believe US uses this tool to help suggest routings...

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Jul 31, 2012 at 9:29 am
Old Jul 31, 2012, 10:22 am

Does the computer auto-price an award or the agent?
Old Jul 31, 2012, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by michael_v
Does the computer auto-price an award or the agent?
From my experience, they seem to just put in A and B in the system and it comes up with the amount of miles, the actual route taken from A to B does not affect the pricing unless the agent actually pays attention to it.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 3:12 pm

Programs: US Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Other than the taxes and $75 last minute fee are there any issues in booking a award that leaves in <24 hours? Found a flight on KVS leaves tomorrow and the return is open as well.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 3:44 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Realize i may be pushing my luck a bit with this routing...
Which US Airways call center did you call? Call centers outside the US are usually more compatible and will more likely follow through with the restrictions.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 5:22 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold
After flicking through the Dividend Miles pages and membership, I can't seem to find anything which defines the countries/territories within each region. Being a big fan of "creative" routing, a document containing this list would be extremely helpful. Not to mention the ease at which we could point to this document when a CSR prices an award flight incorrectly.

The closest thing to such a list that I can find is on the Partner Award Travel and Star Alliance Award Upgrade documents. The documents define the regions as:

B) North Asia includes Afghanistan, China, Hong Kong, Japan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Macau, Mongolia, Russia, South Korea, Taiwan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, and Uzbekistan
C) South & Central Asia includes Bangladesh, Brunei, Cambodia, Chagos, India, Laos, Malaysia, Maldives, Myanmar, Nepal, Pakistan, Philippines, Sri Lanka, Thailand, and Vietnam
The other regions of USA & Canada, Hawaii, the Caribbean, Mexico & Central America and South America are easily defined, without too much controversy or debate. However, I have not been able to find definitions for the remaining regions (Europe, Middle East, Africa and the South Pacific).

As these regions are not easily defined (e.g. I hear Russia was moved from the North Asia region to the Europe region), it would be great if there was a document somehwere which we could refer to when planning our award travel.

I swear I have seen such a document before, but I haven't been able to find it again! Am I missing something?

Any help with finding such a document, or providing information as to the definitions of the regions (as defined by US Airways) would be appreciated!

TIA
Old Jul 31, 2012, 6:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, NW PE, Marriott GE
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
My guess is that SFO-PEK-SIN-HKG isn't anything remotely close to a *A published routing for SFO-HKG- you could probably get away with SFO-PEK/ICN/TYO/KIX-HKG no problem, but going PEK, then SIN, then HKG adds over 3,000 miles to the nonstop.
I did not particularly want to fly from SFO to SIN via PEK, but that was the only routing with availability. I checked the *A website you suggested, which even shows SFO-PEK-PVG-SIN-HKG as a routing. Assuming then that that is not the problem, what is causing this to "price" at 120k miles instead of 90k miles if i fly via SIN? Any ideas? Or is this an decision of the agent that could be resolved with a call back?

Buschoi - In response to your question -- I called the US call center.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 6:59 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by nicksname
After flicking through the Dividend Miles pages and membership, I can't seem to find anything which defines the countries/territories within each region.
I don't think it's necessary that every country is listed to which zone it belongs. i.ex. to what zones should Nigeria, Brazil or Saudi Arabia belong to? Should be clear to everyone! I guess little geography knowledge is a requirement, before you even plan to book a flight abroad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.