Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2012, 10:58 pm

Programs: All of them
My apologies if this has been addressed (800+ pages is a little overwhelming), buy I'm wondering what the most accurate place is to find award availability with US miles.

I'm looking at flying SIN-MLE in SQ J. Nothing shows on UA's website, but AC's and NH's websites have plenty of availability, almost every single day in fact. Are the flights shown on AC's and NH's websites, particularly SQ flights, usually available to be booked with US miles?
Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:46 am

Originally Posted by goAsia
My apologies if this has been addressed (800+ pages is a little overwhelming), buy I'm wondering what the most accurate place is to find award availability with US miles.

I'm looking at flying SIN-MLE in SQ J. Nothing shows on UA's website, but AC's and NH's websites have plenty of availability, almost every single day in fact. Are the flights shown on AC's and NH's websites, particularly SQ flights, usually available to be booked with US miles?
You won't be able to book most of SQ in F or C. C is sometimes available but only for regional flights. I suggest you find alternatives here:
http://beta.awardtravelr.com/
Old Jul 23, 2012, 1:03 am

I'm aware of that. But my question is are the SQ flights shown on AC's and NH's websites always bookable with US miles despite the fact that the availability isn't shown on UA's website. I'm wondering if SQ is somehow blocking space for American based carriers so that the results I'm getting from AC and NH wouldn't be bookable with US miles.

As for awardtravlr, I've used it in the past and haven't had good results. It's still very much a beta product. It would only return results for me about 20% of the time. So I prefer using the UA, AC, and NH websites to find *A availability.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 1:05 am

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Originally Posted by JamesBond_ppk
You won't be able to book most of SQ in F or C. C is sometimes available but only for regional flights. I suggest you find alternatives here:
http://beta.awardtravelr.com/
SIN-MLE is an A330 flight ie regional business class.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by goAsia
I'm aware of that. But my question is are the SQ flights shown on AC's and NH's websites always bookable with US miles despite the fact that the availability isn't shown on UA's website. I'm wondering if SQ is somehow blocking space for American based carriers so that the results I'm getting from AC and NH wouldn't be bookable with US miles.

As for awardtravlr, I've used it in the past and haven't had good results. It's still very much a beta product. It would only return results for me about 20% of the time. So I prefer using the UA, AC, and NH websites to find *A availability.
I think SQ availability has been pretty much withdrawn from UA's site (at least it was for a while following the release of F inventory last week)... but if you can see it on other sites then I'd give US a call and see if they can see it.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 2:59 am

Programs: FSPP, Impresario, Prive, Virtuoso
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
I think SQ availability has been pretty much withdrawn from UA's site (at least it was for a while following the release of F inventory last week)... but if you can see it on other sites then I'd give US a call and see if they can see it.
Availability is withdrawn online, offline it is still the same as NH/AC I believe
Old Jul 23, 2012, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by aviationp
Availability is withdrawn online, offline it is still the same as NH/AC I believe
Great! That's what I wanted to hear.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 2:25 pm

Programs: Doing GS11, probably affiliated with every program out there
looking for a good stopover aus->pvg

so I am planning on using 90k for a I ticket from aus to pvg in feb 2013. early feb. last night the spirit of FT visted me and said to me, I am wasting the miles if I don't use the allowed stopover

so I was looking at where I can stop and maybe toronto on AC since I have relatives there.

Where would you suggest as a good stopover for a family to visit? and not too crazy so I can actually book it :P

Thanks
Old Jul 23, 2012, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Liar
so I am planning on using 90k for a I ticket from aus to pvg in feb 2013. early feb. last night the spirit of FT visted me and said to me, I am wasting the miles if I don't use the allowed stopover

so I was looking at where I can stop and maybe toronto on AC since I have relatives there.

Where would you suggest as a good stopover for a family to visit? and not too crazy so I can actually book it :P

Thanks
Australia to Shanghai? You could stopover in SIN, BKK, ICN. Or if you make shanghai the stopover, you could make somewhere like Tokyo the destination (stopping in Shanghai on the way there or back - so you could do SYD-SIN-NRT-PVG-SIN-SYD)

I would highly doubt they'd let you route via USA/Canada to get to asia. Even if they did, no stopover because not on the most direct routing.

If you want to travel with a family... then probably TG via BKK will have the availability you need.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 3:39 pm

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Australia to Shanghai?
I read it as AUS (Austin, TX) to PVG (Shanghai, China). But maybe Liar can clarify.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by goliath
I read it as AUS (Austin, TX) to PVG (Shanghai, China). But maybe Liar can clarify.

then yes, canada would be an option.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 4:15 pm

then yes, canada would be an option.
hah, yeah sorry Austin TX to Shanghai China. thanks for the help
Old Jul 23, 2012, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by goliath
yeah didn't I pick a clever name? I can always play it both ways
Old Jul 24, 2012, 9:41 am
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Originally Posted by ejh25
My wife and I had IAD-IST (stopover)-BEY then return BEY-LHR-IST all in J.

I just checked my res and the BEY-LHR flight has been knocked down to Y. Called US and was told that BMI/BA are honoring award tickets booked prior to 5/31/2012 but not the class of service. This is absurd!

Any thoughts?
Confirmed ticket and downgrade? EU comp IMO.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 10:05 am

do you know how to check my trip by using US booking ref?
Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.