Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2012, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by tommyleo
To my like-minded, US DM's-accruing and -spending friends on this thread: I just posted my latest photographic trip report. ^
I am surprised US let you do so many segments. Did you have to fight any push back on the phone?

PHL-CLT-SFO-PVG-SIN-BKK-HKG-BKK-FRA-JFK-PHL
Old Jul 19, 2012, 3:45 am

Originally Posted by TGGDEL
LH F is totally unbookable, right?
Some short routings seem to show up on AwardTravelR (ANA tool). Several dates in January 2013, show good availability for short routes like SGN-BKK or KUL-BKK. Have not tried to book them though, so not sure if it's a ghost or not, but given that normally ANA tool shows availability for LH, I would think these are bookable (again, I might be wrong).

If anyone manages to book these, I'll be happy to read the trip report
Old Jul 19, 2012, 3:58 am

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Originally Posted by JamesBond_ppk
Some short routings seem to show up on AwardTravelR (ANA tool). Several dates in January 2013, show good availability for short routes like SGN-BKK or KUL-BKK. Have not tried to book them though, so not sure if it's a ghost or not, but given that normally ANA tool shows availability for LH, I would think these are bookable (again, I might be wrong).

If anyone manages to book these, I'll be happy to read the trip report
When it comes to LH F and what US will actually let you book...what you see on ANA isn't really relevant.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 5:56 am

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by michael_v
I am surprised US let you do so many segments. Did you have to fight any push back on the phone?

PHL-CLT-SFO-PVG-SIN-BKK-HKG-BKK-FRA-JFK-PHL
No resistance at all. In fact, US added a segment that I didn't request! They routed me through CLT because when I booked the ticket (a month in advance), the agent said that US wanted to hold the F seat on PHL-SFO for "revenue" -- which was silly because I checked that flight four days before my departure and there were still five F seats available!

I keep reading on this forum that US has a "four segment maximum" rule in each direction -- yet I can find nothing published by US that supports this. However, I do know that many people do not get 8+ segment itineraries ticketed. One theory I've been offered is that my Gold status helps. Perhaps. But my theory is that US only "counts" segments from gateway city to gateway city. In which case, my itinerary -- for segment-counting purposes -- is SFO-PVG-SIN-BKK-HKG-BKK-FRA-JFK.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 6:08 am

Programs: AA PLAT (2.8MM), DL Diamond, UA*S, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTE, Hilton DIAMOND, IHG PLT
It's US airways... just call back until you get an agent that can help you ^

I got RTW on my SQ First redemption a few weeks ago //-SFO-SIN-HKG-SIN-DME-IAH-// for US-North Asia for 120,000 miles plus taxes

She asked if HKG-SIN-DME-IAH was a valid routing and I replied "well... it shows up on the United website" and that was good enough for her plus the rest is just gravy
Old Jul 19, 2012, 8:37 am

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
Originally Posted by utpharmdoc
It's US airways... just call back until you get an agent that can help you ^

I got RTW on my SQ First redemption a few weeks ago //-SFO-SIN-HKG-SIN-DME-IAH-// for US-North Asia for 120,000 miles plus taxes

She asked if HKG-SIN-DME-IAH was a valid routing and I replied "well... it shows up on the United website" and that was good enough for her plus the rest is just gravy
The AC tool was coming up with RTW routing from the East Coast to Australia... SQ F/ Suites JFK-FRA-SIN-MEL, coming back UA MEL-SYD-LAX-JFK. Problem was, of the UA segments only the short MEL-SYD hop would book into J or F. I must have tried around 50 different date combinations in Jan and Feb 2013 and no matter what, the transpac and the p.s. transcon segment would not book into anything other than Y and would not give me routing for anything other than United on the return. I have a really hard time believing that there isn't a single award seat on AC, NH, NZ, OZ, SQ, or TG for between Australia and the US on any of those dates.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by thomwithanh
The AC tool was coming up with RTW routing from the East Coast to Australia... SQ F/ Suites JFK-FRA-SIN-MEL, coming back UA MEL-SYD-LAX-JFK. Problem was, of the UA segments only the short MEL-SYD hop would book into J or F. I must have tried around 50 different date combinations in Jan and Feb 2013 and no matter what, the transpac and the p.s. transcon segment would not book into anything other than Y and would not give me routing for anything other than United on the return. I have a really hard time believing that there isn't a single award seat on AC, NH, NZ, OZ, SQ, or TG for between Australia and the US on any of those dates.
sq f and suites are not available. NH is pretty hard to get. OZ is usually ok between far and icn for f, try that, followed by OZ in biz class to Sydney.

nz and UA transpac are very hard to find. not surprising they won't have anything much for the dates you're after.

TG should be wide open Europe to bkk to syd in f.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:24 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QR G, A3 G, EK G, IHG Amb, GHA Black, WOH LT something
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
sq f and suites are not available. NH is pretty hard to get. OZ is usually ok between far and icn for f, try that, followed by OZ in biz class to Sydney.

nz and UA transpac are very hard to find. not surprising they won't have anything much for the dates you're after.

anyone ever booked recently (in the last year or 2) nh in F from/to Europe? never been able to find them. that's the only one i'll be missing in my *A F collection, and Tam ofc but don't care much for them... Forgot to add MS to that list, but being dry and looking sub par, i think i'ld rather fly UA in F, or LH in C than MS in F...

Last edited by synd; Jul 19, 2012 at 11:26 am Reason: forgot one
Old Jul 19, 2012, 2:11 pm

Hi , as an award newbie I was successfull to book my first routing for this Christmas.
I had not received any mail with e-ticket is that OK. I only see in my reservations, miles and taxes debited, ticket number is there. Will be enough to show this reservation printout to OS/VO employees in VIE on Christmas day or should I prepare for troubles ?
I am used to get a separete email as e-ticket, US?DM does not do this ?
My routing is VIE-SOF(OS/VO)-IST-SIN(TK)-DPS (SQ) destination
- SIN (SQ) stopover -PEK (SQ) -VIE(OS) all in C.
Who to contact reserve a seat/meal ? US or op.carrier?
Do I have access to lounges as I am in business class ?
What are drawbacks and who to contact in case of inop/nonstardad situation?
That even my first C class so I am so excited about, as I need some indulgence after all bad happened in first 6 months in this year.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 3:02 pm

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF

SQ was only coming up because of the SQ miracle, and my guess is that had I attempted to book the seats would not have stuck.

It's not just with SYD/MEL that I'm having that problem with... it almost seems like there's an unwritten rule that you can get J or F on the outbound, but the main segment back to the US will always be in Y. Zero availability in J or F whether it's from SIN, HKG, BKK, or anywhere back to the US - best case scenario my transcon segment (oddly enough usually coming up with US Airways) books into F.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 3:04 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by kobolcs
Hi , as an award newbie I was successfull to book my first routing for this Christmas.
I had not received any mail with e-ticket is that OK. I only see in my reservations, miles and taxes debited, ticket number is there. Will be enough to show this reservation printout to OS/VO employees in VIE on Christmas day or should I prepare for troubles ?
I am used to get a separete email as e-ticket, US?DM does not do this ?
My routing is VIE-SOF(OS/VO)-IST-SIN(TK)-DPS (SQ) destination
- SIN (SQ) stopover -PEK (SQ) -VIE(OS) all in C.
Who to contact reserve a seat/meal ? US or op.carrier?
Do I have access to lounges as I am in business class ?
That even my first C class so I am so excited about, as I need some indulgence after all bad happened in first 6 months in this year.
Not getting an email from US is normal.

As you have the record locater of OS, you should be able to retreive your e-ticket at the follwing link: Amadeus Itinerary Receipt (ITR) (RLOC from OS).

Seats / meals with operating carrier.

Lounges: Star Alliance Lounge finder

Same as with an Economy class ticket and any other carrier. Before departure (-48h?) booking carrier/operator, after that the operating carrier.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 3:27 pm
Dag

NH in F

Originally Posted by synd
anyone ever booked recently (in the last year or 2) nh in F from/to Europe? never been able to find them. that's the only one i'll be missing in my *A F collection, and Tam ofc but don't care much for them... Forgot to add MS to that list, but being dry and looking sub par, i think i'ld rather fly UA in F, or LH in C than MS in F...
Yes, did it last summer. Trip booked 5 weeks before departuere, and got the date I wanted. NH from MUC to NRT, and a totally different routing on the way back. I put in a trip report in the trip report forum last week including the NH segment.

To bad with LH F, KVS shows a lot of availability opening T-14 days, even on the 380.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 9:32 pm

Programs: US CP
This situation with LH First is so frustrating. We are going to Oslo next Weds., and could fly through either MUC or FRA, and could go out of IAD, JFK,BOS etc. since we have to fly out of BUF to somewhere else first before the TATL flight. On 7/25, I see loads of seats (7 of 8, 8 of 8 open F seats), and "availability" on KVS, but apparently none for little US people. (Using figuratively, but I am indeed 5'1"...)

Has anybody gotten any seats on LH F 2 or 3 days out (or at all?) in 2012? Should I just stop bothering the Chairman's desk and abandon hope? Should I just be a Pollyanna and be thrilled with my Envoy seats? Since it will be my birthday (big old number, with a zero on the end...), couldn't they do a long sell just this once for the birthday girl? Sigh....any ideas?
Old Jul 20, 2012, 1:04 am

you can use UA miles if you have some...
if you are not able to score F seats: maybe LH new C ex IAD, LX C, SQ C (ex JFK, but most likely not available) or AC C might be some alternatives to UA F and save at least some miles

I only know of one case where LH F seats have been booked this year, but I guess that this was a 1-day USDM glitch...
Old Jul 20, 2012, 4:11 am

Programs: SK*G, QR*G
Cancel if no show on a segment ?

I want to combine a US award trip with a revenue ticket. I'd plan to have a stopover in FRA on the award ticket, and then fly to EZE and back to FRA on another paid ticket, then continuing to OSL on the US award ticket. What if the flight from EZE is delayed or cancelled? Will the rest of my US award be cancelled if I no show on the FRA OSL flight? Or will LH which was responsible for the delay fix this ?
I could live with having to buy a new FRA OSL ticket, but not getting the remaining part of the US award cancelled.
Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.