Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2012, 2:06 pm

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jjjohn
do you know how to check my trip by using US booking ref?
On the US homepage under "Travel Tools" -> "Manage flights"?
Old Jul 24, 2012, 3:07 pm

Programs: US Chairman, Marriott Platinum, PCR Platinum, and SPG Gold
Originally Posted by travelkid
Confirmed ticket and downgrade? EU comp IMO.
Is this covered under EU comp given that the I'm traveling to Turkey and Lebanon?
Old Jul 24, 2012, 3:31 pm

Programs: Cutting down :-(
Originally Posted by ejh25
Is this covered under EU comp given that the I'm traveling to Turkey and Lebanon?
BMI and BA are registered in the EU. All airline registered in the EU are subject to EU 261/2004 on all departures. So yes, you should seek EU compensation from BA/BMI.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 3:33 pm

Programs: US Chairman, Marriott Platinum, PCR Platinum, and SPG Gold
Originally Posted by travelkid
Confirmed ticket and downgrade? EU comp IMO.
I was actually able to get BA and US to get the tickets back in order but I am curious about the EU comp given where the origin and destinations are on my itinerary.

On another US mileage award, UA just canceled my IAD-DME flight on 8/30. I kicked and screamed to get re-accommodated on another UA flight two weeks prior. Unfortunately our Russian visas have to be reissued at a nice $170 a pop. Should I file a complaint with UA? Anyone else?
Old Jul 24, 2012, 11:44 pm

Programs: Loews Platinum, Starwood Gold
fare class for star alliance upgrade award

Hi gang,

I've read many pages of this thread and have read the USAirways site on Star Alliance upgrades. My question has to do with this quote from the site:

Passengers wishing to redeem miles for a Star Alliance Upgrade Award must purchase a ticket in B, C, D, or Y class on a participating carrier. The purchased flight cannot be a codeshare flight.

Now I know there are many, many booking classes within those fare classes. I'm looking at purchasing a Lufthansa business ticket that's P booking class. Does USAir only look at very specific classes above exclusively? Unless I find a B class Lufthansa business ticket will I be out of luck to try and upgrade to first class?

Thank you in advance.

Maria
Old Jul 25, 2012, 12:05 am

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Originally Posted by mcpepe
Unless I find a B class Lufthansa business ticket will I be out of luck to try and upgrade to first class?
B class is an economy fare class so that isn't going to help you upgrade to F!

As per the statement you quoted if you want (to try) and upgrade to F then you MUST purchase a business fare in C or D class.

That's going to be much more expensive than P I imagine. Then you may run into the issue, much discussed on this thread, where US seems unable to book LH F regardless of whether or not it shows as available elsewhere...I assume the upgrade award books into O class?
Old Jul 25, 2012, 12:14 am

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
if already in F on another carrier I would stick with F. Go for LX C only if you are on another airline such as TG/LH/OS in C (all have angled lie flats ex TG ex CDG) - then LX wins.
Thanks. Managed to book the following.

HKG-BKK TG F
BKK-ZUR TG F
ZUR-IAD UA F

IAD-FRA UA F
FRA-BKK TG F
BKK-SIN SQ C (STOPOVER)
SIN-HKG SQ C

120K Miles and $ 259 in taxes, ticketing and expedite fee.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 5:32 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
is anyone having any luck finding UA F (or anything else) to Europe for next May or June? I've found maybe two or three dates to one or two cities across each month. Or has it all simply not been loaded, yet?

Last edited by mrredskin; Jul 25, 2012 at 5:39 am
Old Jul 25, 2012, 6:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by mcpepe
I've read many pages of this thread and have read the USAirways site on Star Alliance upgrades. My question has to do with this quote from the site:

Passengers wishing to redeem miles for a Star Alliance Upgrade Award must purchase a ticket in B, C, D, or Y class on a participating carrier. The purchased flight cannot be a codeshare flight.

Now I know there are many, many booking classes within those fare classes. I'm looking at purchasing a Lufthansa business ticket that's P booking class. Does USAir only look at very specific classes above exclusively? Unless I find a B class Lufthansa business ticket will I be out of luck to try and upgrade to first class?

Thank you in advance.

Maria

You must buy one of the specific fare classes mentioned above to be eligible for the Star Alliance upgrade. A "P" booking class on LH won't cut it.

To further complicate your situation with a P fare on LH, the P fares actually earn zero credit on US. This is a glitch they have yet to fix. P fares on LH and UA used to be a discount coach fare that didn't earn mileage credit. Now, LH and UA have both reassigned "P" as a discount business class fare bucket. US has corrected their mileage earning for UA P fares (they earn 150% as a business class fare) but US has not corrected the issue with LH so even though you have a paid business class ticket, you won't earn miles. Several US FF'ers emailed and called US about the error but as of yet nothing has been fixed.

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/divid...lufthansa.html
Old Jul 25, 2012, 7:15 am
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Originally Posted by ejh25
I was actually able to get BA and US to get the tickets back in order but I am curious about the EU comp given where the origin and destinations are on my itinerary.
Originally Posted by cvarming
BMI and BA are registered in the EU. All airline registered in the EU are subject to EU 261/2004 on all departures. So yes, you should seek EU compensation from BA/BMI.
Question answered^
Old Jul 25, 2012, 9:12 am

Programs: IHG Amb, MR Plat, FB Silver
Originally Posted by cvarming
Wrong; read 261/2004, Article 3, Paragraph 1. It covers all flights from EU and only flights to EU operated by EU carriers. Doesn't apply to any flights between third countries regardless of carrier.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 8:59 pm

Programs: QF WP, AC*G
Originally Posted by Viks
Wrong; read 261/2004, Article 3, Paragraph 1. It covers all flights from EU and only flights to EU operated by EU carriers. Doesn't apply to any flights between third countries regardless of carrier.
But if they are via the EU, then it does. So, BA's DOH-BAH-DOH tags would not necessarily be covered, but LAX-LHR-DOH and vv certainly would.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 10:19 am

DM Award issue: DFW - BNE

First off, thank you all FT'ers for your expert advice. I have been lurking around here for a few years and have been using a lot of the info from this site to plan my travels. I have never had issues using my miles to book award travel until today.

I need to travel to Brisbane, Australia in 2013 and decided to use my DM miles for a *A award since I have enough miles for a first/biz RT ticket.

After spending time on the *A website, ANA tool and EF, I decided on the following route -
DFW-SFO-NRT(stopover)-AKL-BNE(destination)-AKL-NRT-SEA-DFW

The reason behind this choice is that biz SFO (or LAX) - AKL tickets on NZ are hard to find. I am not very flexible on dates as I need to be there for a wedding.

I called the US Airways reservation line to book the itinerary and everything seemed smooth right until when the agent was about to issue me the confirmation #. She told me my itinerary would not work because the DFW-BNE route only allowed 10100 miles vs. my itinerary's 13000 miles.

I have never encountered such an issue before. Is this something the airlines enforce? I mean, I am not travelling thru Europe, and my route isn't that outrageous compared to a few others I have seen here.

Any and all feedback (or new routings) will be greatly appreciated.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 11:42 am

Programs: US Silver, UA Plat, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by spacefugitive
First off, thank you all FT'ers for your expert advice. I have been lurking around here for a few years and have been using a lot of the info from this site to plan my travels. I have never had issues using my miles to book award travel until today.

I need to travel to Brisbane, Australia in 2013 and decided to use my DM miles for a *A award since I have enough miles for a first/biz RT ticket.

After spending time on the *A website, ANA tool and EF, I decided on the following route -
DFW-SFO-NRT(stopover)-AKL-BNE(destination)-AKL-NRT-SEA-DFW

The reason behind this choice is that biz SFO (or LAX) - AKL tickets on NZ are hard to find. I am not very flexible on dates as I need to be there for a wedding.

I called the US Airways reservation line to book the itinerary and everything seemed smooth right until when the agent was about to issue me the confirmation #. She told me my itinerary would not work because the DFW-BNE route only allowed 10100 miles vs. my itinerary's 13000 miles.

I have never encountered such an issue before. Is this something the airlines enforce? I mean, I am not travelling thru Europe, and my route isn't that outrageous compared to a few others I have seen here.

Any and all feedback (or new routings) will be greatly appreciated.
They've given me the same line on a NA to Australia award ticket before. Hung up and called again and it was no problem.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by jmk2135
They've given me the same line on a NA to Australia award ticket before. Hung up and called again and it was no problem.
Thank you for your response. Unfortunately the ANA tool now shows no biz availability on the SFO-NRT route the day I wanted to travel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.