Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2012, 6:10 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by ejh25
I would call Swiss agents at different hours of the day until you get one that will help you.
Forget it! Out of my experience they won't do that! They follow the rules, that the issueing carrier is responsable for any rebooking befor the flight...

And US will not call LX, even if LX promises to open up space on the new flight connection... I am wondering, why US charges a booking fee, if they don't do their job with the booking as they should?
Old Jul 28, 2012, 7:03 pm

Programs: US Silver, AA Gold
Well US did call LX. To my surprise, LX said no. They told US to book me on MIA-ZRH. Thankfully, US was willing to open up 2 F seats from PHL-MIA for me, so now it's final. PHL-MIA-ZRH. Now I just gotta try UA, to see if I can change my brother's ticket to connect in MIA too.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by peter10
I have just come back from one of these North Asia to North Asia via Europe trips. My route was as follows:

Tokyo Haneda to Seoul Gimpo OZ J (23 hour layover)
How did you get US to "see" GMP? I tried numerous agents and they all said they didn't see any flights in any class on any departure date. (was trying for GMP-ITM/KIX)
Old Jul 28, 2012, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by gwar69
Well US did call LX. To my surprise, LX said no. They told US to book me on MIA-ZRH. Thankfully, US was willing to open up 2 F seats from PHL-MIA for me, so now it's final. PHL-MIA-ZRH. Now I just gotta try UA, to see if I can change my brother's ticket to connect in MIA too.
I came to this thread a bit late, but when i read your original post this is what i was going to suggest - route via MIA and get US to open up inventory down to MIA. So it looks like that's what happened so all good.

The only real time calling LX would be of assistance from what I have read on various threads is getting you on their own metal the next day or a day earlier if there were no award seats showing. Because the flight was cancelled they are much more likely to open it up on that route for you, but not by changing origins.

The other thing i was going to suggest (but not necessary now) was that you might have used the cancellation to secure a seat straight into AMS.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by audio-nut
How did you get US to "see" GMP? I tried numerous agents and they all said they didn't see any flights in any class on any departure date. (was trying for GMP-ITM/KIX)
I don't remember exactly but I said I wanted to leave from Handea going to Seoul. As there are no flights to ICN from Haneda she gave me the GMP choice.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 11:35 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold
After several hours of calling (close to a dozen by my count), a large stack of miles and fees, my flights have finally been perfected and ticketed.

My flights look like this: AKL-PVG-TPE-ICN-NRT-AKL.

For those wondering, the number of flights to get to NRT wasn't entirely of my making . Due to the lack of availability on more direct flights, one particularly helpful CSR suggested a quite inventive routing. As I requested to stopover in TPE, she suggested routing me back to PVG and then on to NRT!

Unfortunately, my PVG-TPE leg is only in Y, due to a lack of availability in J. Does any have experience with CA (Air China) award flights? How likely is it that they will release more J seats before I depart (November)?

On another note, it will be my first time sitting in the nose of a 747! Despite Asiana's strange website interface, I have managed to select seat 2K for this flight! Does anyone have any other preferences for seats in the nose?

TIA
Old Jul 28, 2012, 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by nicksname
After several hours of calling (close to a dozen by my count), a large stack of miles and fees, my flights have finally been perfected and ticketed.

My flights look like this: AKL-PVG-TPE-ICN-NRT-AKL.

For those wondering, the number of flights to get to NRT wasn't entirely of my making . Due to the lack of availability on more direct flights, one particularly helpful CSR suggested a quite inventive routing. As I requested to stopover in TPE, she suggested routing me back to PVG and then on to NRT!

Unfortunately, my PVG-TPE leg is only in Y, due to a lack of availability in J. Does any have experience with CA (Air China) award flights? How likely is it that they will release more J seats before I depart (November)?

On another note, it will be my first time sitting in the nose of a 747! Despite Asiana's strange website interface, I have managed to select seat 2K for this flight! Does anyone have any other preferences for seats in the nose?

TIA
I find in these regional CA flights they rarely release more after the original batch. For example I only ever seen them release 2 seats in J for the flights I'm interested in taking even though it's always empty. Good luck!
Old Jul 28, 2012, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nicksname

TIA
Its First class cabin with an individual F class seats except for the last row in the middle - so any are pretty fine
Old Jul 29, 2012, 2:35 am

Programs: LX HON Circle
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.168 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/130)

Hi there
Thurstday I made a reservation for 2 pax incl. 1 longhaul flight on SQ new C. I was extremely happy that US was able to reserve them. As I was not 100% happy with the return flight I put the reservation on hold. Agent confiremd reservation for 72h. Now, after 48h, I want to get the ticket issued, looked up reservation online, and realized that my SQ flight no longer shows up!!! Every other flight is still there. Only SQ new C flight is missing!!! I am aware that under M&M SQ award flights need to be ticketed in 24h but as the US agent confirmed 72h for my itinerary I thought I would be protected for those 3 days. Of course, award itinerary has disappeard now
What can I do?? Any way to get my 2 seats back on that SQ flight? I really need that fight .
Thank you for your advise!
Old Jul 29, 2012, 2:47 am
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
IME, even if US holds a booking, SQ will only hold it till 4 AM the next day in SIN.
Only way it has worked for me is to book and cancel as a CP, but otherwise I have had to keep looking for award availability

"I am aware that under M&M SQ award flights need to be..."
This is DM, right?
SQ treats all partners the same - equally badly - for holding awards I think.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 3:12 am

Hello everyone I would like to hear your opinion on my situation here. I have a booking on US Airways via Singapore Airlines from Europe to Asia. It is a business class award AMS-MNL in which one segment intra Asia. MNL-SIN(on return) was in economy. At the time business was not available due to the issues with Singapore migration to new system. The seat is available now but was told in order to change the segment from economy to business(even though award is business class) would require US Airways to cancel the whole award and rebook it. I dont want to take the risk to cancel it because I am sure Singapore airlines wont release the seat after it is cancel(on A380 and 77W). Did anyone have this experience? Do you really have to cancel the whole award to change a segment to business from economy?
Old Jul 29, 2012, 3:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rsydney
Hello everyone I would like to hear your opinion on my situation here. I have a booking on US Airways via Singapore Airlines from Europe to Asia. It is a business class award AMS-MNL in which one segment intra Asia. MNL-SIN(on return) was in economy. At the time business was not available due to the issues with Singapore migration to new system. The seat is available now but was told in order to change the segment from economy to business(even though award is business class) would require US Airways to cancel the whole award and rebook it. I dont want to take the risk to cancel it because I am sure Singapore airlines wont release the seat after it is cancel(on A380 and 77W). Did anyone have this experience? Do you really have to cancel the whole award to change a segment to business from economy?
there are indeed some agents that think you have to do this. Just hang up and call again. Changing one flight to business class is the same as making a change to your booking. The rest of the segments should stay the same...

But i defer to the US experts to explain why some agent think you need to cancel rather than just change?
Old Jul 29, 2012, 4:52 am

Programs: Ex-NWA Plat
Originally Posted by gwar69
Sometimes UA's chart is better, somethime the US chart is better. I would agree that for this route, UA miles would be better to use.
Is there an Excel sheet out there that compares requirements between various award travel mileage requirements between the different Star Alliance carriers?
Old Jul 29, 2012, 5:08 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by f4freeJunior
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.168 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/130)

Hi there
Thurstday I made a reservation for 2 pax incl. 1 longhaul flight on SQ new C. I was extremely happy that US was able to reserve them. As I was not 100% happy with the return flight I put the reservation on hold. Agent confiremd reservation for 72h. Now, after 48h, I want to get the ticket issued, looked up reservation online, and realized that my SQ flight no longer shows up!!! Every other flight is still there. Only SQ new C flight is missing!!! I am aware that under M&M SQ award flights need to be ticketed in 24h but as the US agent confirmed 72h for my itinerary I thought I would be protected for those 3 days. Of course, award itinerary has disappeard now
What can I do?? Any way to get my 2 seats back on that SQ flight? I really need that fight .
Thank you for your advise!
SQ is very strict about having to tkt right away. The agent should have known that but she didn't. It's unfortunate but nothing you can do. In the past, you might have found an agent willing to call SQ and a small chance SQ would re open the seats for you. However, with the SQ screw up a few weeks ago and all the extra C F tkts issued by mistake, SQ surly will not issue more now in purpose
Old Jul 29, 2012, 6:07 am

Programs: LX HON Circle
Originally Posted by ffI
IME, even if US holds a booking, SQ will only hold it till 4 AM the next day in SIN.
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
SQ is very strict about having to tkt right away. The agent should have known that but she didn't. It's unfortunate but nothing you can do. In the past, you might have found an agent willing to call SQ and a small chance SQ would re open the seats for you. However, with the SQ screw up a few weeks ago and all the extra C F tkts issued by mistake, SQ surly will not issue more now in purpose
THank you!
WIll call again tonight 5AM SIN time and see what US can do for me...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.