Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2012, 6:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by gwar69
Well US did call LX. To my surprise, LX said no. They told US to book me on MIA-ZRH. Thankfully, US was willing to open up 2 F seats from PHL-MIA for me, so now it's final. PHL-MIA-ZRH. Now I just gotta try UA, to see if I can change my brother's ticket to connect in MIA too.
FWIW, if flying LX C class I would actually prefer PHL-MIA-ZRH to PHL-BOS-ZRH. I have flown the BOS-ZRH LX flight and it is so short (flight time can be less than 6.5 hours) you have little time to enjoy the niceties of their business class service. I actually ate a snack in the lounge, climbed on board, had a glass of Champagne and skipped dinner altogether. MIA-ZRH, while not being the quickest way to ZRH, will give you enough time to enjoy the meal service AND get a good night's rest. Also, opt for the mini-cabin in the front of the C section if you can get it.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 9:06 am

Anyone has experience in changing a segment's class after departure?

Say I book an F award and fly the outbound segments, then later O inventory opens up, can I call and move from I to O?
Old Jul 29, 2012, 9:09 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
No changes after travel has commenced - US strict policy.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 9:33 am

Programs: US Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by geo1005
Also, opt for the mini-cabin in the front of the C section if you can get it.
Already there, 5A/B. The worst part is I had a choice of a 1 hour or 6 hour connection in MIA. Being December in PHL, I opted for the 6 hour layover. *A lounge finder says no lounges in MIA. Is that really true?
Old Jul 29, 2012, 10:23 am

Programs: US Chairman, Marriott Platinum, PCR Platinum, and SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
Forget it! Out of my experience they won't do that! They follow the rules, that the issueing carrier is responsable for any rebooking befor the flight...

And US will not call LX, even if LX promises to open up space on the new flight connection... I am wondering, why US charges a booking fee, if they don't do their job with the booking as they should?
As I posted earlier, this method just worked for me on a us air award ticket on UA. UA cancelled and initially told me to talk to US. US couldn't find the availability I wanted so I kept calling UA until they opened up two revenue seats in F for my wife and I. Interestingly enough, the ticket is no longer a UA ticket. In the accommodation process the agent pulled the ticket over to the UA system.

Last edited by ejh25; Jul 29, 2012 at 12:54 pm
Old Jul 29, 2012, 5:28 pm

Programs: Former Dividend Miles Chairman's, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by ejh25
Interestingly enough, the ticket is no longer a UA ticket.
I believe your ticket always was a US ticket because they were the issuer: "039".
Old Jul 29, 2012, 6:04 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by TPA us ff
I believe your ticket always was a US ticket because they were the issuer: "039".
KAPO Avia is the issuer of the ticket "039"?

http://awery.net/company/JSC+%22KAPO+Avia%22.html
Old Jul 29, 2012, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
He meant 037.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by gwar69
*A lounge finder says no lounges in MIA. Is that really true?
Check out the LX internet site... With little work, you will find out what lounge LX's contracting in MIA...

LX
Old Jul 29, 2012, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by keirnna
He meant 037.
Quite a difference...
Old Jul 29, 2012, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by TPA us ff
The agent changed the ticket stock to United's 016. I'm not kidding.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 8:30 am

Programs: US Dividend Miles
The agent changed the ticket stock to United's 016. I'm not kidding.
Does this mean that the agent completely cancelled your US ticket and issued you a UA ticket? I'm assuming that's the only way to change the ticket stock, no?
Old Jul 30, 2012, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by shaggy_mutt
Does this mean that the agent completely cancelled your US ticket and issued you a UA ticket? I'm assuming that's the only way to change the ticket stock, no?
Yes. The ticket no longer exists in the US system or at least I can't find it. I'm sure this is an unusual situation but gives credence to the agent-shopping method.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 9:43 am

As I posted earlier, this method just worked for me on a us air award ticket on UA. UA cancelled and initially told me to talk to US. US couldn't find the availability I wanted so I kept calling UA until they opened up two revenue seats in F for my wife and I. Interestingly enough, the ticket is no longer a UA ticket. In the accommodation process the agent pulled the ticket over to the UA system.
Years ago I had booked via UA miles a round trip from SFO to Italy on LH F. One month before departure LH cancelled the connecting flight from MUC into Italy and there was no other connection. So the United rep said too bad, I'll refund your ticket.

I called LH and they apologized and rebooked me with no hassle using revenue seats.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 1:00 pm

Programs: MR Ag, LH FTL
A while ago I booked YYZ-PHL-CDG return for the next winter, operated by Air Wisconsin/US, at Off-peak saver rates. Now the schedules have changed slightly and "I don't accept these changes / Accept changes" button shows on the reservation.

What are my chances of calling and getting direct YYZ-CDG AC operated flights instead (award availability permitting) without repricing?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.