Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2013, 11:38 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AS Gold75k, WN CP, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by briansee
Data point: I was just able to put a LH J award on hold that departs on a Saturday.
Also, the Wed and Sat availability for LH was true for me. Wide open intra-Europe J found every day on United's site, but USDM agents could only see availability on Wednesday and Saturdays.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by tommyleo
Because his reason for choosing UA has no basis in fact. Plus, he'll very likely get much better service (and be much happier) with Asian airlines. But since there are a few exceptions (depending on route/carrier), it would be helpful to see both options to determine what would be best.
it really depends.

UA is not that bad. Their bed is very comfortable and if you just want to get on and have a quick bite to eat with some tasty comfort food before going to sleep then UA fits the bill very well.

obviously if ANA was leaving at the same time as UA to NRT I'd take ANA. Or I'd take OZ over UA direct to ICN. But if there was a non-stop to my destination on UA vs a connection on another carrier then i would happily fly UA in many circumstances.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 6:49 am

Programs: AA plat, SPG gold
Quick question...
Wondering if this is valid:

1/2: IAD-GVA-IST-FRU-ULN (open jaw)
1/13: ICN-SEA-IAD

Agent I just talked with said it violated the open jaw rules, but an agent a few days ago let me hold a similar itinerary which had me return back to IAD through Europe.

Last edited by lakers6902; Dec 25, 2013 at 7:11 am
Old Dec 25, 2013, 8:42 am

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
it really depends.

UA is not that bad. Their bed is very comfortable and if you just want to get on and have a quick bite to eat with some tasty comfort food before going to sleep then UA fits the bill very well.

obviously if ANA was leaving at the same time as UA to NRT I'd take ANA. Or I'd take OZ over UA direct to ICN. But if there was a non-stop to my destination on UA vs a connection on another carrier then i would happily fly UA in many circumstances.
Having been dumbed-down by years of "meh" service on US flights (which is no different than UA), I especially appreciate the Asian airlines for the service. And the food is usually better, too.

Last edited by tommyleo; Dec 25, 2013 at 8:49 am
Old Dec 25, 2013, 8:45 am

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Looks good. But USDM rep sometimes have problems to accept open-jaws. HUACA.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 3:41 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cedricgerald

However there is psycologic effect (at least for me) of flying on an airline who will leave *A few weeks after in case of IRROPS (plus non revenue + plus no status in *A so I guess that I won't be the first to be rebooked and wonder if the'll keep me in J / F
Fear-mongering.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 4:04 pm

Programs: US SP, JetBlue Mosaic, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by geclub1
I think you made three mistakes.
1) you chose a poorer product - UA;
2) US already announced that it will maintain certain relationship with EVA post its exit from *A. In the meantime, US and UA already parted ways in terms of codeshare. So in term of closeness, EVA will be closer to US than UA post *A exit;
3) UA tends to tinker its schedule quite a bit, while EVA/Asiana have their TPAC route schedules fixed a year in advance.

I would have chosen the other way if I were you.
Oh, I totally hear you.

A quick follow up to a couple of replies that I should have mentioned in my original post about choosing UA over other carriers for a May 2014 *A award.

1. Main reason for booking was to experience the Micronesia Island Hopper (UA 154) flight from HNL-GUM. That's a UA only flight... and then I am in GUM where UA rules. There are/were quite literally only two days in all of 2014 so far with saver award availability on the Hopper.. so I couldn't even pick when I was stuck in GUM. There were other possibilities including Asiana to Seoul or Eva to Taipei, but UA was most flexible. As for the return, sure any of the *A carriers could have routed me back through YYZ, ORD, JFK, or IAD... but I saw the Dreamliner and figured maybe better to keep it all UA. I'll be the first to admit my decision was NOT based in any sort of fact. Which leads me to:

2. I have two very close friends who are fairly senior at United (one FA; one in-airport) so I could likely call in a favor and have them pull a string should something get FUBAR'ed with the trip (mechanical, weather, etc.). Is that a guaranteed safety net? Of course not... but my chances of success having that as a possible option (vs. being a non-status award flyer phoning a call center) tipped the scale in favor of UA.

Trust me... I spent weeks trying to decide to go all-UA or mix it up with the Asian carriers (which, yes, agreed have a superior product). The pro's and con's kept me up at night.

FYI: Final routing was...

BOS-EWR UA F
EWR-HNL UA F (stop)
HNL-MAJ-KWA-KSA-PNI-TKK-GUM UA Y (F availability ever? Hahaha!)
GUM-NRT UA C (dest)
(cash paid non A* NRT-ICN-NRT on Korean Air to add a couple of hang out days in Seoul)
NRT-DEN UA C (Dreamliner)
DEN-BOS UA F

It was a 90k North Asia business class redemption, plus $114 in taxes and fees.

Last edited by MPScan; Dec 25, 2013 at 4:15 pm
Old Dec 25, 2013, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MPScan
Oh, I totally hear you.

A quick follow up to a couple of replies that I should have mentioned in my original post about choosing UA over other carriers for a May 2014 *A award.

1. Main reason for booking was to experience the Micronesia Island Hopper (UA 154) flight from HNL-GUM. That's a UA only flight... and then I am in GUM where UA rules. There are/were quite literally only two days in all of 2014 so far with saver award availability on the Hopper.. so I couldn't even pick when I was stuck in GUM. There were other possibilities including Asiana to Seoul or Eva to Taipei, but UA was most flexible. As for the return, sure any of the *A carriers could have routed me back through YYZ, ORD, JFK, or IAD... but I saw the Dreamliner and figured maybe better to keep it all UA. I'll be the first to admit my decision was NOT based in any sort of fact. Which leads me to:

2. I have two very close friends who are fairly senior at United (one FA; one in-airport) so I could likely call in a favor and have them pull a string should something get FUBAR'ed with the trip (mechanical, weather, etc.). Is that a guaranteed safety net? Of course not... but my chances of success having that as a possible option (vs. being a non-status award flyer phoning a call center) tipped the scale in favor of UA.

Trust me... I spent weeks trying to decide to go all-UA or mix it up with the Asian carriers (which, yes, agreed have a superior product). The pro's and con's kept me up at night.

BOS-EWR UA F
EWR-HNL UA F (stop)
GUM-NRT UA C (dest)
(cash paid non A* NRT-ICN-NRT on Korean Air to add a couple of hang out days in Seoul)
DEN-BOS UA F

It was a 90k North Asia business class redemption, plus $114 in taxes and fees.
that seems pretty good to me!! and lots of fun! ^
Old Dec 25, 2013, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ok I have a question and I can't remember what the answer is...

2 pax booked on a single PNR. I pax can no longer travel. Can an agent split the PNR and just cancel one of the two? (I have a feeling the answer is yes but you want to make sure they know what they're doing so they don't cancel both?)
Old Dec 25, 2013, 5:45 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by MPScan

BOS-EWR UA F
EWR-HNL UA F (stop)
GUM-NRT UA C (dest)
DEN-BOS UA F
So US counts the Island Hopper as one segment? Either that, or they allowed a 11-segment award trip! ^

(It happens...)
Old Dec 25, 2013, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tommyleo
So US counts the Island Hopper as one segment? Either that, or they allowed a 11-segment award trip! ^

(It happens...)
HNL-GUM on a single flight number is counted as one segment. It is the same with any service (eg PEK-PVG-SYD on the same plane through service is a single segment)
Old Dec 25, 2013, 6:55 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
2 pax booked on a single PNR. I pax can no longer travel. Can an agent split the PNR and just cancel one of the two? (I have a feeling the answer is yes but you want to make sure they know what they're doing so they don't cancel both?)
A search of this thread for "split PNR" shows that they might be able to do this, they might screw this up, or they might not know how to do this. Looks like the most recent experience was from earlier this year. No obvious indicator of a trend to see if it's getting better or worse.

So...good luck to you! ^

I don't feel that my post is going to help very much, since I'm sure you have searched the thread for your answer. Just trying to clarify that even if you get a few folks saying they were able to do this, there may still be some risk associated with it.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 12:33 am

Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch
Not true.
Maybe not normally, but as far as my travel insurance goes, paid ticket = award ticket = ticket.
Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch
Ah, there's you're problem - I'm not in Australia
Not so much my problem as it is your problem . I can only tell you from my experience, and my being Australian, my experience is based on Australia. Sorry it doesn't quite match everyone's specific situation but I can't really do much about that, lol.

goodo
Old Dec 26, 2013, 4:05 am

Programs: DL-Silver; BA-Bronze
ok I have a question and I can't remember what the answer is...

It shouldn't be a problem - emphasis on the word "shouldn't". If you really want to be safe, you could do it in two separate phone calls / transactions. First call up and do the split and get your second PNR. Then call back using the second PNR and cancel without ever even mentioning the first one.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

thanks OTTM and Bevoinva I'll give it a go on the weekend!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.