Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Non-reconfigured (Old) 747 N194UA in service (until 6 Jan 2011)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Non-reconfigured (Old) 747 N194UA in service (until 6 Jan 2011)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2010, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by gatelouse
I agree that UA tries to avoid flying the old bird on premium or particularly competitive routes. But the 74C subs on UA664 tend to occur ~12 hours in advance, not ~2 hours prior to departure. So I suspect that there's something more to this story than the plane's not being ready in time. There's a deliberate, and early, decision to send N194UA overseas. The reason, only UA knows...
Perhaps a large oversell in C. The old bird has a lot more C seats, so that would reduce the number of premium pax that would have to be bumped..?
Old Oct 16, 2010, 12:23 am

Programs: Amtrak S+, HH GLD, AA 1MM, SPG, UA, TSA Disparager Gold
Exclamation SFO-ICN *again*, 10/17

Back from one ICN turn, and getting ready for another. 893(17) and 892(18) are flying the old config. 664/973 to continue flying the 74C config through 10/18.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 11:05 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by gatelouse
Back from one ICN turn, and getting ready for another. 893(17) and 892(18) are flying the old config. 664/973 to continue flying the 74C config through 10/18.
Yup. Goalie-parents are flying ORD-SFO on 10/18 on UA611 at 1pm and I'm looking at bump opportunities for them with 973 as one of the options and it's showing as a 47c
Old Oct 18, 2010, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K/ 1MM, SPG Plat
Hi guys,

Sorry if this is redundant, but 973 (ORD-SFO) is now definitely being swapped this week to new cabin 747. I'm travelling thursday and UA doesn't have the new seatmaps up yet, but UACARGO is showing as 47C. I'm travelling with a non-status passenger in NC so I want to make sure the upgrade retains. What's the most proactive thing I can do?

THanks for your advice!
Old Oct 18, 2010, 7:58 pm

Programs: Amtrak S+, HH GLD, AA 1MM, SPG, UA, TSA Disparager Gold
Sfo-pvg 10/19

Originally Posted by uapremier
Hi guys,

Sorry if this is redundant, but 973 (ORD-SFO) is now definitely being swapped this week to new cabin 747. I'm travelling thursday and UA doesn't have the new seatmaps up yet, but UACARGO is showing as 47C. I'm travelling with a non-status passenger in NC so I want to make sure the upgrade retains. What's the most proactive thing I can do?

THanks for your advice!
Historically, advance-cleared upgrades have "stuck" for 973/664 after a sub to 74C. Lots of reports above support this. UA appears to be releasing advance (48+ hr) NC upgrades as if the plane will be a 74C, so that C+F together aren't oversold. Once they're certain the old config will be flying, a deluge of NC upgrades clear.

So I wouldn't sweat it; though you might want to pick seat numbers that exist in both configurations to be extra-careful.

Where's it going now? To PVG as 857(19) and back as 858(21).
Old Oct 20, 2010, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K and MM, AA EXP
Originally Posted by uapremier
Hi guys,

THanks for your advice!
Make sure you pick a seat that is good on both planes!

I was pleasantly surprised upon boarding United flight 664 (SFO-ORD on a 747) early yesterday morning that the non-reconfigured plane had been swapped to a reconfigured one!

I had selected a seat on the upper deck that was good in both versions of the plane, so I was fine. Interestingly enough, I had been checking on UnitedCargo up until the day before the flight hoping it would switch, but nothing. The seat map up until the night before showed the old configuration.

Normally I like to look at planes from the terminal before boarding, and particularly bigger ones like the 747, but didn't have time yesterday to do so, so I was very excited upon boarding to see the new seats!

Very nice surprise--thanks, United!

Tim
Old Oct 20, 2010, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by TimInSF
Make sure you pick a seat that is good on both planes!

I was pleasantly surprised upon boarding United flight 664 (SFO-ORD on a 747) early yesterday morning that the non-reconfigured plane had been swapped to a reconfigured one!

I had selected a seat on the upper deck that was good in both versions of the plane, so I was fine. Interestingly enough, I had been checking on UnitedCargo up until the day before the flight hoping it would switch, but nothing. The seat map up until the night before showed the old configuration.

Normally I like to look at planes from the terminal before boarding, and particularly bigger ones like the 747, but didn't have time yesterday to do so, so I was very excited upon boarding to see the new seats!

Very nice surprise--thanks, United!

Tim
This is very good advice. I've twice had last minute changes from old C to new C on this route in recent weeks, and through dumb luck had picked (and retained) a seat that was fine on both old and new. Got very lucky flying ORD-SFO on Monday, when my wife and I were on separate record locators, not linked in any way (with me paid C and she upgraded C using my CR1). I'd fortunately switched us from 17 A and B to 16 A and B when the latter opened up a few days earlier, simply to be a bit farther from the galley. Not sure where we and especially she would have ended up if the booking had stayed 17 A and B, since those don't exist on the new C 747.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 4:20 pm

What to you recommend for UA 902 (IAD - MUC), not until January, but as far as seat selection in Biz that, if the plane is swapped out for a newly-configured one, we're guaranteed getting good seats - on either aircraft.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 4:49 pm

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by erankin
What to you recommend for UA 902 (IAD - MUC), not until January, but as far as seat selection in Biz that, if the plane is swapped out for a newly-configured one, we're guaranteed getting good seats - on either aircraft.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't UA902 on a 777?
Old Oct 20, 2010, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by Antipode
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't UA902 on a 777?
it is...i'm assuming the poster got confused between new/old config 777 and 744
Old Oct 21, 2010, 1:11 pm

Programs: United MP 1p, PC Ambassador, GP Platinum
OLD 747 Going Away

According to the earnings call today, if I heard correctly, this plane is going back to the desert. United is going to take a 747 that they've used for aux purposes and going to replace it with two CO 737-900s.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by IADtoWhere
According to the earnings call today, if I heard correctly, this plane is going back to the desert. United is going to take a 747 that they've used for aux purposes and going to replace it with two CO 737-900s.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 1:19 pm

They said that on the call? So, we'll see 739s on SFO-ORD soon?
Old Oct 21, 2010, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
replace it with two CO 737-900s.
And some Q400's

Fear not everyone.... they could always bring it back in the spring.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 4:06 pm

According to the earnings call today, if I heard correctly, this plane is going back to the desert.
You didn't hear correctly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.