Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Non-reconfigured (Old) 747 N194UA in service (until 6 Jan 2011)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Non-reconfigured (Old) 747 N194UA in service (until 6 Jan 2011)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2010, 10:07 pm

Programs: UA Gold
I saw N194UA for the first time today since it came back from the dead while on a MR in SFO. Just checked Flightaware, and it was inbound from Seoul.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 10:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Saw it at ORD

Took this bird at ORD. It's very nice.

IMG_7211 by sfflyer123, on Flickr
Old Sep 25, 2010, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gatelouse
I don't quite follow your argument. All I'm saying is that the old 747--as I understand it--is meant as a hot-spare for int'l 74C flights. So why is the "spare" flying across the Pacific while an apparently serviceable 74C is doing domestic turns?

Is something preventing this particular 74C from going overwater? Has UA altered the equipment rotations so that 664/973 are now part of a larger circuit, served by different aircraft each day? I don't get it.
It could be all about timing.

Where the airplanes in question are, where they are going, when the next scheduled maintenance check is due, which stations are qualified to perform that check (not all are), and the need for a particular airplane to be in a specific spot (say for a more lengthy maintenance check such as a gear change). It could many many things. Airplanes are not usually sitting around waiting for something to break.

For example, an airplane that can go ORD-Europe-ORD and then be in ORD for an A-check might be routed in place of an airplane that has three weeks left on it's A-check and therefore can go ORD-Asia-SFO-Asia-SFO-ORD. In this situation the first airplane would be out of place for its A-check and would not be used for such a routing.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
Originally Posted by planemechanic
Copy and paste any WSJ.com article title into Google and then click the wsj.com link that you get from the Google search. Any wsj.com link originating from Google will bring up the full article without any signon or password requirement.
Brilliant! ^

Interesting. I'm booked on 664 early November and its showing old config 747.
Right, it is still a 747 old seatmap. But with that many open seats, the point was that they are not clearing upgrades, and therefore might be implying a plane swap.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Sep 26, 2010 at 1:59 pm Reason: merge
Old Sep 26, 2010, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
I saw this bird being towed to the international terminal at SFO this morning. Nice to see it upclose, but this bird really needs a paint job.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
I saw this bird being towed to the international terminal at SFO this morning. Nice to see it upclose, but this bird really needs a paint job.
I said the exact same thing to myself yesterday. Parked next to a current livery 747, it just looks....dirty.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 6:40 pm

Off to PVG today (the 26th) as UA857..............
Old Sep 26, 2010, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Sept. 27 UA 664 SFO-ORD 6:01 a.m. changed from old to new 747 configuration

Thought I'd post this just in case any FTers are on this flight and want to check their seat assignments. A few hours ago I could not do online check-in; now I can and I still have the same (upgraded to C) seat I had previously been assigned. But the seat map indicates a new C configuration.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 9:28 am

Programs: UA 1MM Lifetime Gold, starting AK, Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Thought I'd post this just in case any FTers are on this flight and want to check their seat assignments. A few hours ago I could not do online check-in; now I can and I still have the same (upgraded to C) seat I had previously been assigned. But the seat map indicates a new C configuration.
Looks like the same thing is happening for tomorrow 9/28... no OLCI, .bomb still shows old seatmap but unitedcargo.com shows that it's now new config. I haven't cleared into C so I really wish .bomb would update and let me see where I am and improve it if possible.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by ccharles
Looks like the same thing is happening for tomorrow 9/28... no OLCI, .bomb still shows old seatmap but unitedcargo.com shows that it's now new config. I haven't cleared into C so I really wish .bomb would update and let me see where I am and improve it if possible.
As a 1P on Saturday, I cleared at the gate into the new C.. Not all hope is lost
Old Sep 27, 2010, 9:29 am

Location: San Francisco, CA USA // UA 1K 2 Million Miler, AA EXP 2MM, HH Diamond, SPG Plat // Easily found on SFO-ORDs
They must be expecting more swapping between configurations.

This Wednesday's 973 ORD-SFO shows WIDE open seat maps in F and C but not a single seat left to assign in Y -- and they're still selling tons of Y (all fare classes are 9s). Seems like they're waiting to clear any upgrades into C until they know which configuration's going to be flying.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 3:49 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Bitterroot
Off to PVG today (the 26th) as UA857..............
Ouch!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't let it do the same thing on Wed the 29th. I am on that flight and I paid extra $$ to change from ORD-HKG to SFO-PVG since C was sold out 3 weeks in advance on the ORD-HKG flight(!).

Looking at ualcargo I see it comes back to SFO on Tue AM and I can't find any activity for it until Thurs AM to ORD and back to SFO. Deferred MX in SFO?

Last edited by dmodemd; Sep 27, 2010 at 4:14 pm
Old Sep 27, 2010, 8:37 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Lifetime Gold, starting AK, Marriott Bonvoy
No doubt due to the swap to a 47C, tomorrow's UA664 SFO-ORD has been unavailable for checkin all day. Like a typically compulsive FTer, I've been looking off and on all day to see where I stand... er, sit. Still hoping for an upgrade, but certainly MUST get out of 38k buried deep in E-minus.

Just now the seatmap began showing the new config, and I thought I'd share the image since only rarely does one have complete freedom to choose any seat in E-plus.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 9:04 pm

Programs: Amtrak S+, HH GLD, AA 1MM, SPG, UA, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by ccharles
Just now the seatmap began showing the new config, and I thought I'd share the image since only rarely does one have complete freedom to choose any seat in E-plus.
Wow--the wide-open E+ section is nifty, but I've never seen E- so empty on 664 or 973. I wonder if they opened the flight for OLCI before reaccommodating everyone.

Forget E+, beeline to 33C/H! (And good luck on your upgrade.)
Old Sep 28, 2010, 7:26 am

I am on 664 Wed. 9-29. Looks like it will be a newly configured 747-400. On-line check in is not available, as the older 747-400 configuration was used as the seating chart. Fortunately in first class, the only difference is that there is no row 5 and I'm in 2A, so it should carry over without a hitch.
I fly 664 every week and it's always interesting when checking in on this flight; however, I will miss flying on the 747-400 when the 777's come on.

vincesf

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.