Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Non-reconfigured (Old) 747 N194UA in service (until 6 Jan 2011)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Non-reconfigured (Old) 747 N194UA in service (until 6 Jan 2011)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2010, 9:45 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Confirmed.

664 for tomorrow is a 47C. That's also the reason that I can't check in online. Well, maybe I'll get an op-up or upgrade. I'm currently in E+...
keep trying as olci will open up any where between t-24 and roughly 5 hours before departure once the a/c swap is fully loaded
Old Sep 24, 2010, 11:50 am
spk

Programs: TG*G
Originally Posted by nov11
Wow - I feel for you! Initially, I wanted to fly via SFO for more miles - but upgrades were a lot better ex-LAX. I am so glad I didn't make the switch from 891 to 837, otherwise I would have been stuck in the old configuration and be pissed!

If it's not too late, can you route through LAX - there are still plenty of seats available in F, C, and Y!
And looked like it turned around and operate today's UA838 NRT-SFO as well.

The F/A told me that the sub happened due to a cargo door problem on one of the 47C. If that's true, I can totally understand. The cargo door issue can be serious and some airliners crashed because of faulty cargo door in the past. So, United, take your time and fix it well.

But again, I'm in F. The old First Suite is flat bed so not much difference in terms of comfort, and I slept most of the way any way. For IFE, I use my own iPad. The people in Business were not so lucky, though.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 5:36 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
There is a report in today's Wall Street Journal that this plane will be leased to another airline in the fall to fly outside of the USA.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by 1kBill
There is a report in today's Wall Street Journal that this plane will be leased to another airline in the fall to fly outside of the USA.
That's too bad. I've tried to fly on it twice, and the first time we were downgauged to a 777, while the second time, which is tomorrow, has been switched to a 47C..
Old Sep 24, 2010, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by spk
The cargo door issue can be serious and some airliners crashed because of faulty cargo door in the past. So, United, take your time and fix it well.
And that include one of UA's 747 some 20+ years ago as well, while taking off from HNL to SYD. While the plane didn't crash, but it did blow out a huge hole and suck out 9 people.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 10:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
And that include one of UA's 747 some 20+ years ago as well, while taking off from HNL to SYD. While the plane didn't crash, but it did blow out a huge hole and suck out 9 people.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Airlines_Flight_811
Old Sep 24, 2010, 10:13 pm

Programs: Amtrak S+, HH GLD, AA 1MM, SPG, UA, TSA Disparager Gold
What I don't get is why the old config keeps doing Asia
turns while 664/973 get subbed with...a 74C with lie-flats. Why not send the latter over the Pacific to begin with? Does UA want to keep a 74C close to home for some reason?
Old Sep 24, 2010, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by gatelouse
What I don't get is why the old config keeps doing Asia
turns while 664/973 get subbed with...a 74C with lie-flats. Why not send the latter over the Pacific to begin with? Does UA want to keep a 74C close to home for some reason?
I think people want their flight to be ontime rather than to have a better seat, as people are not just flying for pleasure, there are many people also fly for business, once they get off the plane, they go right to a meeting or have enough rest for the next work day. There are also people making connections especially for NRT and ICN.

You do know if they send another 47C from ORD it would take 4.5 hours right ? So for that 47C to sub for a flight, it means the flight departing SFO would have a delay of 5+ hours, it then also affect for the return flight, end up chronic delays.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 10:54 pm

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
Do you have a link to that article? And if they do loose the 747, how are they going to make up the lost capacity?
Old Sep 25, 2010, 12:06 am

Programs: UA 1K-MM
Originally Posted by Infinite1K
Do you have a link to that article? And if they do loose the 747, how are they going to make up the lost capacity?
They have other 747s parked in the desert - if they really need the capacity (unlikely over winter) they can pull another on out.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 8:04 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Here. The article is titled "Increases in Airline Capacity Stir Worries That Turnaround Will Stall"

The WSJ website may require subscription. The reference to the UA 747 is in the last paragraph:

"United Airlines has been one of the most conservative airlines on the capacity front. Still, some rivals griped when it put a retired 747 back into service over the summer. But the big plane served only as a spare and will be leased to another airline this fall to fly outside of the U.S."
Old Sep 25, 2010, 8:29 am

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
Here. The article is titled "Increases in Airline Capacity Stir Worries That Turnaround Will Stall"

The WSJ website may require subscription. The reference to the UA 747 is in the last paragraph:

"United Airlines has been one of the most conservative airlines on the capacity front. Still, some rivals griped when it put a retired 747 back into service over the summer. But the big plane served only as a spare and will be leased to another airline this fall to fly outside of the U.S."
Thanks.

That might explain why UA973 is showing NC0 at the end of October, even though there are 58 out 73 seats open
Old Sep 25, 2010, 9:31 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Anybody know if N194 is leased or owned by UA? Wondering if the lease in the fall will be by UA or by another company.

That might explain why UA973 is showing NC0 at the end of October, even though there are 58 out 73 seats open
Interesting. I'm booked on 664 early November and its showing old config 747.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Copy and paste any WSJ.com article title into Google and then click the wsj.com link that you get from the Google search. Any wsj.com link originating from Google will bring up the full article without any signon or password requirement.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 9:55 pm

Programs: Amtrak S+, HH GLD, AA 1MM, SPG, UA, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
You do know if they send another 47C from ORD it would take 4.5 hours right ? So for that 47C to sub for a flight, it means the flight departing SFO would have a delay of 5+ hours, it then also affect for the return flight, end up chronic delays.
I don't quite follow your argument. All I'm saying is that the old 747--as I understand it--is meant as a hot-spare for int'l 74C flights. So why is the "spare" flying across the Pacific while an apparently serviceable 74C is doing domestic turns?

Is something preventing this particular 74C from going overwater? Has UA altered the equipment rotations so that 664/973 are now part of a larger circuit, served by different aircraft each day? I don't get it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.