Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Non-reconfigured (Old) 747 N194UA in service (until 6 Jan 2011)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Non-reconfigured (Old) 747 N194UA in service (until 6 Jan 2011)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2011, 12:11 am

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
+1

I'd love to see a 744 on ORD-HNL! That flight is longer than ORD-LHR..
I saw one sub on that route last January, before 194 went back into service. 744s appear on the route every once in a while as they are the only aircraft in the fleet other than the 772 with the range for that route. The 3 class 744 has slightly fewer seats than the 2 class 772.

194 is reported as going to Atlas Air, unknown if it is a lease or sale.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 12:57 am
Suspended

Troop Charters to the "desert" aka Afghanistan with Atlast Air. Is it going to be a wet lease, dry lease, or sale? And is it 8194 they're using or one of the other 5?
Old Jan 7, 2011, 7:26 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by UAL awesome
Troop Charters to the "desert" aka Afghanistan with Atlast Air. Is it going to be a wet lease, dry lease, or sale? And is it 8194 they're using or one of the other 5?
If it is Atlas I would assuse it is a dry lease.

I also assume it would be N194UA, as CW suggested that the other 5 were due for heavy checks (and N194UA got one before coming back to the UA fleet).

Last edited by jhayes_1780; Jan 7, 2011 at 9:16 am
Old Jan 7, 2011, 9:11 am

Programs: UA MM Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Upper Deck Memories

Old Jan 7, 2011, 10:48 am

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Barcalounger, barcalounger, where is thou barcalounger?
Old Jan 10, 2011, 7:13 pm
Suspended

According to A.net (so take it FWIW), she's being leased to Atlas for 2 years.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by UAL awesome
According to A.net (so take it FWIW), she's being leased to Atlas for 2 years.
This is good for us regular international flyers...
Old Jan 11, 2011, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by ainternational
This is good for us regular international flyers...
Yes, now your flight will be cancelled or significantly delayed if a mechanical issue arises instead of substituted with a serviceable, if subpar, aircraft.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 10:57 am

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by boolean64
Yes, now your flight will be cancelled or significantly delayed if a mechanical issue arises instead of substituted with a serviceable, if subpar, aircraft.
Possible, but I'd expect that old bird to have more issues than the other planes! Those seats in the upper deck were falling apart. I trust "under the hood" to only be marginally better!
Old Jan 12, 2011, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With new routes coming on stream (LAX-PVG-LAX) this seems to tighten spare a/c even more. Any chance they might pull another 744 out of storage come spring? Or, are we about to see consolidations/cancellations of CO/UA routes?
Old Jan 12, 2011, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by JeepGuyDE
Can't help but noting how nostalgic this photo makes me. I know I'll get flamed for this, but, with the exception of entertainment and laptop power, I really preferred the old C seats, especially on the upper deck -- I just felt far less claustrophobic than the new seats, and the slight difference in maximum recline just never made any difference to me. And, in the old C seats, there was an amazing technical innovation -- underseat storage space!
Old Jan 12, 2011, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Bonvoy
Originally Posted by Starman
Can't help but noting how nostalgic this photo makes me. I know I'll get flamed for this, but, with the exception of entertainment and laptop power, I really preferred the old C seats, especially on the upper deck -- I just felt far less claustrophobic than the new seats, and the slight difference in maximum recline just never made any difference to me. And, in the old C seats, there was an amazing technical innovation -- underseat storage space!
+1 I feel the same way. I'm small and feel claustrophobic laying down in the new seats. The old seats also have another amazing technical innovation - a place to store your stuff in the back of the seat in front of you instead of it falling out all the time.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I always felt comfy in 16A with that little extra space/pitch and a generous recline. Plus the extra 19 C-seats came in handy in tight upgrade situations.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 3:01 pm
Suspended

Possible, but I'd expect that old bird to have more issues than the other planes! Those seats in the upper deck were falling apart. I trust "under the hood" to only be marginally better!
194 was just as mechanically maintained as the other 747s in the fleet.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
There are many 777 that has old interior are far worst than the old bird, espeically those that have carpet on the walls.

Mechanical wise, none of those chronic ORD-HKG (there is a thread delicate to that route) mechanical delays were because they were using that old bird at all.

When ORD-SFO-ORD was using this old bird, the times when it sub for another 747 usually not because of mechaical, it is because it used it to cover other 744 that broken down somewhere, so it was often seen flying across pacific out of SFO. This plane got D check recently, so it would be better than many out there except the interior.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.